Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2006, 22:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Simota air intake

First of all K&n sucks.I am their customer and i feel that they aren't worth the money spent on them.Basically for show. So whats the deaal with Simota air filters and intakes.How much,how good and which one for a swift and a Ki-ho?

binz

Ps:searched extensively on the forum but didn't find anything specific.

Last edited by binz : 27th August 2006 at 22:09.
Old 27th August 2006, 22:23   #2
BANNED

As long as I know, Simota is not much suitable for our climate and atmosphere conditions in India. Ofcourse, Bangalore is the garden city of india but the air pollution is the same like other parts of India right?
So before you nail K&N, think about other options well.

I've found K&N to be trouble free and quite worth the money. Their stock replacement filter is very cheap and can do wonders to the car's engine character. So, I dunno what are you trying to explain by saying K&N is only show and how it SUCKS!
BTW, it is meant to suck is'nt it?
I mean suck air!!
Old 27th August 2006, 22:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why do u feel K&N suck?? Have u used any filter (other brand) which is better and available here??

BTW, there are lots of other brand filters out there, just that K&N has become well known thanks to the marketing and ads.
Old 27th August 2006, 22:32   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Why do u feel K&N suck?? Have u used any filter (other brand) which is better and available here??

BTW, there are lots of other brand filters out there, just that K&N has become well known thanks to the marketing and ads.
And service ofcourse!
Old 27th August 2006, 23:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why do Feel k&n sucks?
Say a k&n stock replacement for a swift costs 4000 bucks while in the US, It retails for just below Rs1400.Atleast in india,you are paying for the marketing and not for the product itself IMO.(agreed there would be shipping duties etc,but that does not justify the price.)

I read on this very forum that there are better filters out here which are cheaper and perform better.K&Ns do their job no doubt about that but when it comes to vfm,i would prefer to stay away.

I picked up a k&n for my ki-ho sometime back.2000 friggin bucks.And the only difference was sound.Bike topped out at the same speed,pick up was the same and worse,mileage dropped from 18kmpl to 15kmpl under normal riding.My point basically is why spend 2k+vat for a K&n when i could get a port job done and a decent filter for 1k.

Now for the show-off part.In the autopsyche barracuda thread,you will notice that the car has NOS stickers all round,but in reality the car has got a Zex kit.So why the nos stickers?You will find the answer given by arush.Same thing applies here.

Does this mean that Nos is better than Zex,not necessarily...maybe or maybe not.In the same manner,even if i put a simota filter on the car or bike,im still going to put a K&n sticker.I think you got my point.

Anyway this thread is not about K&n functionality so let us not deviate any further.

Thanks,

binz

Last edited by binz : 27th August 2006 at 23:24.
Old 28th August 2006, 00:02   #6
BANNED

Simota air filters dont have any wool or cotton or paper filtering in it. They do the job using very fine steel mesh. In theory there's no filtering happening. The steel mesh which is supposed to hold the filter by itself turns out to be the filter. I'm very curious of it's life in our country where humidity and pollution is way too high. And the steel mesh could get damaged/clotted by the dust our roads produce. This is the reason of not many performance filters not selling well in India. Marketing is not only the backbone of any product's success, but also it's durability, performance etc..

Binz man!
You've started a thread with the title of Simota. But yor first line starts with K&N sucking! And I dont think not many K&N fans (including me) will be happy about that. They're going to jump on it. So you can expect it and count it as natural. And if you want it really to be avoided, please PM one of the mods and ask him to delete that first line. Ofcourse, IF ONLY YOU WANT IT.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

oye..i completely forgot about this thread.Need a conical filter desperately for the baleno.
K&N is out of the question(cannot afford)so i need to choose between R-active and simota.
MOre inclined towards Ractive coz of the number of satisfied people on this forum.So,which one should i buy and where can i pick it up?

EDIT

Just went to the Pj speed site.

COnfused over whether i should go in for the EV500 or the SF100.

EV500
Extremely light weight & rugged polyurethane construction - 39% weight savings over traditional high performance filters. Epoxy coated galvanized steel mesh is extremely rugged and will not deform even under turbo & supercharged applications. Built in velocity stack. No adhesive wicking onto filter media. Competitor's adhesive wicking onto filter media effectively reduces filter breathing area.

SF100
The filter combines a cotton fiber element with stainless steel mesh structure in a conical design, improving performance by increasing bottom torque and overall horsepower. The filter will fit any 3 " diameter pipe.

The SF has very similar specs to the K&Ns.Again which one??

K&N vs SIMOTA
:: SIMOTA RACING SPORTS ::

Last edited by binz : 5th January 2007 at 11:28.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Binz man!
You've started a thread with the title of Simota. But yor first line starts with K&N sucking!
Sorry!I meant k&n sucking in terms of VFM.You know the discussions that happen outside the forum,you know what i mean.Infact,im a big fan of their products.ITs their pricing which gets you.They were soo cheap when they launched~!

Last edited by binz : 5th January 2007 at 11:32.
Old 5th January 2007, 12:46   #9
BANNED

It seems that you want to get yourself a good filter but K&N!!
Go for a GreenCotton!! They're better than K&N too!! Psycho will know better how to get your hands on one of those.
Old 6th January 2007, 01:32   #10

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

but arent green cotton filters even more expensive than k&n.
i have a k&n filter on my zen and am very happy with it but agree with binz on the fact that its too expensive.
i have a friend who has a simota filter on his zen.looks exactly like the k&n.he hasnt faced any problems with it a s yet.he has been using it for the last 20k kms.
simota has different kinds of filters.one is the stailnless steel mesh and the other is the cotton filter(looks like the k&n)
the last time i checked a k&n universal filter(conical) for 1.6ltr costs 7k.
so i have recently purchased the ractive sf100 for my siena1.6 from pjspeed.will update when i fit it and run the car a bit.
Old 6th January 2007, 02:31   #11
BANNED

Could somebody please put up the price tags of Simota & Ractive?
That'll be much helpful to all.

Green cotton filters are expensive. Yes, more than a similar K&N.
Old 6th January 2007, 09:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Could somebody please put up the price tags of Simota & Ractive?
I very recently purchased the Ractive SF100. Am not sure if I can put the price up here, but you may contact PJSpeed for the details. He's not very active on the Internet/forum, so it may be a better idea to phone him.

His cell# is on his website - PJ SPEED SHOP

Regards
Old 6th January 2007, 13:59   #13
BHPian

Man I have a simota bomb shell filterin my swift and it performs to its mark and even better if well taken care of so I stand by my Simota
Old 6th January 2007, 14:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

If simota is not good enough and K&N is too expensive, why not try Pipercross? They have a foam type filter which is new method of filtration and performs pretty well too. I'll be testing them on a couple of cars next week.

Old 6th January 2007, 14:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

One of our members had a pipercorss on his cars and dint like it.(forgot exactly why)..someone then mentioned that pipercross are more suited to the drag strip.
But heck,if its cheap and its does what its supposed to do,then i want it;approx price please??

Last edited by binz : 6th January 2007 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks