Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 16:30   #136
BHPian

Re: Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?

The active ingredient in the Honda tape is capsaicin which is also the active ingredient in pepper spray. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to simply spray key locations under the bonnet with pepper spray to keep the rats away.

Just an example of pepper spray: http://www.amazon.in/ChilliGuard-CH2.../dp/B00FQB9H3Y
Cheap too!

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 15th February 2016 at 16:31.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 21:32   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got it! Will get it fixed whenever any of the cars go in for their next service and update on the effectiveness.

Attachment 1476672
Wow you really got it!
Do keep us updated about anything we've to be careful on installation and also the life of its effectiveness. (Really curious!)
Old 16th February 2016, 10:54   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Got it! Will get it fixed whenever any of the cars go in for their next service and update on the effectiveness.

Attachment 1476672
How much did you pay ?
Old 16th February 2016, 14:10   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The active ingredient in the Honda tape is capsaicin which is also the active ingredient in pepper spray. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to simply spray key locations under the bonnet with pepper spray to keep the rats away.

Just an example of pepper spray: http://www.amazon.in/ChilliGuard-CH2.../dp/B00FQB9H3Y
Cheap too!
But the main concern is its prolonged weather tested effectiveness.
Pepper spray wouldn't stand the test of time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
How much did you pay ?
For your reference reattached the link to the product. (cost 35$ = 2400 Rs approx)

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-231.../dp/B00AJTG3N0

Last edited by johannskaria : 16th February 2016 at 14:12.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 15:11   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
But the main concern is its prolonged weather tested effectiveness.
Pepper spray wouldn't stand the test of time for sure.

It's true that the pepper spray coating wouldn't last long however, it's cheap and must easier to do than the electrical tape. This could be a cheap DIY solution that could be part of regular maintenance, possibly during washing one's car regularly.

Electrical tape is probably the better long term solution but it's a lot more expensive than pepper spray and difficult to do...
Old 11th March 2016, 13:42   #141
BHPian

The trick for pictured Red Audi with reversed tarpaulin didn't last long. What worked was a 60 W yellow bulb encapsuled in a mechanics bulb holder, left on overnight everynight.
Rodents are afraid of light and with the bulb on every night, the problem hasn't come for the last 2 years.
Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it is worth a shot, since it hardly costs anything.
The connection for the bulb is taken from my society's plug point. It won't be a workable solution for cars parked on the road.
riteshritesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 21:26   #142
BHPian

Hi,
I haven't gone through the whole post and please excuse if this is already suggested.

Pick tobacco leaves from a country medicine store.
Place it in the engine bay and also if you can manage to place it under the running board.

This is a perfect deterrent. You can also use a few cigarettes but they are less effective.

This helped with my cars.
manjith_pm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 13:08   #143
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I had got all the tar brushes placement checked at the Mahindra official service center, And they agreed that all of them are well placed and doesn't affect any part of the engine bay in any harmful way.
Hi Tanveer,

I'm getting these fitted. Can you please advise how many should be fitted in a large engine bay? Example: Your XUV500 - how many were fitted in total?

Any other tips for fitting?

Thanks!
Old 16th March 2016, 14:45   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tanveer,

I'm getting these fitted. Can you please advise how many should be fitted in a large engine bay? Example: Your XUV500 - how many were fitted in total?

Any other tips for fitting?

Thanks!

Hi !

I have got 7 fitted in my XUV's engine bay and 6 in jetta's, Just make sure the strap is securely fitted so the brush doesn't bounce around or rather fall off while the car is in motion, Also make sure the Tar is not rubbing agaisn't any pipes or wires.

Don't put several brushes together, Mix it all up and cover the whole area, Specially those spots were there are places for a rat to sit.

If you need any more help let me know.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 12:15   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have got 7 fitted in my XUV's engine bay and 6 in jetta's, Just make sure the strap is securely fitted so the brush doesn't bounce around or rather fall off while the car is in motion, Also make sure the Tar is not rubbing agaisn't any pipes or wires.
Thanks Tanveer! Someone in the UK seems to have copied your idea - rodent brush.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 18:43   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So what I'm trying out is a combination of:

- SS-Traveller's nail board idea
- Tanveer_2558's tar brush recommendation
- My original fencing concept

Tar brush @ 35 bucks each. Very good quality (found better ones at Lohar Chawl than Dadar W). Created a border around the car with about 70 of them, brought together on a thin plywood strip. Cut off the edges to make it continuous. Going to fix magnets at each corner to hold them in place.

If I want to take my car out, I only have to remove the rearmost strip and drive away. It's very light too - anyone could lift it without effort.

If this works, I'm sorted. But as a longer-term solution, I'm still keen on the idea of a 2-feet tall aluminium border around the vehicle.

Over & above this border, I've also fixed:

- The Honda rat repellent tape (recommended by johannskaria)

- Autoshine rat repellent spray

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160328-16.44.26.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160328-16.44.39.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160328-16.45.03.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160328-16.44.48.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 19:30   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what I'm trying out is a combination of:

- SS-Traveller's nail board idea
- Tanveer_2558's tar brush recommendation
- My original fencing concept

Tar brush @ 35 bucks each. Very good quality (found better ones at Lohar Chawl than Dadar W). Created a border around the car with about 70 of them, brought together on a thin plywood strip. Cut off the edges to make it continuous. Going to fix magnets at each corner to hold them in place.

If I want to take my car out, I only have to remove the rearmost strip and drive away. It's very light too - anyone could lift it without effort.
Please be very careful while removing the tar brushes, A single slight tap on tar brush and you can be sure of bleeding (Speaking from past experience) Its a good idea, Do keep us posted how practical do you find it in the coming days.

Quote:
If this works, I'm sorted. But as a longer-term solution, I'm still keen on the idea of a 2-feet tall aluminium border around the vehicle.
I have seen some huge rats in my building being able to jump as well, Now looking at the pictures you have posted i don't think they should try jumping the tar brush wall, But do keep a check inside the fence if you see any rat dropping by chance (Better to keep a check before hand)

Good job mate, Hope it solves your rat issue and keeps yours beast safe
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 22:30   #148
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please be very careful while removing the tar brushes, A single slight tap on tar brush and you can be sure of bleeding (Speaking from past experience) Its a good idea, Do keep us posted how practical do you find it in the coming days.

I'm still going to try & deploy them in the engine bay, Tanveer (as per your original suggestion). However, things under the bonnet are incredibly tight with very little clearance.

Quote:
I have seen some huge rats in my building being able to jump as well, Now looking at the pictures you have posted i don't think they should try jumping the tar brush wall, But do keep a check inside the fence if you see any rat dropping by chance (Better to keep a check before hand)
. Thanks for all the suggestions! I wouldn't even have thought of tar brushes if it weren't for your posts.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 15:16   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Created a border around the car with about 70 of them, brought together on a thin plywood strip. Cut off the edges to make it continuous. Going to fix magnets at each corner to hold them in place.
Great idea and superb execution GTO Sir! But how tall is that wall next to the car. What if the bugger (rat) jumps from top of the wall and lands right inside the fence.

Btw, this fencing looks cool! Will also keep other unwanted elements at a safe distance from the car.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:26   #150
ZMG
BHPian

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread earlier, but one easy and cheap solution is to wrap a piece of tobacco ( you get sticks in the market, or use the BABA 120 tobacco powder from the local cigarette shop) in a handkerchief and knot it in the bonnet at a safe place where the cloth will not get heated (so that it does not catch fire).

Another option is the to crush the tobacco, make a solution with water and use a paint brush to just run it over components in the bonnet.
Keep the cloth moist from time to time.

Rats stay away from the smell of Tobacco.

I have used this on my cars, and rats have stayed away.

Thanks,
ZMG

Last edited by ZMG : 3rd April 2016 at 13:28.
ZMG is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed