Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 01:36   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?

It turns out that I am not the only one who has been puzzled, for a long time, as to why these things are called "tar brushes."

I thought I'd post this enlightening exchange from another thread. It may be helpful to non-Hindi-speakers, and those with other local languages. It's also fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... ... ... I think this is what I call a wire brush. That is what painters and workmen in UK would call it. ... ... ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes sir ! When I first asked the shop keeper for industrial wire brushes, he was flummoxed. Looks like I was speaking a different language. Then his face showed recollection when I said tar brush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I too couldn't figure out for months where or how these brushes were used to apply tar (as in bitumen), until my wife looked at me like I'm stupid, and said 'tar, as in wire in Hindi'. Really felt dumb then.
Quote:
Wonderful!

Thank you so much for solving the mystery. ... ... ...
The posts are snipped. Follow the links to that thread for the complete conversation
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hi, Glad you opted for my solution, Do share your feedback here soon.
Last two 2 days it was raining heavily and the car was unused for both days of the weekend. Perfect scenario for a rat attack. I opened the hood in the morning today to check any rodent activity and was pleasantly surprised that were no unpleasant droppings, smells and disturbances. Cranked the car and she started just fine. The wire/Tar brush is a success and i hope i don't have to ever keep tobacco and keep looking under the hood almost every day henceforth.

Thanks a lot again for this brilliant idea Tanveer.

Quote:
It turns out that I am not the only one who has been puzzled, for a long time, as to why these things are called "tar brushes."
Nopes, i was confused too. Even i thought it was related to the road construction Tar till i realized its's code mixed word in Hindi.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Last two 2 days it was raining heavily and the car was unused for both days of the weekend. Perfect scenario for a rat attack. I opened the hood in the morning today to check any rodent activity and was pleasantly surprised that were no unpleasant droppings, smells and disturbances. Cranked the car and she started just fine. The wire/Tar brush is a success and i hope i don't have to ever keep tobacco and keep looking under the hood almost every day henceforth.

Thanks a lot again for this brilliant idea Tanveer.
Glad your tension free too now! Just keep a check on the strap which are holding the brushes every couple of months, I still haven't changed any straps since years now but still just to be sure, Do spread the word around and help others as well who are facing this issue.

Quote:
i was confused too. Even i thought it was related to the road construction Tar till i realized its's code mixed word in Hindi.
Some people will understand it as a wire brush/ Tar brush and there was also one more name which i can't recollect now, Whatever the name maybe as faar as it solves our problem.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last two 2 days it was raining heavily and the car was unused for both days of the weekend. Perfect scenario for a rat attack. I opened the hood in the morning today to check any rodent activity and was pleasantly surprised that were no unpleasant droppings, smells and disturbances. Cranked the car and she started just fine. ...

Had poped the hood in morning and was dismayed to find rat droppings on the battery. It was raining continuously for 2 days sat and sun and car was unused for sun only. I hope the rat got bruised by the brushes and wont come back. I am thinking of fixing a brush on the battery as well. Dont know what else to do.
Old 30th August 2016, 19:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had poped the hood in morning and was dismayed to find rat droppings on the battery. It was raining continuously for 2 days sat and sun and car was unused for sun only. I hope the rat got bruised by the brushes and wont come back. I am thinking of fixing a brush on the battery as well. Dont know what else to do.
Recheck the places you have attached the brushes, Make sure you cover the total engine bay from all the sides, We can sometimes under estimate the intelligence of these rats, They find ways to get into the spot where they want to, All we should do is, Block all the paths and places that lead to places where visible wires are located.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 13:54   #171
Senior - BHPian

Attaching pics of the brush setup. I had observed rat droppings on the battery last week. I tried fitting a brush in that area but was not successful. I will observe for a few days and see for any signs of intrusion and try and attach the brush again if needed. I had cleaned the engine bay hence the wetness in the pics. I still think the existing brush setup is a good deterrant for repeat offences for rats.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160903_072445.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160903_072437.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160903_072424.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160903_072418.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd September 2016 at 14:05.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:03   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching pics of the brush setup. I had observed rat droppings on the battery last week.
They climb from the bottom. See if you can move the brushes near the bottom of engine bay, near the places where there are gaps for the rodents to climb.
Shashankjk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 09:56   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had opened the yesterday and again found some rat droppings on the battery. Now judging from the size of the poop droppings it seems to be a small rat. Also the last time the size of the droppings was small meaning and i hope that it was a different but rat. My last post was last month so i hope those buggers grow big in a month.

Anyways i am not sure now how to safeguard the battery. The good news is the places where there are brushes installed are safe and there is no violation in terms of droppings etc there. I have also installed a additional brush between the air filter console and the battery but i am perplexed as to how the fix the battery issue.

I don't want to install a brush on the battery as it might not allow the hood to close properly. Any suggestions? I am thinking of making something homemade spikes eg using old leather belt and paper pins to be affixed on the battery.
Old 27th September 2016, 22:56   #174
BHPian

Just saw a new product of Amazon. Not sure how effective it is.

Autoglaze - Car Rat Repellent - 2 nos. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01FOC23SU/..._KAQ6xbJKBEMQW
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 09:56   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't want to install a brush on the battery as it might not allow the hood to close properly. Any suggestions? I am thinking of making something homemade spikes eg using old leather belt and paper pins to be affixed on the battery.
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160929_064816.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20160929_064821.jpg

So I created my own spikes pointy thingy to deter rats from making my car’s battery as their private bathroom. I made this with a broken rubber stand the kind you find at the bottom of shoulder bags etc. The place where it is sown to the bag was used to insert the paper pins and the base was glued by a plastic cover and further secured by insulation tape. The spike is secured to the battery by a zip tie.

Let’s see how this thing works on the rats. On a funny note my car’s engine bay is looking weirder the more anti-rat stuff I add to it. If there was a thread for a ‘weird and wacky engine bays’ I guess mine would be featured in it. Whenever I go to fuel pumps to get CNG I have to open the hood and I often get stares and smiles from people and they come to ask what the brushes are for. Some joke one for boot polish the other for brushing hair. I then have to explain the purpose for same to them.

On a serious note the last rat attack cost me directly+indirectly close to 22k so I really don’t care what people say and how weird the engine bay looks as long as those buggers stay away from car I am happy.
Old 28th October 2016, 09:16   #176
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, thought will share this idea. It is the foldable garage.

Maybe we can make a better and cheaper jugaad here.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:40   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
It is the foldable garage.
Fantastic expensive toy. Very desirable

But useless for rat control: look at the size of the gaps!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 06:27   #178

Sprinkle a packet of chilli powder over the engine bay once every 20 days or so to keep rats away. Its working.
Pink Floyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 09:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

It has been month now that my engine bay is free from rat nonsense. I am quite happy at the outcome. No rat now uses my battery as his bathroom ever since I put the home made spike. Yes the workmanship of same is not of high quality but man does it get the job done.

Also I covered the top 2 brushes with a 15 Rs Steelgrip insulation tape. This tape is supposed to be heat/fire resistant and also helps camouflage the brushes with the rest of the surroundings a bit. One can first wrap the brushes with the all black insulation tape before installing the brushes so that it does not look too odd.

Attaching a couple of pics of same.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20161101_070640.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20161101_070648.jpg

Also i would like to add i had given the car for service a couple of weeks back and the brushes survived the engine bay wash and remained intact. I had only removed the top right brush as a precaution since it was close to the air filter. Rest remained as they were.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st November 2016 at 09:42.
Old 1st November 2016, 18:17   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I covered the top 2 brushes with a 15 Rs Steelgrip insulation tape. This tape is supposed to be heat/fire resistant and also helps camouflage the brushes with the rest of the surroundings a bit.
Another idea: just saw the handles off?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks