Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 20:37   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another idea: just saw the handles off?
Yes that's very much possible with a hack saw etc but i chose the easy way out. However having the brush handles makes it easier to manage them without getting pricked while installing them.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 21:16   #182
BHPian

• Cats cannot enter the engine bay because of the net.

Kittens can. I once came upon a person standing outside the office gate with the bonnet open. Apparently the security guard as part of routine checking had opened the bonnet and spied the kitte n.

Last edited by kotirajendra : 1st November 2016 at 21:22.
kotirajendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:29   #183
BHPian

I am sick of these buggers now! Yesterday I did not take my car out and today morning when I unlocked my XUV, the auto headlamp triggered only the right side low beam.

Opened the hood to find out that the rat has chewed up my clear water pipe that runs from the windshield water reservoir to the spray nozzles. Next up, I start the car and voila, the check engine light remains ON and I could make out a rough note from the engine. Buggers must have chewed up some sensor wires and the wipers are also not working. I then switched up all my lights and guess what, my left side low beam is gone, and my right side high beam is gone along with right side fog lamp.

This is third time that the rats have played with my HID kit and this time, they have gone beyond HID and chewed up some sensor wires and wiper wires. In the earlier instance, I had to spend about 4k to get my HID ballasts changed as the wires were chewed up at the tip of the ballast from where the wires come out. I was using HIT every alternate day, spraying it in the wheel wells and it has been effective. Just missed out spraying it for about two weeks and this happens!!!

Called up the ASS and informed them that I am coming in for a complete diagnosis and I could sense engine knocking while accelerating between gears. Just dropped my car at the service center and told them to carry out the regular 20k servicing too as my car has done 175XXKms as of now.
TorqueTwist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 10:59   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
I am sick of these buggers now! Yesterday I did not take my car out and today morning when I unlocked my XUV, the auto headlamp triggered only the right side low beam.
This is the solution to your rat related misery. I have done same in my car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3722102
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:14   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This is the solution to your rat related misery. I have done same in my car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3722102
Though it looks ugly, I think I am left with no other option. Should scout around for such brushes now . But, even these brushes once fastened has to be monitored if not daily on a weekly basis as these brushes may cause a lot more damage to the engine parts if at all they come out lose and get in the way of the moving parts of the engine.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:12   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
Though it looks ugly, I think I am left with no other option. Should scout around for such brushes now . But, even these brushes once fastened has to be monitored if not daily on a weekly basis as these brushes may cause a lot more damage to the engine parts if at all they come out lose and get in the way of the moving parts of the engine.
Wrap the brushes with insulation tape if needed as it will camouflage the brushes to a certain extent. Attach the brushes away from the moving parts like the fan and the rubber belt etc. Also use min 3 plastic fasteners and they will be ok. I am using them close to a year now. You can monitor them once every 10 days and they will be fine. Also mark the places eg the battery top where a rat can sit on with a brush too. Yes they look ugly but they will save you several thousand bucks. Speaking of ugly rats have cost me over 27k in hard earned money over two different attacks. I have not seen those pests in my car ever since i have placed those brushes and also put on a home made spike on top the battery.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4066216

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th June 2017 at 13:14.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:51   #187
Senior - BHPian

I was at my garage to fix a minor issue when noticed below ina car's the engine bay. It belonged to elderly taxi driver who upon inquiring said he had put in amesh due to rat issues.Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20170618_121956.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 17:43   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

The last animal I found under my bonnet was a mongoose. The eye contact was split-second before it darted away, and probably never came back. Which is a pity, as it would probably be one of the most effective anti-rat devices ever!

But cats (and I found a cat-killed rat just a week ago), maybe with the assistance of a mongoose or two, are keeping my wires whole for now. And I always beep the horn before starting the engine at home. I do not want dead mammal sprayed around my engine, whether it is friend or an enemy!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 17:45   #189
Senior - BHPian

Cats have kittens, and kittens like to crawl into your wheel wall or somewhere warm like that and go to sleep. For a time when we had a female cat prowling our apartment, rats kept well away (especially because all the boy cats in the area would come to date her, the place became a strictly no rat zone for a long time). The only pitfall (not really, I love kittens but they get everywhere!!) was like I said having to suspect a kitten lurking under some part of your car every single time before you started it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The last animal I found under my bonnet was a mongoose. The eye contact was split-second before it darted away, and probably never came back. Which is a pity, as it would probably be one of the most effective anti-rat devices ever!

But cats (and I found a cat-killed rat just a week ago), maybe with the assistance of a mongoose or two, are keeping my wires whole for now. And I always beep the horn before starting the engine at home. I do not want dead mammal sprayed around my engine, whether it is friend or an enemy!
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 18:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Cats really are the most effective rat repellent. Since I feed and play with them they hang around under or near my car most of the time. One of them occasionally sleeps on the inside of the lower bumper grill. No rat troubles ever on any of our cars while recently a BMW and Merc had to get their wiring harnesses replaced after getting chewed up by rats leading to a expensive replacements ! A few other cars too have suffered rodent damage. In fact a few people who earlier used to complain about the cats are now requesting me to occasionally feed them near their cars to kind of increase the protection radius :P

If you know that cats and kittens are around then make sure to make a bit of noise while getting in the car and idle for a bit before driving off to give them enough time to escape. Usually its only in colder areas or monsoon/winter that they climb into the car for warmth otherwise in my experience they do not

Last edited by Mortis : 18th June 2017 at 18:30.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:40   #191
Senior - BHPian

I saw fresh droppings in the engine bay. I can't determine if it was rat/mouse/squirrel poop as it was smallish in shape. Googled images to see if it was squirrel type but can't seem to make out. I can't understand inspite of the wire brushes how do these rodents still manage to move freely under the hood. To taunt me it seems the rodent even pooped near my home made spike placed on the battery. Touch wood till now no damage has been done. I have sprayed water over the affected areas since those hairy thugs leave the droopings as a trail to move around. Best to keep looking under hood once a while as these are peak rodent infiltration days.

Below is link from this thread to understand my rodent defences.Did not take pic of the poop as I don't want to spoil anyone's day. Imagine Sunday morning googling rodent poop images to find which animal type it belongs too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4049067
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 11:05   #192
BHPian

I always keep my car covered in apartment's basement parking. Today morning, I woke up to this.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20170824_095744.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20170824_095615.jpg

A deep scratch on front right bumper
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20170824_095443.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20170824_095318.jpg

Seems it turned battleground for some cats yesterday night. Also found a fallen victim(Bottom right corner of last picture). Not sure, how I can deal with this cat menace.

Should I get a new cover now as there is no guarantee on how long that will last in these circumstances. Or should I continue with this torn one as it is covered parking and I take out the car mostly on weekends.

Eventually my car gets more scratches in apartment parking then in Bengaluru traffic
Suryendu87 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 12:21   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
I always keep my car covered in apartment's basement parking. Today morning, I woke up to this.

Eventually my car gets more scratches in apartment parking then in Bengaluru traffic
That doesnt look like a cat attacked your car/car cover seems more like a dog or a cat vs dog situation.

My Latest weapon against rats - Cats!
I have started feeding several stray cats around my cars so they act as watch cats and somewhat protect my cars
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 20:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
That doesnt look like a cat attacked your car/car cover seems more like a dog or a cat vs dog situation.

My Latest weapon against rats - Cats!
I have started feeding several stray cats around my cars so they act as watch cats and somewhat protect my cars
Correct. It looks like the work of a dog for sure or maybe a dog chasing a cat that climbed onto your car for safety ?

Cats do a splendid job of keeping the rats away
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 12:08   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hi !

I have got 7 fitted in my XUV's engine bay and 6 in jetta's, Just make sure the strap is securely fitted so the brush doesn't bounce around or rather fall off while the car is in motion, Also make sure the Tar is not rubbing agaisn't any pipes or wires.

Don't put several brushes together, Mix it all up and cover the whole area, Specially those spots were there are places for a rat to sit.

If you need any more help let me know.
Can you please share the co-ordinates of the mechanic who can do this in Bangalore (if you know)? I would love to get this done as a precautionary measure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks