Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 10:23   #91
BHPian

Re: Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?

Have any one tried sprinkling pepper powder around the car parking area?. Putting pepper powder eliminated rat menace in my case (Not in car scenario though).

Try putting pepper powder around and under the car in your garage.
DrvSafe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 17:00   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
Have any one tried sprinkling pepper powder around the car parking area?. Putting pepper powder eliminated rat menace in my case (Not in car scenario though).

I have heard that rats eat up anything (edible or inedible) and thats how they eat up the wires too. But if pepper repels them, it might be worth a try.

Cheers!!
Old 15th June 2015, 19:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishtin View Post
But if pepper repels them, it might be worth a try.

Cheers!!
Not quite sure how well Pepper manages to drive the Rats out but i have used Raw dried tobacco strips. They have worked for me amazingly well and Mr Ravi also has used the same with matching results.

However the next time I face the issue, will try with Pepper. But is pepper cheap?
Old 16th June 2015, 10:51   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Not quite sure how well Pepper manages to drive the Rats out but i have used Raw dried tobacco strips. They have worked for me amazingly well and Mr Ravi also has used the same with matching results.

However the next time I face the issue, will try with Pepper. But is pepper cheap?
Definitely cheaper than a fencing.. . I hope we all are talking about pepper (kali mirch!!)

Cheers!!
Old 16th June 2015, 11:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Red chilli powder will also work. However the problem is both of them - if they are powder - will get blown about and into the eyes / noses of bystanders whenever there is any breeze.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:48   #96
BHPian

I have the weirdest (but practical, nevertheless) suggestion. Get a few rat snakes and let them loose in your society compound ! They are hell for rats and harmless to humans, being non-poisonous . But let everyone know, to avoid panic, and murder of the useful creatures. Certainly more useful and less troublesome than keeping cats.

Years ago we were going nuts with mice chewing up everything inside the house, including telephone and TV wires. I simply bought a Red Sand Boa from a travelling snake charmer (they parade it as a 'two-headed snake' owing to its blunt tail) and let it free indoors. It slept in some corner during the day, safe from the dogs, and hunted at night. But there was a minor ruckus when, after running out of food, it landed up in a kitchen four houses away. But our house has been mouse-free since then !

On a more conventional note, rat poison, trap cages and jawed traps may be more useful in extermination of the pests. Try sprinkling carbolic acid - generally used in village homes to repel snakes - on the ground around the parking area. Easier (available at chemist shops) and cheaper than Dettol or chilly/pepper powder.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 01:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody actually observed a rat come of of its hole (or whatever) and get into the engine compartment.

Does it jump straight up or does it climb via the tires and suspension?
Old 21st June 2015, 01:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Has anybody actually observed a rat come of of its hole (or whatever) and get into the engine compartment.

Does it jump straight up or does it climb via the tires and suspension?
I have seen rats going all the way upto the engine compartment through the tyres and suspension, i have like seen it live.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
We have a major rat problem for the cars parked on the road outside our society. Some of the solutions that have been proposed in the past are:

1. Cigarette sticks.
2. Put rat poison cakes in the engine bay.
3. Run the car regularly.
4. Get some cats in the parking area.
5. Install metal brushes in the engine bay.
Update: Rats chewed up most of the glove box and some of the wires running into the air filter assembly. Have installed metal brushes in the engine bay and a metal mesh - jaali on the AC vent which opens in the engine bay. Hopefully will keep the rats out this time.

Thankfully the wires were reconnected with a patch job, apparently, the wiring replacement in the engine needs to be done all at once and costs upwards of 15k INR.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:13   #100
BHPian

Over the weekend, my boss who has an A class suffered a limp mode when he tried to get his car moving. On reporting it to the service center at sundaram, this is what they found. Mr Mickey had his damages worth a measly 10K. I thought it was getting lucky this time around. Here is the pic from under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img20150623wa0005.jpg  

Old 24th June 2015, 19:32   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

We have this bandicoot problem in our apartment parking lot. Several of the cars near my parking do not move out frequently and they are a nice resting place for these pests. Once can see their droppings under the bonnet of the cars that are parked for several days at a time.

Needless to say, my car also became a target and I could see these pests making the engine bay as their resting place and have nibbled through the wiper wash pipe. (Thankfully that's the only damage).

I tried everything from tobaccoo leaves (useless for bandicoots) to camphor (mildly successful) to a spray from ebay i bought (quite successful) to wire/bottle bristle brushes (not useful for bandicoots).

Finally came up with this solution and for 2 weeks now no signs of these pests droppings under my car. Though I can see droppings under the cars parked nearby.

Took an old doormat, cut it into desired sizes and pierced nails through it. Now, every evening I put these mats in engine bay and in morning before usage of car take them off. A kind of a ritual it has become but can't avoid it.

I have observed that with this mat + nails, there is less of free space for the pest to sit inside (if at all it wants to sit on nails) and in first place, getting into the engine from free space near firewall will mean going though a bed of nails for the bandicoot.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-ep1.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-ep2.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-ep4.jpg
khan_sultan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 20:29   #102
Senior - BHPian

The dogs in my apartment ensured the cats disappear.

After a rat gnawed through the injector wires on my car i ensure the car is started and moved in and out of the parking atleast once every alternate day.

And ive sprayed undiluted baygon in and around my parking. Its worked fine for the past 3 months.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 11:35   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
On reporting it to the service center at sundaram, this is what they found.
Damn, that looks awful! Ask your boss to take the necessary precautions, else he's looking at big $$$ repair bills the next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Finally came up with this solution and for 2 weeks now no signs of these pests droppings under my car. Though I can see droppings under the cars parked nearby.
Very unique, thanks for sharing! You place them only on top of the engine? I think there are enough resting points for the rascals below?
Old 28th June 2015, 21:41   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, that looks awful! Ask your boss to take the necessary precautions, else he's looking at big $$$ repair bills the next time around.

Very unique, thanks for sharing! You place them only on top of the engine? I think there are enough resting points for the rascals below?
Hi, i saw this ad in Olympia Honda advertising for a rat repellant called Tuf Kote. Understand that this spary affects the mucous membrane of the rats The ad says apply for 20 days and rats stay away from that car for the next six months atleast. Havent tried it but its worth trying.
Old 29th June 2015, 10:32   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhakarpn View Post
Tuf Kote
Tuf Kote is rubbish. Don't waste your money. It didn't work in 3 of my cars, all parked in different spots.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks