Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 09:23   #1
BHPian

I've just fitted a free flow exhaust on a 1.0 L gypsy.Although the pick up and power have gone up noticeably I'm still not getting that note.I spoke to the automech guys and was told it'll take about 1,000-1,500 kms to run in.Is this true ?? I have a mild steel system installed.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

think you can have three 'sounding' version of the automech thingy. Sound changes with carbon build-up ( read it somewher ..bike forum I guess). maybe you ordered a less sounding system.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:56   #3
BHPian

3 sounding ?? wazzat ?? btw the carbon build up thing the u spoke of,the same has been communicated to me by the company too.But don't u think 1K to 1.5K is quite some run in period ??
Old 29th August 2006, 10:02   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres
I've just fitted a free flow exhaust on a 1.0 L gypsy.Although the pick up and power have gone up noticeably I'm still not getting that note.I spoke to the automech guys and was told it'll take about 1,000-1,500 kms to run in.Is this true ?? I have a mild steel system installed.
Hi,

For the carbon to build up it will take around 200-300kms not 1000-1500kms and the sound will change but will not by leaps and bounds. The sound will only become more bassy.

Viper
Old 29th August 2006, 10:13   #5
BHPian

Automech exhaust not sounding sporty

This really depends on the muffler design and whether it has glass wool wrapped/filled into it?
If this is the case, glasswool will take some time to get burnt and will then produce a more louder sound. Should take around 1500-2000 km for this to happen.

ps: Listen to the note carefully, if it sporty but mild, then it makes sense for you to wait. But remember that the sound will definitely increase but not necessarily make it sportier if it is not already. If it is not sporty, it just speaks about the health of your engine/tuning or it can also mean that the header design is not right(which I doubt as automech are good at free-flows)
Old 29th August 2006, 10:31   #6
BHPian

thna x guys for your replies.I was getng really edgy 'bout this as I'd already fitted it and doubt if those people would have take it back.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

2 year old thread i know but it perfectly describes my problem.My Automech's started to sound like a stock one while driving.I have to strain to hear the vroom sound while upshifting.Heck i have even started using my ICE unit in the car which i had did away just to hear the Automech sound.
But then my car is pretty low mileage ,have just covered around 1200-1500 kms after getting the car fitted with the exhaust in March last year.I had also asked for a softer version of the sound.
Plus i am badly in need of good tune up which i will be getting done (hopefully) this week.Let's see if i can hear a difference in the sound after the tune up.
Will post the result after.

BTW i am going to get my car tuned from Milan Auto Electrical(Juhu,Santacruz).Anyones got their car tuned from them.I was quoted 350 Rs for the tune up job.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2008, 22:39   #8
BHPian

I have one installed in my Zen.
Done around 400kms after that. (don't ask car and me are in different locations and don't get a chance to drive it much after getting it installed around 3 months back)

Sounds great, it was very mild initially.
But as mentioned in the thread now the sound has increased a bit and has more "bass" to it.

@sumeethaldankar

Make sure there are no "leaks" in the exhaust.
The packing that is b/w the components has a funny way of working itself loose. I was lucky to get it right in the first go (no leaks) and went for a "tightening" up of the system after around a 100kms (you know once its run-in a bit)
Mechanic ji only suggested this, so I did.

And it works just fine
yzfrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2008, 23:05   #9
BHPian

sumeethaldankar ji, I checked out your video on Youtube, exhaust sounds ok.
Yeah she sounds as if she needs a tune-up.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:13   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The sound of a free-flow is mostly dependant on one simple component : the end can! It's the simplest to set right.....I know Automech does give you different options for sound. My original automech muffler sounded like stock uptil 3,000 rpms, and then got real loud as the revvs climbed up. The line of thought was to keep the car stock-like in regular driving, and a screamer only when high-revving. I asked for a loud setup (from low rpms itself) which was promptly taken care of the next day.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 20:55   #11
BHPian

What about the expansion chamber? Doesn't that contribute to the exhaust note?Never been to automech, but are their exhausts proven? Or are they just based on simple - sounds nice so we'll install on lots of cars?
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:31   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
What about the expansion chamber?
Yup, actually the entire exhaust system would contribute (directly or indirectly) to the sound quality. However, the end can is simplest!

Quote:
Never been to automech, but are their exhausts proven?
They are exhaust-masters and have a long list of satisfied customers, including yours truly. I like their work.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:47   #13
BHPian

Yeah but are they proven? Have cars been on rolling roads or anything after the exhaust installation? I am sure you know what your talking about, but alot of exhausts sound loud so people think they must be going faster. Its a phycological thing. You have what you call 'Rude Boys' here in the UK, and they drive 1.3L fiestas and stuff and put these big diameter exhausts on them. In one of the Max Power magazines (older issue) they put some of these cars onto a dyno and proved the exhaust were actually a waste.

I know in Pune there Sohail who does exhausts and i've had my Gypsy exhaust done from him, but i think we worked on it for a couple of mths(Never been tested professionly, but we were getting rid of flat spots and trying to move the torque around a bit). Even he admits that he's put loud or exhausts that sound nice on cars, when they probably do absolutely nothing for them.

I am only asking cause i have lost touch with the tuning scene in Bombay/Pune and interested to know what people are doing these days and the extent of modificatiosn being carried out. There used to be a select few that used to do these kind of things, but now there seems to be alot.

What car have you put your exhaust on?

Would be interesting to have thread where people can uplaod videos/sounds of their exhaust note.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:37   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've got the Automech system on my Vtec. However, the headers are from GReddy, so it would be difficult to credit any performance improvement to one.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:54   #15
BHPian

Anychace you can get a sound recording on here? Would be nice to hear it.
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks