Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 15:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!

There's just a simple explanation: Indians are attracted to anything shining. Be it gold jewellery, chrome touches on cars, anything with "gold finish".

Agreed, it spoils the original look of the car, but the owners want to shine right?

It depends on your taste. If you like subdued e
shades, you won't like the chrome on these cars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 15:42   #17
BHPian

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-polo_chrome_grill.jpg

Source

You can gouge my eyes out now.
TheLizardKing is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:06   #18
BHPian

Oh thank god i was not the only one, i was freaking out with all these new grills all over Vijayawada, i mean even XUV 500's, Innova's. Recently my cousin who bought an Xcent in vizag (thanks to my advice over swift vxi ) sent me his delivery pics with this grill installed, i was like and he told me they did it at the showroom itself, the hyundai dealer installed it for 2,000 INR with OEM grill exchange. I was like seriously? Hyundai dealer!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2015 at 16:50. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please go by the rules. Thanks!
autohead115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:18   #19
BHPian

These grills definitely gives you a sparkle like the one in toothpaste advertisements when on the road on a nice sunny day. Needless to say, when the vehicle in the opposite direction is wearing this Bling, it is sometimes(just sometimes) a distraction more than an attraction.

I spotted an Ecosport with a huge chrome grill, I think I have seen only one so far on an Ecosport and it is a big eye puncture!
Rover2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
O.T - Talking about grills, on Sunday we saw a Red State Transport bus with a Mahindra Scorpio type (tooth) grill.

Cheers!
Trojan
Hahaha! You mean this thing right?!

I've seen that contraption lot of times. They have a elongated version of the Scorpio grille. Imagine this thing chromed!

(image sourced from web.)
Attached Thumbnails
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-6294746874_bb62b769bd_b.jpg  

Na_sh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

These mesh grilles have become quite common everywhere in India. Many of them want to make their car look like a Jaguar .

Many who do not wish that their cars look like a Jaguar, feel they must have such a grille as every other i 20 or Swift or DZire or Innova any other car in these segments has been fitted with one and the owners are going gaga over it.

This is quite rampant in the B and C segment cars.

Overall, it is nothing else but a new trend in styling that has become a rage.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st July 2015 at 17:10.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:58   #22
BHPian

It is a common sight in Bangalore too these days. Swift/Dzire, New Innova and Nissan Sunny are among the ones I have spotted most with this mod. Innova with that 1 Acre chrome grill looks ugly at best IMO.
Cars like Elantra have elegant grill which gels well with rest of the face of Car. Only God knows why would one replace that with such a misfitting grill. Same for Ciaz!
Zinda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 17:00   #23
BHPian

Well, I've booked an i20 and was contemplating with the idea of putting this chrome grill. I discussed this with my sales Rep in the showroom and she discouraged me to apply it. Reason being if you have an underground or hard water supply in your area with which the car is cleaned, the chrome shine will soon turn black. Thus spending 5K will be a waste.
Considering this aspect, I have changed my mind and now planning to continue with the original grill.
Similarly I feel that this is a short term fad and may be after some time when the dullness creeps in, it will eventually wear out and start to look shabby.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 17:09   #24
BHPian

Talking about Chrome,

Kalyani Motors in Bangalore offers (Saw them on advertisements online) this swift as their own 'Platinum Edition'

Dont know availability at present. IMHO it dosent look so bad as some custom chrome grills shown in above posts
Attached Thumbnails
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-73784367.jpg  

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-73784373.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2015 at 15:09. Reason: Typo
Asish_VK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 17:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na_sh View Post
Hahaha! You mean this thing right?!

Imagine this thing chromed!
Yes, Bang on target

But highly creative, some respite for the boring drives that they have.

Anjan_C2007 - you are absolutely right, this started after Jaguars became a hit, not many had seen a Bentley in person.

Have also heard people referring to it as the 'Puma' logo car

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 17:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

I went to a good accessories shop @ Siliguri to check seat covers. The shop keeper was more interested in selling the BMW grille [for the new gen Scorpio] to me. Can't blame him either.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 18:43   #27
BHPian

A lot of car buyers fancy the chrome attachments these days. The car accessories outlets do not have much to offer to new car buyers as most of the cosmetics are company installed these days. The chrome grill has indeed become a rage and the car accessory outlets are making a quick buck out of it, irrespective of how hideous they might look on most of the cars and the best part is that people are buying and installing the same also. May be this accessory appeals to them by giving a richer look to their ride; from their point of view. As someone said that these are called the "Bentley Grills"

On the contrary they do look good in certain cars and certain shades, but again a very restricted clientele.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:19   #28
BHPian

I had a good laugh the other day when someone at work almost convinced me that the new Swift comes with this "jaali" as the stock option. I looked around and saw so many in the parking lot that I was also convinced before I checked Maruti's website.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:50   #29
BANNED

Call me ultra conservative, but I hate to make any changes to my car let alone such flashy modifications. My ride is as stock as it can be and I like it that way. I don't even have a stereo installed yet after 25k on the odo.
Off Topic: I manage with my Logitech Mini Boombox for music and Plantronics Car Bluetooth speaker for calls. And the best part is, it doesn't restart every time I crank the car at a traffic signal.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 21st July 2015 at 23:07.
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 23:02   #30
BHPian

Indians are usually fascinated by what others around them are doing, more obviously when the manufacturers are themselves selling chrome laden cars and term them as limited or premium. Looks like people are following the old adage a little differently -"When in (Ch)rome, do what the (Ch)romans do"

This said, i do respect that every body have their own opinion but to me chrome in so much volume is a big put off. I still love the understated and clean look of the vehicles with black grills and subtle mods like upgraded tyres and nice alloys. One of my friends have a car accessory shop and i have been amazed to know that they run out of chrome grills in the entire accessory market on certain days and potential buyers are ready to pay more if the grill is provided to them instantly. I feel the real elegance of a car is in adding things that suit her and not in adding shiny plastic, wherever possible. In north, this trend is pretty famous amongst taxi owners and college goers hatches and it feels amusing to see people driving their chromed up vehicles and feeling the bling of the chrome grill and ring.
NST440 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed