Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:24   #31
BHPian

Re: The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!

While I am guilty of the charge of using these chrome grills on my swift. But, somehow the darker color of my Swift gives it a good all over look. In total contrast to how hideous it looks on something like Scorpio, i10 grand or Nissan Sunny. IMHO the chrome grill looks good but on selective colors and selective models.

Coming to the point not discussed so far. The economics of the "bentley" grill.
These chrome grills for various cars are plastic grills coated with chrome layer which develops rust within 4-6 months of installation. Adding to that, the design makes it quite difficult to clean and maintain.

I remember the Maruti dealers selling it for some Rs.6000/- for Swift. The prices vary from 5000 to 10000 on portals like snapdeal etc. Essentially, all these grills are of same quality and same make. But, owing to the trend/fashion rage, they are being sold for any possible price.
The latest I heard, it was available for some Rs.600 in Kashmere Gate. My heart goes for a known who purchased it from Maruti Dealer for his brand New Swift for Rs.6000/- assuming it to be a genuine maruti accessory.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:26   #32
BHPian

IMO, when it comes to car accessories, it's really a matter of personal choice - so to each his own! Nothing it bad or good! That said, I think that the Bentley style grilles if available in matte black would look nice on some cars! I don't mind fitting one of those on my Figo!
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:41   #33
BHPian

I think that these bling mobiles should be banned by the government. While I do agree that what is too flashy to me is acceptable to many others and that is none of my business, you can't argue with the fact that all this chrome is BLINDING because of the suns/headlight reflection.
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

Bhpian Aditya@Pune bought a used Cruze that came with this horrendous looking grill. It is not only ugly, but also fitted very very poorly. If you aren't careful while removing it, you'll damage the bumper or the stock mounts of the OEM grill. Here's how it looked before and after:

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-before.jpg

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-after.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

I once had this infatuation for mesh grill, not necessarily chrome. I personally hate chrome. Today I am living with against my will is that excessive chrome on the new age XUV5OO
For most of the vehicles this chrome grill won't suit. But In my understanding majority of general public does this chrome grill to try to distinguish their own car from the rest. We have this craze of limited edition, special editions and what not! People literally buy that without even doing a match of what's limited or special in it. So this Chrome Grill is one such thing that people end up getting - partly due to falling prey to accessory shop owner's sweet convincing tactics too!
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

While I personally don't like many of these, I thought it suited some cars like a black Swift Dzire
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:12   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here's how it looked before and after:
What a transformation [for the better] Car looks just so good after the hideous grill is off.

Why are our brains wired so differently?
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

IMO nothing looks as hideous as the Mahindra signature buck tooth grille now on all their vehicles from a Gio to a truck!! I wonder who in Mahindra really loves their oversized choppers to put them on all their cars?

Indians love ghastly bling and if any car maker is smart he will provide bronze/gold coloured bling instead of chrome, and watch his sales fly...
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Attachment 1394033

Source

You can gouge my eyes out now.
oh Good god, why would you buy a VW and do this . It completely out of sync and glaring. There has been months and years of design effort put in by experts before arriving at the details and composition, we will be only wasting it if we try to 'improve' it.

Last edited by joe_antony : 22nd July 2015 at 10:28.
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:36   #40
BHPian

Just yesterday I saw one chromized Ciaz which IMO literally killed the car's character.

( I am going to unsubscribe from this thread right away for the sake of sanity!)
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:43   #41
BHPian

I thought I am the only one seeing these grills on the road.
Anyone sighted this grill on a Honda city? I want to check how my car will look with it.
Holy "grill"!
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Talking about Chrome,

Kalyani Motors in Bangalore offers (Saw them on advertisemsnts online) this swift as their own 'Platinum Edition'

Dont know availability at present. IMHO it dosent look so bad as some custom chrome grills shown in above posts
Exactly, that’s what I thought when I bought my Swift from Kalyani Motors. I got this chrome grill from them because I think it looks good on my glistening grey Swift. I know the majority here might disagree, but as the saying goes “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”! I think it is really wrong to generalize that all chrome grills are ugly.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:31   #43
BHPian

Don't know if it is the right place to post this.

I was looking to change the broken front grill of my Hyundai accent CRDI 2002. I wanted it to look sporty, so I was looking at mesh grills(black ofcourse) and places quoted between 4000-12000 for custom grills. After looking around for a long time, I found the new accent executive grill at a shop in Thrissur, Kerala for Rs.550 and grabed it without a second thought. The emblem is missing in the grill which they said they will arrange next week. The issue is that I feel there is too much chrome especially in the top portion of the grill. The mesh part is black and it looks good. Please give suggestions on how to modify this to my liking without damaging the grill.

I was thinking of getting it stickered with glossy black as that can be removed if it doesn't look good. I am not sure if I should go for the paint job on the grill as that would be permenant.

Attaching a picture of the accent executive for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-hyundaiaccentfaceliftimage1.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2015, 12:04   #44
BHPian

In my neighborhood, there is an HR 10 registered Swift Zxi which has the full monty, i e the aforementioned mesh grills, Chrome door handles, chrome covers for side mirrors, chrome bumper guards, chrome covers for tail lights and chrome gear knob. Looks very very tacky but the owner has a good taste in music. :-p
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:22   #45
BHPian

This chrome affinity can be attributed to one word: Fetish.

Described in British dictionary as:
noun
1. Something, esp an inanimate object, that is believed in certain cultures to be the embodiment or habitation of a spirit or magical powers
2. Any object, activity, etc, to which one is excessively or irrationally devoted: to make a fetish of cleanliness.

Everybody is entitled to their quota of fetishism. Looks like Chrome is the least of the jarring car mods.

Refer to the link below and have a great time! Car headlight eye lashes...?!

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-wor...ods-1716117445.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 22nd July 2015 at 12:31. Reason: Edit: Formatting

Most Viewed