Team-BHP - Air vents on the hood: a perf mod?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Air vents on the hood: a perf mod? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/16709-air-vents-hood-perf-mod.html)

Hello,

I am considering putting up a K&N conical filter on my OHC, in a couple of weeks time. I have been reading up the forum and articles on 'HowStuffWorks' to understand how an air filter would increase the performance of a car.

I was wondering, if I have air vents on the hood, like the car shown in the picture below, then would the filter work even better?

And if yes, does anybody know a good place in Bangalore, where it can be done? What would be the expected cost of doing so?

Thanks,
Agent Smith.

If you want fresh air to enter the filter. Try fitting a cold air intake.

The scoop on the Subaru is there for the intercooler (which is placed behind the engine).

See how the air intake pipe has been stretched upto the front grill (thats a cold air intake). This will be more efficient than a scoop.

Or what you can do is, make a scoop at the point where the air intake starts (Usually of the left bottom corner of the engine bay). This way, you get your scoop and the filter gets it's cold air.

Shan2nu

Cedia too have scoops of the kind in pix posted by Shan2nu

but again in the monsoons,water might eneter the scoop and damage the filter(if its a universal filter).

I dont think you would need Scoops at all on your Hood. A good filter will work to increase your performance no matter what. Ive got a K&N extreme on my OHC and it has definetely made a difference. Filters are upposed to do that for you.

You could get yourself a K&N extreme, Headers and also a tune up with a muffler for about 18000 here in Bangalore

Cheers
M516

Quote:

but again in the monsoons,water might eneter the scoop and damage the filter(if its a universal filter).
It doesn't happen with this design. When the hood is closed, there's hardly any space between the grill and the hood. So, to compensate for that small gap, the mouth of the intake has been widened.

If the mouth was inside, it would have been rounder (like we see on our cars).

Shan2nu

Quote:

My 'scoopless' ikon's universal filter gets quite soaked by the monsoons although the filter is placed right behind the headlamp assembly.
I'd strongly suggest u NOT to go for the hood-scoop unless its a RACE car.

Wont water hitting the intercooler in case of hood scoop(a la Indigo/ca TDI) make it perform better?

Quote:

Wont water hitting the intercooler in case of hood scoop(a la Indigo/ca TDI) make it perform better?
Haha, TSK is getting ideas here!!! Infact, i think the Subaru has sprinklers that spary water on the intercooler, to keep it cool.

Anyway, question here is not about scoops for intercoolers but scoops for air intakes. Atleast i wouldn't bother getting a scoop for my Vtec. Cold air intake is anyday safer (relatively ofcourse).

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Haha, TSK is getting ideas here!!! Infact, i think the Subaru has sprinklers that spary water on the intercooler, to keep it cool.

Anyway, question here is not about scoops for intercoolers but scoops for air intakes. Atleast i wouldn't bother getting a scoop for my Vtec. Cold air intake is anyday safer (relatively ofcourse).

Shan2nu

I had heard that Subaru had water injectors to keep the charge cool, now sprinkler to keep the intercooler cool:Shockked: . I think Subaru need more water than fuel to runlol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
It doesn't happen with this design. When the hood is closed, there's hardly any space between the grill and the hood. So, to compensate for that small gap, the mouth of the intake has been widened.

If the mouth was inside, it would have been rounder (like we see on our cars).

Shan2nu

but then you are referring to the subura's hood scoop design.what agentsmith is suggesting is that he cuts holes ino the hood,places a metal grille in them.like in the case of the cediA

Thank you all! This thread has been very informative!

@M516: I already have an automech free flow system and exhaust. Am getting a performance bonus this month, and am dreaming up how I am going to blow all that cash :)

Regards,
Agent Smith

Quote:

but then you are referring to the subura's hood scoop design.what agentsmith is suggesting is that he cuts holes ino the hood,places a metal grille in them.like in the case of the cediA
What grill? Does Lancer Cedia have mesh grills on the hood? never noticed that.

But if you look at the image posted in the opening post, it's pretty evident that he's looking at scoops and not grills like in the Evos.

Hood Grill

Hood Scoop

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn

Hellspawn, Shan2nu is correct. I was looking for scoops and not the grill.

Hood Scoop

Shan2nu