Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

OBD2-interfaced Digital Display

I am thinking of a dashboard gadget which would give us real time information on the following TDI engine parameters:
  1. Air flow, Intake temperature, Boost pressure and Turbo RPM.
  2. Engine load, Rail pressure and Engine oil temperature.
  3. Exhaust gas temperature.
  4. Gearbox oil temperature.
  5. Power / Torque figures based on map presets.
  6. Read / clear error codes.
  7. Setting alarms for Boost pressure / Engine oil temperature / EGT / GB oil temperature / Air flow.

Instead of installing additional sensors OR connecting available sensors individually; it would be simple if the gadget could connect (wired or BT) to OBD2 port of the car, to acquire information from the CPU.

This information would help us enthusiasts to know what is actually happening inside the engine and would be of great advantage in a remapped car.

I found this as I was browsing through the web: Banks iQ for 2009-2014 VW & Audi 2.0L & 3.0L TDI 61201

OBD2-interfaced Digital Display-blanks-iq-1.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banks-iQ-for...8792#vi-ilComp

There is one more solution for android based smartphone users: If a BT-OBD2 adapter is purchased online, an application called "Torque" is available for download from play-store, for a fee. There are mixed reviews on this and I am not sure if it works.

I am aware of the VCDS option. But that would be cumbersome to leave it connected all the time. Or is it?

I wanted to know if any of our forum members are already using any of these gadgets OR better still; If anybody is aware of a easier / affordable / solution.

Kindly suggest!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 2nd September 2015 at 11:59.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:27   #2
BHPian

re: OBD2-interfaced Digital Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Kindly suggest!

Thanks in advance!
Just out of curiosity, in case you are running a fully equipped track car, you might need a data logger always on.

However, for general logging needs you are better off with a good software and an OBD connected to a laptop or VCDS.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD2-interfaced Digital Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
There is one more solution for android based smartphone users: If a BT-OBD2 adapter is purchased online, an application called "Torque" is available for download from play-store, for a fee. There are mixed reviews on this and I am not sure if it works.

I wanted to know if any of our forum members are already using any of these gadgets OR better still; If anybody is aware of a easier / affordable / solution.
Although not for a VW, but for my Maruti SX4 I am using an OBDII adapter (ELM327) and Torque app on my phone and it is working perfectly fine. Overall I am a very happy user of this combination. I have given more details of my setup here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cessories.html

However, in that thread, someone has pointed out that the ELM327 adapter did not work on Skoda Fabia. That makes me wonder if the VW group uses a proprietary protocol or is there something else going on with Skoda. In general, all cars in India made after 2010 support OBDII protocol, and VW should support that too. But I am not yet 100% sure about this given the one Skoda experience that I read.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD2-interfaced Digital Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Just out of curiosity,
This the very reason I was looking for a real time meter, but in a different sense. Sounds thrilling to understand the functioning of various parameters.

I know this looks stupid; More so, since it is an expensive option.
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD2-interfaced Digital Display

I use and there are few here who use it a lot.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

The best one should be the below one ( which he now uses in his Nano AMT!).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...display-5.html
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks