Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 10:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line to the Modifications & Accessories section. Thanks for sharing!

@Racedynamics : Wonderful compilation! Would request you to keep adding more cars to this database. Would be immensely useful.
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:19   #17
BHPian

I have a doubt which I wish to get clarified.

Mahindra XUV and Verito have almost no transmission losses along with Tata Zest.
How's that possible? Are these vehicles under valued by the manufacturers themselves (in terms of performance figures)?
Divya Sharan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

What an excellent thread for a person who likes finding out why he feels the way while driving a particular car! The graphs are excellent for knowing the characteristics.

I have noticed one glaring thing though- there is no consistency between what manufacturers claim as the bhp and what is really available at the wheel.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Very helpful compilation.

Please take it one step further and also add the curves for the Stock,P1,P2 modes of different cars for which you provide the tuning box whenever the data is available. Will be helpful for all.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post

Hello,

The following is the collection of dyno plots measured on our DynaRD dynamometer, all the data is measured at the wheels and is corrected/normalized for temperature, altitude and humidity. Which means you can test the same car on the same dyno anywhere, and it would still read the same power and torque.
Awesome thread Racedynamics and as Gannu has already posted, request you to keep adding/updating the list as and when you get to do so.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I could kinda arrive at the following from the data:

- Transmission losses vary due to various factors, as already stated. But what really matters at the end of the day is the power at the wheel and the weight the engine is carrying to drive them.

- Modern cars seem to have narrowed the gap between the power output at the crank and at the wheel.

- The numbers provided by the German brands are usually accurate or closest, unlike the ones provided by the Japanese, Koreans, etc.

All in all a brilliant reference and really your efforts in creating such a thread.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:22   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I have a doubt which I wish to get clarified.

Mahindra XUV and Verito have almost no transmission losses along with Tata Zest.
How's that possible? Are these vehicles under valued by the manufacturers themselves (in terms of performance figures)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Awesome thread Racedynamics and as Gannu has already posted, request you to keep adding/updating the list as and when you get to do so.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I could kinda arrive at the following from the data:

- Transmission losses vary due to various factors, as already stated. But what really matters at the end of the day is the power at the wheel and the weight the engine is carrying to drive them.

- Modern cars seem to have narrowed the gap between the power output at the crank and at the wheel.

- The numbers provided by the German brands are usually accurate or closest, unlike the ones provided by the Japanese, Koreans, etc.

All in all a brilliant reference and really your efforts in creating such a thread.
We usually see some variants of Hyundais, VW and Skoda almost deliver the advertised power and torque at the wheels !

For gasoline powered cars, it is worth noting all of them were using regular fuel, 97 octane would have delivered more power on some of them.
Racedynamics is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 14:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Awesome thread and thanks for taking the effort to collate all the data. As others have mentioned, please keep updating the thread
Even a few years back the automotive world used to make fun of Korean engines and there was a saying the Korean horses are not as powerful as Japanese horses. Also people accused Hyundai of overstating the BHP ratings. But it seems that it is not the case. Was shocked to see the results of the Fiesta 1.6S.
BlackPearl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 14:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Even a few years back the automotive world used to make fun of Korean engines and there was a saying the Korean horses are not as powerful as Japanese horses. Also people accused Hyundai of overstating the BHP ratings. Was shocked to see the results of the Fiesta 1.6S.
It is definitely an eye opener for many of us! However, one thing which I believe plays a very crucial role in determining how much power a particular car makes on a dyno and which was mentioned in the very first post, is,

1. The age of the engine
2. Maintainence of the engine
3. Condition of the clutch/flywheel
4. State of tune

There could be many more factors affecting the results, which cannot be discounted.

Hence on a personal note (barring diesels) I would still rate the Jap horses higher than their Korean counterparts!
ssjr0498 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 14:35   #24
BHPian

Wow! this is an excellent database. Thank you for putting it up!

And the Elantra and Getz definitely surprise us here. I would love to see the numbers on the Linea T Jet. I own one, but unfortunately do not have it here in Bangalore. Any other tjet owner willing to dyno their car?

Cheers!
Old 10th September 2015, 15:38   #25

A much needed info database good job guys!! Keep it coming.. And from what I can see if you compare the graphs of older cars like the Old Honda City VTec, Baleno, Cedia, Civic, etc. their Manufacture claims and the Measured Wheel Outputs are around 20% off unlike the the newer cars which are more or less the same!!

Last edited by Eddy : 12th September 2015 at 14:51. Reason: OHC = Old Honda City.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque350 View Post
A much needed info database good job guys!! Keep it coming.. And from what I can see if you compare the graphs of older cars like the OHC VTec, Baleno, Cedia, Civic, etc. their Manufacture claims and the Measured Wheel Outputs are around 20% off unlike the the newer cars which are more or less the same!!
Please don't forget to add the years of abuse that those cars would have taken. After all that, still, they are putting out some decent whp no's, arn't they!

The new age gearboxes might be more efficient, no doubt, but, I feel, this comparison can't be the right way to determine that properly.

I might be 100% wrong, but, I'm trying to understand, how can we just say that the transmission losses are less in the newer car's by just comparing the dyno figures. That too, for cars, that have been abused for more than a decade vs car's that are pretty new? That way if you look at it, almost all the oldies, like the Baleno, Ohc Vtec etc have approximately "just" a 20% loss in (manufcturer claimed) power even after the production stopped some 10-12 years ago!

Food for thought! Recently seen two of my friends with Ohc vtec's, each, with 1Lakh plus km's dynoed their near stock (both cars had only headers and exhaust mod's) car's and both the cars were rated at 100whp and 99whp on regular fuel. That made me write my initial post that, the health of the engine, clutch, tune etc etc are very important, to make a car a dyno queen!

My two cents!
Old 10th September 2015, 16:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
Hyundai Verna Fluidic Diesel

Measured power : 122.03 whp
Manufacturer claimed power: 126 bhp

Measured torque: 264.44 Nm
Manufacturer claimed torque: 260 Nm
Good to see Verna Diesel's performance. Am wondering, how the measured torque is higher than the claimed torque.
Old 10th September 2015, 18:04   #28
Team-BHP Support

Awesome!! Thanks for taking the trouble to upload all of this!

I've got a lot of thoughts, and questions. Will post them tomorrow. For now, just one:

Is there any easy way we can see the data overlayed? The current changes in scaling on both the X & Y axis make it hard to eyeball the data for a comparison.

For example, I overlayed some graphs from back in 2010 (but never got around to posting them), and it truly shows the different characteristics of each car:
Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-all-5-comparo-hp.jpg

Accord V6: Clearly in a class of its own, amongst the others. You can see where the VTEC kicks in, yo!
Jetta (diesel): See how different a diesel's graph is (esp in the below torque graph!!), though gearing would stretch it out.
Civic: High-revving Jap, doesn't want to let off the power.
Fusion: Seems to run out of steam at higher revs.
Linea: Needs more power!

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-all-5-comparo-trq.jpg

Related thread : link

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2015 at 18:09.
Rehaan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 19:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Am wondering, how the measured torque is higher than the claimed torque.
Due to minor and allowable differences in dyno calibration. Even if you run the same car on the same dyno twice you will get minor variations in the readings.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 21:10   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the good info.

Trying to understand the low end power/torque, what is the difference between the BMW's starting at 2000 rpm v/s the chevys starting at 1500 rpm on driveability, and about the XUV from even lesser.

In city we can hardly cross 2000 rpm.

On the Optra Magnum, what can be achievable by tuning? You must have the data for a few examples tuned up.

Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed