Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 12:10   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Awesome!! Thanks for taking the trouble to upload all of this!

I've got a lot of thoughts, and questions. Will post them tomorrow. For now, just one:

Is there any easy way we can see the data overlayed? The current changes in scaling on both the X & Y axis make it hard to eyeball the data for a comparison.
Yes we can have comparisons, but the dynamometer software is needed to overlay these runs. We have compiled a small list of common comparos, let us know if you guys need anything in particular.

As mentioned earlier, for the runs that are not listed, we will extend free dyno runs please get in touch with our office for appointments.

For those who requested runs with performance upgrades, we will have a separate thread listing modified cars soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-ohc-vtec-vs-maruti-suzuki-baleno.png  

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-maruti-suzuki-swift-vs-honda-brio-petrol.png  

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-bmw-f10-530d-vs-530d-m-sport.png  

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-maruti-suzuki-esteem-vs-maruti-suzuki-swift-k12.png  

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-maruti-suzuki-baleno-vs-maruti-suzuki-esteem.png  

Race Dynamics dyno database of Stock cars-honda-accord-2.4-7th-vs-honda-civic.png  

Racedynamics is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I would love to see the numbers on the Linea T Jet. I own one, but unfortunately do not have it here in Bangalore. Any other tjet owner willing to dyno their car?

Cheers!
I would also love to see the numbers on the Linea T-Jet. I own one, am in Bangalore and would be more than happy to get it dyno'ed
Old 11th September 2015, 13:38   #33
BHPian

Excellent initiative. Thank you!

Couple of questions:

1) Do turbocharged cars need a correction factor even after the boost kicks in?
Here in Bangalore, the SAE correction factor varies around 1.1x, which is quite a lot!

Also, it'd help if you put the actual SAE correction factor used in these plots along with the actual plot!

2) Nitpicking - The smoothing value used seems to be quite high as compared to traditional dyno runs. It makes them look a little cartoonish. It might help to reduce the smoothing factor a little bit.

Again, thanks a lot, and hope to see more cars soon!
Old 11th September 2015, 14:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Looka like the diesels have the least variation (except the Innova) while the petrols are shockingly different from the manufacturer claim figures.

And ahem, from now one am not going to underestimate Korean horses, but only diesels, not petrol.
Old 11th September 2015, 14:23   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Excellent initiative. Thank you!

Couple of questions:

1) Do turbocharged cars need a correction factor even after the boost kicks in?
Here in Bangalore, the SAE correction factor varies around 1.1x, which is quite a lot!

Also, it'd help if you put the actual SAE correction factor used in these plots along with the actual plot!

2) Nitpicking - The smoothing value used seems to be quite high as compared to traditional dyno runs. It makes them look a little cartoonish. It might help to reduce the smoothing factor a little bit.

Again, thanks a lot, and hope to see more cars soon!
In bangalore and in the test cell, it hovers around approx 1.10 to 1.17. The plan was to keep it away from too much technicalities, hence the omission of run data corrections and weather information, and higher filtering trims to keep it simple. We shall consider going in-depths where needed though. Worth mentioning, despite the higher filtering you can observe changes in run data from minute changes in engine calibration, like a 1 deg ignition advance or retard, and ofcourse very high repeatibility.

Last edited by Racedynamics : 11th September 2015 at 14:28.
Racedynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 14:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Great thread.. From what I could gather from the data posted, is that, the following manufacturers cars power figures is closer to their claimed figures.

a) Hyundai
b) Mahindra
c) Tata
d) Volkswagen

But, my heart sunk looking at the power figures of the Brio and the Swift.. Got the same feeling I used to get everytime I used to look at my report cards back in school, what was I expecting and what did I actually get.
Old 11th September 2015, 14:48   #37
BHPian

Great work!!

With a casual glance, it seems that the power losses for diesel cars are smaller than petrol while its the opposite with torque. Any reasons?
Old 11th September 2015, 14:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
a) Hyundai
b) Mahindra
c) Tata
d) Volkswagen
Out of these manufacturers, I am sure that VW claims WHP. Not sure about the others. Most manufacturers only claim HP at crank and WHP will be 15% to 25% lesser, depending on transmission losses. Could it be that the other three manufacturers also claim WHP? That would explain this pattern
Old 11th September 2015, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. Finally able to explain my wife about different engine behaviors
Looking at the Brio's graph the torque at 2000 to 2500 rpm is similar to the Zen. No wonder the car is sluggish in that band and almost comparable to Santro or Zen.
I always had the feeling that the Brio is much less powerful than what is printed in the manual. The dyno test just proved it ! Awaiting Beat Diesel's graph for comparison.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I would also love to see the numbers on the Linea T-Jet. I own one, am in Bangalore and would be more than happy to get it dyno'ed
+1 to this. Would love to see Linea T-jet results

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Out of these manufacturers, I am sure that VW claims WHP.
Have a look at 1.2TSI and 1.6L petrol's figures here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3798209

Like many others, WHP to claimed BHP difference is ~10%.

Speculating, VW could be reporting their engine performance under worst case conditions, and the worst case conditions for diesel engines could be more severe than petrol engines. Therefore, in case of diesel engines, whp happens to be similar to the reported bhp.

Like I said, this is pure speculation, but I still don't believe that VW (or for that matter any other manufacturer) would quote WHP.

Last edited by Su-47 : 11th September 2015 at 15:26.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for this useful information.

Can you please also post the curves for SX4 VVT petrol version?
Old 11th September 2015, 15:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Like I said, this is pure speculation, but I still don't believe that VW (or for that matter any other manufacturer) would quote WHP.
In that case, why would any manufacturer claim less than reality? Those WHP numbers are very close to the supposedly claimed HP at flywheel. Surely the transmission losses have to be more than the difference we are seeing.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
- The numbers provided by the German brands are usually accurate or closest, unlike the ones provided by the Japanese, Koreans, etc.
Probably you missed the numbers quoted for Hyundai. Look up Verna 1.6 diesel, the actual torque output was quoted to be marginally higher than the claimed output!
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 16:29   #44
BHPian

I think when GTO dyno'ed his pre-worshipped Civic in stock, it was giving close to 118 whp (~10% loss in the driveline). Here, the civic is showing more like 103-104 whp. I think this could very well be dependent on the condition and years of abuse that the car has taken. I am sure a well maintained stock civic would give much more than 103-104 hp on the wheels.

Very surprised by the bhp and whp differences for Hyundai. What does it suggest? Hyundai's engineering has successfully minimized the clutch and transmission losses?
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 16:51   #45
BHPian

If possible, It would be more informative if you could include the year of manufacture and odo reading of the car when it gets dyno-ed. And if we could get to compare the same kind of car at very different odo reading that is going to be even more informative (I know, I already asked a bit too much )
Mr.O is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed