Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:50   #91
BANNED

thanx alot for the information dude...and thank you for replying also properly..i mean to the point and not sayin...it depends ..see if you revv alot you will use up more fuel therefore you might see your fe reducing...and all that extra stuf..anyways going to automech by this weekend...
Old 22nd August 2005, 14:02   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
I have been thinking of putting in a free flow system in my 2001 MPFI Esteem for some time now...

Since I will get a (mild?) increase in power output + a shift of the power band towards higher rpm, would I get an increase in top speed too? (The MPFI Esteem is geared pretty tall and she hits her top speed way before she hits her redline)... not that it would be all that useful cuz at 175Kmph, stability ain't so good anyway... still a few notches higher on the speedo could be a huge ego booster while I inch past some of the "faster" rides

Anybody out there with one of these fitted on an MPFI Esteem? Some power curves for comparsion would be nice too!

- T u r b o C -
I am using a free flow and k&n universal/xtreme on my esteem.. with these fitments managed to do 160(speedo read) in 3rd gear on mysore road stretch near bidadi.... saying this she stiil gives me a good FE... and a throaty roar...
Old 29th August 2005, 19:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

FREE FLOW courtesy AUTO-MECH!!

Hi,

It's been 3 weeks since I got an AutoMech free flow system fitted to my car and looks like I've got the initial teething problems ironed out. Here's my initial report....

Contacted Auto Mech around 1 - 1.5 months back by email asking them the finer points of a free flow exhaust modification i.e some of my questions apart from the feedback i received from this site which promted me to go for it in the first place...thx guys:-). Well initial queries on driveability, torque increase, pollution etc over I placed an order for a complete free flow system for a 5-Speed M800.

INSTALLATION
About a week later I collected the system from GATI here at Trivandrum. Now the hunt was on for finding a mechanic who could do the job for me. A couple of Maruti dealers i approached refused so I turned to a garage frequented by one of my friends. Basically the header was a neat fit right upto the hole for the O2 sensor. So were the intermediate pipes. However the pipe containing the expansion chamber had to be heated and bent a bit to be aligned with the muffler piece. So the act was done and the sound was...just right...not too loud and not too soft either...no leaks either..the gaskets supplied by AutoMech held up well.

DRIVING IMPRESSION
I feel a small increase in low end torque and hence more responsiveness from the car at low speeds. Pollution levels are at around 0.25%. Top speeds seems to have increased too judging from the fact that I am able to go upto 80kph in 2nd gear..up from around 60 kph before the engine started screaming for mercy:-D.
The sound is just glorious especially in lower gears..i have developed the habit of switching off my stereo every now and then... ...the only glitch has been a careless dealer forgetting to repalce one of the manifold nuts after service causing an exhaust leak and ruining the free flow effect for one whole week...well the kind of things they do to your baby at "paid service"!!...they seem to think that giving the car a good wash is all there is to it!!..problems fixed now and the sound is mellowed a bit now...guess it is the effect of a retuned engine.

A word in for Automech..simply great support and clarifications. :-)

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 29th August 2005, 21:49   #94
BANNED

anybody facing problems with the cops???
Old 31st August 2005, 10:19   #95
BHPian

In banglore cops seem to have gone mad about cacophonic exuasts min fine is 600 -1000 bucks....
Old 31st August 2005, 11:26   #96
BANNED

and mumbai guys too let me know please..and all of youll let me know the average increase/decrease...if there is any
do not say that...you feel like revving alot and stuf becuase i know if i rev alot the fe will reduce..i just want to ask that if i continue driving like the way i drive now...will the fe after freeflow be better than what ive been getting now???
Old 31st August 2005, 12:02   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well the minimum fine is Rs 500 and goes upto 1500..the cops can confescate ur car,get a local mechanic to change ur exhaust system back to company fitted one and u have to bare the charges of that too..
well i too was planning to get one fitted to my zen but decided against it as my uncle told me that nearly 10 customers had got rid of their freeflows and gone back too oe ones in this month..and a baleno owner ended up paying 5,000 bucks in 1 week to the cops!!!

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 31st August 2005 at 12:04.
Old 31st August 2005, 15:37   #98
BANNED

Guys, how much does automech charge for a free flow for a zen with headers ?? Anyone gotten it pls mention ..

cheers
Old 31st August 2005, 15:40   #99
BANNED

still want to go for freeflow after reading what mclaren said...???
Old 31st August 2005, 17:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well the minimum fine is Rs 500 and goes upto 1500..the cops can confescate ur car,get a local mechanic to change ur exhaust system back to company fitted one and u have to bare the charges of that too..
well i too was planning to get one fitted to my zen but decided against it as my uncle told me that nearly 10 customers had got rid of their freeflows and gone back too oe ones in this month..and a baleno owner ended up paying 5,000 bucks in 1 week to the cops!!!
Well maybe you guys should move to Mysore....Besides being a beautiful city (much more than Bangalore could ever hope to be), the cops here are not yet smart enough to spot freeflows from cracked mufflers....Heck I've run a 2-stroke with open stinger on the expansion chamber with nary a consequence...And you know how loud THOSE can be...120 dB anyone?
Old 31st August 2005, 21:19   #101
BHPian

thats real lucky man..... the have gone on some hunting spree here... my friend who had modded his karizma removed the can in a weeks time...... reason? 2800 bucks total fine within a week!
Old 31st August 2005, 21:28   #102
BANNED

well actually they dont have a right to collect fines just like that..i read in another thread that the allowed sound level is 55db during the day and 45db during the night(correct me if i am wrong)..so its our right to ask them to show us the exhausts are illegal using a sound measuring device( a decibel meter) and yes if it exceeds pay the fine not otherwise...
can we protest on this if we are caught??members need ur suggestions on this..

on the other hand can anyone post whats the approximate sound levels emitted by freeflows, i mean the range??
Old 1st September 2005, 02:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well actually they dont have a right to collect fines just like that..i read in another thread that the allowed sound level is 55db during the day and 45db during the night(correct me if i am wrong)..so its our right to ask them to show us the exhausts are illegal using a sound measuring device( a decibel meter) and yes if it exceeds pay the fine not otherwise...
can we protest on this if we are caught??members need ur suggestions on this..
Spot on.Its 55db during the day,and 45db during the night.They have no rights to confiscate any cars.All you have to do is argue with them.They themselves will get fed up and ask for some chai-paani.

Quote:
on the other hand can anyone post whats the approximate sound levels emitted by freeflows, i mean the range??
It depends on various factors.But its generally in the range of 25db - 70db.
Hope that helps.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 1st September 2005 at 02:08.
Old 1st September 2005, 02:33   #104
BANNED

hey thanks a lot x-machine..so all that we got to do is get freeflows whose sound is not more than 55db and the bloody cops wont be able to lay a single hand on us..well thats good news for all the guys on this forum who are interested in ff's..so what are we waiting for,lets get them done and beat the s##t outta these cops..
Old 1st September 2005, 11:13   #105
BANNED

I think the cops can also catch you because your car is registered as a stock car with the RTO, and they don't give permission to make mods that will change any of the specs. Can anyone clarify this?

Most Viewed