Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 12:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: A8 Head-Up Display

Nice to see options coming up.

I have been searching for good options for HUD GPS. Garmin has now discontinued their product but then, I now find HUDGLASS as a good option. At $ 49 (in preorder), it sounds like a great option as I can use use an old or cheap Android phone and loadup HUDWAY app for offline maps.

what do you think?

as always I have spent more time thinking and not yet into doing. suggestions will help close the loop.
Old 4th December 2015, 16:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
It's a cool setup! But just wondering the use of this for a common man as it only shows the statistics of a car. It would have been really helpful if this is integrated with bluetooth and can display maps with directions - like the Jaguar cars Are there any such devices available? It must be a similar technology which receives data and projects it ( I know it may not be as simple as that!) Just checking
You can checkout the below link.

https://www.navdy.com/

Seems good and having better features.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Since there have been a few posts with alternates, let me explain why I went for this device.

Firstly, I have tried with a BT dongle and an android phone. Here are the downsides -
  • At maximum brightness, the display is still washed out in bright sunlight.
  • Since the phone comes with a Lithium Ion battery, it cannot be left exposed to sunlight and needs frequent recharge.
  • The phone does not start up and shut down automatically with the car
  • Navdy at $ 319 is very expensive

Why this device -
  • This device goes to maximum brightness in bright sunlight and is still clearly visible
  • No battery. So no risk of explosion and no fuss of recharging
  • Starts and stops automatically with the car
  • Allows me to check my speed without taking my eyes off the road

To put things in perspective - I own one BT, one USB and one WiFi ELM 327 devices. I have one 7" Android tablet and one Blackberry Playbook exclusively for my experiments. I am in the process of developing an app that will allow me to perform a few actions like turning on hazard lights, rolling windows up & down, etc from my smartphone. Suffice to say that I am not one of those technologically ignorant folks and the decision to get this device was well thought out.

I attach my smartphone to the central console with a magnetic holder and use navigation on that when required. I also have a home built holder for my 7" tab / playbook to run Torque Pro to monitor engine vitals. I am also getting dedicated gauges for boost, EGT and transmission temperature, which will be mounted on the A pillar.
PatchyBoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 16:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You can checkout the below link.

https://www.navdy.com/

Seems good and having better features.
I also found this: http://hudwayglass.com/ - another Kickstarter-funded project like Navdy.

Maybe not as many features though...
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The product
  • Double reflection on the windshield. Not really a product con though. I haven't installed the supplied reflective film yet

Hi,

Once you install the supplied reflective film, the double reflection would go away. I got mine from dragonmart at International City in Dubai. It works great. Nice techy feature.

Cheers bro.
Old 7th October 2016, 22:10   #21
BHPian

I am looking for a HUD, the A8 is widely seen on Aliexpress.
How has the unit been behaving , it will soon be year now. I am looking to have it installed on my Creta.
Old 5th April 2017, 17:09   #22
BHPian

Just received the HUD A8. I ordered through Gearbest which got one of the cheapest offer along with shipping. I ended up paying extra for Customs (Oman) as well. So total landing cost is 39+12 shipping + 10 for Customs around INR 3100 or so approximately. I yet to open and play with it. My real purpose to go for this was to watch on the speedometer mostly as I tend to cross the limit once in a while. Over speeding fines start at 10 OMR (INR 1700 approx) per violation so even if I can be saved by 3 fines, then I get the money back! ;-)

Observations will follow after the weekend!

Last edited by sgmuser : 5th April 2017 at 17:10.
Old 5th August 2018, 14:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Just received the HUD A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Since there have been a few posts with alternates, let me explain why I went for this device.
How is the long term reliability of the unit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks