Team-BHP - What is this called?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   What is this called? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/17248-what-called.html)

Guys what is the circled part called? Do we get imitation parts of the same so that we can fix it to any car without tinkering the bonet?

If available any idea of cost and where to get in Bangalore..
Thanks!

That is an air scoop which has the air intake for the engine. The engine needs air which is sucked from the air intake!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos
That is an air scoop which has the air intake for the engine. The engine needs air which is sucked from the air intake!

Any idea whether imitation part of air scoop is available for styling... We get fancy antenna's, GPS spoiler fins etc. wondering if air scoop also available in a similar way...

Scoops on the bonnet are generally used by vehicle designers to indicate a higher spec "special" or limited engine.

This idea (as far as I know), was first used in the American muscle cars of the late 60's & 70's to suck more air into the air filter mounted just below it. The air flow (along with the correct plumbing) used to cause a "Ram Air" effect at high speeds, thus mildly supercharging the car.

The modded Ford Mustang above probably uses it to feed more air using a Venturi effect into the air filter to gain better breathing at greater speeds.

A look alike is sold today in India, (by accessory-wallahs at Milan & Opera House in Bombay), as a tack-on plastic bit that you can stick anywhere - your hood / roof / doors / even your fuel filler cap if you please!

Here's a coupla pics for you...

Forget about imitation scoop. I recently saw a scoop pic pasted on the bonnet of a santro

Btw, the scoop is also used for intercoolers in some cars, right?

Fake air scoops can be seen on the new Scorpio's

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Forget about imitation scoop. I recently saw a scoop pic pasted on the bonnet of a santro

Btw, the scoop is also used for intercoolers in some cars, right?

cool, stickers also seem to be an alternative option...
Any idea of Bangalore accessories walah's who deal with air scoops... and any idea of autographics website url?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay
Fake air scoops can be seen on the new Scorpio's

oh yeah... totally forgot about it. Require something like that... Any contact info of accessories dealer in bangalore for the same?

like others have mentioned this is an air scoop used for puiing in more "Relatively Colder" air thereby giving you a lil more HP..

More info on cold air intakes
here
Here and
here

IMP people going vor conical intakes and placing them in the engine bay with out a heat sheild are not gaining any HP but mayinfact be loosing some HM the traditional intakes are housed inside a sheilding which to some extent sheilds from engine heat and if you remove the sheild and just put in a conical intake IMO you care making a mistake

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsinz
cool, stickers also seem to be an alternative option...
Any idea of Bangalore accessories walah's who deal with air scoops... and any idea of autographics website url?

Are you sure you wanna do something FAKE on your lovely ride??:Shockked:

If the answer is yes, then just go to JC road and walk into any shop and ask for stickers. You'll find plenty of airscoop designs. And if you want to fit in a fake like Scorpio, then ask for bonnet radiator!!!! Funny name??? Yes, it is in the local lingo!!!

Autographix makes auto stickers and there is a "Hood scoop" 3D design, looks cool and is best to use if u have to conceal any scratches on the hood.

ummm dsinz, what car do you drive anyways?

@whiteknight yes some cars that have tmic like the subaru impreza wrx sti use hood scoops for the intercoolers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
ummm dsinz, what car do you drive anyways?

Well I drive an alto. Bought it recently.. though a kutti car, I want it to look sporty. During purchase, I upgraded to slightly wider tubeless and alloys, chrome grill, Spoiler fin, fog lamps, body color bumper etc.

I am a newbie n cant create the gallery, so once I am an BHPian I will upload some pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aZa
Autographix makes auto stickers and there is a "Hood scoop" 3D design, looks cool and is best to use if u have to conceal any scratches on the hood.

hey aZa

Do you know the URL of the Autographix. Cannot get the right website of theirs.Thanks!

Fitting a hood scoop onto a vehicle for most of the climate in India seems like a bad idea - we have dusty conditions, rain & slush on our metalled roads, forget the actual rural / off-road driving. It'll create more problems than any joy it might bring you.

A cold air intake with a K&N / alternative should suit your purpose. You can contact a tuner / modder or a TBHPian in your area who can guide you on this.

Stickering / fake hood scoops just look cheap, at least IMHO.

My honest advice to you: Don't do it.

PS: Can someone throw light on the way Ram Air systems using hood scoops channel rain water, or do the owners simply not drive around when it's wet?

Methinks that most of the Ram Air systems of the 60's & 70's were V8s running cranky carbs. How did they manage the water being gulped down at a presumably astonishing rate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by car crazy kid
if i was you i wouldnt put on stickers for vents or airscoops. i think the car looks cheap. but thats just my opinion.

agree: My opinion too!
Alto with such a small body and so many stickers, spoiler, airscoop, extras will make the car look wierd, cheap and wacky. And before you know, it will be posted somewhere else other than your gallery like here. So take caution!

BTW, DSINZ! can you post a pic of your car in this thread for an idea? Or you can post here. I think newbies can post pics using imageshack on their posts. Ain't it??