Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 18:56   #76
BHPian

Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I am not sure I will use the HID again on my car, probably time will decide.
Oh you too have given up the fight. Upgrading mine to HIDs has been a long delayed plan on mine. Now I have taken it to OSRAM, the sales head for the south assured me of excellent performance, while I insisted on talking to some tech guy at Osram Plant who could help me understanding the issue. I just spoke to the GM - QC at Osram Mr. Sarma and I have told him about the issue.

He told me that could be of inferior design quality of the bulbs and also told me that the chances of the fault being with the projector may be less. Anyway, he has asked me to share pics of the same and he told me that he would give me a feedback in a days time.

Lets see whether the Germans could help at least.
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 17:57   #77
BHPian

Updating the feedback mail from Osram QC team after reviewing Abirnale and Fusionbag's thread.

"The dark lines or shadow was due to wrong geometry of the lamp. It could be due to wrong LCL (Light Centre Length) of the lamp or could be due to wrong positioning of the lead wires."

On my question as to whether they could assure me of zero issues like this for Osram Xenarcs, he told me that they have not come across any issues like this before. Though he did not tell me about any assurances other than manufacturer warranties.

He insisted on the quality of the projectors as "Osram being the OEM supplier for 55W halogens for the XUV, inside the projectors, should not have issues with the Projector or the Bulb arrangement as the logic of lamp positioning is infact the same."

Any tips here ?
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 18:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Updating the feedback mail from Osram QC team after reviewing Abirnale and Fusionbag's thread.

Any tips here ?
Thanks for the update peterjim

IMO if there is no assurance provided by OSRAM guys, it is really difficult to go ahead and procure it. If the problem occurs then it's like putting your money in the drain which me and Avinash have already done it. So if you can procure the bulbs test it and works without any issues, then it will be a wise decision.

I would suggest you to hold on for sometime as I am in discussion with Mahindra and have asked for clarifications as below,

Quote:
1. Were the projector lenses changed post 2015, because I see a lot of difference in the cars before 2015 and my car. The beam cut off is completely different and the sharpness is not there in my car. This was tested at one of your service centers.

2. Are the projector's not suitable for HID conversion kits? If suitable, why there is a shadow from the beams. I understand it is from the HID bulb which is been displayed on the road as shadow, but which should not be the case in a projector setup. Whereas the HID's have worked in earlier cars and one of the new age XUV as well.

3. Can I know the reason for the shadow with the halogens as well?
Also I got a call today from their customer care division, and the executive informed me that he has written to his technical team to revert on the reasons for this. So hopefully I will be able to find some light here.

And I am hoping if somebody who has installed HID's on the face lift model will help us to know if it's working fine for them, which we can use it as a evidence to prove it to Mahindra.

Will keep you guys updated.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 19:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:

Will keep you guys updated.
Sure fusionbag, you guys know these better.

I shall wait to hear from you on this. In parallel let me ask them if there is an option to test these. (not very hopeful here though)

Cheers
Old 17th March 2016, 10:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Update from Mahindra:

Got an email today morning from customer care on the queries I had posted to them and looks like we have to live with the shadow or only chance is to try OSRAM and if it works fine then all is good.

Email extract from customer care on my queries:

Quote:
1. Were the projector lenses changed post 2015, because I see a lot of difference in the cars before 2015 and my car. The beam cut off is completely different and the sharpness is not there in my car. Right beam is from my car and the left is from another car. This was tested at one of your service centers.

CC - The size of projector is increased as a part of continuous improvement. The reduction in cut-off sharpness is design intent and this is to give better visual transition from bright to dark zones while driving in motorways.

2. Are the projector's not suitable for HID conversion kits? If suitable, why there is a shadow from the beams. I understand it is from the HID bulb which is been displayed on the road as shadow, but which should not be the case in a projector setup. Whereas the HID's have worked in earlier cars and one of the new age XUV as well.

CC - M&M does not recommend the use of HID bulbs on projector lamps.

3. Can I know the reason for the shadow with the halogens as well?

CC - The shadow is because the bulb has an anti-glare cap to avoid glare and as per regulation. Hence, this is absolutely normal and nothing to be concerned about.
If I get a chance to try on OSRAM HID will buy them, else I might go ahead and install the HID's back again and live with the shadows. Thinking under process
fusionbang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 10:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update from Mahindra:

Got an email today morning from customer care on the queries I had posted to them and looks like we have to live with the shadow or only chance is to try OSRAM and if it works fine then all is good.

Email extract from customer care on my queries:

If I get a chance to try on OSRAM HID will buy them, else I might go ahead and install the HID's back again and live with the shadows. Thinking under process

I would suggest you go back to the HID and live with the shadow. You will get used to it . Because of a small negative you are missing out on larger positives.

PS - Am impressed that Mahindra has replied to the technical questions in a proper way. Most manufacturers wont do this.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 17th March 2016 at 10:09.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 10:16   #82
BANNED

Hats off to Mahindra to reply to questions asked by customers.

As the OEM is 55W halogens, why not upgrade to 100W ones or the next higher wattage halogens I mean. Would the projector be able to handle the heat generated?

If your not particular about the HID then this is one route for better lighting that I was thinking.

Quote:
If I get a chance to try on OSRAM HID will buy them
Osram or Philips is your last bet with this HID fiasco.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 12:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ I don't think the 100W halogens can be hold in these headlights for long. Eventually the heat will damage the headlights. The simple solution is to live with shadow or think of external Aux lights like I am going to do
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:07   #84
BHPian

Was speaking to my friends at epitstop.in about this issue and they informed me that they have sold the Osram H7 4200K HID kit to few XUV owners here in bangalore and so far they haven't received any complaint about this.
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:12   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Was speaking to my friends at epitstop.in about this issue and they informed me that they have sold the Osram H7 4200K HID kit to few XUV owners here in bangalore and so far they haven't received any complaint about this.
Would you mind doing them if they could share pictures? It will be a piece to the mind and one could go ahead with the purchase.

PS: Are you taking about the New Age XUV 5OO or Previous Gen?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Would you mind doing them if they could share pictures? It will be a piece to the mind and one could go ahead with the purchase.

PS: Are you taking about the New Age XUV 5OO or Previous Gen?
Mind doing them

Have asked them to share the pic if they have any. It was for New Age XUV with Projector
Old 17th March 2016, 18:10   #87
BANNED

Quote:

Mind doing them

Have asked them to share the pic if they have any. It was for New Age XUV with Projector
Sorry. Mistyped it. I Sorry meant "mind asking them."

Thanks for the help. Many here are in the minds of getting HID but this problem that Fusionbang and Abirnale are facing has surfaced many doubts. Moreover the reply from Mahindra is puzzling as the projector is designed for halogens.
Old 17th March 2016, 19:15   #88
BHPian

Looks like mahindra is right about not using HID in projectors.

Just received this photo from one of the XUV owner who had installed Osram HID.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img20160317wa0004.jpg

The 2 shadow lines are present. The customer apparently told them that the shadow doesn't make any difference to him.

The onus on going for HID in XUV now lies with individuals.

Hope i was able to help. Cheers

Attaching 2 more pictures

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img20160317wa0005.jpg

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img20160317wa0006.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 17th March 2016 at 19:23. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
ant_vas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 19:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The onus on going for HID in XUV now lies with individuals.

Hope i was able to help. Cheers
Thanks a lot for your help buddy. This has helped me overcome the final element of doubt I had in my mind.

I have decided to reinstall my HID and live with the shadow.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 10:51   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope I was able to help.
Your help is very timely and prompt! This has put an end to all the HID questions we had so far! Thanks a ton for all the help.

To conclude -
  • XUVs post 2015 (may be march onwards) will always have this shadow regardless of which HID kit you use.
  • It is upto individuals to decide if you think this shadow is not an issue or live with or without.
Sunay (@fusionbang) decided to go ahead and restore the p8 kit back on his cougar.

The point in time where I stand today -
Due to HIDs not that great with auto lights function (frequent on/off) taking time to heat up and light road, I am going ahead with the decision of sticking to stock headlamps. But the light isn't enough. To bring more light, I am going ahead with Aux light setup. Let there be light.

Thank you everyone for your direct and indirect help in getting us to the conclusion on issues that haunted us for few months!

Last edited by abirnale : 18th March 2016 at 10:53.
abirnale is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed