Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:27   #106
BHPian

Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Dear Gurus,

My current low beam setup is 5000K Kensun HIDs (with shadow problem). I have accepted the fact that XUV's projectors won't support HIDs without the shadow. I would like to move to LED setup. The questions are:
1. The fan at the rear of LED bulb - will it come outside of dust cover or inside? If it is inside, heat will get trapped and cause problems.
2. H7 LED bulb in XUV's projector - does anyone have experience with any bulb brands?
3. I would like to install 17" LED light bar inside the grill (above number plate). Is it okay to drill the cross member and fit the light bar there?
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:53   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Dear Gurus,

My current low beam setup is 5000K Kensun HIDs (with shadow problem). I have accepted the fact that XUV's projectors won't support HIDs without the shadow. I would like to move to LED setup. The questions are:
1. The fan at the rear of LED bulb - will it come outside of dust cover or inside? If it is inside, heat will get trapped and cause problems.
2. H7 LED bulb in XUV's projector - does anyone have experience with any bulb brands?
3. I would like to install 17" LED light bar inside the grill (above number plate). Is it okay to drill the cross member and fit the light bar there?
Hi,
Yeah stock lights are bad for highways, i had tried every brand of H7 bulbs that were out there before installing P7 4300k HID kit in both High & low beams, they were still not upto my liking cause i've always ran with 100/90 bulbs in my older cars...they make a hole on the rubber protection to let the wires through, the LED will definitely have to be installed without the rubber cover or probably cut through it. as they will cause obstruction for the led housings.
LED Bars or LED oval lights are the way to go behind the bumper... the cross member is a crashgaurd more than anything else so its ok to drill for light bar 2 holes through it wont damage its integrity
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:53   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz_mak View Post
Yeah stock lights are bad for highways, i had tried every brand of H7 bulbs that were out there before installing P7 4300k HID kit in both High & low beams, they were still not upto my liking cause i've always ran with 100/90 bulbs in my older cars.
Are you still running the HID kit on both high as well as low beam? If yes, it is possible for you to put up a few pictures of the same?

Also, how bad is the glare from the high beam now, as the factory fitted halogens on my W6 are good enough to make anyone give up driving with their brights on as soon as I flash them a couple of times.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2017 at 01:56.
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:15   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Are you still running the HID kit on both high as well as low beam? If yes, it is possible for you to put up a few pictures of the same?

Also, how bad is the glare from the high beam now, as the factory fitted halogens on my W6 are good enough to make anyone give up driving with their brights on as soon as I flash them a couple of times.
No the HID was setup on my older XUV which i've sold, the current XUV i have i only upgraded the low beam to 90Watts H7 bulbs left the high beam as it is. mainly cause the shop didn't have any more spares which reminds me to order new H7 online.

I would highly not recommend HIDs in high beam, the pattern is very wide/ scattered & it causes nuisance to on coming traffic & even to the cars you follow by a few feet, i've been told by many hence i would highly avoid installing it in the High beam.

If you do need extra lights, do what i have done now & install 100Watt Hella or similar brand Aux lights inside the grill. I wanted something discreet hence went for this. have a look at the installation pic, i haven't had a chance to take a proper pic from outside yet but I will add it here later. My pre-worshiped XUV came with front guards installed, which i don't like cause it spoils the look of the car... so i removed the guard & on the factory fitting brackets that come with the guard we pushed the bracket of the Aux lights & tighten it up.

These 4" lamps (forgot the brand name) with H3 100Watts bulbs cost me around Rs. 3500 with wiring & relay on my Fog lamps, since these are 100 watts i can easily run the setup without turning on my headlamps at all for the city, I've yet to try it on the highways as i got my XUV last week only.

I will post more pictures later. these were taken during install, Its easy to adjust the throw of the lights to how ever you want, I've set it so it points downwards and not cause any nuisance to oncoming traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171127_172247.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171127_172241.jpg  

Last edited by dreamz_mak : 2nd December 2017 at 11:18.
dreamz_mak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:26   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Dear Gurus,

I had fitted LED in the low beam projectors of my xuv which i had sourced from aliexpress. I had to make a cut in the rubber as the fan had to be outside and even the size is too big to fit inside the headlight.

First of all fitting it itself was a very big task and i did it on my own. Secondly the lights seemed very bright in the garage but in real driving conditions i was not satisfied with it's performance hence i sold it off on ebay and installed philips xtreme vision 130+. It's much better than stock osram.

If you really interested in going for LEDs i would suggest you to research a bit about Philips Ultinon series. I didn't had that much budget for lights so didn't go for it but am sure they are much better than the ones on aliexpress.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:11   #111
BHPian

Yup no matter what lights you put in, it will not be good.. whether its brands like Philips or Osram or sub brands like P8 kits. its the design / limitation of the projector installed in XUV which is the problem.

To achieve optimum results without spending a bomb on lights the best you can do is install regular H7 bulbs of the highest watts you have available in both High & Low Beam and get the lights auxiliary lights installed.

Today i had a chance to test my setup of lights & I feel that it is adequate for highway driving. I've driven today on Ghats, one lane roads & 4 lane highways for my small family trip from Mumbai to Kelwa Beach in Palghar.

The major gripe with XUV owners is that in oncoming traffic their lights are barely visible and I think with my setup of having a low auxiliary lights it works best & doesn't hinder any oncoming traffic yet provide enough light on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171202_215953.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171202_215934.jpg  

dreamz_mak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 00:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
First of all fitting it itself was a very big task and i did it on my own. Secondly the lights seemed very bright in the garage but in real driving conditions i was not satisfied with it's performance hence i sold it off on ebay and installed philips xtreme vision 130+. It's much better than stock osram.
You’re right, Rahul. The engine bay being so packed makes it very hard to tinker with the headlights. Also, the reason why the LED lights weren’t sufficient in driving conditions was because the projectors are ill designed, and no matter how powerful an LED or an HID kit one drops in, the light throw & the spread on the low beam remains far from satisfactory.

Quote:
The major gripe with XUV owners is that in oncoming traffic their lights are barely visible and I think with my setup of having a low auxiliary lights it works best & doesn't hinder any oncoming traffic yet provide enough light on the road.
You have a great setup with the auxiliary lights, as they’ll never cause problems to the oncoming traffic due to their mounting height, unlike some people who’ve gone for roof mounted light bars or spot lights on the same level as the headlights.
Do post pictures with the throw & spread of the auxiliary lights as well.
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:39   #113
BHPian

Quote:
You have a great setup with the auxiliary lights, as they’ll never cause problems to the oncoming traffic due to their mounting height, unlike some people who’ve gone for roof mounted light bars or spot lights on the same level as the headlights.
Do post pictures with the throw & spread of the auxiliary lights as well.
My parking is always well lit, so i turned off the tublelights above reversed out about 10ft back and turned on the lights.

I am not sure how to show which image is what as i am on my phone but i am hoping its understandable.
1st Image is of the fog lights and the auxiliary lights
2nd image is +low beam
3rd image is + high beam
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171203_142028.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171203_142039.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20171203_142043.jpg  

Last edited by dreamz_mak : 3rd December 2017 at 17:40.
dreamz_mak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:51   #114
BHPian

Quote:
My parking is always well lit, so i turned off the tublelights above reversed out about 10ft back and turned on the lights.
Firstly, either your high beams are set too low or mine are set too high, because your high beams seem to be only a little higher than the level of the low beams, whereas mine literally illuminate tree tops & overhead signs. Did you get them adjusted like this or were they this way from the factory?

Secondly, with the auxiliary lights on, you can now easily drive with just the LED + fog lamps on setting, like I usually do, as it makes the previous generation XUV look really wide & macho.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-91f5d4087e0445dbabf2715039d749ce.jpeg  

AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 11:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, either your high beams are set too low or mine are set too high, because your high beams seem to be only a little higher than the level of the low beams, whereas mine literally illuminate tree tops & overhead signs. Did you get them adjusted like this or were they this way from the factory?
Well it does illuminate sign boards & trees etc as well in my case, I guess its the distance between my XUV & the wall which is showing that effect, I have not gotten it adjusted, maybe the previous owner did in which case i don't know. I know you can get it adjusted or adjust it yourself using the screw near the high beam light (will take a picture of that when i get a chance)

Quote:
Secondly, with the auxiliary lights on, you can now easily drive with just the LED + fog lamps on setting, like I usually do, as it makes the previous generation XUV look really wide & macho.
For city driving the LED + Fog Lamps (+Aux lights) are well enough, for the highways you need the low beam at least, but even with the H7 100Watts bulbs in low beam when there is oncoming traffic from the opposite lane the lights get scattered & is barely visible. Will be installing H7 100Watts in High beam as well this week.

BTW did anyone notice a X pattern of the High beam in Foggy situations? it seems to me that when there is a light fog or smoke on the roads, i can see the High beam making an X / ^ pattern on the road.
dreamz_mak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 10:01   #116
BHPian

Quote:
BTW did anyone notice a X pattern of the High beam in Foggy situations? it seems to me that when there is a light fog or smoke on the roads, i can see the High beam making an X / ^ pattern on the road.
You are spot on with your observation, as I’ve noticed this X formation on slightly foggy/smoky conditions as well.

Since high beams are present to help light travel the furthest distance possible, from what I’ve understood, they are designed in a way to cut into each others’ path, ensuring maximum penetration into the darkness.
In the XUV, however, the high beams are skewed & thus are a bit too inwardly banked, making the high beams completely cross each others’ path & forming an X that you observed.
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:54   #117
BHPian

Has anyone used Quaden HID kit for fog lamps? Heard from a store that some XUV owners had fog lamps converted into HID due to Shadow effect in low beam. It's costs 7k. Any pointers??
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522725824620.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522725837425.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522725847441.jpg  

sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:07   #118
BHPian

After a long research and trial and error method with high beam low beam finally i changed the fog light bulbs to LED and am pretty happy with the output.

Its a straight fit and no wire slicing or modification required and it is priced at little less than 2k.

http://s.aliexpress.com/aUvEzQZr
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522729853993.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522729907186.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1522729973222.jpg  

rahul_kej is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 07:05   #119
BHPian

Shadow problem is solved

We have installed OSRAM Xenon H7 kit in the low beam and the shadow was prominent.
Yesterday the bulb was rotated 180 degrees and the issue is solved.

For enabling rotation, little bit grinding was done on the bulb opposite to the notch.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-20180511_185432.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-20180511_185248.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-20180511_180510.jpg  

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-20180511_180457.jpg  

Last edited by vinodv001 : 12th May 2018 at 07:06.
vinodv001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
After a long research and trial and error method with high beam low beam finally i changed the fog light bulbs to LED and am pretty happy with the output.

Its a straight fit and no wire slicing or modification required and it is priced at little less than 2k.

http://s.aliexpress.com/aUvEzQZr
Hi Rahul, these are H11 right? And did you try using these on low beam? Since they look so bright it would work great in low beam dont you think? Also how are they performing till now, happy with them?

Sorry for so many questions.

Last edited by nitinralli : 18th May 2018 at 14:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks