Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 00:46   #151
BHPian

Re: K&N and fuel efficiency - Suzuki Swift

Has someone installed any filters on Swift 1.2 Kseries .
Want to check the placement of filter and intake pipes.
I have a BMC filter.
Could some share pics for K series Swift
Old 17th February 2011, 17:49   #152
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Even the cheapest cars cost 250000 upwards and the swift costs 450000 upwards , don't you think an air filter if really fuel efficient and costing only upto 5k to 10k , the car manufaturer would not install as oe ? After all even the manufacturers want their cars to give better fuel economy . Compared to the cost of the car the air filter price is minimal , it would also be the selling USP of that car (higher mileage).As far as performance is concerned the more air you let into the engine obviously the car will breathe better , i.e. better performance .
You make a valid point. But we need to understand that stock cars (and the mass market) will hate the kind of sound that a K&N makes. Plus, the open filters are risky during monsoons. Lastly, there's the increased cost. The OEM replacement filter you buy for 200 bucks costs the manufacturer only 35.

A free flow exhaust improves performance. But not every manufacturer offers that either, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_gem View Post
Has someone installed any filters on Swift 1.2 Kseries .
Please search through the forum; I'm pretty sure I've seen some Ritz / Swift 1.2s with K&Ns.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 19:39   #153
BHPian

What I meant was better performance (i.e. K&N ,free flow exhaust etc) may not necessarily mean better fuel economy . Which is expected by 99.9% of budget car buyers , so only a miniscule percentage of them fine tune engines add ecu upgrades etc. I believe most manufacturers have fine tuned their budget cars to give the best ratio of power to Fuel Efficiency and so as the topic goes "K&N and fuel efficiency - Suzuki Swift " I see no evidence of any increase in fuel economy in all those who have fitted one . As far as performance goes it is entirely a subjuctive matter , and if high on daddy's vitamin M then the sky is the limit. So if anyone proves a credible increase in FE to me I will throw my stock filter (paper element) and be the first to buy K&N after petrol will touch rs100/lt one day.
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:57   #154
BHPian

I don't Really Think there is any improvement in Fuel Efficiency putting in a K&N or Green or BMC (have one on my swift)..
Its only sound that differences and rest is in our Mind

Unless you have FFE and other mods combined to give inc in performance.
Again i have not seen anyone seen increase in Fuel efficiency (including myself).

Here is what i have under my bonnet.
Attached Thumbnails
K&N and fuel efficiency - Suzuki Swift-.jpg  

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd February 2011 at 21:45. Reason: Image added to previous post.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:07   #155
BHPian

Here's the link to the K&N site for the Swift. It is a basic performance filter that replaces the stock filter. I have this in my swift petrol
K&N Releases Air Filter for 2002 to 2007 Maruti Suzuki Swift

The model is 33-2910 and available through methods automotive. They have an office in bangalore.I'am not sure about other cities though. Let me share my experience with this filter
33-2910 was fitted after about 20k and now the ODO reads 50k. I have done one cleaning in between using the K&N recommeded filter cleaner at Mandovi motors. There is a difference in the engine note from the stock to this filter and i have had an increase in FE by 1 km per litre. I used to get about 12kmpl and now the average is 13 kmpl in the city. The difference means that the filter has paid back for itself and by now i would have had to change a couple of regular filters.
I read in one of the posts that more air means more dust. I dont know the logic behind the statement. The air flow is increased due to more surface area being available for suction. The filter material does the job of keeping the dust out. The filter sits in the box and hence not directly exposed to the dust that normally settles in the engine bay if you dry on very dusty roads. This is where i feel the difference lies between this filter and the conical filter that fits outside the box. Actually the box assembly of the filter needs to be removed

I have not bothered to check the claimed gain in BHP because it is not worth all the effort as we all know that the quoted BHP by the manufacture ( in this case maruti) is not really available at the wheels.

End of the day if you want to change the stock filter on your swift to this particular model, my recommendation is go ahead and do it

Disclaimer: i have no business interests in methods automotive or K&N
Old 1st March 2011, 17:38   #156
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
The air flow is increased due to more surface area being available for suction. The filter material does the job of keeping the dust out. The filter sits in the box and hence not directly exposed to the dust that normally settles in the engine bay if you dry on very dusty roads. This is where i feel the difference lies between this filter and the conical filter that fits outside the box. Actually the box assembly of the filter needs to be removed

I have not bothered to check the claimed gain in BHP because it is not worth all the effort as we all know that the quoted BHP by the manufacture ( in this case maruti) is not really available at the wheels.

End of the day if you want to change the stock filter on your swift to this particular model, my recommendation is go ahead and do it
The increased airflow is not more because of the increased surface area, rather than better airflow conditions. These is a distinctive difference between the two issues, which is often totally wrongly qouted and applied.

Whether an air filter sits in the box or outside the box does not allow for the conclusion that either of them collects more or less dust. This is down to individual designs and the engineer has to find the right spot for the best airflow, the highest pressure, the least turbulences, the correct filter shape, the best and correct routing and sizing of the piping. There is a few more things to it, but I do not want to bore people with all the details.

Just for the doubters and the people who like to argue: I am not talking keyboard warrior theory. I do this king of work on a daily basis and do know all the articles you could qoute and do know what the meaning in the context is.
Old 1st March 2011, 21:10   #157
BANNED

While I am not looking for more bhp I would certainly love more peppiness in the low gears for city driving - to close the gaps quickly before others jut in

And aaaah yes the "promise" of increased mileage is tempting like the whiff and aroma from the nearby bakery . So which filter is recommended for a Gypsy to kill two birds with one filter er stone and make my bird "fly" ?

I plan to put it after 10K kms on the odo.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 1st March 2011 at 21:12.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:10   #158
BHPian

Dear CPH,
Since you seem to have the technical expertise, please send a PM regarding the exact way of installing the performance filter RU4950 onto a 2006 swift( petrol). If you can do with pics, it is better since i'am planning to go ahead with the performance filter dust or no dust. Of course i know the theory of pressure, correct location etc but need to see pics to understand the theory
Old 27th May 2011, 16:01   #159
BHPian

Hey,

I have a 2006 swift. Can anyone tell me from whom can I get a universal K&N filter fitted in Bombay? And what would be the approximate dent in my pocket ?
Old 9th October 2011, 22:30   #160
BHPian

I have a 2006 Swift Vxi & after having read all 11 pages of this thread I'm still doubtful on a few points:

1) according to k&n there seems to be only a replacement stock filter for the swift (from their official site: www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx)
- SO, officially there seems to be no performance filter available for the Swift. However, there were quite a few comments on installing performance filters/CAIs..any advice on whether it is worth tinkering with these & at what risk?

2) How much difference in power does one get with just the replacement filter vs other types?

3) Also, is it a real pain to get all the extra plummbing done & is it worth it?

4) There was a comment on free flow installation, can anyone guide me on the benefits and what exactly needs to be done at what cost. Further, can ffe be done with a stock replacement filter?

5) Finally, I read about RActive & a few other brands. Any comments on whether K&N is really worth the extra bucks or is there a worthy & reliable substitute.

My main aim is to change as little as possible with a minimum 5% gain in bhp and no change or improvement in FE.
Any complete responses would be much appreciated & possibly help consolidate a thread that's been lying dormant for a while now.
Cheers!
Old 10th October 2011, 11:21   #161
Senior - BHPian

I have entered my inputs in the quote below.

Please note that these are just my opinions and may or may not be right ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
I have a 2006 Swift Vxi & after having read all 11 pages of this thread I'm still doubtful on a few points:

1) according to k&n there seems to be only a replacement stock filter for the swift (from their official site: K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search)
- SO, officially there seems to be no performance filter available for the Swift. However, there were quite a few comments on installing performance filters/CAIs..any advice on whether it is worth tinkering with these & at what risk?

Most of the Cold Air Intake/Conical filters are of the universal type and hence can suit a wide range of cars.

2) How much difference in power does one get with just the replacement filter vs other types?

Pure power might be marginal but what you do get is an increased ability to rev more freely after installing CAI/Conical properly. The only advantage to the replacement filter is that you do not have to change it quite often like stock filters.

3) Also, is it a real pain to get all the extra plummbing done & is it worth it?

It is not a pain at all to get CAI/Conicals installed in your car. Just ensure you get it done at the right place.

4) There was a comment on free flow installation, can anyone guide me on the benefits and what exactly needs to be done at what cost. Further, can ffe be done with a stock replacement filter?

For FFE check out Automech's site. The benefits are numerous. There are many threads in here detailing them. And it is your choice if you want to install a FFE with a replacement filter but ideally a CAI/Conical would be better.

5) Finally, I read about RActive & a few other brands. Any comments on whether K&N is really worth the extra bucks or is there a worthy & reliable substitute.

If you can afford it then BMC's DIA filter system would be the best bet for the swift. A picture was put up by someone above.

My main aim is to change as little as possible with a minimum 5% gain in bhp and no change or improvement in FE.

Regarding fuel efficiency well after all these mods, if you drive sanely then ideally your FE will go up but with all these mods who would not want to cut loose a few 6000RPMS

Any complete responses would be much appreciated & possibly help consolidate a thread that's been lying dormant for a while now.
Cheers!
Old 12th June 2013, 16:03   #162
BHPian

I have a Swift 1.3 Vxi ABS and have installed the stock drop in filter from K&N. The differences I observed during my use for the past 1 year or so are below

1) No Change in the sound.
2) Better pickup.
3) Better low end torque (It easily pulls the car in 2nd gear from a standstill without issues)
4) No difference in mileage.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:56   #163
BHPian

Without much expectation on performance (FE should not fall) want to install cold air intake in my 2010 Ritz Zxi. Finishing the extended warranty mid of this year. So want to celebrate 4th year completion with this installation . Expecting a smoother revvy engine and little bit growl.

Either Cosworth or BMC. Want to know

- Which one would be preferable and why?
- Any reliable seller/installer in Bangalore and where?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2014, 20:05   #164
Senior - BHPian

Get a normal conical. I have been using a CAI setup for almost 6 years now from Green cotton wind to BMC DIA recently. The outer shell of the DIA broke and been running the setup as a conical setup and never really felt any big difference.

Only issue would be during car wash or heavy rains i guess...

Last edited by deathwalkr : 5th March 2014 at 20:08.
Old 5th March 2014, 21:37   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Without much expectation on performance (FE should not fall) want to install cold air intake in my 2010 Ritz Zxi. Finishing the extended warranty mid of this year. So want to celebrate 4th year completion with this installation . Expecting a smoother revvy engine and little bit growl.

Either Cosworth or BMC. Want to know

- Which one would be preferable and why?
- Any reliable seller/installer in Bangalore and where?

Thanks in advance.
Piper cross could also be a option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks