Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2006, 21:32   #1
BHPian

hi guys
I am planning to buy a second hand car and modify it to use it for college use...i am a student,
my budget will be strictly only 5L
i have narrowed to City Vtech or 1.5 OHC or a Lancer petrol also what all do you think i can modify ... a little performance with sound just mentioning the free flow... a little look like upholstery...
i am a big fan of City Vtech is it possible to fit it in my purse...

pls help me in this regard ...
Ranjith
Old 23rd September 2006, 22:13   #2
BHPian

Looks bole toh Lancer......and if not much looks but real performance n power. then OHC Vtec!!! The Lancer is underpowered and the OHC vtec is much better in performance terms.......but if u want to go for cosmetic mods like body kits, etc etc bling bling...then lancer!
Old 23rd September 2006, 22:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

check out autopsyche's website. you will know the answer. regarding power Lancer has more power parts than honda city. so you can bump as much power as your pockets let you.
Old 24th September 2006, 00:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you want to do performace mods - Nothing beats the OHC VTEC. It's fast straight out of the box & with a few simple mods can be made really quick!!

If you want Looks or Wanna Pimp your ride/Show Off - Then nothing beats the Lancer due to sheer number of available parts for this car worldwide.

Choose your car depending on which way you want to go. Best of Luck!!
Old 24th September 2006, 00:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks+handling = Lancer
Power = City
Old 24th September 2006, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since you're a college student, I would suggest the City. Enough power to go with minimal mods, and better resale value when you plan to upgrade later on.

Go for the Vtec. Financially AND enthusiastically, it's a better choice.
Old 24th September 2006, 13:18   #7
BHPian

hi,
I recently came across a honda city Vtech which is at TVS used cars people in south might know better its similar to Maruti true value....
its a 2001 model with 65k kms in the odo....
they are quoting 5L fo its ... is it worth it guys...
also is it possible to go for a diesel lancer and put some cash and modify it for some performance....
which is more suitable a petrol lancer or a diesel for a fitting something like a turbo....
Old 24th September 2006, 18:49   #8
elf
BANNED

@rranjith_kum:
Firstly, considering your budget constraints, intended purpose & residual value
- go for the Honda City. Hondas are cheaper to run due to their fuel efficiency & their parts are also reasonably priced, compared to Lancers. I know about Lancers coz I own one, & original parts prices get quite expensive.

If you decide to get a good regular Type II 1.5 (not VTEC), you'd get it for about 3 - 3.5 lakhs, depending upon the condition. You can add your base mods (free flow, K&N, wheels & tyres) for within 50K & spend the rest of the lakh on your ICE or a body kit or both.

Secondly, it's VTEC. Not Vtech.
Old 24th September 2006, 19:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to buy a old lancer probably within 2 to 2.5L and the rest of the money plonk in an EVO5 engine..
Silent killer.. power + original lancer looks
Maybe later when finances are back to normal put a body kit.. Nothing too jazzy but the modest SFX type, and good 15" 185/60 yoko rubber.
Old 24th September 2006, 20:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys guys..hes a college student.All this talk about turbos and engine swaps will only give him a fat petrol bill.
@godfather..i think hes lookin at cosmetic mods+free flow.Stuff like an evo engine swap would be too much of a hassle to maintain.I understand thay are your views but i dont think they belong on this thread...no offence bro.

Edit:Have you considered the baleno??

Edit again:When the man himself talks about a turbo setup,my ost is crap.Mods pls delete

Last edited by binz : 24th September 2006 at 20:14.
Old 24th September 2006, 20:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I would prefer to buy a old lancer probably within 2 to 2.5L and the rest of the money plonk in an EVO5 engine..
Silent killer.. power + original lancer looks
Maybe later when finances are back to normal put a body kit.. Nothing too jazzy but the modest SFX type, and good 15" 185/60 yoko rubber.
Those were exactly my thoughts.

Better check for costs on the threads but as far as I remember the cost of the engine would beclose to 4-5 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
@rranjith_kum:
Hondas are cheaper to run due to their fuel efficiency & their parts are also reasonably priced, compared to Lancers. I know about Lancers coz I own one, & original parts prices get quite expensive.
Which model of lancer do you own and which part was expensive and for how much?

Autocar did a used car review of Honda city and mitsubishi lancer. Lancer is said to be the best used car buy. And while Honda city prices are cheaper, lancer parts tend to have a longer life. Grab the old issues, they are interesting to read too.
Old 24th September 2006, 21:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Those were exactly my thoughts.
Better check for costs on the threads but as far as I remember the cost of the engine would beclose to 4-5 lacs.
Nope...cheaper
http://www.jspecautosports.com/catal...spx?cat_id=110
Check on sites...google etc.

The downside is..No Finance.
Old 24th September 2006, 23:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
Nope...cheaper
http://www.jspecautosports.com/catal...spx?cat_id=110
Check on sites...google etc.

The downside is..No Finance.
i checked out that site ....how much can i rely on it ... will the condition of the motor wil be atleast resonably good ... has anyone tried it before .... where can i get it fixed...

oh my god i m getting so many questions ... should my decision on my first car be so difficult...
Old 25th September 2006, 01:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

@rranjith: Decide what you want first; A car for life, or one that you can upgrade to a new model with, in the next few years.

If you might decide to sell later on, the city is a better bet.

If you know for sure that this is the car that you're gonna keep and tinker with for the next 5-6 years, then shut your eyes and go for a Lancer. Innumerable mod options available- it all just depends upon your purse's girth.

BTW, 5L for a 01' Vtec is a total rip off. Max 4-4.2 L. 2003 Vtec's sell for about 5.3-5.5, but very hard to come by.
Old 25th September 2006, 02:38   #15
BHPian

OHC all the way. Its bloody quick even in stock form. Doesn't drink too much. Lovely lovely induction noise... aaah
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks