Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 23:01   #31
BHPian

re: Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One big question that I always intend to ask these remap 'tuners' is how they arrive at a power output figure? They say they will make the output to 200bhp.. Is it at wheel? At crank? Did they Dyno it?
Well, as a matter of fact, they did not Dyno it, but I did it myself.

You can see the numbers in my thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3847634

I never got a remap done with a set figure, the point was a car with better drivability, I was quoted around 95bhp and I got a 100.
batterylow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 23:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

So the summary of this thread is,
1. They said they could remap your car, but couldn't.
2. There seems to be altercation between you and Sajan, post the remap failure.

Did they charge you for the remap ?

Last edited by F150 : 6th May 2016 at 23:06.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 23:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The OP clearly stated he does not care about good experiences and working maps. The OP has described his interaction and relationship as a client of CODE6. Installing existing maps is no big deal, tailoring a custom map or creating one for a car not previously worked on, is the tough bit. This is why the interaction with a tuner matters and if they are going to lie to you about it and instead of making things better, immediately lie further about the customer, that is a very cheap thing to have to witness. I find the guys at T-O-T have always been forthcoming and honest about their expertise and are genuine tuners, not just car guys trying to make a business. They never give nonsense like tall statements and high promises and vague suggestions that whatever it is they will handle it. They are clear and open and more than willing to bring you upto speed by helping you understand things. Which is why I personally share a lot of respect for them. It is hard to come by people like that who have not lost their way in gains and losses but treat their business on a more personal level and learn and evolve with it. Given the choice, I will always choose to further their cause instead of pay money to someone and hope they have not lied.
Thanks for understanding buddy! I am not against anyone who has "good experience" with Code 6. This is purely based on my interaction with them.

TOT Is one of the first firm to start custom remap in India. They are very frank and professional. Here they don't quote fake high numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
That was the sole reason i was inclined towards them for the remap, Since they would know the car better, But it does annoy me to see one of their customer getting insulted, I myself have faced issues with local garages at time when they actually messed up the job and then blamed me for it and gave random reasons, So all i am trying to say is, I can guess how Dr Naren must have felt.
Yes buddy. This experience was somewhat traumatic. I feel much better after posting this in Team-Bhp. I was insulted/made fun by them in their home forum. I was even questioned if I am a doctor. I can show my degree certificate, Can Sajan show what qualification he has to remap cars?

I suggest you to try TOT/Petes for VAG cars. TOT custom maps are quite famous for VAG cars. They did remap for Skoda 1.8 TSI recently (First in India). Petes gets remap from one of the best tuner in world who is known for VAG cars. Petes remap for other cars is not that great. But with Petes, you can't sit with tuner and make him tailor the remap for you.

Quote:

Re Code 6: I've heard good reviews as well as bad of 'em. I've heard reliable vehicles running, as well as seen ones which pump out white smoke. Which only keeps increasing with age. Not only them, guys who run piggy back boxes have also had issues.

One big question that I always intend to ask these remap 'tuners' is how they arrive at a power output figure? They say they will make the output to 200bhp.. Is it at wheel? At crank? Did they Dyno it? In Dr.Naren's case, they say its a 100bhp map. But have they Dynoed it? How did they arrive at that figure?
White smoke? Hmm.. Not good!

Black smoke is common post remap due to increased fueling. White smoke is a serious concern which means excess oil consumption.

I don't know how code 6 claims figures. I will tell you the normal procedure. A tuner makes necessary changes in map like Injector opening duration, SOI (Start of injection), Fuel rail pressure, Smoke map, Driver wish map etc. They do a theoretical calculation and estimate torque. Power is then calculated from torque and rpm figures. It is not accurate though. VAG cars show exact torque in VCDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
So the summary of this thread is,
1. They said they could remap your car, but couldn't.
2. There seems to be altercation between you and Sajan, post the remap failure.

Did they charge you for the remap ?
1. Yes
2. Yes

He did ask me to pay for the remap. I said "Look buddy-atleast correct the black smoke". He made few changes and still no success. I refused to pay and decided to remap on later date. I got back my stock map.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th May 2016 at 00:03.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 00:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hello Dr. Naren,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I haven't heard much about Code6 and just saw their name come up on the forum sometimes. The thing with the tuning scene in India is that all the tuners make use of automotive forums, facebook, Instagram.etc. for marketing their products. It's all happy-happy until people start reporting their bad experiences. After the experiences are reported the blame game starts and finally the thread is locked. But in all this the car suffers which is really bad. If someone from code6 is present on the forum it would be great if they come up with an explanation to the accusations put up by Dr.Naren with proofs. Bad-mouthing a rival just goes on to show the service providers real side.

Enjoy the RD Box.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 01:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello Dr. Naren,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I haven't heard much about Code6 and just saw their name come up on the forum sometimes. The thing with the tuning scene in India is that all the tuners make use of automotive forums, facebook, Instagram.etc. for marketing their products. It's all happy-happy until people start reporting their bad experiences. After the experiences are reported the blame game starts and finally the thread is locked. But in all this the car suffers which is really bad. If someone from code6 is present on the forum it would be great if they come up with an explanation to the accusations put up by Dr.Naren with proofs. Bad-mouthing a rival just goes on to show the service providers real side.

Enjoy the RD Box.

Asit
I second that buddy. I really did not expect code 6 to react in this way. When I posted this in another forum, I did give them benefit of doubt. They could have sincerely apologised and accepted the mistake instead of trying to defame me. I will quote what I had posted in that forum(my first post in that thread)

Quote:
July 2015 Petes remap

My SX4 diesel had clocked 80k kms and I got the Remap itch. I decided to go with Petes remap since Petes is a well known name. Remap costed 28k and power gain was quoted as 110bhp and 245nm.There was wheel spin even in 2 nd gear and turbo kick was more addictive. I loved the remap initially. Same day, I had to drive back 400 kms to mangalore from cochin at night. This drive made me hate the remap. I noticed flat spots in map and huge pile of smoke above 3k rpm. Also fuel efficiency dropped by 2 kmpl. I started missing my stock map. I had to schedule a drive back to cochin for stock map which I couldn't. I drove for 2000 kms more and noticed low oil pressure warning light. Maruti service advisor asked me to do engine overhaul. I cross checked the same with my FNG mechanic and only piston rings and engine head service was done. I dont know if remap was the culprit. Post repair, I used to drive car very safely. Finally after driving 5k kms I got my stock map. Engine oil consumption was nothing significant after piston rings change.

January 2016 Wolf moto remap

I had run 93k kms in my SX4. I did not face any oil consumption or mileage drop issues. But my car used to smoke a little even in stock map now. I read about switchable maps from Wolf and wanted to try the same. I drove again to Kochi for remap. Wolf tuner read my stock map and he was surprised to find out that it a 512 kb file. This is the first time he saw 512 kb file in 90 hp multijet engine. He had not remapped any sx4 before, but did a lot of lineas and puntos which has same engine. He told switchable maps requires ECU recoding and it would take time. I had to get back to mangalore. So we decided to go for a normal remap and I was promised switchable maps in future. Rajiv, the tuner started the work on remap. He told he is not going to change fuel pressure, injection cycles etc. He increased turbo boost pressure to 2600 mbar, made mild changes to SOI(start of injection) and increased fuel by 8 percent. He flashed the new map and we go for a drive. I missed the wheel spin, addictive turbo kick of Petes remap. I could feel only mild increase in low end. I started revving above 2500 rpm and car was picking speed all the way to 4000 rpm. In stock map power used to taper above 3000 rpm and now it is increasing. I was happy with the remap. But there was black smoke above 3k rpm. Rajiv will correct it and fine tune when he flashes switchable maps in future. There were no flat spots and linear power delivery in turbo zone. I enjoyed my drive back to mangalore. I have driven 5000 kms post Wolf remap with absolutely no issues except black smoke under hard acceleration. I would be getting switchable maps soon from Rajiv. Excited!!

November 2015 Code 6 remap for Grand i10

My Grand i10 had clocked 50k kms and I wanted to remap. I did not want to go back to Petes and I did not know about Wolf moto. I contacted code 6 and Tune O Tronics. I decided to go for Code 6 since the price quote was lesser. I drove to their bangalore workshop and remap process was initiated. Tuner told 90 bhp 200 nm would be ideal and he can give 100 bhp 220 nm with few precautions. I asked for the more powerful map and he worked on it and Flashed. I was very excited to feel 100 horses. We go for a drive. I start the car and accelerate.. No difference. Shift to 2 nd and accelerate.. May be there is slight difference. Shift to 3 rd and ya there is mild increase. Noticed mild increase even in 4 th and 5 th. But I was quoted 100 bhp and mild difference, I was not at all happy. Tuner did some changes to map and still I couldn't appreciate power gain. What I noticed was huge amount of Black smoke. I decided to get back stock map and work on remap at later date. Tuner had said Grand i10 is VGT, but I think it's a FGT. Guess the remap methods are different for FGT and VGT equipped cars.

Code 6 experience was before I got my SX4 Wolfed. I asked Rajiv about grand i10 and he said he has not done remap on grand i10 and could try. I am still confused about grand i10.I have asked for demo of diesel tronic tuning box in Grand i10. If am not happy with the box, I will try working it out again with Code 6 or else catch up with Rajiv at Kochi.

I will list down few Points I learnt from interaction with various tuners.

1.Tuning box basically deals with fuel rail pressure or injection modulation. Diesel tronic dual channel deals with boost pressure too. All sensors have voltage range of 0-5 volts. Tuning box alters these values and fool the ecu to inject more fuel.

2.ECU Remap. Power gain is possible with a remap in many ways. There are a lot of parameters to play around with. Fuel rail pressure, injection duty cycle, SOI, Torque limiters, Drivers wish map, smoke map, Turbo boost pressure etc etc can be altered. So with a remap, power delivery is any day better than tuning box.

3.About Petes remap. Petes has tie up with many international tuners. Drawback is you can't sit with your tuner and make him tailor the map for you. Also Petes is good for VAG cars since they get the remap done from Custom Code. I dont know about the Petes remap for other manufacturers.

4.Switchable ECU REMAP. Wolf moto is the only tuner in India who offers switchable maps for fiat multijet, Fiat T jet, Renault dci engines at same or even lesser cost than normal remap of other tuners. Few tuners do have option of switchable maps using a obd flasher which would cost around 30 K plus remap price.

I will post more details as I clock more miles in My Sx4 and after I get switchable maps from Wolf.
I gave my honest opinion about my remap experience and it took an ugly turn by personal attacks and lame arguments. I am not expecting anything or least bothered about what Sajan says anymore. It is just another story/lie.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th May 2016 at 01:04.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 04:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
November 2015

I wanted to remap my Grand I10 diesel. There were no details online about grand i10 with remap. It is a rare sight in any tuners garage. I contacted TOT & Code 6. TOT told me honestly that they have not remapped grand i10 diesel before but it is definitely possible. Code 6 claimed to have remapped one grand i10 before and price quote was lesser. Tuner also claimed power gain post remap would be 100 bhp and 220 NM.
If I may ask, why did you decide to remap the Grand i10? Did you feel the engine was giving up before the chassis or your limits?

Did you ask for the comparison maps of the Grand i10 Code6 had already tuned?

It will be really good to know the background on why people decide to do remaps or performance upgrades for that matter.

The reason why I'm asking you is, there was a time when I wanted to get more from my 4 year old Fiesta 1.6L petrol. I did talk to many people including Code6. What I got was quite honest feedback (Yes from gearheads forum). Don't think its a crime to mention the name here for the benefit of others.

I was told in detail what are the expected challenges in doing performance mods to a naturally aspirated road going Fiesta petrol engine (not talking about rally spec) since it's going to be a lot of trial and error doing a CAM replacement, custom tune etc.. I'm not even talking about the overhyped remapping for NA engines (and doing nothing else) for which some pay upwards of 30,000.

So if I can't go fast, what could I do? Stop late. Get the brakes upgraded. I shopped around and I couldn't get the right spec upgrade rotors and pads for the Fiesta. I could have still got Brembo rotors ALONE but use Ford Motorcraft pads. But then I would also have to start a thread on how the Brembo disks chew the OEM pads and how I lost money.

I can't thank these fellow petrolheads enough for saving me money and time. At times I wonder if I should start a thread titled, "I'm glad that I didn't do these modifications".

So for those who think of doing any modifications, do your research first and get your priorities and expectations straight. There's this other Baleno Turbo thread where the owner lists "Reliability" three times on his list. I've no words for it.

Quote:

Now I am running my car with RD tuning box (single channel) and power gain is very much noticeable.
Glad to know. Enjoy your ride.

Instead of being subjective, is it possible for you to do a stock map vs custom map dyno run and see where and how the power gain has been?

Quote:
I am really not interested in any arguments like "My experience was good".

I request everyone to share their bad experience too with any tuner/Modifier.
Err. So this thread should ONLY contain bad experiences? People who had good experiences shouldn't mention about it here? That would require a thread title change. Come on.

Quote:

I have shared my experience and my message is not to blindly trust any tuner.

Cheers!
100% agree. Especially the part on being blind.

Last edited by kiku007 : 7th May 2016 at 04:22.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 06:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
If I may ask, why did you decide to remap the Grand i10? Did you feel the engine was giving up before the chassis or your limits?

Did you ask for the comparison maps of the Grand i10 Code6 had already tuned?
Grand i10 has neutral dynamics. Stock power is just 70 ps and torque figure is low at 160 NM. I wanted little more punch from the engine in mid and top end. When I contacted Code 6, They quoted all big numbers and said one car was doing well with remap. But later in that forum, Sajan says there is no good tune available by anyone for grand i10. If he had informed me about the same before, I would have definitely not driven all the way to bangalore and wasted my time & money.

I seriously don't believe they have remapped another grand i10 before.

Anyways happy to hear that you were guided in right direction unlike me.

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2016, 08:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
He did ask me to pay for the remap. I said "Look buddy-atleast correct the black smoke". He made few changes and still no success. I refused to pay and decided to remap on later date. I got back my stock map.
I am surprised to read this as most tuners I have interacted, Code 6 including, offered to revert the car to stock and refund the money in case I am not satisfied.
Old 7th May 2016, 08:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

umm.. the fact that you haven't paid him, makes me look at this entire thread in a different perspective.

Since the tuner hasn't conned you or anything. He said he could do something, but he couldn't.

So, the real issue for you was he was bad mouthing you and hence you started this thread?

Last edited by noopster : 8th May 2016 at 07:52. Reason: Typo :)
dhanushs is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 08:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I am surprised to read this as most tuners I have interacted, Code 6 including, offered to revert the car to stock and refund the money in case I am not satisfied.
Yes buddy. All tuners claim to take cash only if customer is satisfied. Some of them offer 1 week cash back guarantee too. I was shocked when sajan asked me to pay for a remap which was really bad and he was also not happy about it. I refused to pay. I am happy about that decision. I lost around 5k driving all the way to bangalore, accommodation etc.
Thank you Code 6

Quote:
umm.. the fact that you haven't paid him, makes me look at this entire thread in a different perspective.

Since the tuner hasn't conned you or anything. He said he could do something, but he couldn't.

So, the real issue for you was he was bad mounting you and hence you started this thread?
Money is not the issue here. I wasted my time & energy due to false claims by Code 6. More than that, I wanted to show how they tried to put me down to mask their mistake.
Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2016 at 08:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 09:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

dear dr. Naren, I so want to believe you, I really do. My doubts regarding this stem from the fact that I joined this forum in 2004. I have seen this code 6 id on other forums as well pretty early in the day. I remember reading his blogs on Hyundai Elantra and associated road trips. I would wager he has atleast 10 years experience with this. Considering that, how could such a person put a VGT map in a FGT car. Seems like too obvious a mistake for a person of such experience, unless he did that as a test job and you played along with him. You haven't paid him, so apart from diesel charges to and from bangalore and mangalore, you haven't lost much yet. Depending on your car's fuel effienciency and price of diesel that would be less than Rs. 1500 even with multiple trips. In FGT models even with remaps there isn't that much of a bhp addition as there in VGT models.

What you could have really done with a remap was to do an EGR block and a moderate bhp boost. Did he refuse to revert to stock map because you had developed pretty much major differences with him by then and you didn't pay him anything and he with held the stock map from you as a surety.
Old 7th May 2016, 09:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Money is not the issue here. I wasted my time & energy due to false claims by Code 6. More than that, I wanted to show how they tried to put me down to mask their mistake.
Cheers!
Hello Doctor ,

Ultimately all the tuners , be it Code 6 , Pete's, ToT or anyone in market is running a business and marketing will be involved in few of the claims they make .

I believe we should be able to identify the facts and then take a decision based on the requirement , you probably missed to do that exercise and now term it as "wasted time and energy", dont think anyone chased / pushed you to go this Tuner other than yourself with the thought of improved performance from the car.

The remap decision was taken by you only and when it turned out that the modifications done are not up to the expectation everything turned bad ?

As long as your car is running back on stock without any issues , no money paid for the so called false claims i wonder why this exercise now ?

Probably it would be more appropriate to consider the entire experience as good for the fact that you gained more knowledge
ranjithrnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 10:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
dear dr. Naren, I so want to believe you, I really do. My doubts regarding this stem from the fact that I joined this forum in 2004. I have seen this code 6 id on other forums as well pretty early in the day. I remember reading his blogs on Hyundai Elantra and associated road trips. I would wager he has atleast 10 years experience with this. Considering that, how could such a person put a VGT map in a FGT car. Seems like too obvious a mistake for a person of such experience, unless he did that as a test job and you played along with him. You haven't paid him, so apart from diesel charges to and from bangalore and mangalore, you haven't lost much yet. Depending on your car's fuel effienciency and price of diesel that would be less than Rs. 1500 even with multiple trips. In FGT models even with remaps there isn't that much of a bhp addition as there in VGT models.

What you could have really done with a remap was to do an EGR block and a moderate bhp boost. Did he refuse to revert to stock map because you had developed pretty much major differences with him by then and you didn't pay him anything and he with held the stock map from you as a surety.
You have misunderstood certain things even after I try to be very much clear. Why should I pay for a remap with almost nil power gain? He did ask me to pay and I refused. I asked him to put back my stock map. I told him clearly that I will come to you for remap another day. He kept insisting turbo is VGT because I20 with same engine in Europe has VGT. He did not even bother having a look at turbo. I did contact him and no response. I did not bother about it much. This confusion is pretty much possible as grand i10 is a rare sight for remap and few websites mentioned grand i10 has VGT. When I posted this in other forum, I was still willing to work with Code 6. I mentioned this in very first post. But I was attacked by everyone and insulted. Then Sajan turns up and puts down many stories. I got shocked and disappointed by this attitude and arrogance.
Old 7th May 2016, 10:11   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dr.Naren - well, after James, one more story, with so much to learn and avoid! .

I am very happy with my diesel hatch perk car. It does high speeds with ease, handles very neutrally with zero steering lag, (I just optimized the tires as per the ITTAC manual with handling suitable compound, no change to offset so as not to monkey around with scrub radius, so production wheel rims which are more than suitable) and has rock-solid reliability. I don't want anything more! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2016 at 19:52. Reason: Mention of high speeds edited
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 10:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dr.Naren - well, after James, one more story, with so much to learn and avoid! .

I am very happy with my diesel hatch perk car. It does high speeds with ease, handles very neutrally with zero steering lag, (I just optimized the tires as per the ITTAC manual with handling suitable compound, no change to offset so as not to monkey around with scrub radius, so production wheel rims which are more than suitable) and has rock-solid reliability. I don't want anything more! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I have learnt lot of things based on my interaction with various tuners. No remap/tuning box is 100 percent reliable. I have had both good and bad experience.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2016 at 19:51. Reason: Removed personal comment on tuner. Let's stay on topic please!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks