Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 13:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I think that if the motive of OP is 6, then it has been met. Anyone looking for reviews of the tuner online will stumble upon this thread and can make their own wise decision.

If however that is not the intent and OP is looking to settle this matter online, this thread will not get any closure unlike James's thread as we have heard only one side of the story.
Beautiful analysis, but I think it is pretty clear what the OP's intent is over here; to share his experience and thus hope to warn potential customers. Nowhere is there a mention of wanting to "settle this matter". He has clearly stated that he is not expecting anything from Code6 and after the way he was treated on the other forum, I wouldn't be surprised that he has come to expect nothing.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th May 2016 at 13:17.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:21   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
As deduced from OP's post.

1. Tuner claimed to have done his homework on the car, but did not.
2. Tuner could not extract the required power from the car.
3. Tuner as well as OP were not happy with the results.
4. Tuner wanted to be paid, OP refused to pay.
5. OP and tuner indulge in a bitter fracas online.
6. OP shares his story here with an intention to warn other people.

I think that if the motive of OP is 6, then it has been met. Anyone looking for reviews of the tuner online will stumble upon this thread and can make their own wise decision.

If however that is not the intent and OP is looking to settle this matter online, this thread will not get any closure unlike James's thread as we have heard only one side of the story.

This will just end up being a echo chamber otherwise!
You have put it down very well buddy. I wanted to share my experience here. Code 6 is free to comment here or communicate to me or any moderators and justify anything from their side. But I have had enough with Code 6 & Sajan Thomas. I am not advising anyone not to remap with Code 6. Customers are free to decide. I have seen only few come forward and put up their issues/bad experience with tuners. I am happy to have done my job to share this thread with fellow enthusiasts and not hesitate to talk against so called big firms.

Cheers!
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
A "reputed tuner" is a contradiction in terms. They don't exist. Even the more visible ones have had a lot of issues with customers. it is just that you hear only a fraction of them.
They do exist just probably not in India to any great extent - most of them are the in-house or close cooperation tuning firms which have some relationship with the manufacturer - M, AMG, Alpina, Brabus, Polestar, Nismo, Mugen, Heico et al.

These guys do their homework as they have the budget and pretty much always deliver on their promise. Least to say, their parts and remaps are anything but cheap. However, the quality of the tune and parts makes these worth the money IMHO over the 99% of the fly by night operators we see in India.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I agree buddy. Most of the issues/problems post remap are not documented in forums. People tend to share only good experience and that's why majority think remap is very safe.

Let's not call tuning industry as grey market. I do not know how lawful is remap/tuning. I have interacted with many tuners like TOT, Wolf, Petes, Code 6 and Kiirus. There is nothing like who is the best.

TOT

1. Very professional and one of the first firm to start custom remap in India
2. TOT remapped cars have won highest number of races
3. I was told by them clearly that they can try to remap grand i10 and if I am not happy, I need to pay only their travel expenses.

Wolf Moto

1. Rajiv (tuner) is a humble guy and explains whatever he does clearly to the customer.
2. Wolf moto is one of the best option for Fiat cars. He has switchable maps ( 5 maps).

Petes

1. I do not have to say anything about them. We all know
2. Petes remap for VAG cars is very good. They get it done from one of the best tuner in world.
3. I am not sure about Petes remap for other cars. It was not that great in my SX4.

Kiirus

1. They have remapped highest number of NA petrol engines than any other tuner
Hello Doctor ,

I fail to understand the real sense of your posts , if you were knowing the reputation of above mentioned tuners , did anyone force / compel you to approach Code 6 ?

I am pretty sure that every tuner listed above might have a customer percentage who belongs to "not satisfied" category, we dont get to see the threads from those customers because many of them understands the complexity and marketing involved in the whole process and then take a call based on the fact that it can go wrong / not meet your expectation / can be good as well.

You took a decision based on the marketing done by Code6 and when you realized that the output of your efforts is not meeting expectation all the remap thing became so dangerous and Code6 is under scanner , wonder what if Code 6 were able to provide a map which satisfied you even after the so called insults / attacks made on the other forum ? Then also your intention of alerting other potential customers would have been still there ?

Thanks,
Ranjith
Old 8th May 2016, 14:25   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Hello Doctor ,

I fail to understand the real sense of your posts , if you were knowing the reputation of above mentioned tuners , did anyone force / compel you to approach Code 6 ?

I am pretty sure that every tuner listed above might have a customer percentage who belongs to "not satisfied" category, we dont get to see the threads from those customers because many of them understands the complexity and marketing involved in the whole process and then take a call based on the fact that it can go wrong / not meet your expectation / can be good as well.

You took a decision based on the marketing done by Code6 and when you realized that the output of your efforts is not meeting expectation all the remap thing became so dangerous and Code6 is under scanner , wonder what if Code 6 were able to provide a map which satisfied you even after the so called insults / attacks made on the other forum ? Then also your intention of alerting other potential customers would have been still there ?

Thanks,
Ranjith
What you are saying is hypothetical.

I did not make a big deal about tuner not doing his homework well when I posted my experience in that forum. I said it is very much possible for anyone to believe turbo is VGT since various media reports and Wikipedia mentioned like that. It would have been good if Sajan had atleast a look on turbo which he didn't. Code 6 could have accepted it honestly and offered to work on it rather than insulting the customer just for sharing the experience.

If code 6 did not use this cheap strategy and worked on a good remap, I guess this thread would not have existed today.

Based on my experience with Code 6, few suggestions to fellow enthusiasts.

1. Never blindly trust them. If your car is hardly remapped and they claim to have done one, please think twice.

2. I have serious doubts about the figures they quote. For eg, they quote 312 nm torque post remap for I20. Owner himself accepted somewhere in this forum that it was not put under dyno.

3. After I posted my experience, few people privately shared their bad experience too. But they requested me not to share it online for various reasons. If the owners consent, I can PM anyone who wants to know with proof. But I do not think it is right from my side to put others issues in public forum without consent.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th May 2016 at 14:29.
Old 8th May 2016, 14:40   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post

Hello Doctor ,-----snip_------ there ?

Thanks,
Ranjith
I'm unable to understand what you're asking.
After he refused to pay them, he came out and told of his dissatisfaction. If it was OK, what would he be warning people about?

If you call yourself a tuner, you have ONE job.
Tune.

Can't tune, don't deserve to be in the business.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 14:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this episode ever since it started to unfold on gearheads. I haven't posted on that thread or here until now.

As a casual observer i didn't find the OP, Dr.Naren, overly criticising Code6 in his opening post on gearheads. He just put in his views as a customer/prospective customer regarding his experience with various tuners including code6. Of course he did mention about the tuner mistaking his car had a vgt turbo and tuning accordingly while the car had a simple non ecu controlled fgt turbo.

Things started to go bad when few guys in gearheads started ridiculing the OP and his knowledge about his car's turbo while he was trying to assert his point that his car did not have a VGT turbo. Unlike in here he did not get any support though what he said was right that his car didnt have VGT. Tuner was wrong when he assumed it had a VGT. Should have accepted the mistake and moved on.

The whole thing was blown out of scale and degenarated into naming and shaming by both because few on gearheads thought that OP was taunting them on code6 home forum. In my eyes it didnt look like a taunt or put down by OP, he was just sharing his views regarding various tuners he interacted with.

Its sad it ended up like this especially the business shaming a customer for no fault of his.

I was a customer of Code6. I had a swift which was remapped by them and i was satisfied with their remap. I had a Polo GT TDI which was also remapped by Code6 and that too was nice, no complaints on the remap front. However the downpipe was not that good, didnt reduce the EGT stock and i went back to OE exhaust from VW, paid almost a lakh for it EGT was lower in stock. Hope they changed the design.

Since going by the thought that if you dont pay youre not a customer I can be called One and a <strike>Half</strike> Quarter customer, paid for Swift remap and downpipe, and partially paid for Polo.

Nothing more to say. Hope its settled amicably, nothing that a few good and sincere words cant fix.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th May 2016 at 14:54.
Sankar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 14:50   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have been following this episode ever since it started to unfold on gearheads. I haven't posted on that thread or here until now.

As a casual observer i didn't find the OP, Dr.Naren, overly criticising Code6 in his opening post on gearheads. He just put in his views as a customer/prospective customer regarding his experience with various tuners including code6. Of course he did mention about the tuner mistaking his car had a vgt turbo and tuning accordingly while the car had a simple non ecu controlled fgt turbo.

Things started to go bad when few guys in gearheads started ridiculing the OP and his knowledge about his car's turbo while he was trying to assert his point that his car did not have a VGT turbo. Unlike in here he did not get any support though what he said was right that his car didnt have VGT. Tuner was wrong when he assumed it had a VGT. Should have accepted the mistake and moved on.

The whole thing was blown out of scale and degenarated into naming and shaming by both because few on gearheads thought that OP was taunting them on code6 home forum. In my eyes it didnt look like a taunt or put down by OP, he was just sharing his views regarding various tuners he interacted with.

Its sad it ended up like this especially the business shaming a customer for no fault of his.

I was a customer of Code6. I had a swift which was remapped by them and i was satisfied with their remap. I had a Polo GT TDI which was also remapped by Code6 and that too was nice, no complaints on the remap front. However the downpipe was not that good, didnt reduce the EGT stock and i went back to OE exhaust from VW, paid almost a lakh for it EGT was lower in stock. Hope they changed the design.

Since going by the thought that if you dont pay youre not a customer I can be called One and a Half customer, paid for Swift remap and downpipe, and partially paid for Polo.

Nothing more to say. Hope its settled amicably, nothing that a few good and sincere words cant fix.
Thanks buddy!

Whatever you have said is 100 percent right and I agree on all points put forward by you. Since you have seen the entire episode in that forum, you have understood it very well. I had no intention to taunt/defame Code when I posted it there. This can be very well understood from my opening post.

Cheers
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 14:59   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Jaggu, the Thar CRDe has the K03 Turbo, from TEL IIRC.

What does a manual boost controller do?
Waste gate can be set at what ever setting you want, right now am running stock hardware and stock setting, so no over boost. Yes stock ones can be adjusted but i am not a big fan of mahindra hardware and don't want to fiddle with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Yeah, as a potential customer for code 6 after reading Jaggus review I am now definitely not going to use their services.

I have great regards for them, they maintain my Thar and Santro. Even referred few of my friends for routine running job.

I am VERY HAPPY with the remap done on my Thar!! and Sajan always has been helpful for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hope its settled amicably, nothing that a few good and sincere words cant fix.
+1 i know him, he is not your run off the mill tuner. His livelihood is from professional world and not this tuning business. Hope you guys patch up and move on.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 16:26   #85
KMT
BHPian

Re: Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore

Sorry Jaggu, I did not make myself clear.

I meant that after reading about your experience with code 6 I thought they were the best tuners in Blr and that I was planning to go to them.
However, after reading about Dr Narens experience I am reluctant to go there as I know how I will be treated if things go wrong.

Apologies again for my unclear post earlier.
KMT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 16:31   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Sorry Jaggu, I did not make myself clear.

I meant that after reading about your experience with code 6 I thought they were the best tuners in Blr and that I was planning to go to them.
However, after reading about Dr Narens experience I am reluctant to go there as I know how I will be treated if things go wrong.

Apologies again for my unclear post earlier.
These is nothing wrong to go with Code 6 for Thar buddy. I think they have done remap for couple of Thars and it should not be a problem. It is a bench flash I believe for the first time. Then any changes can be done through OBD port.
Old 8th May 2016, 17:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naren,

Your discussion on Hyundai 1.1 CRDi having a FGT has no information whatsoever, anywhere on the internet. I tried my best, even translating some Korean sites to find it, but every link, including official Hyundai links talk only about the VGT. Our very forum talks about this engine when it was launched, and it clearly mentions VGT. Check this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...crdi-unit.html

To verify further, I tried to check turbos on sale for the 1.1 CRDi. All of the e-commerce sites sell only VGT and not a single site I checked shows FGT for 1.1 CRDi.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the official Hyundai engine database screenshot and in the "U" family of engines, only two were developed - 1.1 U2 CRDI and a 1.5 CRDI. The engine code D3FA only denotes VGT in all documents and nowhere is FGT found. I can send you the official Hyundai engine database pdf document.

Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore-screen-shot-20160508-5.26.30-pm.pngName:  Screen Shot 20160508 at 5.29.31 pm.png
Views: 3977
Size:  39.5 KB

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to prove you wrong; rather it's an honest attempt at getting to the bottom of this, so that I can be clear too. For your kind information, I only knew of above mentioned tuners after reading your thread. I'm not a tuner myself and I'm a strong advocate to retaining stock map on all my cars. I go out of my way to stop my friends and family from tuning their cars. Just so that you know where I stand in the tuning scene - nowhere!

You can click on this link to access the pdf file:
http://www.hyundaiengine.com/data/ENGINE%20CATALOG.pdf
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 17:43   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Hi Naren,

Your discussion on Hyundai 1.1 CRDi having a FGT has no information whatsoever, anywhere on the internet. I tried my best, even translating some Korean sites to find it, but every link, including official Hyundai links talk only about the VGT. Our very forum talks about this engine when it was launched, and it clearly mentions VGT. Check this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...crdi-unit.html

To verify further, I tried to check turbos on sale for the 1.1 CRDi. All of the e-commerce sites sell only VGT and not a single site I checked shows FGT for 1.1 CRDi.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the official Hyundai engine database screenshot and in the "U" family of engines, only two were developed - 1.1 U2 CRDI and a 1.5 CRDI. The engine code D3FA only denotes VGT in all documents and nowhere is FGT found. I can send you the official Hyundai engine database pdf document.

Attachment 1505280Attachment 1505281

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to prove you wrong; rather it's an honest attempt at getting to the bottom of this, so that I can be clear too. For your kind information, I only knew of above mentioned tuners after reading your thread. I'm not a tuner myself and I'm a strong advocate to retaining stock map on all my cars. I go out of my way to stop my friends and family from tuning their cars. Just so that you know where I stand in the tuning scene - nowhere!

You can click on this link to access the pdf file:
http://www.hyundaiengine.com/data/ENGINE%20CATALOG.pdf

Hyundai 1.1 U2 CRDI engine is used in European I20. It gets VGT. I too tried lot of googling buddy. But it is of no help. I have attached the picture of turbo in my grand i10. You cannot find any electronic wastegate actuator here like VGT.

If you refer Hyundai India website, for all cars with VGT-it is being highlighted like verna/i20. Hyundai India doesn't mention Grand has VGT. Also when I contacted RD for tuning box, they said they have dual channel boxes only for cars with VGT which is controlled by ECU. Also Hyundai SA said "It's a small turbo saaaar integrated into exhaust manifold and not VGT like I20"

Cheers!

P.S. 1.1 U2 CRDI gets FGT in Grand, FGT with ECU control in Xcent and VGT in I20 (Europe)

It is not correct to search for turbo type for an engine. Say 1.3 multijet engine, it gets FGT in Swift/punto and VGT in SX4/Linea

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th May 2016 at 17:50.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 18:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hyundai 1.1 U2 CRDI engine is used in European I20. It gets VGT. I too tried lot of googling buddy. But it is of no help. I have attached the picture of turbo in my grand i10. You cannot find any electronic wastegate actuator here like VGT.
Yes, I did check your pictures but couldn't conclude anything, not being an expert myself. You may be right after all. As far as I can see, the Indian version is a 3 cylinder unit while the screenshot I've shared is a 4 cylinder unit. I'd imagine, they'd have gone the downsizing route, chopping off a cylinder and to balance it, used a FGT too. Makes sense, although there's no document to prove it but logically convincing. Even the manual shows VGT/WGT which means nothing but why would they add WGT unless they had FGT as an option? You're right after all, unless I find something substantial.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 18:42   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Yes, I did check your pictures but couldn't conclude anything, not being an expert myself. You may be right after all. As far as I can see, the Indian version is a 3 cylinder unit while the screenshot I've shared is a 4 cylinder unit. I'd imagine, they'd have gone the downsizing route, chopping off a cylinder and to balance it, used a FGT too. Makes sense, although there's no document to prove it but logically convincing. Even the manual shows VGT/WGT which means nothing but why would they add WGT unless they had FGT as an option? You're right after all, unless I find something substantial.
One more point to be noted buddy. When Hyundai launched Xcent, there was minor bump in power. It was mentioned as due to electronically controlled wastegate turbo unlike grand i10. This proves that grand i10 turbo is not electronically controlled. So it is impossible to increase boost by remap here.

Quote:
Hyundai says that a few tweaks to the ECU and a new electronically controlled wastegate (for the turbocharger) bump up power by 1bhp and 2.1kgm of torque over the Grand i10. This difference isn’t immediately apparent
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-381078,0.aspx

It is very clearly mentioned that slight power bump in xcent is due to electronically controlled wastegate unlike grand i10. Even in Xcent, they have not mentioned it as VGT.

It's very logical to conclude my previous statement now.

Grand i10 : FGT - 70 bhp
XCENT : FGT with ECU control - 71 bhp
I20 ( Europe) : VGT - 75 bhp

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th May 2016 at 18:56.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks