Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 19:19   #16
BHPian

I checked out one of these carz spa places, the guy was babbling on about teflon coating, bewildered i asked him to show me the coating product bottle, turned out there was no teflon in the product it was meguires bodyshop polymer/wax sealant great suff aswell! this teflon thing seems to me to be a bit like calling a photocopy from a cannon/hp/epsom etc. machine a xerox copy...Always check out what the guys are actually using before making your choice. If you want a xerox copy don't go to a guy using a cannon machine
Old 10th July 2009, 01:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

im posting these photos just to show how a paint enhancement and paint protection coating should be carried out in a professional way.

i have masked the numbers of the vehicles and the brand of the chemicals so that it doesnt sound like im advertising something from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?-08072009281a.jpg  

Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?-08072009286a.jpg  

Old 10th July 2009, 10:40   #18
D-Man

@parm you remind me of my first job

Old 10th July 2009, 15:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
what was your first job?
Old 10th July 2009, 15:35   #20
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Yeah, what was your first job??
Old 10th July 2009, 16:37   #21
D-Man

I worked as a detailer for a well known detail shop in Sydney. I worked my way through as a head detailer while I went to engineering school I mostly worked on Luxury and super cars. The vehicle owners used to Tip me by letting me spin the wheel for a while. That is how I ended up driving some of the most desired cars.

Old 10th July 2009, 18:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

glad to hear the word "Detailer", its like music to my ears!

sadly there is hardly any Professional Detailing shop in north india!
Old 10th July 2009, 19:56   #23
Team-BHP Support

My Grand Vitara had become yellow in the last few months. That is because it is being cleaned in the office, and the borewell water in the office is hard water. It looked so bad, I gave it for descaling (literally) and Waxoyl 100 plus treatment. The GV came back looking like new, all the yellow stuff gone. Got one year warranty card for the same.

Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?-_7105972.jpg
Old 10th July 2009, 20:02   #24
Team-BHP Support

Samurai jee: Some more details na baba !! And pics
Old 11th July 2009, 01:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Samurai jee: Some more details na baba !! And pics
+1 to that. All details and lots of pics.
Is this the Swiss company or an offshoot of our good 'ol Waxpol?
Old 11th July 2009, 15:37   #26
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
glad to hear the word "Detailer", its like music to my ears!

sadly there is hardly any Professional Detailing shop in north india!
I totally agree. I went downstairs last night with my team members and one of the CEO's Volvo S80 was being cleaned by his driver. Now the biggest mistake which most people do in India goes like this- This guy took a yellow 'duster' and WIPED the dust off the vehicle. All I could say is 'OUCH'.

With that said wont a true detail shop be a hit?

Old 11th July 2009, 16:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
well guys the paint protection market is a very confused and full of chaos in india. every polishing centre and dealership is selling TEFLON coating!

its very interesting to know how every one is selling TEFLON coating. how the word TEFLON got spread all over india.

its like this>> well there was a time when all the vehicles looking like jeeps were called jeep in india, and some vehicle looking like a tempo were called tempo and so on...

similary the TEFLON coating was the first to be introduced in india and the word spread. so every one cashed on the word TEFLON.

right now at the moment Diamondbrite is most known paint protection is being offered to indian vehicle owners.

there are others in the pipeline that are being evaluated by different OEMs in india.

3M as such has no paint protection and nor does Meguiar's, they just have sealants which last for 3-6 months ONLY!

TEFLON and other genuine paint protection are made up of two stage sealants which are applied on the body paint without usage of any buffer or polishing machine.( machines are used only for rubbing and polishing)!

a new or an old car is first prepared by enhancing its paint work and when its shiny and glossy and free of dirt, contamination, swirll marks, the two stage sealants are applied on top of the paint work to seal the paint.

i have worked for both 3M & Meguair's and currently working with a UK based paint protection manufacturing company. 3M is good for a professional body shop repair and Meguair's is good on DIY side.

please understand the difference between polishing, rubbing, compounding, buffing, glazing, waxing and TEFLON coating (paint protection).

polishing companies or dealerships in india just do the simple rubbing compounding on the car in front of the customer and show an amazing result to him to convince him to shell out big amouts.

one should do rubbing compounding and polish to their cars once a year and use a DIY wax with UV properties once a month, thats enough to protect your paint work against weather.

remember no paint protection or TEFLON will protect againsts scratches!!

though there are few PPF (paint protection films) being offered by 3M, llumar, Solar Guard etc. somes times called Clear Bra!

there is one more solution which offers a 10 year warranty for protection against scratches, its called Armorauto : Impact Headlight Savers . its better than a PPF.

TEFLON protects the paintwork against UV rays which causes it to fade and also against oxidisation.

well i can go on and on about paint care, but anyway if anyone ever wants any advise and need any solution for their paint problems, they can PM me.
But how on earth does this Teflon stick to the paint surface? To my knowledge, there is no way to just apply Teflon to a surface and make it stick! Also, I'v never heard of PTFE's alleged UV filtering abilities! I'm inclined to think that this whole Teflon coating business is a sham... just like the PTFE based oil additives.
Old 11th July 2009, 18:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
D-Man : With that said wont a true detail shop be a hit?
You know what you can be doing going forward ! There's enough premium cars being sold in the market today.
Old 11th July 2009, 21:13   #29
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You know what you can be doing going forward ! There's enough premium cars being sold in the market today.
I know but I am way far away from it. sadly computers stole me soon as i got close to graduation. But ya its one of those investment ideas i have in mind ~when i have money (sigh)

Old 11th July 2009, 21:40   #30
BHPian

Teflon coating is all bull **** !

My family owns a car body shop in Jalandhar,
and teflon is nothing but a good polish (Maguire's etc for 20 L+ cars, Formula 1 for 10 L+ cars and Good old Waxpol Silicon Household polish for cars below 10L )

The Teflon is just a false term to present some good car polish,

The Real Thing PTFE is a white solid at room temperature, According to DuPont its melting point is 327 °C (620.6 °F) !
and this treatment is nowhere available outside india

Even the so called 'Genuine' Guys provide

Teflon - one coat :- These solvent base liquid coatings are formulated with special blends of fluoropolymers & other high performance resins to improve toughness & abrasion resistance, because the film component stratify during baking, most of the fluoropolymer properties such as low friction & non stick characters are retained. The resin provide adhesion & abrasion resistance. These products can be applied to smooth clear metal.
Nothing more than a good car polish !

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 11th July 2009 at 21:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks