Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 19:16   #1
BHPian

Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?

hey Guys,
if you go for teflon coating they charge from 2000-3000 bucks depending on your car.
but a lot of confusion they called it as teflon is it some kind of coating or a brand of dupont??
I got my swift done today paid 2000 but realised wt he has done is just polishing a car after rubbing which i usually get it done for 400 bucks those local cleaners who polish dealers cars...
in this amount they dryclean seats as well
aftr little questioning guy told me that its just that polish only.
Are these company fooling by saying its a teflon coating and warranty of 6 months and bla bla..
please throw some light on this
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 27th September 2006, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its a sort of silicon based polish which is usually passed off as 'Teflon' coating.
Old 27th September 2006, 19:23   #3
BHPian

but then for the same thing why charging so high which can be done for 400 bucks and these local chaps use 3M
Old 27th September 2006, 20:19   #4
BHPian

Technically Teflon is PTFE invented by Dupont.
These days it has become a trend to offer teflon coating by the dealers.Actually Teflon isnt a cheap material AFAIK.Hence anyone offering it for around 2-3k ,is mostly duping you,i feel.

Few years back when i got it done for my car,the guy who came to do it, gave me a proper demonstration as to what chemicals he was using,what they do and all.Also he asked me not to use,wash,clean the car for 24 hrs and charged me around 5-6k.
I am not expert but that time around i found it to be pretty much genuine,cant say the same about what these dealers offer.
Old 29th September 2006, 01:01   #5
BHPian

i just met a vitesse dealer today

he explained me how most dealers cheat customers by applying polish instead of teflon. and they even guve a guarantee card with that cheap polish

this way they give stuff of Rs.400 & charge Rs.3500
Old 29th September 2006, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarDude
i just met a vitesse dealer today

he explained me how most dealers cheat customers by applying polish instead of teflon. and they even guve a guarantee card with that cheap polish

this way they give stuff of Rs.400 & charge Rs.3500
Think its 250rs for a bike; get coated thrice; second at 3months and third at 6!

( thats what Deedi Bajaj @ tvm does! )
Old 29th September 2006, 12:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

The teflon coating et all from the showroom is all bulls***, and doesnt have most of the advantages the try and make you believe it does.
This comes from a friend who owns a couple of car dealerships.

manson.
Old 29th September 2006, 17:48   #8

I got my CBZ this teflon coating for 600.. there was this guy who was standing in front of the showroom offering teflon coating... so he gave me a demonstration.. they had an imported buffing machine.. and an imported cream which more kinda look like a polish....

he did the coating in front of.. did 3 coats on my bike tank and 2 on platic.. the coating lasted for 4 months with a very rough usage.. on the box it was clearly written that its a teflon coating.. with a dupont logo..

after the coating bike was shining ....... and you can easily see another coating on it which prevents further scraches...
Old 20th June 2007, 13:16   #9
BHPian

Anybody who does Teflon coating on cars and bikes in Kolkata?
Old 9th July 2009, 14:15   #10
BHPian

Mates

Teflon is a product of Dupont which is also used for paint protection for cars. So if anyone promise you that he is doing Teflon coating, make sure he is using the Dupont material with a red seal on the container. Its a kind of pink color paste. There are other paint protections available in the market from the make like 3M. Dont know how good they are but if its Teflon it has to be from Dupont.

Regarding the Job work. I am very much sattisfied by the work which was carried out on my car, also in front of my eyes. Reliance Autozone is an authorized center for Teflon coating. I also happened to meet an executive from Dupont who was standing there and supervising the Teflon jobs done on the cars. he was very informative about paint protection.

What they did to my car ?

First they opened the bonut cover of my car to get the engine cool, otherwise with the hot bonut cover the teflon sticks on the surface quiet hard and doest spread wide as they want. After 15 mins they washed the car with Water spray and cleaned dust all over. Then the applied the soft rubbing compound (as the car is new) to clear of any dust particals that remain sticky on the body surface. It was spread and furnished by revolving rubbing pad machine.

In the next step they put on the Teflon paste all over the car and left it to dry for about 10 to 15 mins. then spread it with a special cloth.

Next they put on a paint shine polish again all over the car and gave the final shiney wet look with so called chamois leather over my car.

They car looks awesome, much much better then the time it was delivered form the showroom.

I would say its a must for all cars. Better you get it done just after you take your delivery. The whole treatment costed me Rs 2699/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The teflon coating et all from the showroom is all bulls***, and doesnt have most of the advantages the try and make you believe it does.
This comes from a friend who owns a couple of car dealerships.

manson.
I dont agree with you. and also dont blame you for this thinking as most of the people who go for a teflon coating are not going to an Authorised dupont paint protection center. They go to any accessories shop or service station who claim that they are doing teflon coating but just end up putting a wax polish or any other polish from 3M etc which shines the car for some days.

Please have a look at an Authorised center for Dupont and see how this coating is done. There is a complete process involved for this job. FYI Reliance Autozone is an authorised center for Dupont's Teflon coating for cars.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2009 at 14:36. Reason: back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:11   #11
BANNED

PTFE- PolyTetra-Fluoro-Ethylene

Invented by duPont. It is a soft very low friction material.

I see no real advantage in a coating/polish on vehicles. It will be water and dust repellent for some time and give the vehicle a high gloss, after that the abrasive environment will just remove it.

A much better and cheaper option is to use a good wax (preferably containing Carnuba Wax) once a month or so, after a proper wash. When the vehicle is waxed you will find the surface hydrophobic, i.e. water will form beads and not stick. The time to wax again is when the surface stops 'beading'.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

The local Maruti dealership is offering a choice between Telfon and Waxoil treatment. He says both pretty much same. What is waxoil treatment?
Old 9th July 2009, 15:24   #13
D-Man

@sgiitk: I agree with you totally. Carnuba wax is the best option. When I went abroad as a teen ager I worked in a garage. I was working in the detail shop which was renowned in Sydney. The teflon BS they are selling here does not serve any purpose except its a good polish. The amount the charge 3-4k against a 400 rupee polish is valid if you are going to buff a very old red car.
The process they use to buff a new car is similar to buffing an old car. Primary purpose is to remove scratches by shaving some paint off at micro level. Later use a good polish to shine it up. Technically a new car needs nothing more than a good hand wax. Buffing can actually damage paint.

Old 9th July 2009, 15:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

well guys the paint protection market is a very confused and full of chaos in india. every polishing centre and dealership is selling TEFLON coating!

its very interesting to know how every one is selling TEFLON coating. how the word TEFLON got spread all over india.

its like this>> well there was a time when all the vehicles looking like jeeps were called jeep in india, and some vehicle looking like a tempo were called tempo and so on...

similary the TEFLON coating was the first to be introduced in india and the word spread. so every one cashed on the word TEFLON.

right now at the moment Diamondbrite is most known paint protection is being offered to indian vehicle owners.

there are others in the pipeline that are being evaluated by different OEMs in india.

3M as such has no paint protection and nor does Meguiar's, they just have sealants which last for 3-6 months ONLY!

TEFLON and other genuine paint protection are made up of two stage sealants which are applied on the body paint without usage of any buffer or polishing machine.( machines are used only for rubbing and polishing)!

a new or an old car is first prepared by enhancing its paint work and when its shiny and glossy and free of dirt, contamination, swirll marks, the two stage sealants are applied on top of the paint work to seal the paint.

i have worked for both 3M & Meguair's and currently working with a UK based paint protection manufacturing company. 3M is good for a professional body shop repair and Meguair's is good on DIY side.

please understand the difference between polishing, rubbing, compounding, buffing, glazing, waxing and TEFLON coating (paint protection).

polishing companies or dealerships in india just do the simple rubbing compounding on the car in front of the customer and show an amazing result to him to convince him to shell out big amouts.

one should do rubbing compounding and polish to their cars once a year and use a DIY wax with UV properties once a month, thats enough to protect your paint work against weather.

remember no paint protection or TEFLON will protect againsts scratches!!

though there are few PPF (paint protection films) being offered by 3M, llumar, Solar Guard etc. somes times called Clear Bra!

there is one more solution which offers a 10 year warranty for protection against scratches, its called Armorauto : Impact Headlight Savers . its better than a PPF.

TEFLON protects the paintwork against UV rays which causes it to fade and also against oxidisation.

well i can go on and on about paint care, but anyway if anyone ever wants any advise and need any solution for their paint problems, they can PM me.
Parm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2009, 17:34   #15
D-Man

@parm- Very very comprehensive and coudnt agree more. I was lazy typing much that you did Hey the Clear Bra also comes in colors. I think you already know this.

Most Viewed