Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:50   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Frank, are you monitoring your AFRs closely? Petrols can't really run rich and adding 15% to the fuel table is . This is precisely why we don't get off the shelf tuning boxes for petrols - they need to be tuned very carefully to avoid a disaster.

<Silent follower>
I connect a wideband O2 sensor whenever I need to make changes. The AFR is a healthy 13.5-13.8 at all rev levels now! It was running a little lean before this. Hence the adjustment of the extra 5%
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:55   #182
BHPian

re: Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I connect a wideband O2 sensor whenever I need to make changes. The AFR is a healthy 13.5-13.8 at all rev levels now! It was running a little lean before this. Hence the adjustment of the extra 5%
Cool! That's still a bit lean, no? I'm sure you can go down to 12, at least, and avoid running too lean.
http://www.safrtool.com/SAFR-AFR-values.asp

How do you connect and disconnect a wideband at will though? Don't you need a permanent place for it?
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:57   #183
BHPian

I learnt this lesson very early on in life. Working on 2 stroke bikes one quickly finds out how important fuelling is. Slightly off and you have a engine seizure on your hands.

Many so called tuners have given me the explanation that there isn't no need to change feeling after installation of a FFE or any changes made to air flow, the stock ECU will care of it. Anytime someone gave me that explanation I say 'nice meeting you. Bye'. And I never went back. I know for fact that a very famous exhaust maker based in Mumbai says the same thing. I wonder how they even say this with a straight face.

Quote:

MORAL OF THE STORY: IF you plan to add components like performance air filters, exhausts etc, make sure you complement the mod with an ECU remap or a Piggyback ECU. The ECUs of today are high-tech, and only updating their maps will yield better results with the mods. The stock ECU may try to accommodate them but your engine will be happier if everything is running optimally.

I rest my INTAKE case. I am finally going to post photos of how it looks in my engine bay.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:58   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Cool! That's still a bit lean, no? I'm sure you can go down to 12, at least, and avoid running too lean.
http://www.safrtool.com/SAFR-AFR-values.asp

How do you connect and disconnect a wideband at will though? Don't you need a permanent place for it?
Karan Shah of KS Motorsport has a Wideband sensor that plugs into the tailpipe. So when we're making our test runs with the newer values, or dynoing the car, the probe of the o2 sensors sits clipped to the tail pipe.
Old 23rd September 2016, 22:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Karan Shah of KS Motorsport has a Wideband sensor that plugs into the tailpipe. So when we're making our test runs with the newer values, or dynoing the car, the probe of the o2 sensors sits clipped to the tail pipe.
Oh, that's the first time I'm hearing about a tailpipe wideband.

The interweb sure threw up some concerning links that say that tailpipe readings are always a bit lean as compared to the manifold readings, and also that cats can interfere with the readings.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/...pe-vs-wideband
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...you-trust.html

Perhaps you should consider biting the bullet and getting a wideband installed permanently. It'll look super cool too
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 02:29   #186
BHPian

No, no, no. Frank I was going to get a boring used Passat with very little miles. And now I'm looking at Jazzes and Amazes.
Can you give a cost break down of the whole process. It will help swing votes in my head either way, Thanks.
amitc7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 02:48   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
No, no, no. Frank I was going to get a boring used Passat with very little miles. And now I'm looking at Jazzes and Amazes.
Can you give a cost break down of the whole process. It will help swing votes in my head either way, Thanks.
40 odd k for the engine
20 odd k for labour
30 odd k for a piggyback (or remap of your current ECU if it's a Keihin)
and 10 k of change for ancillaries

Here's an incentive to 'help' you in your decision
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20160921_145607.jpg

Last edited by frankmehta : 24th September 2016 at 02:52.
frankmehta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 08:01   #188
BHPian

It looks reasonable too. I'll let my calculator work things out, this might just be a ticket to the little scooter for running to the Sunday groceries. :P
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 11:10   #189

Hello Frank! Congratulations on the successful engine swap. Great job and excellent write up!

Just wondering what wheel and tire dimensions you are running on the car?

I have a Brio as well, and am considering an engine swap too. Currently have an Automech FFE and 14 x 6j wheels with 185/60/14 Potenzas. Just trying to work out if this will suffice once engine swap is done, or if I should go up to 15 x 6.5j and put MC5 Continentals on...

Cheers,
Tj
Tarun.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 11:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Crio was featured in staytuneindia's Insta page;
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLxgRfMA...staytunedindia
Attached Images

tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 01:23   #191
Senior - BHPian

Ok,guys!
SO, the earlier GLOSS METALLIC BLACK wrap I had on my car needed replacement due to some complications arising in the wrap material, hence in a very split second decision, we decided to experiment with a newer, rarer and really radical colour, the AVERY DENNISON SATIN PEARL NERO from the Giovanna Limited Edition of colours.
The results is out there for everyone to see. This is the first car that has been re-featured on Stay Tuned India's page in the space of a month, with 2 totally different avatars.
Presenting to you, my SEXY sleeper Crio in an insane shade that feels and looks way better than any of the earlier colours she donned.

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161020_004901-copy.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161020_005113-copy.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161020_011128-copy.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161020_011601-copy.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-14711982_341594399527666_6158283284787757056_n.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 11:42   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks. Haven't updated this thread in a few weeks.
There are quite a few updates on this project.

The most notable ones are:
1. Simota High Flow Air Intake for the Honda Fit
Now, this is a very calculated and well thought out mod for this car. The intake itself is made FOR this car and when a reputed company like Simota, Japan makes that claim, you are sure to get gains out of the product. I was impressed by the quality of the components supplied and absolutely loved the fact that EVERYTHING that was needed for installation came with the product package. It is very nice to see a manufacturer can go to such limits to ensure perfect installation. I have bought it from their Indian dealer, Jayanth from Motor Manicz Parts and Accessories who is very helpful and recommend his services too. He has patiently heard me out and imported this intake for me specially from Taiwan, after talking to the parent company.
A little about the intake:
A car loves air. And fuel. Good quality of air translates to better burning of fuel. The Simota Mushroom filter at the end of this ABS plenum that has been designed specifically to create a whirlwind effect and increase air velocity as well as cool it down by a few degrees, work very well in tandem. Of note is the characteristic 'HONDA SIMOTA SCREAM' that is heard after 4400 rpm. Once, the VTEC kicks in, excreta hits the fan, all hell breaks loose and the commits harakiri. Torque steer kicks in and the car becomes such a handful to control! I love this feeling. This intake has transformed my Crio and taken it levels that are unheard of.

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-screenshot_20161115131437369_com.whatsapp_810x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-screenshot_20161115131425774_com.whatsapp_810x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-5.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161104_120256_hdr_2560x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-screenshot_20161115131306985_com.whatsapp_810x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161104_104642_810x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-6.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20161104_103727_810x1440.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-8.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-9.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2016 at 13:12. Reason: Correcting image orientation
frankmehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

2. PedalTune:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-response.html
I have this in my Polo and I couldn't have asked for a better addition to the Crio, which also has a drive-by-wire throttle and the PedalTune, in addition to sharpening throttle response, does some electronic wizardry and improves acceleration through the gears drastically. It's just really beautiful, the way PedalTune works. I have no pictures of it installed in my Crio, but this is how it looks in the Polo
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-1.jpg

The PedalTune has totally changed my mind about how Drive By Wire Throttle works, and I only have good things to say about it. The Polo responds very well to the PedalTune but if you really want to see it's true colours, you need to drive my Crio with it on and off. It's a difference that is not only perceptible to the driver, but even the passengers feel the difference!
Slot it into first gear, build revs to 4000, dump the clutch, shift to second at 6500 rpms at 50 kmph, feel the insane torque steer through the steering wheel, shift to third at 90 kmph, again at 6500 rpms and touch the top speed in third gear at 4500 rpm.
All of this in 9.5 seconds! YES, she touched a 100 in less than 9.5 seconds!
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-2.jpg

My Crio is limited to 145 kmph and it feels like the car, if delimited, can easily touch 200 kmph. I will never delimit the car, until I beef up the suspension and brakes to take that kind of speed.
But the thrill of doing this with PedalTune is addictive and makes the car feel much faster than in stock mode.

I love it!

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2016 at 12:44. Reason: Correcting image orientation
frankmehta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:19   #194
Senior - BHPian

3. BBK Varitune Exhaust
The Crio had the Borla Spitfire before this, and had the cat and resonator both intact. Basically, it was just running with a trick muffler. The reason for this is that this is my wife's car and I really didn't want it to be too loud.
This didn't really affect me until a masterstroke struck me. The Polo was running with a non-resonated BBK Varitune setup.
Why not exchange mufflers, and have the BBK Varitune adjustable muffler in the Honda, so I can go decat and not be loud at the same time!?
The Polo is anyway supposed to sound MAD with the Borla and this made me take the decision even quicker.
Went to B.A.R. Exhaust, and got the Borla removed from the Crio.
Drove back home with a DECAT and NO MUFFLER (but with a resonator)
I sounded like I was sitting in a weapon of mass destruction and the din I created at 60 kmph was more hilarious than anything else. People turned around, trying to look for a sports car making all the noise, and didn't expect a 'harmless' Honda Brio. Full Anti-Climax!
Anyway, the day after that, I got the Borla fitted in the Polo and the Crio got the BBK.
The advantage is that there is a VALVE in the BBK that helps to adjust the volume of the exhaust note, hence not making a din in the process, and giving substantial gains of deleting the cat-con. Have not made a video or audio clip of any of the cars, but the exchange was worth the effort of doing the swap.

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161118_175238_1920x1440_1920x1440.jpg
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-1.jpg

How the Borla looks in the Polo
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161118_175223_1920x1440_1920x1440.jpg
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 30th November 2016, 12:42   #195
Senior - BHPian

Oil and Spark Plugs:

I have decided to switch to FULLY synthetic oil and my friend who is a tuner in Hong Kong has been going gaga over Wuerth Products. I have visited their experience centre in Navi Mumbai and I am impressed with their quality and business model. They work like 3M, having a lot of products in their repertoire and I am excited to try them all, as and when I need them.

I decided to buy their Fully Synthetic oil, and the rest, as they say, is history. I cannot believe how smooth, free revving and insanely responsive my engine has become. Remember, that in i-vtec engines, ignition timing and VTEC engagement as a result of change in oil pressure as the revs build up, hence you need to get the oil right in your engines, if you want these 2 most integral functions to click rightly for you.
I whole heartedly recommend this oil to everyone and hope for you all to try it in your cars. It's an experience at another level.
Remember to flush your engine off the old oil with something like ABRO (Wuerth was not available), that I used and the results are great when you change oil grades and brands.

Spark Plugs:

THE SPARK MAKETH THE ENGINE (RUN)
-Frank Mehta

Jokes apart, the spark plugs in an engine are the most ignored, when it comes to higher performance engines, and even though spark plug technology has improved by leaps and bounds, it's always better to change your plugs earlier than that mentioned by the manufacturer if you wish to push your engine to it's limits frequently. A weak spark, or a poor spark can lead to engine detonation which can be catastrophic at high rpms.

I decided to order the E3.56 Spark Plugs that come with a proprietary Diamond Multi electrode design that is supposed to give bigger gains than the regular iridium spark plugs.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-e3.561.jpg

Read about them here.
http://e3sparkplugs.com/spark-plug-technology

I have ordered these and expect them here before Christmas. More on these after they are installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161103_171707_1920x1440.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161103_171717_1920x1440.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161103_171730_1920x1440.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20161110_160555_1920x1440.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks