Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 11:36   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread frank,
Bit the bullet
As suggested by you,contacted Jayant from motor manics, bought the Simota Urethane filter bolt for civic
Absolute clean dealing,didn try and oversell anything, and suggested the right filter according to my usage
Took me literally 20minutes to install it
And what a pleasure to drive it was
Car isn stalling even at second gear from speeds of 7-10kmph, and the grunt is heard after 3k rpm which makes it perfect when there is family aboard the car
Happy customer Attachment 1604504Attachment 1604505
Disclaimer: No personal interest to promote the dealer
But dealer and product,both were top notch!
Sorry for the late reply. I have started worshipping Simota for the filters they make! Love them!
Old 17th October 2019, 11:10   #212
BHPian

Honda Jazz- How to upgrade the Engine?

I have a 7 year old Honda Jazz (1200 cc) and is doing just perfect. I have been thinking about putting in a bigger engine and tried to search for relevant information, but it has been a dead end.

Can someone guide me to the correct thread or the relevant guys in Bombay from where I can get some help please?
Animesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 11:37   #213
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Jazz- How to upgrade the Engine?

This thread should give you a good idea about what it'll take. Your case might be simple considering Jazz and City are related.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4441462 (Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited)
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Re: Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This thread should give you a good idea about what it'll take. Your case might be simple considering Jazz and City are related.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4441462 (Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited)
In fact, it's easier in the Jazz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I have a 7 year old Honda Jazz (1200 cc) and is doing just perfect. I have been thinking about putting in a bigger engine and tried to search for relevant information, but it has been a dead end.

Can someone guide me to the correct thread or the relevant guys in Bombay from where I can get some help please?
Great idea to infuse life into an older car. You can experiment more and make it even more fun!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:15   #215
BHPian

Re: Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited

Thank you libranof1987 for guiding me to this thread. What a spectacular thread this one is. I read through every word and was getting goosebumps reading about the journey from Brio to Crio.

frankmehta you did a genius of a job along with everyone who helped you accomplish this. And I must compliment you not just on your new child, but also on the words that you used. The passion was so easy to see through your descriptions of project.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 00:51   #216
BHPian

Hi, I have used a manual brio few years back and how I wish I could have done this to her then. However now I'm using a brio automatic. Works well for my line of work which happens to be similar to yours. A consultant dentist, so brio AT is relaible, cart sized and butter smooth making my daily commute conveinient. However since I'm more used to diesel torque, I always urge brio had more torque at low revs . Especially in case of my AT version now I wished it doesn't downshift to 1st gear everytime she needs to go under 15kmph. It annoys me a lot along with the fact the FE I get is terrible. To say the least I pay 10-11 RS per km for my commute in her. Two things are on my mind. 1. Get a ecu remap to brio 2. Or find a diesel auto vw.
Can you throw any light on remapping my brio ? Will it help with my requirements ?
Engine swap would be too much to deal with for me as of now.
littlebrother is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 05:52   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
Can you throw any light on remapping my brio ? Will it help with my requirements ?
Engine swap would be too much to deal with for me as of now.
Remapping a non-turbo NA 1.2 L Petrol isn’t recommended as the results would be negligible. Also FE will take a hit.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 00:08   #218
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger injectors!

Reviving this thread after a while....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not a fan of engine swaps in India. For every 1 positive story I hear, there are 25 bad ones. The reliability & quality is just not there. I'd agree with 2000rpm that it's better to upgrade to a more powerful car. Factory horses are factory horses . Factory fit is factory fit .

@ Arka: Would strongly recommend this thread, read it post by post - Brio with 1.5L engine swap.
You probably meant in broader sense at engine level, but we have learnt in many cases where factory fit required DIY improvement, most recent example being Thar leaking roof and the other guy who has his 520d engine torn apart with nowhere to go in other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Attachment 1535343
@GTO already had naughty thoughts in his mind when he reviewed the Mobilio.

AEROHIT's post in my Initial Ownership Thread and this statement by GTO sparked the insect in me to swap engines!
That was back in 2015 i think.

By no means I am an expert. I had been following vtec portals since late 90s, and when Honda released 1.2 Brio/Jazz here along with 1.5 engines, without even doing any research, I knew swap was inevitable. Many curious and inquisitive folks who spent life time outside in markets dominated with Japanese cars have this thing in their head - "the mod culture". Because of this reason I hardly get excited over other brands entering local market, be it VAG or Kia. Point is simple - as an individual I like to tinker with things that I grew up with, and these Jap cars is what I grew up with which gives me sense of satisfaction.

I couldnt do this swap years earlier because I could not find the engine in the first place, neither had urgency to do it. Finally, during lockdown, sometime in June 2020 I had some free time, I found a seller online, with a new engine from BR-V with 6MT and a good price.

Few bugs had to be resolved - sensor swaps, starter issues, lean codes, and lastly, a DIY valve adjust (i always do valve adjust myself, no matter how competent the shop, as it requires patience that a shop may not have). Of course, if i were to do this swap again on a Brio or Jazz, it will be easy and matter of few hours due to lessons learnt (not that easy, but easy, there are few nitty-gritty one has to be aware of)

Old engine: L12B (35000 km)
New engine: L15Z1 (About 1000 km)
Car Weight: 900 kg
Transmission: Existing 5MT (6MT not yet swapped)
Swap time: Done in record 1 day
ECU: Bosch
Total expense: Less than 1 lakh
Priceless: Sense of satisfaction and smile on your face

No one can tell there was swap done on this car. There is no vibration, no issues with fit/finish, and no reliability issue. In fact, i vaguely remember swap was one of the reason I bought Brio in the first place back in Dec 2015 -- LINK (Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10)

For me, the whole point of this swap was to improve driveability, not to race. However, when required, I can keep up or pass most vehicles with ease - just stay in powerband. Its not a monster by any means and that is a good thing. Fyi: Ladies and Boys in Thailand are able to pull 0-100 in less than 8 seconds without Turbo. In the city, I now often just 'coast' in 3rd gear most of the time as it doesnt lug as it use to. Similarly, on highway, since the rms are already high, it is easy to jump from 60 to 80 or 80 to 100.

Will keep this car for as long as possible, even if I buy another larger vehicle. To me this is like a little 2 door coupe now, efficient and simple engineering, easy to work on, and as I mentioned above - I understand Japs/Honda better compared to other brands.

Even though Brio is discontinued, spare parts are easy to procure, further, discontinuation makes this car more unique than it already was.

Next step
- Figuring out a way to install 6MT sometime in future. Before that I need to understand if ratios of petrol BRV are worth swapping.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-engine.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-swap.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-swap2.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-mt.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-brio1.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 13th December 2020 at 00:35.
aerohit is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:28   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have ordered the Bilstein B14 from the UK.
I expect delivery after Christmas. Sometime around next week.

Attachment 1588117
Hi Frank,
Did you get around to installing these b14 shocks?
Quite weird that the seller in UK told me it does not work, i believe it was a chap called Ross.

If you have installed it, how does the car handle on bad roads of mumbai?
Appreciate this.
Old 4th November 2021, 23:52   #220
BHPian

Final Update on 1.5 Brio:

ECU Tuning was pending. Project was delayed this year due to myself getting C-Virus. Another reason for delay was decision to swap Bosch ecu with Keihin. This is because this specific Bosch ecu that comes in some of the Hondas do not have parameters defined yet by anyone. The ecu swap and tuning discussion is complicated and out of scope here.

Finally, in October when the ecu was swapped and the car was tuned...

Car was tuned in Delhi at no other than trusty GT Tunerz. This place is a temple for automotive enthusiasts! They probably have best dyno equipment in the country. All the work is done with precision using sophisticated tools.

Final result is 133BHP / Tonne (based on 900 kg weight, no mods, original power was in double digits). I have been ripping this car and is super fun to drive now!

As a tinkerer and diy techie, I will continue to experiment and tweak this setup for fun and learn more from experience on other Japanese cars in future. The Brio engine swap finally comes an end.

(the blue car belongs to other friends)
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20211007_174419.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20210807_130508b.jpg  

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img_20211007_202739a.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 5th November 2021 at 00:18.
aerohit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 00:22   #221
BHPian

The above blue 1.5 Brio in action, pretty good for a small car

The above blue 1.5 Brio in action in Noida, India

Last edited by aerohit : 5th November 2021 at 00:48.
aerohit is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed