Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 12:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio: 1.5L Engine Swap (L15A / L15A7)

I own a 2014 Brio and was in the same dilemma as to how to boost up the power. First thought was of going the turbo way, and then got interested in the supercharging options available. As you mentioned Honda's are famous in Thailand and lot of people back there have supercharged their Brio's, but unluckily I could never get all the parts sourced required for the build. The thought of an engine swap never came to my mind and I am really interested in seeing the end result.

All the best with your project
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 13:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Mostly a grey market import.

Thanks. I am very excited to start. I can't wait!
Well.. That really escalated quickly. From 6 year old City engines to a 2 year old JDM one...

What engine is this? How much did you pay for it? Whats the donor car?
speedmunster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 14:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

You are doing what Honda should have done for the Brio . Gluing to this thread and can't wait for the updates. Whom are you entrusting the job to be done? Any performance mods planned?
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:48   #49
BHPian

What about the ECU. Will the brio stock ECU fit to the city one. You might need wider rubber for the new found power. And bigger brakes. You know, with great power comes great responsibility. I think you should get some good alloys when you are at it.

And what are you going to do with the old engine. This makes me think of only one thing. Use the old engine, stock tyres and a custom made roll cage to make your own go-kart/buggy/whatever you like to call it.

Only if I had all the money in the world to have my own private estate to play with it.
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 23:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Well.. That really escalated quickly. From 6 year old City engines to a 2 year old JDM one...

What engine is this? How much did you pay for it? Whats the donor car?
This is an L15A 1500 cc Honda Engine.
It is the EXACT same engine that comes on the Honda City.
The donor car is unknown, but the serial no. says that the car could be manufactured anytime between 2015 and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You are doing what Honda should have done for the Brio . Gluing to this thread and can't wait for the updates. Whom are you entrusting the job to be done? Any performance mods planned?
Performance mods for a Gasoline engine are limited. I already have an Automech Exhaust. I also have a K&N replacement filter.

One thing that really intrigued me was the following:

My stock intake design looks like this
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20160714_163102.jpg

It also has a flap in the bonnet that directs air into the intake.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-hondabrio02.jpg

According to me, this is a very crude way of sending copious amounts of cool air into the engine.

The original adage that says, "What ain't broke, don't fix it!" And Honda did just that. They FIXED It! The NEW design of the stock OE Honda City, Mobilio and the BR-V, that share the same engine, just prove that Honda didn't find something right in the way air was being fed into the engine. The new intake design looks so convincing. The best part about it is that it's a PLUMBED COLD air intake designed FOR this engine.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20160716_182723-copy.jpg
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-20160716_182818-copy.jpg

If a company thinks that it's the best way to get air into it's engine, we stand by it. There is no need to go and experiment with anything else. Hence I am on the lookout for an airbox and intake unit from Honda and have put in a request for it through a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
What about the ECU. Will the brio stock ECU fit to the city one. .

That question can only be answered once the engine is in the bay and we crank the car on the current ECU. If the car runs on it, then the next challenge is to get the ECU remapped to run a 1.5 l engine map.
This seemed like it would be manageable but the pictures of my actual ECU have actually thrown things into a conundrum. A Keihin ECU is easy to map, apparently. And most Hondas these days are coming with the Keihin.
But my car has a MOTRONIC (a Bosch subsidiary) ECU and only time will tell if the car cranks on this ECU and if it does crank, then it's only half the battle won.

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160718wa0042.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160718wa0043.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160718wa0044.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160718wa0045.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160718wa0046.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160719wa0033.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160719wa0034.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160719wa0036.jpg

Tomorrow's plan:
The car will go up on the Dyno and we shall measure what the current L12B engine makes. I am actually quite keen on saying HOW off Honda is, from that promised 89 bhp and 110 nm. Also, I do have a 'performance' exhaust and It will be entertaining to see how many Bee ech pees I may have lost or gained after adding the same.
Tomorrow is going to be a day of enlightenment!

Also, tomorrow the L12B engine comes off the car.

More updates tomorrow!

Last edited by frankmehta : 19th July 2016 at 23:26.
frankmehta is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 09:25   #51
BHPian

Well, this thread is literally a "dream come true" for me, Frankmehta Awaiting updates!

Quote:
This is an L15A 1500 cc Honda Engine.
It is the EXACT same engine that comes on the Honda City.
The donor car is unknown, but the serial no. says that the car could be manufactured anytime between 2015 and now.
Are you sure about the manufacturing date? My 2015 Honda City has the L15Z Engine series. How can an L15A make it to a car that has been manufactured in 2015?
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 09:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Well, this thread is literally a "dream come true" for me, Frankmehta Awaiting updates!

Are you sure about the manufacturing date? My 2015 Honda City has the L15Z Engine series. How can an L15A make it to a car that has been manufactured in 2015?
The l15z1 series is the same engine with a few changes.
The l15z1 was introduced last year, replacing the l15a series. So it's likely that this is among the last batch of engines of this nomenclature.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Since the car is not too expensive to begin with, i wouldnt worry too much about the RC issue - just keep it a secret, duh. Lastly, I think people buy Brio / Jazz etc..not because they ran out of options or ran out of money, but because they like those cars..its about passion.
Beg to differ here.

If this modded car is going to be used on public roads, it absolutely needs to have the entry made in RC.
Its not as trivial as "who will check the engine even in case of a traffic violation".
Apart from the legality aspect, Insurance claim will get rejected (if the surveyors find out, which he/she will).
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 12:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Beg to differ here.

If this modded car is going to be used on public roads, it absolutely needs to have the entry made in RC.
Its not as trivial as "who will check the engine even in case of a traffic violation".
Apart from the legality aspect, Insurance claim will get rejected (if the surveyors find out, which he/she will).
I agree, how about just the third party insurance after the swap is successful because insurance claims are always difficult on modified cars.

Warranties are out in any case.

Also just for personal information - will Honda carry out regular service to this car after modification?

Cheers
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 13:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrow is going to be a day of enlightenment!
Have been pressing F5 on this thread page like anything. Updates please, Frank!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

This just in. I am shocked at the Dyno results

These are the Honda specifications:
Specifications:
Max Power KW[PS] @ rpm 65[88] @ 6000
Max Torque (Nm @ rpm) 109 @ 4500

And this is my graph.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-frank.jpg

The power figures are right up there, but I think the 'performance' exhaust is responsible for lower torque figures.

This is a lesson for everyone including me, who thinks that eliminating the catalytic converter and putting out a straight pipe in it's place will increase performance. Engines these days are engineered to very tight tolerances, and backpressure from catcons and air intakes etc are designed in tandem to deliver performance together. Mess around with one, and the whole thing is thrown into pandemonium.
Which the graph above demonstrates!

UPDATE on the Swap:

Engine swap has started. Old engine will be down today and new engine install will start from tomorrow onwards..
frankmehta is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This just in. I am shocked at the Dyno results
An eye opener indeed. Torque, even while being served at higher RPMs, plays a good role in vehicle performance. One thing the sports/performance exhaust (especially badly designed ones) does is to give you placebo effect of going faster due to its sound effect! A Dyno is the only way to confirm the actual results of the modification and I am glad you shared this with us.

Quote:
Engine swap has started. Old engine will be down today and new engine install will start from tomorrow onwards..
Good luck with your build and keep us posted with more updates, Frank!
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 16:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160720wa0022.jpg

And the 1.2 engine is OUT.

Some complications with the ecu but i will reserve my comments till the new engine starts up on the current ecu and a dyno test will throw up the results.
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Have been pressing F5 on this thread page like anything. Updates please, Frank!
You bet bro.

Frank - Great project indeed. My project plan was something simillar, but on a hold now :(
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 18:01   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Frank how about the engine mounts for the new engine? Are they similar or the location has to be changed? Seeing your project I am not interested in my cousins Brio which he might sell some time. Personally I am of the opinion that if this is going to be a straight swap without structural changes, it will be an excellent sleeper.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks