Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 12:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio: 1.5L Engine Swap (L15A / L15A7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I don't know a way to upload a City Map on to this Motronics ECU. It's not within anyone's domain.
I think the sensors will be different between the two engines. Hence, their behaviour will be different and they deliver something to the ECU which is not expected by the ECU. Hence, it is throwing up errors.

Just to be on the safer side, I have a vague idea that the polarities are reversed for the sensor. If not, there would be a short somewhere. Why dont you try using the L12s sensors on the L15? I think that should solve some of the errors you are facing. And also, not sure if this was already taken care of, the injectors too should have been connected in the same order to avoid any sequencing issue.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
The wiring harness is different. I was just doing the math.
A used ECU with a wiring harness will cost around 20k.
What are the exact differences between the harnesses?

Quote:
Immobilizer will have to be programmed to accommodate the new ECU.
Or you could get the key transponder from the same car the ECU is from and swap it into your car. If you are paying 20K for the ECU and harness, you should be able to demand the key transponder for no additional cost. Or else, there are plenty of people who reprogram ECU immobilizers.

Quote:
And then, a tuner will have to be paid to tune the ECU (maybe 30k)
Why? It's a stock L15 ECU running a stock L15 engine. Why do you need to touch the maps?
yzfrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Men, women, boys and girls.
Every individual who does something as daring as an engine swap on a modern car goes through a lot of issues and ups and downs.
He or she wakes up hoping that the car starts that day, dreams about it starting up through the day and if it doesn't, then sleeps, hoping the next day is a better day.

Every moment passes like a decade, hoping to hear that beautiful sound of fuel igniting in the cylinders and being thrown out through the exhaust. The buzzy sound of tappets, going, "chaka chaka chaka chaka," in the most rhythmic manner possible. A healthy idle, and a sweet exhaust note. That, my friends, is the essence of life for someone in the middle of an engine swap.
Every single time our cell-phone rings, we hope it's a call from our tuner (or 'tooner,' whoever bakes your cake) saying, "Bro, she's alive!"

Today.

YES, today. The Honda Brio that I sent to KS Motorsport http://www.ksmotorsport.co.in grew up and became something else!

PRESENTING TO YOU,
My HONDA CRIO™!!!!!!!!! (Brio with a City Engine)

Yes, SHE'S UP AND RUNNING! My baby is HOME!!!!!!!!!

The sweet telephone call came today at 11 am. Karan Shah called me and said she's purring like a cat. Air-fuel ratio is also good enough. SUCH is the similarity between the two engines. I am shocked at how well things turned out, save for a hiccup in the middle!

NO mechanical changes. NO modifications to the ECU. Hence SAME 1.2 MAP. The ECU is adjusting to the 1.5 engine like NOTHING has happened (well, almost! More on that almost, later!)

1.2 litre engine wiring harness and sensors, ignition coils, alternator and starter. Basically, almost all the hardware on my almost brand-new engine is going back into this new engine!

Picked up my baby at 945 PM. Drove from Navi Mumbai to Mumbai with trembling hands and a smile on my face.

Have driven 5 km. after picking her up, but OH MAN! SHE's transformed! Power through the gears. INITIAL Lag in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears is officially history. Since the engine is new, I am babying it a little, but I can feel the extra power through the clutch and the wheels. The engine has loads of power, and there's no doubt about it.

I am uploading the old and new dyno again. Sorry for the poor image quality.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160727wa0022.jpg

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160727wa0023.jpg

I am developing 108 bhp at the WHEELS! That's 20 bhp more with the EXACT same ECU and everything else, as the 1.2 l engine. Just imagine what will happen once I get the ECU calibrated to optimally run this engine!

The swap is 95% done!

A few faults still exist but most of them are attributed to the ECU map!
1. The car requires throttle input while starting up. I am guessing it's due to the difference in fueling quantities that are required for a 1.2 and 1.5 litre engine. The ECU has preset values for this, hence needs some more fuel to start.

2. A CEL (Check-Engine light) that shows a Camshaft Sensor Position error message on the OBD.
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160727wa0035.jpg
It doesn't get erased with the OBD scanner software, and it's something that may require a little playing around with. Nothing major. Maybe sensor incompatible with current Cam reluctor. The HALL EFFECT sensor is very sensitive, and requires the EXACT same reluctor ring as the one it was paired with. The CAM reluctor needs to be exchanged with my 1.2 engine, just like the CRANK reluctor required a switch to get my engine to crank *that was the missing link*

3. A slight vibration through the pedals while idling, because she's supposed to idle @ 900 rpm and right now, again, due to running lean, she's idling at 730. But the RPM is very constant and doesn't fluctuate. Again, ECU calibration needed.

I will sleep, a relaxed man! Good night, folks! Signing off!

Actually, wait! Who's going to get sleep! The fun has just begun!

Need opinions! Piggyback or Standalone ECU!? Or just get a used ECU of my type and modify it!?

Last edited by frankmehta : 28th July 2016 at 00:27.
frankmehta is offline   (123) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:30   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My HONDA CRIO™!!!!!!!!! (Brio with a City Engine)

I am developing 108 bhp at the WHEELS!
Let me be the first to congratulate you. When your post came at this ungodly hour, I was hoping its a good news and bingo...

Like it was mentioned earlier, the figure seems a bit on the higher side on that dyno. Doubt even the City would be making 108 at the wheels. But that said, thats a solid 20 bhp more than before alight!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:37   #95
BHPian

Congratulations frank! This is just like a dream come true.
In case you are running on the brio tyres, an upsize is definitely on the cards 😜
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:46   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Frank!! I am impressed with the overall time period. That was quick . I have seen few cars taking months for engine swap/hardware mods.

16 th July : Engine found for swap

20 th July : Engine swap initiated

27 th July : Drove back home with new engine

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 28th July 2016 at 00:51.
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:46   #97
BHPian

Congratulations !! It must be so so satisfying to complete the swap and get your Crio home
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 01:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

Congrats frankmehta!
That was one awesome swap. I suggest you stick to a standalone ECU. Any plans of working on the suspension?
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 01:33   #99
BHPian

re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger injectors!

Wow It's legendary. It's literally purring. Heartiest congratulations and do share when the cam shaft error is rectified. It's 0130hrs in night and I have this strange smile on my face. I think it's not just your accomplishment but a great moment for the whole community.
dinesh6481 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 01:54   #100
BHPian

re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger injectors!

That is so awesome! I'm pretty sure that we'll soon see more swaps happening after people are inspired by you. Try and see if you can get the process patented
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 07:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Damn the 1.2 regulation

Glad that you went through the project and in lightening speed.
Do post more on the driving experience as you put in more miles.

I only wish manufactures gave us the option of the engine size what the car was actually meant to be sold with instead of the 1.2 alone.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2016 at 15:39. Reason: No inappropriate language please, not even indirectly (b@$$s)
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Frank...

Now that is what I call turn around time, awesome work by KS Motorsports. While I had some apprehensions in my mind about the engine swap, I am really glad to read it was a much easier one in reality. This is coming up as a very good build and I can't wait for the dyno results once the engine is mated to proper ECU.

BTW, my vote goes for a Standalone ECU as well.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:00   #103
CGB
BHPian

Frank, frankly speaking- Its a awesome mod. Congrats to you Please do post the updates you do to car. City engine with stock map makes 118PS, with the light kerb weight of brio, she is definitely a sleeper.

I vote for standalone ECU as it would be flexible in tuning it to your needs.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:06   #104
BHPian

My heartiest congrats to you. I admire your hard work and effort. I'm so glad that it became successful. It always feels like you got a new baby and named her crio. Thanks a lot for sharing this on this forum and motivating other young enthusiasts. Hope you enjoy your drive. And What was your wife's reaction when she got to know her ride started?
just_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:16   #105
BHPian

Nice idea and superb execution. Hope you sort out the minor errors too with the same pace of the swap and get it factory perfect. The scrappers to the tuners are going to make a business on the 1.5 engine for the brio, if the swap is this straightforward.(brity sounds better than crio)

Last edited by crdi : 28th July 2016 at 13:19. Reason: Adding a few words more
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks