Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2004, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Hi, I just wanted to find out if there are some good shops which do the converstion, or do you think it is better to get it done from say US or any other country from where you are importing it?

Or are the manufacturers willing to do the switch??

How difficult is the switch and what all is done when they switch..

Will it be possible to develop cars which will be modular enough to allow a change from RHD to LHD and visa versa without much work(like redesigning the dash, moving the steering rod etc)?? would drive by wire fascilitate this since DBW does not require a steering rod??

Thanks for the input..
Old 6th March 2004, 12:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

There's already a prototype that can change side without fuss. You'll need to have drive by wire for that. No mechanical links, just electronics.

But this car has the acc and brake controls on the steering wheel, you don't wanna drive that , noe do you?

Can anyone post a pic of this car coz i forgot the name of it

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 6th March 2004, 13:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan2nu,

i know what ur talking abt. It had two metal pipes going along the dashboard and the steering wheel could slide to either side along those rails right?... was pretty cool, but like you, i am no fan of drive by wire.

C4S, i think a large amount on how doable the LHD>RHD conversion is is dependant on what car it is. Nowadays components under the hood are packed so tight that making a modification like this may not be easily possible without compromise. (eg. the BMW 5series has a rack and pinion steering system, which is better than recirculating ball since it provides better feedback etc etc....BUT the 540i has recirculating ball, and i dont think it is for any reason other that the fact that there was not enough room under the hood to squeeze a rack'n'pinion in next to the big V8.)

Also modifications to the firewall etc have to be made, routing of the accl, brake, clutch etc etc.....passenger airbag blah blah,....in my opinion it would be a large job which would not be worth it unless done really well and if its technically possible without any drawbacks (ie under the hood)

cheers
Old 6th March 2004, 13:23   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that was the GM HyWire.

Old 6th March 2004, 13:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Yeah thats one of those types..... but i think what i saw was a different one. With a more traditional dashboard and steering wheel, not sure though!
anyway
cya
Old 6th March 2004, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

ya this was the one i was talkihn about!!!

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 6th March 2004, 14:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its a very serious modification to convert a LHD to RHD, and vice versa. I dont suggest doing that. Either look for a RHD version, or opt for another make/model which is available in a config acceptable to India.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks