Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:59   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I always fill fuel once the reserve light comes up. S-Cross has around 8 litres fuel left as reserve.
Don't ever think of doing it again. Diesel engines don't like low fuel quantities.

The fuel pump gets its lubrication, heat dissipation etc all, from the fuel itself so having extreme low levels of fuel would kill the fuel pump sooner and it is a pain to remove air pick in-case it happens.

In my Swift, I refuel when the needle is at 1/4th level.

Only once in the 1 lakh kms I have gone to the point where low fuel warning comes which is only to know when the light comes up. This was when car was new. Never ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Hence it is always advisable not to let the car run till the low fuel indicator lights up.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2018 at 20:01. Reason: Typo
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:10   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Don't ever think of doing it again. Diesel engines don't like low fuel quantities.
Yes, I do understand that it's bad for the fuel pump. But what I am saying is S-Cross has around 20 percent fuel left even when the reserve light pops up. It's not like I wait for the reserve light and fill fuel. What I meant is I always fuel immediately when the reserve light comes up and do not run more with low fuel

Also the reserve light in S-Cross comes up, even when there are 2 bars of fuel left.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 2nd January 2017 at 18:13.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:51   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

What's Next?

1. Try to crack the protocol for 1.6 S-Cross : TOT needs to work on my ECU along with Alientech to develop the protocol. Alientech is the most reputed tuning tool manufacturer in the world. But, they do not have protocol for 1.6 S-Cross in India. CMD is their competitor and their protocol works for S-Cross. But Alientech can do more number of cars and best support, just unlucky in the case of S-Cross.

2. Decat Downpipe : This would reduce the back pressure and help the turbo spool faster. No bolt on downpipe is available for my car. We need to fabricate a custom downpipe.

3. Stage 1 plus remap : If the protocol is ready, we can do the testing with ease. So, TOT could be able to tailor a good stage 1 plus remap for me.

4. Tyres : I am planning to upgrade to better quality rubber in same size as stock. I am impressed with Falken 205/60 R16 tyres on SX4. I am also considering Continental and Michelin.

5. Dyno at Red Rooster : RRP dyno is a hub dyno and one of the best in India. Figures are more reliable on this dyno.
Old 24th January 2017, 19:01   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Had good fun today

I met fellow BHPian KiloAlpha today. He had got his stock 1.6 S-Cross. I wanted to compare my remapped car with stock. We both headed out to a closed road to do all the testing. This is a 2 KM empty stretch.

We swapped the cars and drove. I could immediately make out the difference. It felt like I was driving a detuned S-Cross. But, he has upgraded his tyres to Continental and that was making a huge difference. Braking, stability and comfort were miles ahead compared to my stock JK Elanzo tyres.

Now coming to the power comparo, we did a rolling start in 2 nd gear and tried to hit the top speed on same stretch.

Till 2000 RPM : Not much difference, we are neck to neck

2000-3000 RPM : I was just racing ahead

Above 3000 RPM : Distance between 2 cars kept increasing in no time

I was around 3 cars length ahead and hit 20 KMPH more top speed

Conclusion: Remap was making huge difference above 3000 RPM because in stock car, the torque would taper off steeply here. But in my remapped car, peak Torque is held for longer. Also the throttle response is much more sharper post remap.

KiloAlpha's S-Cross is also 2016 manufacturered and I dint find the turbo lag irritating like on TD cars. It looks like Maruti has really tweaked the map.

Who said S-Cross doesn't look good?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20170124wa0023.jpg  

Dr.Naren is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had good fun today

I met fellow BHPian KiloAlpha today. He had got his stock 1.6 S-Cross. I wanted to compare my remapped car with stock. We both headed out to a closed road to do all the testing. This is a 2 KM empty stretch.

I had good fun testing out the two cars. So, let me complete the story for you, shall I?

Dr.Naren's car is shod with stock JK Elanzo NXT tyres, has done 12.5K kms and recently serviced.
My car is shod with Continental MC5 tyres, has done 9.5K kms and is due for service.

Dr.Naren and I met up at the E-City entrance of NICE road (which is an expressway with a posted 120kmph speed limit). Once toll was paid, we swapped cars. I drove his remapped car. Dr.Naren drove my stock car.
Since it was the middle of the afternoon, traffic was thin, but not so thin that we could not compare how the cars behaved in the cut and thrust of weaving through slow moving trucks. I am taking about trucks doing anywhere between 20 and 80 kmph, and frequently indulging in "who is slower" contests hogging all lanes.

We drove 20 kms on this expressway till the junction with the so-called "link" road. A section of the link road is closed off to the public and leads nowhere, but is available for us speed junkies.
I was unable to, despite my best efforts, shake Dr.Naren off my tail for these 20 kilometres. It was a matter of pure luck that I could nail a gap and get ahead initially. But after that, in gear acceleration was on par for both cars up until the legal speed limit. There was a marginal difference in how the car "feels" when you accelerate, the whole pinned-back-in-the-seat feeling is dulled above 2000rpm in the remapped car. However, objectively, acceleration is as good as stock and, as Dr.Naren pointed out, starts getting better in his remap (but only when you go well above legal speed limit - so unless you get a track or closed off section of road - DON'T DO WHAT WE DID!)
If I could cut through a gap that was closing, so could Dr.Naren.
Once, I drove like a cabbie. I had to slow to 60kmph due to traffic, and I left the car in 6th. Floored the throttle, and the remapped car felt quite dead until I crossed 1800rpm. Then, I felt the surge. Not the case in the stock car, which seems to pick up easier from near-idle revs and the surge starts building from 1500rpm onwards.

Once on the closed off 2km stretch of link road, we did what is effectively drag races, from both standing and rolling starts. This is where the remap makes a difference.

So, while I would agree with Dr.Naren's assessment of "makes a difference above 3000rpm", I wouldn't bother remapping my car if it did not make a difference in the real world driving conditions.
It doesn't.
A better driver in my stock car will be faster than an average driver in the remapped car if driving on public roads and driving safely.

p.s. -> We shared the link road with a Yamaha R1, riding the superbike the way it was meant to. What a glorious sound

Footnote on tyres:
The nervousness of the remapped car due to stock JK tyres surprised me. Once you cross 80kmph, you need nerves of steel to floor the accelerator. And if you need to emergency brake, you better be wearing a diaper and carrying a spare pair of trousers!
KiloAlpha is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:36   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

@KiloAlpha: Thanks for the feedback

As I said on the first page of this thread, Remap is not a need for this car. It's a pure want. Any remap makes significant difference in turbo zone and also at top end. I have 3 cars remapped cars. But when my dad drives, he would say "No significant difference" because he never goes above 2500 RPM.

As you said going from Point A to Point B on Indian roads, stock vs remap wouldn't make any big difference ( in terms of timing). Also, TOT tailors different maps based on customer preference. I wanted a map which would give me good gains in 0-100 / quarter mile timing etc and the same was done by TOT. I am happy that did prove the results when we tested the cars on closed road .

Not to forget about tyres, driving your car was like an eye opener for me. Your car would mask the speeds pretty well and brakes were good. I need to upgrade to better rubber soon.

Hoping to catch you and other 1.6 S-Cross BHPians soon for another drive. I will try to get V Box next time.

Cheers!!
Old 30th January 2017, 14:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

I had good fun testing out the two cars.
Quote:

Hoping to catch you and other 1.6 S-Cross BHPians soon for another drive. I will try to get V Box next time.
Awesome report guys

All due respect to the TOT and other professional tuners out there, but somehow I have always felt that OEM tunes are the Best for day to day affairs. Probably, this is one of the reasons I have stayed away from remapping my GT.

Having said that, on the last BHP Meet, I did notice that Brraj's ramapped 1.6 GT TDI was giving Suraj's Abarth Punto (stock) a run for its money

If next such event DOES HAPPEN, I would like to nominate myself for the 1.6 class albeit in a GT TDI.

Would love to know what V-box story is for my car.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 15:13   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
If next such event DOES HAPPEN, I would like to nominate myself for the 1.6 class albeit in a GT TDI.
Sure, will keep you posted.

Also I would love to compare my remapped S-Cross with your 1.6 TDI . A remapped 1.5 TDI Polo was neck to neck with my remapped 1.6 S-Cross.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 22:50   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I was reading Autocar India magazine today. On last few pages details of all cars on sale in India are mentioned. I got curious and checked 0-100 timing of almost all the cars . Autocar does 0-100 using V Box. My remapped S-Cross 1.6 does 0-100 in 9.08 sec on V Box. I was surprised to see that I am doing better than most of the cars. I would list few of the cars with autocars timing.

S-Cross 1.6 ( remapped) : 9.08s

Hatchback :

Abarth Punto: 9.54
Figo 1.5 TDI: 10.55
Polo GT TSI: 11.02
Polo GT TDI: 11.52

Sedan:

Octavia 2.0 TDI MT: 8.84
Verna 1.6 CRDI: 9.72
Cruze MT: 10.22
Linea T Jet: 10.84

SUV / Cross over :

Creta 1.6 CRDI: 10.81
S-Cross 1.6: 11.5
Duster 110HP: 12.83

It's good to see that I am faster than all the stock cars mentioned above except Octavia 2.0 TDI. I am planning to take part in drag events soon. My class would be diesel cars below 1600 CC. I should watch out for tuned VAG 1.5/1.6 TDI, Hyundai 1.6 CRDI and also that 1.5 Figo diesel
Dr.Naren is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 13:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Cross 1.6 remapped vs Figo 1.5 TDCI (Stock)

We all know that New Figo diesel is very good in terms of performance and could give run for money for the cars even 2 segments higher. As per Autocar V Box, Figo 1.5 TDCI is 1 second quicker than stock S-Cross 1.6 ( 10.55 vs 11.5)

Thanks to BHPian Blackbandit, I got a change to test my remapped S-Cross against his stock Figo.

I tried to do couple of 0-100 runs on his Figo. This car is really F-A-S-T. But the fun is spoilt by gearshifts. I was not able to slot into 3Rd gear properly during aggressive shifts. Even with not so proper run, the car managed to 0-100 in 10.3 seconds.

Let's come to the stats, I had done 0-100 runs on same stretch in my S-Cross ( stock vs remap) using torque pro app. Surspringly, Torque pro reading is close to V Box ( if GPS is used)

S-Cross 1.6 ( stock) : 10.9
S-Cross 1.6 ( remap) : 9.3
Figo 1.5 TDCI: 10.3

Now, we decided to test both cars together by doing rolling start in 2nd gear. I was expecting my car to be slower initially because that Figo has no lag at all. But I maintained lead from beginning itself. At around 120 KMPH, I was 2 cars length ahead of Figo. We did the same run thrice and the results were exactly same. Thanks to the remap, I could beat this Figo. I am sure I would lose badly to a remapped Figo .

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20170201wa0017.jpg
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20170201wa0016.jpg

Disclaimer: Do not do these kinds of testing on public roads. This test was conducted on empty road

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st February 2017 at 13:32.
Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:16   #71
BHPian

Quote:
S-Cross 1.6 remapped vs Figo 1.5 TDCI (Stock)

We all know that New Figo diesel is very good in terms of performance and could give run for money for the cars even 2 segments higher. As per Autocar V Box, Figo 1.5 TDCI is 1 second quicker than stock S-Cross 1.6 ( 10.55 vs 11.5).....
Had a great time today along with bhpian Dr Naren. And boy the remapped scross sure does deserve a mention. If i had to compare it with the stock scross simply put it that, Narens remapped 1.6 simply blows the stock away. The car gets transformed to a new vehicle post the 2k rpm mark it is very rev happy and revs all the way at ease. I would say that this vehicle has a dual personality disorder. The lag is noticeable but not quite significant in the remapped 1.6. The gains are very significant and the mid range and top end is pretty strong, wheelspins are seen at second gear itself. But the typical Maruti brakes did make me nervous at high speed. My figo without the abs had better initial bite and the brakes did feel more confident to me. But it was stated by Naren to me during the drive, its only the initial bite thats lacking. And yes as he told, the brakes do bite pretty good when pressed significantly.

As for my figo though it lost the drag to the remapped scross, I am totally not disappointed. It clocked impressive 0-100 figures on the run. For car thats below the 10lakh bracket it is sure to give the higher end vehicles a run for their money. Simply put it, a remapped figo would literally fly. It sure is a pocket rocket. Gone are those days when people say we can't get fast cars at a VFM tag. Coming to the drag i feel the main reason for figo to stay behind was its linear power delivery nature. When my figo was linear the scross was on steroids post 2k rpm

Last edited by blackbandit : 1st February 2017 at 15:28.
blackbandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Had a great time today along with bhpian Dr Naren......
Thanks for the feedback

Yes, I am really impressed with Figo diesel. Even on stock map, you could keep up with my remapped S-Cross. Figo has very good driveablity and the compact size would help you to cut through the gaps and be faster on our roads . I can't wait to drive a remapped Figo. If I am replacing my Grand i10 diesel, Figo diesel is the only car which I would go for.

P.S: Next drag/comparo would be with an Innova Crysta AT running with RD dual channel box, Stay Tuned!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st February 2017 at 16:08.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
But it was stated by Naren to me during the drive, its only the initial bite thats lacking. And yes as he told, the brakes do bite pretty good when pressed significantly.
This could be related directly to the stock Elanzo NXT footwear of that car. My XUV is fitted with the same tyre as OEM and boy, when I brake absolutely nothing happen for the first 0.3 second. There's a markable difference between the JK and a XUV that's fitted with Bridgestone Duelers which I did a test drive.

IMHO, the OEM tyres should be evaluated and presented in the Pros/Cons section of every review that we put here in TBHP. Those who are on the market evaluating compact SUVs should take note that the Elanzos are one BIG reason to strike this car out. Sad truth!

In the case of a vehicle like the XUV, when one casually advises - like "replace the OEM tyres with something decent" - actually he is asking the owner to shell out another 50 to 80 K Rupees!!

@Dr. Naren, as a not-so-proud owner of a set of JKTyre Elanzo NXTs, let me tell you this: don't push the limits of your beast while you are on these. Replace the OEM tyres with something decent ASAP and drive safe.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:55   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
@Dr. Naren, as a not-so-proud owner of a set of JKTyre Elanzo NXTs, let me tell you this: don't push the limits of your beast while you are on these. Replace the OEM tyres with something decent ASAP and drive safe.
Fully agree!! Elanzo tyres are the main culprit. As I have mentioned before, tyre upgrade is a must for my car. These tyres might turn out to be dangerous, considering my car is doing close to 400 NM torque post remap
Old 4th February 2017, 15:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATE: 10000 KM Post Remap!!

I have run around 10k KM post remap in just 5 months. I am very much satisfied and have not faced any issues. Also the remap was not detected during routine diagnostic scans at Maruti service centre.

Observations :

1. Climbing slopes / incline: My stock car always used to struggle to climb steep inclines at lower revvs and also it would be very irritating if stuck halfway. Post TOT remap, the car feels effortless. I have tried to demonstrate it with a video.

2. Low end ( Below 1500 RPM) : Remap has not made significant difference here. But the difference is just right enough to overcome the infamous turbo lag of 1.6 S-Cross. Turbo lag has reduced but it can't be eliminated. Thanks to the bigger turbo and yes you can't go against physics.

3. Mid range ( 1500 to 3000 RPM) : The remap has made good difference here. The stock car has sudden turbo kick at around 2000 RPM. Sid believes in linear power delivery and even says that timing would be better. I fully agree to him here. On stock map, there would be sudden surge and steep fall too. Now it's pretty much linear, but nowhere close to linear power delivery of New Figo.

3. Top end ( Above 3000 RPM) : Oh boy, the remap has made huge difference here. On stock map, torque would taper off after 3000 RPM. But my car just pulls and pulls all the way to 4500 RPM. Torque band is held for longer and I fully enjoy it.

4. FE: I have not noticed any drop and it depends on driving style. With normal driving, I have noticed 1 to 1.5 KMPL more than stock. But if you are heavy on throttle, do expect minor drop in FE.

Driving the car for around 10K KM, I have observed that if you are gentle on throttle, car is as good as stock. But when you press more than 60 percent throttle, this is a different animal. It's like " point & shoot ".

Also this map is not violent. I would say this is a silent killer . Butt dyno might make you "feel" that the car is not significantly faster. But that is not the case, I could clearly understand when we tested with stock S-Cross. The remapped car was more than 3 cars length ahead and hit 20 KMPH more top speed on same stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20170202wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 4th February 2017 at 15:03.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks