Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 19:03   #91
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics!

Hi Naren, really surprised to hear that you're having a bad response from TOT after reading various posts about your good experience with TOT. If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue? Did anything happen before they stopped responding to your calls?
Just wanted to share my experience as well... many months ago I had decided to get my car remapped and after hearing good things about TOT on this forum, decided to go with them. The stock file was read from the ECU and sent to Sid. The new map was sent by Sid in some time and was flashed. Next, we headed to nice road for some testing. One of my friends who has an Abarth remapped by kiirus accompanied us for comparison. After a few runs we managed to clock 8.5 sec to a 100 and my friends car was 0.1 seconds slower. I was happy, thinking I might have one of the fastest Abarths in Bangalore! On the way back home I felt that the engine had become a little more smooth and pulling way better at lower revs. My friend and I decided to head out for a drive at night, what we often do to stretch the cars legs a bit. We started off and tried to do some in gear acceleration comparison. What happened next shocked me completely. The car didn't pull at all above 3k rpm and was revving very slowly! Felt like a NA 1.4 with no turbo pull whatsoever and my friends abarth just used to fly past me! In fact, my stock car was way faster and used to be neck and neck with the remapped Abarth till 3rd after which his car used to pull away slightly. I couldn't sleep that night.
Called Vivek the next day and he asked me to drop by to rectify the map. Did the same and my friend accompanied as well to show vivek how his car used to fly past at higher revs. Flashed another map and tried, same result. Another map which was supposed to more aggressive was flashed, but made the car jerk under full throttle. I was done and did not want any more testing to be done on my car, so I told him I want to go back to stock. He agreed, but I could see the slight change in his behaviour after I told him I didn't want to try anymore. He promptly called me the next day and returned the money that I had paid for the remap. Though the remap experience wasn't great, I respect his ethical behaviour and promptness. Since it was the first Abarth they were working with I gave them benefit of doubt and thought they can do better with some more time, as they do magic with the VAG diesels. So I refrained from writing about it on TBHP as well.
After seeing your post I'm really worried about the way my ECU casing has been sealed. I'm still in search of a good tuner for my Abarth along with my Polo TSI which will be delivered this week. TOT was really tempting for me as they claim unlimited tweaks to the map after paying just once but after reading your experience I will have to look elsewhere.
Sorry to hijack your thread but felt like sharing my experience after reading yours and it didn't warrant a new thread. I guess we're the only two members to have a not so great experience with TOT(?). Anyways, all the best in finding a good tuner for your car and hope tot responds to your mail with the stock map soon. Cheers!

Last edited by Suraj25 : 5th March 2017 at 19:13.
Suraj25 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6

Can't you use the stock map from any other S-Cross 1.6? Or is it like DNA?
Old 5th March 2017, 19:10   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Can't you use the stock map from any other S-Cross 1.6? Or is it like DNA?
It's possible only if the ECU ID is same. Working on it!!

@Suraj : Sad to heard about that and really appreciate for sharing your experience.

I think you don't have to worry about ECU sealing in your case. When ECU is opened multiple times, the old sealant has to be removed ( if in excess) and then reseal.

About the car not going above 3000 RPM, I guess it's limp mode.

Anyways after doing multiple remaps on all my cars, I have understood it's not safe to experiment (say if the car is first for a tuner, my S-Cross or your Abarth).

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2017 at 19:14.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:33   #94
Sip
BHPian

Hi Naren sorry to know all the bad treatment you got from TOT. I have been following your thread from the start. I am also able to appreciate how a bad tuner can spoil your car.

I really detest how badly TOT has handled the ECU, beached the trust by deceitful encryption and failure to honour earlier commitment of lifetime support. They seems to be devoid of requisite expertise for S-Cross. Sincerely hope that things improve for you.

On a side note I must compliment you for the fantastic decat downpipe mod.

Last edited by Sip : 5th March 2017 at 19:34.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:40   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Hi Naren sorry to know all the bad treatment you got from TOT. I have been following your thread from the start. I am also able to appreciate how a bad tuner can spoil your car.
Don't get it wrong buddy!! My car is running fine and I have no issues. Its just that TOT was not able to deliver few things and it's already 6 months. Also, not receiving calls or responding to messages was not a healthy gesture.

Quote:
I really detest how badly TOT has handled the ECU, beached the trust by deceitful encryption and failure to honour earlier commitment of lifetime support. They seems to be devoid of requisite expertise for S-Cross. Sincerely hope that things improve for you.

I am not an expert. But yes, the resealing job looks shabby. If you have followed my thread, you would have seen my posts explaining the issues faced during remap. As TOT has opened and sealed my ECU 4 or 5 times, this might be one off case. But it could have been definitely done better.

Yes, I don't understand about the encrypted file. TOT claims to do custom remaps and it's possible only with Master tool. The file which I have received is just 800 KB and a slave tool read.

Downpipe mod is deadly. There is improvement all over the revv band

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2017 at 19:44.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:21   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I think these sort of highly accusatory and negative messages without knowing the full story are not appropriate.

You have heard only one side of the story, Naren's, and you've already abused TOT right royally. I dont think that's fair.

This is the problem with social media. People appoint themselves the judge, jury and executioner.

For all you know, there are extenuating circumstances, because of which TOT havent replied promptly to Naren's emails and calls. Without knowing it, you should not indulge in mud slinging on a reputed business. You can cause irrevocable harm without even being involved in this transaction between Naren and TOT.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:25   #97
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Don't get it wrong buddy!! My car is running fine and I have no issues.
Sorry Doc for the ambiguity there. Yes I know your car is doing well and better than a stock car. But it is not up to the promised level.

Last edited by Sip : 5th March 2017 at 20:27.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:39   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Doc for the ambiguity there. Yes I know your car is doing well and better than a stock car. But it is not up to the promised level.
As I said before, the car is doing good. There is good difference in performance too.

I am disappointed with following points.

1. EGR delete in remap ( It was promised, but not done yet)
2. Tweaked map to compliment the downpipe mod ( No updates till date)
3. Excessive sealant which has made way into the ECU board ( few more cms more, it would have reached the circuit)
4. Not responding to any means of communication

For the first 2 points, TOT was citing protocol issues as the reason. But I can say confidently that there is a fully working protocol for 1.6 S-Cross.

Also, TOT has replied to my email few minutes back. They have said that the file sent to me is compressed one as it was a raw read due to protocol issues. Also they said my issues would be addressed. But I have already decided to move on. I have waited for long and I don't know think EGR delete, tweaked map etc would happen all of a sudden now. Also I don't know how they would remove the sealant which is already glued on the ECU board. The car is still running on TOT remap and I will update after I get the next tune.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2017 at 20:42.
Old 5th March 2017, 21:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

https://www.facebook.com/gttunerz/ - Sizable # of good reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Also, TOT has replied to my email few minutes back.

Wish it was done before it got raised here in TBHP as you were following up with them for quiet sometime.

After seeing our members experience with different tuners, as GTO mentioned many times, looks like its much safer bet to got a car that offers the power that we want.
Surprise is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 21:40   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
https://www.facebook.com/gttunerz/ - Sizable # of good reviews
Yes, they are pretty good and affordable. Also, Akshay has adapters for almost all ECUs. It makes the work so easy. He gets the files tuned by Quantum UK who does more than 3000 cars per month worldwide with around 700 dealers.

Quote:
Wish it was done before it got raised here in TBHP as you were following up with them for quiet sometime.
True that. Not to forget I have 3 cars remapped from TOT and literally no response for days was very hard to digest.

Quote:
After seeing our members experience with different tuners, as GTO mentioned many times, looks like its much safer bet to got a car that offers the power that we want.
Haha, true. But it's difficult to resist . I have remapped my 1.6 S-Cross (already a fast car) and even Suraj has tried to remap his Abarth punto, but sadly did not work out.
Old 5th March 2017, 22:51   #101
BHPian

I never thought TOT guys would be so unprofessional. Especially to a customer who already got 3 of his cars remapped from them. And that sealant application looks scary. I'm sure they do excellent remaps but this is scary. I wont be remapping my car anytime soon I guess .
Old 5th March 2017, 23:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
I never thought TOT guys would be so unprofessional. Especially to a customer who already got 3 of his cars remapped from them. And that sealant application looks scary. I'm sure they do excellent remaps but this is scary. I wont be remapping my car anytime soon I guess .
Come on man.. i dont see any lack of professionalism issue here .. just a little bit of rubber sealant extending to PCB wont not cause any issues , but lack of basic knowledge might can cause many issues .
ranjithrnair is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 00:30   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

@kryptonite : Long post!!! Let me try to put down few points to make things clear.

1. I have not said the performance is bad or there are any issues with present map.

2. Please check Alientech official website, TOT and Pete's were the official distributors of Alientech products. But now it's only Pete's in India.

3. Regarding 0-100 gains, I have got 11.26 in stock map and 9.73 post remap, 1.53 seconds gain to be precise. Yes, you have got 9.08 seconds but you have not done the run on stock map.

4. Yes, I understood that the file sent to me is raw read or whatever. But why did they not provide me open stock file? Obviously they would have the file as they have tuned it. An open stock file is needed to make any changes / tune.

5. When I got the remap done by TOT in September 2016, I was little worried about lack of protocol as it would take lot of time to customise the map as per my requirement. But TOT assured me that they will work with Alientech and sort out the protocol in a month. Well, 6 months is a lot for me when they assured it would be done in a month. I kept asking TOT once every month about it and there was one or other reason.

6. The protocol for S-Cross 1.6 was stabilised way back in November 2016. Alientech had released official update. I saw that in their site and did try again with TOT. There are different ways to establish ECU connection. TOT used direct communication and it again failed to read the ECU. But, Akshay had specific adapter for my ECU and it worked without any issues. I do not know more details about it. But all I know is TOT had to force read the ECU even when protocol was stabilised. There was no update from Alientech after November 2016 for S-Cross 1.6 EDC17C49 ECU. Akshay would have read the ECU even in November 2016. I wish I knew about it that time itself

7. Yes, I did get a panic attack by looking at the sealant ( transparent silicone based) on ECU board. Thanks for your assurance that it might not do any damage. But I doubt anybody would be comfortable with the sealant sitting on ECU board.

8. I have 3 cars running with TOT remap and I am fully satisfied with SX4 and Grand I10 remaps. But for 1.6 S-Cross, I am not going to change my decision and I would definitely get it remapped from any tuner who could meet my requirements.

9. Regarding the legal part, I don't understand. What legal opinions for an illegal business? ( say any car mod is not legal in India).

And ya whatever you have mentioned is from the viewpoint of a satisfied TOT customer and doesn't represent TOT right!!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 09:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Intellectual property? :-)
What about the manufacturer then? What should they say when their calibration is edited and sold commercially?
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 10:21   #105
BHPian

There is no legality or validity in the after market car tuning and/or modification market. It all runs on ethics, reputation and understanding between the tuners and the customer. There is a lot of room for cheating or providing sub standard service but there is no option for a customer to lodge a complaint or take the tuner to court for unsatisfactory service as both parties are involved in something that is prohibited.
Maibaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks