Team-BHP - QuikrScanner launched - OBD Scanner @ Rs 1,499
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   QuikrScanner launched - OBD Scanner @ Rs 1,499 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/179868-quikrscanner-launched-obd-scanner-rs-1-499-a.html)

http://www.motoroids.com/news/quikr-...ur-car-better/

I've read a lot of posts about OBD scanners, their use and things we do to get them in our hands. This is one informative review i found and felt was a good read hence sharing.

Please read the full review for details but sharing some bits that should give some context.

The only issue i can think of is that there is probably no way to tuck it away out of sight. It remains visible and probably open to theft / damage / tampering post installation.

Quote:

The compact plug-and-play device which connects to all modern cars’ OBD II port, offers real-time engine diagnostics, along with a host of other features such as theft / tow alarm, GPS tracking, real-time engine monitoring for better fuel efficiency, safety and your car’s overall well-being.

The QuikrScanner for cars is a compact on-board diagnostics device with an array of additional features. It’s very compact in size and can be connected directly to any car’s OBD2 port with no need for charging or requirement of any external power source.

The device connects to your smartphone via an app (available on both Android and iOS platforms) to facilitate real-time tracking of your car. Along with keeping an eye on the well-being of the car’s workings, it can also locate your car precisely on the map, and act as an effective anti-theft device. The device requires a SIM card with an active data plan for connecting to the Quikr servers and thereon to your cell phone. The device comes with an in-built GPS receiver, although its functionality can be further extended through a port which allows for a connection with an external antenna.

Here’s a top level list of the things this device does.

-- Tracks the car’s location in real-time and traces the driving path using Google Maps as base.
-- On setting places of interest, the device notifies users when their car reaches or is reaching the pre-determined location.
-- Analyses the trip and provides the vehicle history in terms of idle time and fuel economy.
-- Allow an alarm to be set up that notifies users in the event of their car being towed away or when an attempt is made to start the car.
-- Lastly, a general health report is put up on the app that includes the statuses of engine, battery, coolant temperature, and emission control.

It needs an active sim with data connection! Can we use it without any sim? I did not find anything mentioned about that.

It does mention it :

Quote:

Why not connect directly to the cellphone through Bluetooth you might ask? Well, that’s to ensure that you are updated about your car’s whereabouts and stats even when you are away from it. Use of SIM allows for better security and monitoring from anywhere, which wouldn’t have been the case if the system would have relied on Bluetooth. Quite well thought out!

Quikr site says "Now own the device and 1-year App subscription for Rs. 1,499/-"

Any idea about the App subscription cost after 1 year?

Not about Quikr CarScanner, but i have used similar product during their beta testing in my old car Fiesta.

That beta device ended up sucking all the battery overnight and my car didnt start next morning. Thats it :)

QuikrScanner This is some thing similar to Car Connect by Reliance Jio :Shockked:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...iance-jio.html

More players -> more competition-> more services-> More Choice for consumers!!!clap:

So I ended up ordering the QuickrScanner for my Grand Vitara. It came in an Unsealed box which also included an airtel sim, already taken out of its airtel packet (which was open) and inserted into the scanner. No instructions at all. Someone at Quickr had already set it up it seems. Plugged in my car, the lights lit up, drove around for a while. Nothing. Nothing at all showed up on my phone. Have pinged quikcr support. Since I have had other scanners before, realized that the biggest shortcoming with this scanner is the lack of bluetooth which would atleast allow me to connect to the scanner. Here the dependence is on the SIM and I am not really sure who is going to be paying for the data plan on the SIM since their website says all I need to do is spend 1499 and I would get all the stats on my phone.

I am not sure how are they earning because the device itself costs around Rs.2800-4000 in wholesale market in China. Again depending on the device you may need to add additional subscriptions or some with lifetime free are available. And the most important factor is that you don't know how they will use your information.

I was once participated in discussion similar to this, for location based services. Basically there are companies who will pay for the data of locations, to target advertising and recommendation based on your location as well.

The best solution I think instead of buying this device where you don't have control of anything

1. Buy good OBD device may be some quality device like Vgate ICAR2 or ICAR3
2. Get old Android mobile device with GPS, and fit permanently in car
3. Buy Torque Pro which has location tracking facility as well
4. Also you can buy subscription for advanced tracking services like https://www.gpswox.com/

This is one time effort to have fully flexible system as you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushantr5 (Post 4054252)
I am not sure how are they earning because the device itself costs around Rs.2800-4000 in wholesale market in China. Again depending on the device you may need to add additional subscriptions or some with lifetime free are available. And the most important factor is that you don't know how they will use your information.

I was once participated in discussion similar to this, for location based services. Basically there are companies who will pay for the data of locations, to target advertising and recommendation based on your location as well.

The best solution I think instead of buying this device where you don't have control of anything

1. Buy good OBD device may be some quality device like Vgate ICAR2 or ICAR3
2. Get old Android mobile device with GPS, and fit permanently in car
3. Buy Torque Pro which has location tracking facility as well
4. Also you can buy subscription for advanced tracking services like https://www.gpswox.com/

This is one time effort to have fully flexible system as you want.

Earnings is in the annual subscription. I guess some people might like the convenience of plugging this into the car more than putting together multiple things and having cables all over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshiviv (Post 4054183)
So I ended up ordering the QuickrScanner for my Grand Vitara. It came in an Unsealed box which also included an airtel sim, already taken out of its airtel packet (which was open) and inserted into the scanner. No instructions at all. Someone at Quickr had already set it up it seems. Plugged in my car, the lights lit up, drove around for a while. Nothing. Nothing at all showed up on my phone. Have pinged quikcr support. Since I have had other scanners before, realized that the biggest shortcoming with this scanner is the lack of bluetooth which would atleast allow me to connect to the scanner. Here the dependence is on the SIM and I am not really sure who is going to be paying for the data plan on the SIM since their website says all I need to do is spend 1499 and I would get all the stats on my phone.

Why didn't you just return it? Did you check if the Airtel SIM has data left to transmit stats over to the Quikr Server?

I totally agree though, its crazy not to also have Bluetooth! But its their way of forcing you to pay for the subscription.

I wish someone would do a comparo with another similar device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshiviv (Post 4054183)
So I ended up ordering the QuickrScanner for my Grand Vitara. It came in an Unsealed box which also included an airtel sim, already taken out of its airtel packet (which was open) and inserted into the scanner. No instructions at all.

I too got mine this monday morning. I already had a sim hence did not make use of the sim provided witht he box. On connecting, I could relate to the experience at your end. I use an iPhone 6. Nothing related to anti-theft etc... or the location showed up. But then when I tried with an android phone, I could get all the menus. Must be that the iOS isn't yet compatible or the app hasn't been tested comprehensively on iOS. DO try with an android phone.

Also, I had inserted the sim to one of my phone and in the morning I had the message thanking me for choosing Airtel and then a message with the phone number attached to that sim. Will have to check if data packs are enabled on that.

I had contacted their customer support to return the device. No response from their end yet. It's been 3-4 days now. Will try with an Android phone to see if that works out, since I was currently testing with an iPhone. The SIM was enabled for data when I used on my phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 4054853)
Why didn't you just return it? Did you check if the Airtel SIM has data left to transmit stats over to the Quikr Server?

I totally agree though, its crazy not to also have Bluetooth! But its their way of forcing you to pay for the subscription.

I wish someone would do a comparo with another similar device.

Well well well, I think the Quikr application is crazy on iOS platform. I got the device plugged into my Linea TJet and set out to check the statistics over a small drive. I was using the Android phone for this purpose however iPhone was still with me. On my short trip, I logged into to the application through my wife's android phone and the two android phones were in sync. Came back home, parked my car. Then checked the application on iPhone and voila it was displaying the location and all related menus similar to those on my android phones. :) ..As of now the device seems to be working fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda (Post 4057249)
As of now the device seems to be working fine.

Wow that's nice to know.
As once of the early birds from Blr, please throw some more light on whether the base price of INR.1499 includes the Data Cost or whether its additional. Also on completion of Year 1 what are the charges that an end user is expected to pay ?
Also is there an option to connect to the device by WLAN or Bluetooth without depending solely on Data Packs ?

Brought QuikrScanner last week, unable to get maps and other services, only device plugin and plugout alarm working, quikr customer support not responding. Can anyone extend some help?