Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 18:59   #91
BHPian

Re: Must-Have Items in the boot of your car

Has anyone used the jump starters with battery built-in (not just the jump starter cables), like this one - https://www.amazon.in/50800mAh-Multi...dp/B082FKYX9N/
There are various other models as well and I am confused which one to go for.
Thanks.
Old 18th January 2020, 22:31   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Has anyone used the jump starters with battery built-in (not just the jump starter cables), like this one - https://www.amazon.in/50800mAh-Multi...dp/B082FKYX9N/
There are various other models as well and I am confused which one to go for.
Thanks.
I have used one bought from the US and it worked fine the couple of times I had tried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wary of the 50800 mAH rating of the one you posted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post

Stuff yet to be ordered:
  • Jumper cable though I hope I never have to use one. Amazon has Amazonbasics for 999/- and that is the only one that looks worth buying. Don't know of any other brand unless someone here can suggest one.
  • Fire extinguisher. Any brand that I should look for? Any suggestions?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I have the following items in my car (Some of them not in the boot)
Quote:
Thinking if this ball type extinguisher is suitable for car/automobile fires because you won't be able to attack a specific spot. My choice would be a regular good quality fire extinguisher. This is what I have https://www.amazon.in/s?k=ceasefiere&ref=nb_sb_noss

Amazon was not willing to ship it to my address, so I ordered it directly from the company.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 23:32   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have used one bought from the US and it worked fine the couple of times I had tried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wary of the 50800 mAH rating of the one you posted though.
Thinking if this ball type extinguisher is suitable for car/automobile fires because you won't be able to attack a specific spot. My choice would be a regular good quality fire extinguisher. This is what I have https://www.amazon.in/s?k=ceasefiere&ref=nb_sb_noss

Amazon was not willing to ship it to my address, so I ordered it directly from the company.

Jaguar, thanks for your suggestion. I did see that option (Ceasefire) and was considering that, but I went for the AFO fireball for the below reasons
  • Zero maintenance for 5 years
  • Can be used by anyone including ladies as you can drop and get far away from the fire
  • Weight
  • Automatically works even when you are not in the car.
  • 500 gms of Ceasefire may not be sufficient, AFO retardant is at least 1.3 kgs.
Old 18th January 2020, 23:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went for the AFO fireball for the below reasons
  • Zero maintenance for 5 years
  • Can be used by anyone including ladies as you can drop and get far away from the fire
  • Weight
  • Automatically works even when you are not in the car.
  • 500 gms of Ceasefire may not be sufficient, AFO retardant is at least 1.3 kgs.
All that is good on paper but are there any real use cases of these ball type fire extinguishers? I see only 7 reviews and all say, looks good. Nobody seems to have the need to use it thankfully. 500 gms ceasefire is what I have. My point is, there are many more normal fire extinguisher models of various capacities that are proven in real life. So why rely on some new technology?
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 11:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
All that is good on paper but are there any real use cases of these ball type fire extinguishers? I see only 7 reviews and all say, looks good. Nobody seems to have the need to use it thankfully. 500 gms ceasefire is what I have. My point is, there are many more normal fire extinguisher models of various capacities that are proven in real life. So why rely on some new technology?

Fireball used by Queensland Fire department

Demo of fireball in different situations including automobiles

Kindly note that I am no expert, but I decided based on what I understood. I am not arguing that a Fireball would be better in situations (honestly, I am not sure), but I simply thought I will forget to refill the fire extinguisher and also the other points mentioned in the previous post and went ahead with AFO.

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2020, 22:08   #96
BHPian

Is the Amazon basics jumper cable any good?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074DMMDVJ/..._qqeSEbV5TN1WB
Old 18th January 2021, 11:47   #97
BHPian

Summary List of all items

Must-Have Items in the boot of your car

Spare Tyre (Inflated)
Tire Inflator
Pressure Gauge
Tubeless Puncture Repair Kit
Wheel Spanner and Jack
Towing Hook
First Aid kit (Dettol bottle 1 no, regular Band aid strips 10 no’s, medicated cotton 1 roll, bandage 5 rolls, antiseptic powder 1 bottle, burnol 1 tube, boroplus 1 tube, boroline 1 tube, Tiger balm 1 bottle, Iodex/Moov 1 case, and Relispray 1 can.)

Jumper Cables with D-shackles
Heavy Duty Gloves
Towing Cables
Hazzard Triangles
Car Tool Kit
2 Litres of Tap Water
Sanitizer Bottle
Liquid Soap
Small funnel
WD-40 (small)
Microfiber Cloths
Windshield Washer Liquid
Jopasu Duster (may scratch clear coat)
Duct Tape
M-Seal
Baseball bat
Gloves
Thin/strong Thread
Insulation Tapes
A plastic tarpaulin sheet 6feet x 4 feet (picnic sheet)
Old Newspapers
Mallet (Rubber Hammer)

Must-Have Items in the Glove Box/Cabin

Baby Car Seat (if kid is traveling)
Microfiber Cloths for cleaning mirrors and windshield.
1 L Water Bottle
Medicine (vomiting, headache, stomach, acidity, ORS, loose motion, pain relief, Moov etc)
Torchlight (magnetic base) or Head Lamp
Sun Glass
Phone Charger Cable
Swiss Utility knife
Printout of instructions on "How to Jump start your Car"
Car Documents
Box of tissues
SunShade Mesh
Pen & Paper with important phone numbers
Car Owner’s Manual
Soft Copy of Owner Manual in mobile
Umbrella ( in monsoon)
Toilet Paper Roll
Paper Soap
Fire Extinguisher
Seatbelt cutter and Window breaker.
Retractable Baton
Rs 500 Cash
Car Dustbin

Additional Must-Have Items in the boot for very LONG Drive

Coolant 1L
Engine Oil 1L
Fuel 5L (only in mountains )
Car Wash Kit
Spare Headlight Bulbs
Spare Fuses
Wet Tissues
Fold-able Chairs
Spare Key (not with driver or wife's vanity bag)
Air Filter
Tent
Elastic Tie down straps for luggage
12V to 220V laptop charger

Avoid these Items in your car

Snacks (Attract Rats)
Loose sharp Items
sagwal is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 17:58   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
Summary List of all items
Appreciate you summarizing the entire thread to bring it up to the present. I am a first time car buyer (in India) and was looking for the essentials to have in the car and thus bumped into this thread (via the search function here).

I was reading the thread late last night on an iPad so didn't comment or ask questions, but I had to revisit this thread to thank yall for the ideas and the lists yall have on here, and especially to thank you for compiling it all in one place.

I had started reading from the beginning (old thread) and I noticed that there's one thing that's common among most yalls lists; something I had never heard of before. This magical 'Jopasu' duster that everyone seems to be in love with!

I had to look it up and watched a couple youtube videos on the product and I have decided that it's the first thing am gonna get hahahaha

The entire thread was a great read and thank yall for putting it together!

I still need to figure out what are the best tyre inflaters and towing/recovery gear in our Indian market, but I guess I will keep reading to get to it; and if I run into questions, I shall ask you fine folk!

Thank you.

Edit: Actually I did go ahead and order something the day I booked my vehicle. I had totally forgotten about it. The vehicle hasn't been delivered yet but my first ever accessory has been (in October, 2020). When the vehicle arrives, I will take a picture of the accessory sitting in the boot, and yall gonna get a good laugh hahaha

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 19th January 2021 at 18:12. Reason: Edit: porta-party :-)
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 18:11   #99
BHPian

Now a days, pee safe and toilet seat covers come very handy on long drives
chakri400 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 18:51   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Few months ago, I witnessed a car fire outside my apartment. The car came to a sudden halt and few seconds later, the fire started from the engine (most likely the battery, as the flames first started coming out from the bonnet on the passenger side). Apartment security folks rushed in to help with a 10kg extinguisher (the ones most commonly found in malls / offices) but couldn't put out the fire.

Why? Because they were trying to put out the the flames from the outside, while the fire kept raging inside the engine bay, feeding on fuel, oil and every other combustible. The firetrucks reached in 10 minutes later, but the car was already a heap of mangled metal.

Having witnessed the entire episode from so close, I learnt two important things that day:
Engine and Cabin fires are entirely different. CeaseFire or similar extinguishers may be helpful in the event of a small cabin fire incident. But
Portable extinguishers are useless in case of an engine fire. In order to use one, the bonnet needs to be opened and the powder/foam needs to be directed at the source of the fire before it spreads. Most bonnets require a latch to be physically operated from the outside in order to open, and in case of an engine fire, it would be far too risky and the bonnet would be too hot to operate. This is where I believe something like the AFO/Elidefire ball can help significantly, provided they work as advertised. However, this is still a big grey area, we can never be sure of the effectiveness of the ball-type extinguishers.

The other thing I learnt is it takes a full three minutes from the first flame spotted till the time the car is engulfed entirely. If the occupants are conscious, if they don't panic and step out quickly as soon as a flame is spotted, they are safe. But if there is a fire resulting from a crash/impact and occupants are knocked or dazed, it could prove fatal.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 23:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

It would be great to have a t-bhp tool kit for your boot, which includes tools from must have list from here. That way it is easy to get kit for new car owners instead of buying it individually.
govigov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 14:11   #102
BHPian

Elastic Tie down straps for luggage
12V to 220V laptop charger

Thanks for that very comprehensive list.
I was curious to know if you, or anyone else, have managed to obtain any strong luggage straps that can be used with the luggage hooks that are WITHIN the car. I have a paranoid( and justified) fear of loose luggage flying around like a missile inside the car in case of a crash or a sudden stop. I have been struggling to find something that would would be as strong and secure as a seat belt.
Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 05:53   #103

All I keep in the boot of my car is Mothers or other brand instant detailers for when I'm out on the road. In any of the 4WDs or wagons that I've owned I keep blankets and something cushony for when I'm camping or somewhere with a nice lookout
MrVIPMan250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:06   #104
BHPian

A very nice thread! I carry the following items in my car:

A. Things that are always in my trunk:
  1. Tyre Inflator.
  2. Puncture repair kit.
  3. Magnetic torch.
  4. Spare lamps.
  5. Spare spectacles: My old pair always ends up in the car.
  6. Spare CR2032 battery for my key fob.
  7. Water.
  8. Wiper fluid.
  9. Glass wiper.
  10. Zip ties.
  11. Owner's manual.
  12. Wet wipes.
  13. Duster

B. Things that are always in my cabin:
  1. Drinking water - sipper bottle for the driver's door.
  2. First aid kit and some medicines: Restocked periodically to ensure there are no expired medicines.
  3. Phone charger.
  4. Seat-belt cutter and window breaker.
  5. RC, PUC, Insurance.
  6. Tissue paper, paper soap.
  7. Spare masks (since COVID).
  8. Hand sanitizer (even before COVID).

C. Things that are in the car for long trips:
  1. Jumper cables.
  2. Spare fuses.
  3. Spare fluids for top-up: coolant, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid.
  4. Rope.
  5. Printed maps for remote regions with limited cell coverage.

I have seen many people mention the Jopasu Duster. To be honest, I had never heard of it until I came across this thread. Is it worth having in the car? How is it better than an ordinary duster?

Cheers!
mohitchalla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:56   #105
Senior - BHPian

Looking for suggestions which brand of car jack to buy (electric operated by car cigarette lighter). If any leads, please share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks