Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 07:42   #1
BHPian

Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only

Hey all!

I bought the OBD plug-in module for activating the Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock (SSADL) feature, from AliExpress.

1. Installation:
Near the right side of the steering on the lower half of the dash, is the fuse box cover. When you remove this cover, you see an array of fuses, and below this is the OBD port.
The SSADL Module is to be plugged into this port.
(Just remember to remove this when you give your Creta for servicing)

2. Functioning:
Once you start the engine, and start driving, you cross a speed of 10km/hr, the doors get locked.
(This module is for Automatic Transmission cars only. Seller has asked me to test on Manual Transmission Creta, but I don't have any in my circle to test it. Anyone in Hyderabad is welcome to visit and test in their car.)

3. Missing Feature / Point to note:
This module locks the car after 10km/hr after you start the engine and start driving. Suppose you have a companion with you and you halt the car at some place for them to get down, and you carry on with your drive, when they unlock the door, this will not Auto Lock this time.
I hope you get what I am trying to explain.
In my Elantra, this feature is oem, so when i unlock the car middle of my drive, it again re-locks when it detects the speed crossing 15km/hr.
With this module, if you unlock the car middle of your drive, without stopping the engine, you have to manually re-lock the doors.

Well, this scenario hardly happens with me, but i would have liked if this feature was possible.

4. Price & Purchase link:
It costed me around Rs.1,050/- landed at my doorsteps. (No custom duty)

The link for the AliExpress product page is:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...739119445.html

5. Review:
That's it! Simple as that. This is it's functioning. For the price, i suggest every Creta AT owner to have this, worth the simple safety it offers.

It's really foolish of Hyundai to omit this small yet important safety feature from all variants but the SX (O). This must have been standard feature starting from the entry model, and i think this should be made a standard for all cars.

I always keep the doors locked. I have a concern that if the doors are not locked, the following could happen with anyone:
1. At a signal, someone distracts you and just opens the door and steals your laptop bag / briefcase.
2. Beggars on the roads at signals are sometimes aggressive, and may just open the door.
3. In an extreme case, you don't fall victim easily to some one just barging in your car and asking you to drive them somewhere. (Ok, little filmy, but life is a drama, anything could happen!)

The first two points are my main concetn, and i badly needed the doors to lock themselves, and then the Hyundai workshops say it is not just a switch that they can on and the function starts in our car, it's supposedly a different controller in the locks.

After it worked successfully, i have ordered one more for a friend of mine.

Note: There are one or two other sellers selling similar product, but some said they had problems with Creta, their product is for ix25 only, with a host of added features that is exclusive for ix25, and not the Creta.

Hope you enjoy the review, let me know any questions you have.
This seller also has it for other cars too if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only-1475547135586.jpg  

Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only-1475547146887.jpg  

Last edited by Insane Devil : 4th October 2016 at 07:57.
Insane Devil is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 11:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only

Superb add-on! Thanks for sharing.

Silly of manufacturers to miss out on such a basic yet useful feature. It won't even cost them a 100 bucks to incorporate it; the absence especially pinches on more expensive cars like the Creta. Even the new Hyundai Elantra only gets auto-locking doors on the top variant .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
In an extreme case, you don't fall victim easily to some one just barging in your car and asking you to drive them somewhere.
Truly! Drhoneycake faced the unfortunate situation of a sex worker getting into his car - link to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
As we all do while speaking, I was making hand gestures and then happened to just brushed my hair.

What happened next truly shocked me. This female staring at me all this while on the footpath walks upto my car, opens the door, sits inside and tells me that there is a lodge nearby and she would give me a good rate . (Stupid Hyundai, why don't you provide auto locking doors!).

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2016 at 11:06.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only

Any idea if this is creta specific or can be used on other Hyundai automatics? Would love this on my xcent automatic too!
Old 4th October 2016, 13:11   #4
BHPian

This is an awesome device. I am tired of talking to Honda service team to send this as feedback. No help. I have also tried contacting AutoCop who supplied my burglar alarm if there is a way for them to add this feature via software update. Again no help. Our 2007 Wagon R has it while 2016 premium cars don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
(This module is for Automatic Transmission cars only. Seller has asked me to test on Manual Transmission Creta, but I don't have any in my circle to test it. Anyone in Hyderabad is welcome to visit and test in their car.)
Okay, now Creta has been selling like hotcakes, definitely there are lot of Creta MT in HYD can someone please test this on manual variant? Need it desperately on my 2012 MT Jazz.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 13:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm curious - with the OBD port used by this add-in, if I wanted to connect a dongle, can I use a Y-cable like this one? It allows the connection of more than one OBD-II device to a single port, but given that this add-in will also be sending a signal and is not just read-only I wonder if it might cause interference if I had an OBD-II dongle connected.
Speed-sensing Auto Lock for the Hyundai Creta! Simple OBD module for Rs 1,050 only-61nroivahwl._sl1024_.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Truly! Drhoneycake faced the unfortunate situation of a sex worker getting into his car.
OK, with a name like Drhoneycake ("gives you all the sweetness and loving you'd need"), just what else was he expecting? Its like the names given to Bond girls

Last edited by arunphilip : 4th October 2016 at 13:30. Reason: Typo
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 14:38   #6

This feature is oem on my Maruti Zen Estilo Vxi. Its dissapointing to know that such an expensive vehicle like Creta misses out on this feature.
smartsubrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 16:30   #7
BHPian

If someone does test this out on the Creta diesel manual then please do confirm as I would certainly like to have it on my car.
It is certainly a very good feature to have whether you drive alone or with your family, it adds to the safety.
Old 4th October 2016, 17:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure how a manual or automatic car makes a difference in its locking module or the ECM signal for the trigger. As long as this device manages to lock the car doors beyond a speed it will do so irrespective of whether the car is automatic or manual. At least I can't think of any mitigating circumstances for a manual to cause this thing to not work!
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 18:03   #9
BHPian

@GTO: that's hilarious! but yeah, anything can happen, you never know. Better safe than sorry. Hyundai and all other manufacturers should make this a standard! Or rather, the Government should.

@BenjiRoss: Hi, You can contact the seller and send him the pic of your car, along with the driver door lock/power window switch area pic, he can guide you. If you are in HYD, then most welcome to try my piece.

@arunphilip: sorry mate, no idea. If the cable is not too expensive, why not give it a shot.

Generally, i think this could work with even Manual Transmission too. The Auto Transmission requirement is for "auto-unlock" when the gear is put in "P" mode, but that anyway is happening by default when the engine is shut.
I have a friend who has the MT, but his is the SX(O) model, which anyway by default has this feature.

I am going to try this in my i20 (2012) diesel manual, and see if this works, need one for that too.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 4th October 2016 at 18:06.
Insane Devil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 20:15   #10
BHPian

My 2008 Skoda Fabia manual transmission has auto door locking at the speed of 20 kms and auto unlock once you switch off the engine. The variant is next to the base variant, 1.2 petrol.

I found it really useful and safe with 3 kids at the back, unfortunately when I bought Honda Brio in 2012, it had a central locking facility but no auto lock even in my top end and my wife reminds me to use the central locking facility to lock all the doors every time we go out.

All the car manufacturers are cutting corners by saving a few hundred bucks by not providing us the same features as in their international models, but the same people provide everything when they launch their cars in USA, UK, Europe etc. Unfair.
7heaven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 07:09   #11
BHPian

just an update, tried it in my i20, didn't work. so this is car specific for sure. Just have to see if it works in Manual Transmission Creta.
Insane Devil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 10:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What should have been a standard feature, the owners need to look for aftermarket solutions to fix the glaring missing feature. That too after paying a hefty amount for the product.

Saving grace is at least an aftermarket solution is available.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 11:17   #13
SRM
BHPian

Always wondered why such a basic important feature wouldn't be included in relatively well-priced cars. I have a Grand i10 Asta(O) which is the top variant and it still doesn't get this feature.

Checked with the Hyundai service centre as well and they had no clue how to activate the auto lock.

Was happy to see this post, and give this a try but couldn't find one for i10 or Grand i10 on aliexpress. Should I search for any other name? I think globally its called i10, please correct me if wrong.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:32   #14
BHPian

I contacted the seller on Aliexpress for GZWinsGo brand. He said he checked with his engg team and got a reply that in MT cars the signal is unstable and hence it is only for AT cars.

Someone might still give it a try to find the extent to which the device malfunctions on MT. I am even okay if the device does not auto lock sometimes...even 50% probability is good for me.

help
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Always wondered why such a basic important feature wouldn't be included in relatively well-priced cars. I have a Grand i10 Asta(O) which is the top variant and it still doesn't get this feature.

Checked with the Hyundai service centre as well and they had no clue how to activate the auto lock.

Was happy to see this post, and give this a try but couldn't find one for i10 or Grand i10 on aliexpress. Should I search for any other name? I think globally its called i10, please correct me if wrong.
hi,

my suggestion is to take the plunge, and go for it. its just Rs.1k, well worth it, if it works. Only order if your's is an AT, and you are ok to lose the money if it doesn't work. you could probably sell it to a fellow forum member for their Creta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks