Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 17:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
GTO, By any chance, did your car go for an engine wash after this wrap?

An automobile shop owner advised to try this - To fit a small LED bulb strip inside the engine bay and switch it on during the night time.
High Pressure Engine compartment washing can be dangerous, If water seeps and get inside along with engine oil, it may result in Hydro-locking and engine may fail. I would suggest to use lite spray of phenyl and wipe gently using damp cloth to remove the rat odour.

Regarding LED, I purchased this and let it run whole night, but the rodent was still back.

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-img_20161012_172950.jpg

Yesterday I tried connecting small comb and brushes, looks like this huge rodent has no effect of it.

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-img_20161012_101543.jpg

Can you see the poop, it has come back despite all my attempts to block it.

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-img_20161012_101136.jpg

I have parked in different place now, i will continue with the lights-on and some smashed pepper. I also have got some Rat poison, will mix with tomatoes and place late night near the apartment gates and holes, need to do this when every one sleeps so that no pets or birds swallow it, the struggle continues, will post with updates tomorrow.
johnruben is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 10:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
I just keep a piece of the Mortein rat-kill cake under the driver's seat and behind the front suspension struts inside the bonnet of each car. That way if rats do attack they would go for this yummy (for them) but lethal piece of cake rather than the wiring.
Rat-kill is a two way sword. I put some in the engine bay of my Polo. They chew it and spill the crumbs all over the engine bay. Rat-kill mixed with rat droppings smells like hell. Besides, it seems that rat-kill doesn't work fast. It took almost a week (after using rat-kill) for me to discover a dead rat in my car parking area. In that one week's time they do all the damage they can. There's another downside to it. Some rat poisons sold for home use are designed to attract the rats and kill them. So if you keep them in the car you'll be inviting more of those rodents. When one dies another comes. If the rat dies inside some nooks in the engine bay its a nightmare to take that out and then clean it.
Mithrandir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 11:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
IMO cats are the best rodent repellant
Cats may keep the rats away but don't let a cat inside the engine bay. They may pull some wires or scratch some covers off. Besides, what if the cat decides to sleep in the engine bay planning for an ambush?. Now, come to think of it...a rat inside a car can attract many other predators too. Imagine lifting the bonnet and finding a snake inside the engine bay .
Old 15th October 2016, 19:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Cats may keep the rats away but don't let a cat inside the engine bay. They may pull some wires or scratch some covers off. Besides, what if the cat decides to sleep in the engine bay planning for an ambush?. Now, come to think of it...a rat inside a car can attract many other predators too. Imagine lifting the bonnet and finding a snake inside the engine bay .

I didnt mean you should keep a cat in the engine bay !
If there are cats in the vicinity the rats seem to stay away. There are some rats around but they dont get into my engine because there is always a cat or two hanging around under my car because I feed them.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 21:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I didnt mean you should keep a cat in the engine bay !
HaHa... but you didn't need to. They keep themselves in the engine bay. Cats like secluded places that they can climb into, and, all the better if they are warm.

I do think that my cat, who was seen by the maid killing a fair-sized rat, is acting as a good deterrent. Of course, I'm fond of the cat: it would be heartbreaking as well as an unimaginable mess, to turn any cat into mincemeat under the hood. I make a habit of always beeping the horn before starting the engine at home.
Old 16th October 2016, 01:45   #36
BHPian

I have a update to tell you guys:

The following things failed:
1. Rat Repellent
2. Comb & Brush rat traps
3. Phenyl spray

The following things combined seems to have worked:
1. Tobacco Leaves
2. Half-Smashed Pepper in small containers and few spread all over
3. LED Light thoughout night
4. Swapped both of my car's places with each other in the parking area, the infested car is not been further intruded and so as my other car which was kept in it's place.
5. Made Friends with kitties, one is now sleeping inside my engine room.
johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 10:24   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please discuss only the repellent tape on this thread. We have other threads to discuss alternate solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
GTO, By any chance, did your car go for an engine wash after this wrap?
I don't spray wash the engine bay, with or without the rat tape .
Old 17th October 2016, 15:55   #38
BHPian

Looks like a good solution. I had rat problem in My Accord (Cost me) and I regularly see Rat activity in my Jazz.

Open packets of Tobacco has been working for me. The cheap Tobacco packets opened in half and some Tobacco sprinkled in and around the engine bay.
Old 21st October 2016, 18:05   #39
Team-BHP Support

Abhijeet Gopal shared the following useful information on our Facebook page:

"There is a cable sleeve / cover by company called mdr mx. Their cables used in data center are rodent proof. Width 16 to 22 mm. Price 300. 4.5 mtr will cover all the wires. It will also withstand high temperatures."
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 00:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Abhijeet Gopal shared the following useful information on our Facebook page:
"There is a cable sleeve / cover by company called mdr mx. Their cables used in data center are rodent proof. Width 16 to 22 mm. Price 300. 4.5 mtr will cover all the wires. It will also withstand high temperatures."
Need this sleeve . Rehaan can you please get more info on this?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2016 at 10:42. Reason: Poorly typed post
fuzail is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:37   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
Need this sleeve . Rehaan can you please get more info on this?
Here's a link shared by the same user.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 18:21   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There were some hard-to-reach places. Got a house electrician to tape those up today:

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-20170128-16.44.19.jpg

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-20170128-16.44.35.jpg

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-20170128-16.44.44.jpg

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-20170128-16.54.48.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There were some hard-to-reach places. Got a house electrician to tape those up today:
Ahh, electricians just have that knack of getting to those places.

Currently rat free, but one never knows when they may strike. Just thought to ask a relative who regularly travels there to see if he can get it in Singapore. I wonder if they have over-the-counter original spares sales there. Anyway, he's in the car trade: he'll know.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th January 2017 at 21:06.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 00:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
High Pressure Engine compartment washing ...

Yesterday I tried connecting small comb and brushes, looks like this huge rodent has no effect of it.

Can you see the poop, it has come back despite all my attempts to

I have parked in different place now, i will continue with the lights-on and some smashed pepper. I also have got some Rat poison, will mix with tomatoes and place late night near the apartment gates and holes, need to do this when every one sleeps so that no pets or birds swallow it, the struggle continues, will post with updates tomorrow.
How is this expected to work buddy. You are to use wire brush made of metal. The plastic is not going to prick the rat or even human skin a metal wire brush can. Please use a metal brush and try. I have got satisfactory results with same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4049067

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2017 at 08:47. Reason: As requested
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 00:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How is this expected to work buddy. You are to use wire brush made of metal. The plastic is not going to prick the rat or even human skin a metal wire b
rush can. Please use a metal brush and try. I have got satisfactory results with same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4049067
I completely forgot to update, thanks for reminding me.

As mentioned in my previous post, the rat(s) used to come no matter what i used to do, It all started in Sep/oct last year, I was almost about to give up, then i realized i have to fight this out to save my car, so I removed all the brushes, yes you are right it has no effect on these rodents, removed the led light, since i cant keep recharging them everyday and it did visit despite lights-on, so no point in keeping it, I stopped all kind of spray as i noticed, combining many things may mix & reduce the actual effect of the right ingredient, then i noticed it was the tobacco leaves that made them stay away from the car temporarily.

The rats used to come even despite of tobacco leaves, but i noticed a change, they sometime used to bring bones and some left over food from the bin and store in the engine room, but when i did put the tobacco leaves it was not getting anything, however i used to see their footprints, this made me to put lot of tobacco leaves in a sock and tie in 3- 4 places and put some water in the evening, water makes the tobacco stench more, my security guy who washes my car was assigned a new job to apply water on the socks every day and i changed the leaves every 15 - 20 days once, slowly in 1-2 months they stopped coming, i shared my testimony with other neighbors and everyone started using the tobacco leaves and hurrah!! we have not encountered a rat problem so far.
johnruben is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed