Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 15:00   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents

Big shoutout to Johannskaria for sharing this product in this post !

I was easily convinced because it's a genuine Honda OEM part - they would've done their R&D before recommending this tape via a technical service bulletin. And boy, did they need it in the USA. American Honda got sued by customers as its soy-based wiring attracts rodents - they simply love the taste (news link). I don't doubt that claim since my Civic was by far the most affected by rats (they didn't even touch the Sunny or Jeep parked in the same compound, although my C220 has been attacked). Honda's not alone though. After Euro legislation, every car manufacturer is using bio-degradable wiring made of stuff that's yummy to rats.

Honda's rodent-proof tape was so popular in the USA that it quickly sold out and was on back order for a couple of months. How does it work? This is a tape loaded with spicy capsaicin, an active component of chilli peppers (“the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chilli", Honda says). Apparently, that can be an incredibly strong deterrent for rats - one bite into this spicy wire is enough to 'zap' them. Look up American websites and you'll see mostly positive reviews (although there are a handful of negative ones too).

My sibling based out of CA visits India twice a year, and her husband even more often. I ordered the tape on Amazon, shipped it to their place and asked them to carry it along. The $26 pricing is cheap if you consider the cost of replacing damaged wires & pipes. Speaking of cost, two packs (20 meters each) were sufficient to cover all the tapes of my 530d.

Link to product on Amazon & a related Consumer Reports article.

Package arrives at my office:

Quick install - couple of hours over a weekend and my car was done. This is where the bonnet strut is mounted. Both sides have a gaping hole that can become a resting place for rats. Thick cables have been covered up entirely. Notice the cute rat icons on the tape :
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-1.jpg

Nearly all rubber pipes have been taped up. Honda recommends the half-wrapping method ("each time you wrap the tape around the harness, overlap the layer you just did by half the width of the tape"):
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-2.jpg

Navnit BMW did this wire (tucked inside) for me. They also taped up some pipes & wires under the engine:
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-3.jpg

Air-con pipe at the front protected as well. Remember to clean the pipes / wires before applying this tape:
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-4.jpg

Some places are hard to reach as the gap is too small. Also, the adhesive on the tape isn't strong (my single complaint with this product). Unless you fix it perfectly (impossible to do in some spots), it peels off a little bit:
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-dsc08984.jpg

I also use other solutions, so don't know which one is working, but my car emerged safe from the monsoons (a time when rat attacks are at their worst). A pic of my spiky car border from this post:

Related Threads

Rat-proof fencing

Tanveer's very effective tar brush solution

Protection from Rats

Rat-proof spray

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2016 at 10:53.
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice solution. Coming from Honda, we can be reassured they've tested it for under-bonnet temperatures, wetness, etc.

The only unenviable task would be properly cleaning the various looms/hoses, prior to exhaustively taping them over.

Any precautions to be taken to avoid a strip of tape coming loose and mangling itself into some belt or moving part? Maybe zip ties every 6 inches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How does it work? This is a tape loaded with spicy capsaicin, an active component of chilli peppers (“the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chilli", Honda says)
C'mon, spill the beans - were you not tempted to even test it/taste it? Just to see whether what might be 'zapping' for a US rat might be palatable for an Indian rat that has no doubt fed on various local spices!

Last edited by arunphilip : 5th October 2016 at 15:24.
arunphilip is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 17:26   #4
BHPian

I hope this amazing stuff is would be available in India off the shelf in future. Thanks for sharing.

I guess it would work far better than tobacco pouches, and placing wire brush in the engine bay. In cars where there is ample space in the engine bay, it could be done as a DIY. One would need professional help if the engine bay is jam packed.

If you have some spare lying, do cover/tape the brake fluid reservoir cover. I have seen that its made of semi flexible kind of material in some cars and rats have tried to chew that cover in my figo.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 5th October 2016 at 17:32.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 00:58   #5
BHPian

A second line of defense in case the fence is breached - Man! These Mumbai rats must be ferocious.

An SA once told me that rats get attracted to cars as they like the warmth of the engine. But, then Mumbai rats should be the last ones to look for warmth
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Just to see whether what might be 'zapping' for a US rat might be palatable for an Indian rat that has no doubt fed on various local spices!
. Hahaha, perhaps Honda is "tuning their recipe" for the low-fuel quality and bad roads. Oh sorry, for spice devouring Indian-rats.
Su-47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 07:11   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Just to see whether what might be 'zapping' for a US rat might be palatable for an Indian rat that has no doubt fed on various local spices!
The Indian rats will probably thrive on this diet and ask for more. I have a feeling this stuff will be counter-productive here. Probably will do more to attract the beasts than to deter them!
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 11:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very nice solution. Coming from Honda, we can be reassured they've tested it for under-bonnet temperatures, wetness, etc.
Yeah, that's the reason I immediately called for the tapes. Just the backing of a big brand was reassuring. Most rat-proofing solutions are from small, relatively unknown companies.

Quote:
The only unenviable task would be properly cleaning the various looms/hoses, prior to exhaustively taping them over.
Thanks! Adding to the opening post.

Quote:
Any precautions to be taken to avoid a strip of tape coming loose and mangling itself into some belt or moving part? Maybe zip ties every 6 inches?
Haven't seen the need for this yet, although I wish it had stronger adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
placing wire brush in the engine bay
The wire brush has a proven track record, as seen in BHPian posts on the forum. I haven't gotten the brushes fitted inside the engine bay as things are damn tight with very little room for them. However, if my car does get attacked by the rascals, I'll find a way to install them.

Quote:
If you have some spare lying, do cover/tape the brake fluid reservoir cover. I have seen that its made of semi flexible kind of material in some cars and rats have tried to chew that cover in my figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
A second line of defense in case the fence is breached - Man! These Mumbai rats must be ferocious.
Check this article out. Mumbai has a very severe problem. Rats can affect the reliability & safety (electrical fire) of a car.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 11:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

GTO, that spiky car border of yours - are those metal spikes? Isn't there a risk of bare-footed kids stepping on it while playing?
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 12:24   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
GTO, that spiky car border of yours - are those metal spikes? Isn't there a risk of bare-footed kids stepping on it while playing?
No kids playing in that area, leave aside bare-footed ones. Only my cars are parked in the building and the watchman has been instructed to disallow anyone playing around the car (or in the compound).

But yes, in crowded housing societies, having this spiked border won't be possible.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 16:39   #10
BHPian

In case the rubber hoses or wiring harness needs inspection can this tape be re-used after removing it?
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big shoutout to Johannskaria for sharing this product
Glad that it helped and also to know that the Indian Rodents are not immune to this!
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 00:07   #12
BHPian

Nice! Guess a liberal coat of pepper spray too should have a similar effect for short periods at least.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 02:14   #13
BHPian

@GTO congrats, I hope your rat issue is resolved. I want add something here:

Since last 2 months Rats have been a big menace in our apartment, they have chewed almost everyone's car except mine. My neighbour's New brezza was billed close to 30k, Verna 16k, Ritz 6k and list goes on.

Actually I did nothing, but I noticed why they didn't attack my cars, my both cars are new and I recently did 3M under chassis treatment and you know that smell underneath, the rubbery chemical is too rough and when inhaled you can choke, I think it's because of this Rats are keeping distance. If something like this is coated once / twice a month, the Rats may not enter the cars.
johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 02:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
... ... ... I recently did 3M under chassis treatment and you know that smell underneath, the rubbery chemical is too rough and when inhaled you can choke, I think it's because of this Rats are keeping distance. If something like this is coated once / twice a month, the Rats may not enter the cars.
Interesting theory, but wouldn't it get a bit expensive? And wouldn't the coating soon get too thick?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 02:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Interesting theory, but wouldn't it get a bit expensive? And wouldn't the coating soon get too thick?
Expensive, yes it will be. Actually when you take for 5yrs warranty from 3M, they have 6 months checkup, we may request for lite single coat for free, but if done every month, you may have to pay I guess. What I am saying is, if not 3M, something similar and cost effective which can be applied to keep the cars safe. Just like we take car for regular service, we may need to schedule this every 30-40days once to get this done.
johnruben is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks