Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th September 2019, 18:49   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've been using Micro Fogs for last 2 and half years as well as Mini V3 in headlamps for last 3 months. My fog lamp high beam is connected to the low beam of headlights and there is a switch to control it. Basically I can switch on high beam of fogs even when I'm using low beam of headlights just by flick of a switch. Details of wiring in my ownership thread.
Can you activate high beam of fog if headlight is not switched on ? Cause what I am understanding is that the power to the switch for high beam of fog is coming from low beam female socket. If headlight is not switched on, then fog high beam can also not be switched on.
kunwar.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 19:17   #242
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: XP Micro: Bi-Xenon Projector Foglamps. EDIT: Terrible experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
Can you activate high beam of fog if headlight is not switched on ?
No. The Micro Fogs will work only in low beam if headlights are not switched on.

Quote:
Cause what I am understanding is that the power to the switch for high beam of fog is coming from low beam female socket. If headlight is not switched on, then fog high beam can also not be switched on.
You are correct. My earliest connection was directly from battery through a switch. This was changed after it was left in power on mode inadvertently and drained the battery once. Then I took power from headlights high beam. But then to activate high beam of fogs, I would have to switch to high beam. Therefore I came to this current setup. Moreover, I have too much intensity of headlights now so I doubt if I need to switch on Micro Fog high beam also.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 21:04   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Did you add an inline fuse or something? Effectively the same wiring is now doing extra work than what was designed, right? When in high-beam (not just flash), the solenoid will continue to draw power to remain in position. Or thats all taken care of in the stock wiring quality & no need to worry much? I have no idea - curious because I'm thinking of doing this setup in my car in a couple of months.
I don't think such a complex setup will be required to power the solenoid. It hardly draws any major power. I am using it since past six months and have not suffered any problems so far.
A friend also has an Aspire and was using LED lights in the main headlamps. Sometimes, the headlights used to switch off randomly in his car and later we found that headlamp circuit in the Aspire/Figo/Freestyle is controlled by the BCM and the BCM switches off the circuit if the load is more than the specified limit. It has not happened with me till now, and thus I believe that the solenoid is consuming almost negligible power, which can be handled by the stock wiring.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 21:06   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
No. The Micro Fogs will work only in low beam if headlights are not switched on..
Okay. The way I have it wired is I can use Fog high beam seperately if HL is on low. Also if fog is on and I used HL high beam, the fog solenoid also get activated

I used a diode on the power line to fog solenoid from seperate switch and a diode to the power coming from high beam of headlight. Both are connected to the solenoid wire of fogs directly.

So if Fog is off, and I flash high beam, only the solenoid of fog will work, the HID ballast and Bulb will be off.

When both fog and HL are on and I want to flash to alert opposite direction vehicle or to get side, the effect is quite bright.

Only issue is if I want HL to be on High and Fog to be on low, I can't do that in current set-up, though I never felt the need of it. What I have found is Fog in high and HL on low is usable in city without creating issues for all, provided the fog is aligned correctly and not high.
kunwar.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 10:51   #245
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the comments and support on this thread. My review of the iPHCAR Projector Fog Lamps is out now: Link
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote