Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2018, 11:46   #46
BANNED

Re: Tissue box in your car - Useful or useless?

I have kept a box of tissues in my car for over 30 years. You rarely need it, but when you do, it is invaluable. In fact I prefer cloth tissues. More useful in case os spills.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 12:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

One of those uniquely Indian habits, displaying a box of tissues on the dash, an area that should be left empty primarily because of the danger of it getting dislodged and interfering with the car's controls. And of course the presence of airbags which can turn that harmless looking box into a projectile.

Looking back a few decades this trend started with the introduction of the Maruti 800s in the '80s which had a dashboard while the previous Ambassadors, Fiat 1100 D variants/Premier Padminis, Standard Heralds et al did not have any place on the dash to place a box of tissues (which weren't freely available back then) or any other article for that matter.

I keep a couple of kitchen rolls in the car, one in the glove compartment and the second in the boot. These are far stronger, larger and useful to wipe your hands, mop up anything on the floor, wipe the engine oil dipstick among other things. And the wife carries a pack of wet tissues in her purse. There are no loose articles anywhere on the dash OR in the driver's and passenger footwell. If you MUST have a box of tissues handy place it on the rear parcel shelf in a sedan making sure it is restrained. Or buy one of those (plastic) tissue packets and store them in the door pockets or seat pockets.

Safety comes first, convenience second.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th June 2018 at 12:45.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 13:00   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I just keep a small pack of tissues (like 10-12) in the car. It's small enough to fit in the glovebox, and when it's needed - they really come in handy!
Old 20th June 2018, 13:22   #49
BHPian

Hello
when you mostly travel with young kids/toddlers tissues are really handy ! Yes I keep a box as spare in the boot/parcel tray and have had this tissue holder which can be fixed in the sun visor of the passenger side and can hold about 50 pieces.
Wet wipes too are always a part of the kit though have finally managed to move on from the Johnson & Johnson baby ones :-)
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 13:32   #50
BHPian

I don't have a tissue box in my car. I do always have a 8-10 pages of newspaper in the boot along with a 1.5l discarded fizz drink bottle almost always filled to the brim with regular water and trusty old microfiber towel.

I have got tissue box a few times from Shell pumps but I never used them, i ended up taking them to my office desk and got used to wipe the spilled coffee or wipe the laptop etc.
Old 20th June 2018, 14:14   #51
BHPian

I have moved from tissue box to a full time water bottle and a small towel. I keep drinking water, even though it could be for anything including cleaning bird droppings. A specifically designated bottle for this use ensures that we do not use it otherwise. Drinking water is to take care of emergency and mistake in identifying by others.
Old 20th June 2018, 15:34   #52
BHPian

I find a tissue box useless, so I don’t have them in my car, instead a regular water bottle is handy. I used to have a tissue box in my car, but kept tossing them from boot to glove box to back seat while cleaning the car. Finally, I got the rid of the box and started using water and a small towel or newspapers.
Old 20th June 2018, 15:58   #53
BHPian

I can't live without tissues in my car. I find them very handy to dispose chewing gums, clean wipe hands after a light snack, and few times to clean off bird droppings. It is more useful for my 2 year old daughter since I need to clean the seats whenever she spills something.

I usually keep the Origami or Paseo tissue box exactly at the center of the dash so that it is within my reach always.
Old 20th June 2018, 16:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I have made it a habit carrying a fresh small pack of wet tissues on every long drive. If I open and use it then I discard/use up the remaining ones as they dry quickly. This along with a hand sanitizer and water bottles have been enough on any trip.

For car cleaning, I carry spare windscreen washer sachets, few shampoo sachets, a dirty and a clean rag cotton cloth and water bottles at all times. These water bottles always stay filled in my car and are apart from the fresh drinking water that carry for the trip.

Whenever I carry food, I keep a few paper napkins in the same box for use immediately after eating.
Old 20th June 2018, 16:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Wow, we have a thread discussing if this Tissue is an issue
I like most people, used to keep a tissue box in my car, it was used rarely.

I cant keep it anymore since my 3 year old just pulls out the tissues and creates a mess.Have reverted to keeping wet tissues instead, small pouches as and when needed to minimize waste.

IMO, its more of a habit and can be totally avoided.

Last edited by silverado : 20th June 2018 at 16:16.
Old 20th June 2018, 17:14   #56
BHPian

I usually keep baby wipes of Chicco brand which are quite useful in cleaning interiors specially in a spill case which happens frequently with my boy. Apart from this one will always find tissues in my car as we use to eat a lot inside.
I recently kept glass cleaner with microfiber clothes which are quite useful in long outstation trips.
Old 20th June 2018, 18:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

I for one can't live without a box of tissues inside the car, and its always kept in the glove box. A cofy stain in the fingers, water spilt on clothes when car is in motion and taking a turn or a bump, snacks that my son eats in the car, a can of soft drinks that is condensed and wet outside, the nail polish or anything else that the missus does - the tissue comes in real handy. I also keep a pack of Wet tissues as well, in the glove box all times.
Old 20th June 2018, 18:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

All the cars I have owned have a box of tissues and it has been extremely useful to the point that I actually go through a couple of boxes in each car.

Be it wiping bird poo off a door handle, or a spill from a hapless toddler or a drinks bottle or a quick buff of leftover wax I have found it extremely handy to have it in the vehicle. I also prefer to keep it quite accessible too and you mostly find it on the parcel tray of my vehicles.

This and a cloth/microfiber in the driver side door pocket are staples that are inconvenient when not present.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 15:04   #59
BHPian

For me, tissue boxes are those items that are forgotten/ignored until required. I personally keep dry tissues in the back parcel tray (standard placement! ) since i can never say when i may need it. I tried keeping wet tissues, but the summer heat actually dried up the wet tissues! So went back to regular paper box tissues. In addition i have 2 microfiber clothes (tucked away in the front door storage) and a bottle of water. I like to use tissues instead of the cloth as i can dispose them after use (typically cleaning/wiping activities).

OT: Talking about the summer heat, about a month back, my windshield water spray seems to have evaporated in the heat! I tried using it one day and nothing came out. Had to refill the water and then it was fine. I often have to park the Tiago by the side of my office building, if i reach late and all the covered/basement parking spaces are taken.

Last edited by DriverR : 21st June 2018 at 15:07.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks