Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 10:01   #1
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need your help for a Baleno. My cousin is planning to buy one and it would be on a company lease option. The company budget limits her to buy a Baleno LXi.

Now between the variants she would want some of the stuff which is there on VXi. Here I would like your advise on the merits and cost of getting the conversion done with a place in Bangalore for the same. Here is the list of differences between variants.

Leather steering cover - Will get it done at a known place
Automatic climate control - Is it really required for driving predominantly in Bangalore ?
Rear spoiler - Is it a standard MGA ? What is the approx cost ?
Stylish alloy wheels - What is the approx cost for these ? And are the tyres different to what is found on LXi ?
Front seat height adjuster (driver's side) - Is it possible to get it done on LXi ?
Remote keyless entry - Is it the same as Central locking ? If it is not can somebody explain what this means ?
Rear window demister - Would be interested in this one. How much would this cost ?

Many Thanks
Bullfrog
Old 25th October 2006, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Rear spoiler - Is it a standard MGA ? What is the approx cost ?. Spoiler costs 2 - 4 K

Automatic climate control - Is it really required for driving predominantly in Bangalore ?
It can not be fitted as after market fitment. Plus i dont feel the use of climatic control lol

Stylish alloy wheels - What is the approx cost for these ? And are the tyres different to what is found on LXi ?
Alloys will cost around 15K plus i will suggest go for upsized tyres with aloys,

Front seat height adjuster (driver's side) - Is it possible to get it done on LXi ?
Not sure but must be possible by swaping the seat with VXi

Remote keyless entry - Is it the same as Central locking ? If it is not can somebody explain what this means ?
Remote keyless entry has lock and unlock button son the key and car can opened/closed from a distance whereas Centeral locking is locking the whole car manually from driver door.

Rear window demister - Would be interested in this one. How much would this cost ?
For this to be done the whole back mirror has to be changed + if the wiring and switch is not present in the car it will cost extra. Most probably the car will have the necessary wiring etc. Cant comment on the cost may be around 2K + your old mirror.

Hope this helps.
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Hey Guys,

Need your help for a Baleno. My cousin is planning to buy one and it would be on a company lease option. The company budget limits her to buy a Baleno LXi.

Now between the variants she would want some of the stuff which is there on VXi. Here I would like your advise on the merits and cost of getting the conversion done with a place in Bangalore for the same. Here is the list of differences between variants.

Many Thanks
Bullfrog
Old 25th October 2006, 13:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Leather steering cover - Will get it done at a known place Apprx rs 1000

Automatic climate control - Is it really required for driving predominantly in Bangalore ? Not possible to get it done from outside but not required all that much either. It's useful but one can live without it.

Rear spoiler - Is it a standard MGA ? What is the approx cost ? If you get it put from outside then around 2 - 4K. MGA is quite expensive

Stylish alloy wheels - What is the approx cost for these ? And are the tyres different to what is found on LXi ? The LXi come with 13" tyres - 165/80R13 and the VXi comes with 14" tyres - 185/65R14. An upgrade would cost around 20K if done from outside. (Price inclusive of alloys and under exchange with old tyres)

Front seat height adjuster (driver's side) - Is it possible to get it done on LXi ? I don't think this is possible

Remote keyless entry - Is it the same as Central locking ? If it is not can somebody explain what this means ? It is central locking but comes with a remote so one doesn't have to pt the key into the lock. One can use the remote to lock/unlock the car. Apprx. price - 3K for a good one from Autocop.

Rear window demister - Would be interested in this one. How much would this cost ? No idea

Cheers

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th October 2006 at 13:47.
Old 25th October 2006, 18:42   #4
GTS
BHPian

Climate control is a feature for hypothyroid individuals who cant stand the ac even with the fan at speed 1

The MGA spoiler costs 9500 bucks which one can do without. The rear of the Baleno does look good with a spoiler but the problem is once the spoiler is fixed and for some reason (God forbid) is broken, then you need to fix another one. (what else would one do if there are two or three holes on the boot). Besides a pal told me that rear spoilers which are not OE tend to get loose often (vibration/opening and closing of the boot) and one needs to keep tightening it regularly.

Rear window demister - Would be interested in this one.
This isnt possible I guess, but not too sure
Old 31st October 2006, 17:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents here.. I have a Baleno LXi

I bought one that is wrapped around the steering with a thread.. cost 500 Rs for a Stanles cover and has a decent feel

Not really.. the slider works as well...just that you need to adjust the setting a bit to get the right temperature..and will need to change the setting if ambient temperature changes

The MGA spoiler was 15K when I bought the car.. I bought an aftermarket spioiler for Rs 2.2K and paid another 500 Rs to change it..it is working pretty well..no rattles in 20K Kms till now..

I paid Rs 26k for an exhcange upgrade to 14"alloys and 185/65R14 Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Tubeless Tyres... (five pieces.). The Key is to talk to a few tyrewallah's in advance and fix and exchange price... alternatively ..if yolu like the designs..you can purchase the alloys from the Maruti Dealer too (I hated the designs they had). www.league.com.tw has some good designs

No clue.. but guess if you change the seat (cost around 26k) it should be possible...though unless you are very short..will not need it..since the steering is height adjustible in Lxi

Dont need to insert the key..as opposed to others..where you need to insert the key.

No clue...
Old 31st October 2006, 17:52   #6
BHPian

I am not an expert on the Baleno, but what I can tell you is that a friend got a Baleno about three months back and he bargained with Sai Service Bombay and they fitted a spoiler on his LXI for free (he was not getting any financial discounts so he took what he could get). It looks identical to a VXI spoiler. Just that now he has two Central what you call them brake lights.
Old 31st October 2006, 18:42   #7
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Leather steering cover - Ensure the cobbler who does that is a skilled guy! The VXi's original leather wrapped steering wheel has fine machine stitches -- gives a great feel!

Automatic climate control. This is a proper computer controlled feedback control system.
At full power, the Baleno's a/c can freeze your nose and ears and dry-out your eyes on a three-hour long drive. Some people with cars of other brands with weaker a/cs drive'em with full blast all the time. I set my VXi to 25 degrees Celsius and leave it on all the time. At 05:30 am in the morning at Khandala, when the ambient is itself at 24-25, the Climate Control economizes by temporarily shutting down the compressor.

Rear spoiler. There may be better imported spoilers made of ABS plastic with bright red LEDs, but there are also cheapie Chinese spoilers that spoil the appearance. As long as you can select something better than what Maruti provides, you're OK.

Stylish alloy wheels: Yes the tires are lower profile and bigger and wider than what is found on LXi.

And again you can select better and more expensive rubber and better and more expensive imported alloys (e.g. BBS) but also poorer and cheaper Chinese alloys. The Baleno VXi has Indian made Hindalco Aura 11-spoke asymmetric alloys.

And should some careless driver unfortunately damage one of your wheels, Aura is willing to sell you just one piece.

Rear window demister. This is extremely useful in the Indian monsoon. You're best off buying a Maruti Genuine and wiring it up. I would even wire in an auto-shutoff timer.

The silver finish fascia garnish of the VXi is sharp too. You should be able to get one from Maruti.
And how about a matching leather and aluminium gearshift knob?

Ram
Old 3rd December 2006, 15:21   #8
BHPian

hey guys ,is there any method to increase the seat height?? no need for adjustable feature...when i enquired at the dealers they said its not suggested as vibrations will crop up.....really need to raise the seat as im a short guy
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
hey guys ,is there any method to increase the seat height?? no need for adjustable feature...when i enquired at the dealers they said its not suggested as vibrations will crop up.....really need to raise the seat as im a short guy

Get a seat cover n stuff extra cushion

I think the Lancer spoiler looks better on a Baleno than the stock ones
Old 4th December 2006, 10:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I bought an aftermarket spioiler for Rs 2.2K and paid another 500 Rs to change it..it is working pretty well..no rattles in 20K Kms till now..
How did you manage to get this aftermarket spoiler for 2.2k? Did you get it from some accessories shop? I checked one spoiler which was not painted and it had some small cracks. The shop guy says that he can cover it up with some metal paste. Do you suggest me to go for that? Please throw some light on that friend....
Old 24th December 2006, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
How did you manage to get this aftermarket spoiler for 2.2k? Did you get it from some accessories shop? I checked one spoiler which was not painted and it had some small cracks. The shop guy says that he can cover it up with some metal paste. Do you suggest me to go for that? Please throw some light on that friend....
All aftermarket spoilers come in white color and need to be painted. I got mine painted by Maruti Service center and they did a pretty decent job I must add.
I bought this from minister road in Hyd. I suggest that you go ahead if there are no CRACKS but a few scratches on the unpainted bumper are OK as they will get civered during painting
Old 24th December 2006, 19:19   #12
BHPian

hi bullfrog, what about fog lamps?didnt see u mention about that, my suggetion if you would be intrested is go for hella "micro", which is a correct fitment for the baleno fog lamp slot[i have this on my baleno], the o.e 1 which is a stanley[japan] is 13k, but hella[german] original would b only 3k.......pls dont go for the cheap localy made 1's which spoils the look as well as water seeps in at rainy season, the only advantage is, it would be less than rs.500/-.
Old 25th December 2006, 18:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
..... go for hella "micro", which is a correct fitment for the baleno fog lamp slot
Absolutely agree on this Dilip (Those are not "fog lamps" though, think you meant the extra lights on the bumper )

The hellas also have a blueish tint to it which looks really cool sometimes.
Old 25th December 2006, 22:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Bullfrog

Hi

Use caution while doing this, I also thought of doing this to my Lxi too, But met someone who had done it already, Due to the inner rear break light and the additional one on the spoiler it looked a little out of place.

The second option is to remove the inner break light, which will leave 2 ungly holes in the rear tray....

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks