Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:39   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: To-be-avoided Car Accessories

My addition to the list - Rubber and chrome strips on bumper corners and doors that are supposed to prevent scratches. Agreed they may help in preventing the odd scratch or two, but they look far worse than small scratches here and there .
Santoshbhat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:44   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: To-be-avoided Car Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Also, one thing which annoys me the most is loud exhausts and L-O-U-D music systems. Now, can a 1st-gen City or Zen ever sound like a Lambo? Very idiotic way of seeking attention.
I love both . Can't imagine ever owning a petrol car without a sweet-sounding free flow exhaust, and always listen to music loud (with the glasses rolled up).

Neither are for attention. They are for my pleasure only.

No Lamborghini 12-cylinder magic, yet for a regular sedan, you have to admit this sounds good. I was so addicted to the sound .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Agreed they may help in preventing the odd scratch or two, but they look far worse than small scratches here and there .
Hahahaha! Well said.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:45   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

My pet hates and avoid-at-all-costs accessories or mods:

a) Blue tinted 'xenon' headlamp bulbs
b) HID bulbs in non-projector reflector assemblies or in assemblies not designed for such bulbs
c) Reverse horns
d) Names of family/children and political affiliations on the rear windscreen
e) Large metal spoilers on boot lid
f) Lace curtains on the windows and rear windshield
g) Dark tints/film
h) Flashing brake lamp LEDs
i) Bull bars
j) Fancy number/registration plates including those in vernacular languages
k) Coloured interior courtesy lamps
l) Last but not the least fake T-BHP stickers!!
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:25   #34
BHPian

Similar thread exists, where such accessories have been discussed to death:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cessories.html

akash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great thread idea, thanks for sharing! Here's my list of stupid accessories.

1. Brand name stickers on your car when you don't even have those parts installed (e.g. Brembo, Bridgestone, Mugen stickers on the side). What's even worse is seeing a 'Ralliart' sticker on a Maruti (or any non-Mitsubishi)!
There's a fair number of BMWs with these stickers and I love them. Drives your point home!

To-be-avoided Car Accessories-483243752_o.jpg
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
3. Bull Bars
Well i have seen a lot many suggestions to stay away from front bull bar. What about the one offered as an official accessory, is it engineered enough in order to not impact the airbag deployment or the companies are just minting money without counting on car dynamics and tech.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:15   #37
BHPian

Personally, I find the aftermarket dazzling headlights in high-beam and loud dual-tone horn quite distasteful. Momentarily disorients the other users on road and is a real hazard.

Rest is the owner's privilege, can as well paste a BMW sticker on an auto - the phut-phut from the two-cylinder engine may let out the secret though
anurag.somani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

One more : Some people stick idols/stickers of Deities right on the console blocking speedometer and other useful indicators. Perfectly stupid !
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 22:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This reminded me of a picture which was doing rounds over whatsapp couple of years ago.

Some oversmart person had tried to scan and make copies of popular TBHP stickers.

Attachment 1611662
Yes I have seen many on cars but those fade over time. I have seen pale yellow live to drive logo. I have one for 3 years on my car on the bumper and it has not faded at all. to Team-BHP for excellent quality.

One accessory I hate is

Excessively bright LED lamps on bikes & cars.
To-be-avoided Car Accessories-led9.jpg
Apologies for using this image from a T-BHP friend since that is what google returns on search, but yes i do not like these lights at all.
Commonly found on bikes and even cars. Most of the times these are placed at stupid locations and weird angles that are extremely irritating for oncoming traffic. Bikes are overdone with 3-4 of these. I find these extremely stupid.
Alternatives:
Best is to avoid these completely. If you want these fix them and use them responsibly so that one does not harm oncoming traffic.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2017 at 12:25. Reason: Re-uploading image so it fits on the page properly.
naikameya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 01:13   #40
BHPian

For me the following get my goat and are sure signs of an imbecile:-

1. Police siren as horn.
2. Blue/red led blinkers behind windscreen ( like the ones in FBI vehicles in Hollywood movies)
3. Flag staff along with red/orange light on non-government/non-official vehicles.
4. Extremely bright LED bars placed on top of autorikshaws and SUVs.
5. Strobe lights used in place of headlamps on bikes and autorikshaws.
6. Sunroof with kids sticking their heads out of it while their parents shamelessly drive at high speeds.
7. Swivel ball on steering ( especially on the steering wheels with airbag)
8. Tissue box or trinkets on dashboard airbag cover.
9. Road side chipkoo blinds all around supposedly to give a Jhugi ( slum hut ) effect in the car.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 11:32   #41
BHPian

My list of the must No-No's is as follows,

1. Wheel caps of non reputed makes / not an authorized accessory by car makers : –

These caps are mounted on wheels using either a single screw type mount or press-to-lock types. In both cases the wheel caps loosen out and detach from the wheels after few hours of spinning. These caps once detached just fly off and can become potential hazards. They can hit a fellow cyclist/ biker, windscreen of an oncoming car or even a pedestrian.

2. LED border frames running along front /rear wind shields.

The blinking/ color changing LED borders ornamented on rear wind shields create an aura around the rear wind screen and seriously hamper rearward visibility through IRVM’s during night.

3. Unknown tyres:

There are several tyres available in the market supplied by Chinese manufacturers that seemingly pretend as cost effective alternative to well known brands. Albeit these tyres perform apparently very well during the first few days (thus creating a sense of temporary satisfaction to the buyers) however there lies a hidden treasure of unknown dangers which can open up at any point of time thereby posing grave threats to the vehicle occupants and/ or co-users of the road.

4. Fancy horns:

Yes, fancy horns mimicking the vocals of a child such as crying, laughing etc., despite being banned, are still rampant and are being used vehemently by spoilt kids displaying their arrogance. These horns, when used, create confusion amongst road users and may result into a hazard.

5. Flag posts:

Most taxi’s such as Tavera’s, Innova’s etc., can be seen fitted with a flag post on left side of the front bumper. Apparently, the driver uses these posts to figure out the exact position of their car’s front end so as to aid maneuvering and parking. However these posts contain substantial portions of sharp and unprotected edges, which in cases of minor unintentional hits, can pierce through the skin causing deep injuries.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 24th February 2017 at 11:38.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Steering wheel spinner knob AKA Suicide knob.
Yes!! Absolutely ridiculous accessory. I have even seen people use their palm to turn the steering wheel instead of gripping the wheel. It is not only dangerous but also look stupid as if you are spreading some sauce over a large pizza.

My list of ridiculous contraptions ---
1. Very long/large hanging decorations from the IRVM. It has the potential to obscure the view of driver. I have one too of a spiderman but it is small and does not hinder my view.
2. Mobile holders on the dash board or attached to the windscreen. It is a big big distraction in my opinion.
3. Tissue holders or coin boxes over the dash board especially on the passenger dashboard with air bags.
4. Seat cushions in the back side on the tray behind the seat or above the boot. Severely restricts visibility through IRVM.
5. Sun shades that covers the entire front window overlapping the ORVM section. Restricts visibility through the ORVMs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2017 at 00:25. Reason: Fixing quote tags
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:35   #43
BHPian

To-be-avoided Car Accessories-_57.jpg

To-be-avoided Car Accessories-maxresdefault.jpg

Simply hate these lamp covers that are now seen on each and every Enfield Bullet out there. What originally started with the main headlamp have now taken over the rear stop lamp, the side indicator lamps and even the tiny position lamps!

Not only do they drastically reduce the light throw and visibility, but are also an absolute eyesore
vikash49 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 16:01   #44
BHPian

Not an harmful accessory but I absolutely hate people putting up the Mystery Spot stickers on the car at various places. Makes me want to tear em right off
Old 24th February 2017, 16:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Steering wheel spinner knob AKA Suicide knob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

Attachment 1611652

Had the misfortune of driving around in a cousin's Swift with one of these contraptions fitted. Absolute nightmare!

Alternative:

Don't be lazy, use both hands!
I personally would'nt totally agree to this. I use one regularly and its a boon while parking or while going into or out of basements, taking u-turns. However these big ones are trouble, yes. I use the iPop mini and it does not have the suicidal characteristics.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th February 2017 at 16:11.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed