Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2004, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Has anybody done any mods on the optra 1.8 yet? I am looking to improve its acceleration!
Old 29th June 2004, 15:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Except for free flow and little adjustment in chip I don't think you can do much.
GM Also may not agree with any tinkering like this. Unless you're outside warranty period, which is very unlikely.
Aceleration according to me is nothing wrong considering a mass of 1260kg.
Old 29th June 2004, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (BikerSG @ June 29 2004,23:40)]I am looking to improve its acceleration!
If performance is really that important to you then the easiest way is to increase the power to weight ratio of your car. The only way to do that without changing your power output is to strip your car to the bare minimum.

As our Admin found out, free flows aren't really as safe as we make it to be.
Read this..........
http://www.team-bhp.com/cgi-bin....;t=2118

For better handling, there's nothing like a set of grippy rubber.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 29th June 2004, 15:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ June 29 2004,14:17)]The only way to do that without changing your power output is to strip your car to the bare minimum.
Which I'm sure you don't like to do.
More than half the reason you got this car is for it's comfort.
A good set of tyres. Yes sure!!
Old 1st July 2004, 01:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

how abt a turbo charger ?
which would give abt 20 % more power to keep the fuel consumption in consideration
Old 12th December 2006, 02:49   #6
BHPian

I just put a K&N performace filter and a free flow exhaust in 1.8 Optra, car feels lighter and reaches 3000 rpm faster then before .. however i feel engine vibrations are more then before .. tomorrow i will test on lowe RPMs .. not sure if it really helped or its only cycological as i spend 22000 to do this mod.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:02   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhiraj View Post
I just put a K&N performace filter and a free flow exhaust in 1.8 Optra, car feels lighter and reaches 3000 rpm faster then before .. however i feel engine vibrations are more then before .. tomorrow i will test on lowe RPMs .. not sure if it really helped or its only cycological as i spend 22000 to do this mod.
Where did you get the job done? Could you give a cost break up please? I think you've paid too much.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
You mean the vibration that you feel on the pedels. I think you would have to compramise something for the growl you get... I did the freeflow and induction for my S10 and its like its always angry, always boiling.. I think its really sweet.. but above 3000 rpm, its music... the engine beats just sink and all you hear is base..sheer base...
Old 20th December 2006, 03:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Where did you get the job done? Could you give a cost break up please? I think you've paid too much.
I feel that too after reading stuff in here .. i got this done in Delhi .. Exhaust is Titanium coated made by TITTO (i belive its Japanese but made in Thailand) cost is 10,000 and Cone shaped K&N RX series (i think) for 7,500 and a Small little Turbulance fan - Surbo from Elevo in the intake pipe for 4,500
Old 20th December 2006, 03:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
You mean the vibration that you feel on the pedels. I think you would have to compramise something for the growl you get... I did the freeflow and induction for my S10 and its like its always angry, always boiling.. I think its really sweet.. but above 3000 rpm, its music... the engine beats just sink and all you hear is base..sheer base...
By Vibrations i mean when the car is standing still at 0.8K RPM i can feel the gear shift knob vibrate more then it use to do before, i can see water in water bottle vibrating slowly .. i never remember seeing it before .. may be its only in my mind but just curious since more Air in going inside engine why will it not make it vibrate more .. after all the explosion inside the piston chambers should be relasing more force now and it should technically make engine vibrate more .. .. long drives make my head go for spin because of this Exhaust .. just got it off my car and put back the stock .. much more silent now .. any takers for this TITTO Free Flow exhaust used for a week in Optra ?? I will give it cheap .. it looks nice have a nice base sound .. just that it was not meant for me i guess ..
Old 20th December 2006, 10:33   #11
BANNED

Quote:
I feel that too after reading stuff in here .. i got this done in Delhi .. Exhaust is Titanium coated made by TITTO (i belive its Japanese but made in Thailand) cost is 10,000 and Cone shaped K&N RX series (i think) for 7,500 and a Small little Turbulance fan - Surbo from Elevo in the intake pipe for 4,500

Oh dear. Surbo strikes again.

Gdhiraj, Surbo is a hoax that unscrupulous tuners scam unsuspecting customers with. It has no performance value whatsoever and might even end up decreasing performance. You've also been badly overcharged for the K&N. Not sure about your muffler, but I think you've been taken for a ride there too.

Btw, who was your tuner? I think it will help others stay away from him.
Old 20th December 2006, 11:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with Boom, even i am curious to know who carried out the mods in question in your car???... Is it Nivit from Hyperformance by any chance???
Old 20th December 2006, 14:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dhiraj - In all probability the increased vibrations were due to a bad installation job from your tuner. The exhaust must have been touching the body somewhere & causing the vibrations. Also the Surbo, Volt Stabilizer etc. that you bought (I've a good idea from where) are nothing but hoax. They have no effect on your car's performance & are just there to fool people. Please stay away from such phony tuners.

For more info you can read this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t=lancer+turbo
Old 20th December 2006, 14:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Oh dear. Surbo strikes again.

Gdhiraj, Surbo is a hoax that unscrupulous tuners scam unsuspecting customers with. It has no performance value whatsoever and might even end up decreasing performance. You've also been badly overcharged for the K&N. Not sure about your muffler, but I think you've been taken for a ride there too.

I understand and i guess i will get the surbo out of the install .. thanks for information guys .. appreciate it ..
Old 20th December 2006, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I agree with Boom, even i am curious to know who carried out the mods in question in your car???... Is it Nivit from Hyperformance by any chance???
No it was not Nivit ... i talked to him on phone though and he seems to be quite knowledgable in these things, i am planning to visit to him to get the car checked and take his suggestions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks