Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2017, 15:15   #16
BHPian

Re: After-market Puddle Lamps?

I have installed a fancy Hyundai logo ghost lights on the underside of my i20s front doors. Its a 1cm diameter projector kind of light that has good illumination. I had initially wanted to add them to the ORVMs, but since they are electrically foldable and adjustable, the FNG advised against any type of drilling and stuff. Of course, adding an LED strip would help but again, some drilling is required for wiring. The door lights are connected to the centre cabin lights (which I changed to LEDs) and are only activated when the doors are opened or if the car is unlocked.

The disadvantage of the door lamps is that they are pretty useless when you are getting into your car but are pretty useful when you are getting out. Puddle lamps are useful in both these scenarios.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Instead of installing them under the ORVMs like in Skodas, why not install them under the doors like in most cars? That way all four doors will be able to illuminate their surroundings if opened in the dark and it would not take much in the way of constantly having to adjust the light, since in the case of ORVM mounted puddle lamps, the door itself tends to block some of the light and the lamp with need to be carefully adjusted.
Old 10th March 2017, 16:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I have installed a fancy Hyundai logo ghost lights on the underside of my i20s front doors. .
Hi,

Could you please give me a heads-up on where to source these from, would love to install them on my Grand-i10 too. Thanks!
Old 10th March 2017, 16:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Hi,

Could you please give me a heads-up on where to source these from, would love to install them on my Grand-i10 too. Thanks!
All my after-market installations are purchased from my trusted FNG in Hyderabad. I am sure you would find these online in ebay and amazon as well. Here is one example.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XJ5M544/r...dai+logo+light

In these online forums, I think you can even choose your colour. (Mine are Blue since they compliment my white car nicely). Please remember that my FNG recommended drilling them into the underside of the car doors but there are some available with a self-adhesive as well, but don't know how durable they are. Its been 2.5 years now and they are still going strong.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 18:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching the snaps for reference.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115200.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115353.jpg
A very crude way to fix the wires, I have directly attached them to the bulb holder.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115450.jpg
Wire routed through the roof liner and A pillar.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_114907350_hdr.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115744.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115833.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4387.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_20170310_115945.jpg
Wire was taken inside the door and a drill hole made to bring it outside.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4398.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4397.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4391.jpg

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4396.jpg
Playing with camera.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-img_4402.jpg
My favorite shot, this is how it looks when doors are shut.

It might not look great aesthetically but it's very practical. Will do something similar in a better way in my Brezza.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th March 2017 at 18:49. Reason: Attaching the snaps.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 10:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Attachment 1617336
A very crude way to fix the wires, I have directly attached them to the bulb holder.
I would suggest to get the exposed wire properly insulated with a heat shrink or insulation tape and use an in-line fuse for betterment.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 17:02   #22
BHPian

You could also try something like this:

If you can open up your ORVM and reinstall correctly, wire the door light from there to the underside of the ORVM hole you've made.
Install a normal thin (in thickness) led strip/light on the ORVM underside; and then get a wrap over it - same color as the vehicle or something sporty.
Make holes/cutout in the wrap on the underside so that only the light is exposed. And so the wrap acts as both a cover and binder for the LED and it's wire.
Old 13th March 2017, 19:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Attaching the snaps for reference.

Attachment 1617335

Attachment 1617336

Attachment 1617337

Attachment 1617338

Attachment 1617339

Attachment 1617340

Attachment 1617366

Attachment 1617341
Wire was taken inside the door and a drill hole made to bring it outside.

Attachment 1617367

Attachment 1617368

Attachment 1617369

Attachment 1617370
Playing with camera.

Attachment 1617371
My favorite shot, this is how it looks when doors are shut.

It might not look great aesthetically but it's very practical. Will do something similar in a better way in my Brezza.

Thank you so much for these images. You did a pretty neat job there ! Im gonna start working on this from next weekend.

At the moment, I am looking for LEDs that have the right size and the right colour (warm white). It is really hard to figure out the actual size online and it looks like the warm white LEDs don't exist at all. All through the stores online, the only ones I see are bright white !!

I am a little skeptic in ordering from Aliexpress/Alibaba.com. Can somebody guide me on this ? How should I go about looking for hardware ?
Old 13th March 2017, 22:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Thank you so much for these images. You did a pretty neat job there ! Im gonna start working on this from next weekend.

I am a little skeptic in ordering from Aliexpress/Alibaba.com. Can somebody guide me on this ? How should I go about looking for hardware ?
All hardware is easy to procure and a DIY will not take much of time if the door panels can be opened up by you.

Try Amazon for those lights.
GCT WHITE 48 Chips COB LED Car Panel interior Roof Light / Dome Reading Lamp / Festoon https://www.amazon.in/dp/B019BGL6DI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7vTXybQZT3040
Old 15th March 2017, 13:34   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I too have a 2013 model swift and have been looking for something on similar lines. However, my initial plan was to get a LED strip installed in the footwells and under the ORVMs. The idea is to get some sort of illumination around the door while approaching the vehicle in dark.

Hopefully, I can find someone good enough to do the wiring so that the lights get activated along with the cabin light when unlocked.
Old 11th December 2017, 00:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti also has logo projector listed under its MGA. It is also sufficiently bright and can function as a puddle lamp IMO.

Attachment 1616641
This product is indeed mentioned on the Accessories brochure on MGA website: PDF Link

I am surprised to see that it is mentioned as compatible with Alto 800, but not Alto K10 I am very keen to install puddle lamps in my Alto K10 (2014). Should I write to Maruti?
Old 11th December 2017, 00:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
This product is indeed mentioned on the Accessories brochure on MGA website: PDF Link

I am surprised to see that it is mentioned as compatible with Alto 800, but not Alto K10 I am very keen to install puddle lamps in my Alto K10 (2014). Should I write to Maruti?
Don't worry. If you wish to get it, MSIL dealers will be more than happy to install it for you. I have seen many K10s(both previous and current gen) getting it installed.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:14   #28
BHPian

Stirring up an old thread. I have installed ghost lights in my Renault duster , but they start flickering after some time ( of opening the door) . Any possible leads why they are happening ? And how to prevent them?
Old 12th May 2020, 15:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Stirring up an old thread. I have installed ghost lights in my Renault duster , but they start flickering after some time ( of opening the door) . Any possible leads why they are happening ? And how to prevent them?
There could be 2 possibilities
1. The connection is loose.
2. The LEDs are failing now. (I guess the ghost lights are LED based.)

Check the connection, if it's fine then the LEDs may be failing.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:24   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Stirring up an old thread. I have installed ghost lights in my Renault duster, but they start flickering after some time ( of opening the door). Any possible leads to why they are happening? And how to prevent them?
LED's in that unit are failing and in the process to go bust. Flickering part is the initial stage, after a few days they'll die.

The puddle lamps that another BHPian installed along with me had this issue and in a month that LED unit did die.

Where did you buy them from?

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th May 2020 at 16:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks