Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2004, 15:37   #1
BHPian

Changing the steering wheel of my car

guys,
i own a icon flair and was considering if it will be worthwhile to go for the slightly smaller steering wheel that comes with the icon 1.6 SXi(will cost 2.5k). I am pretty happy with the *present steering wheel but was wondering if this would be even better.
Has anybody done this modification? Are there any problems that may crop up after this?

Old 29th April 2004, 22:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

no problems will crop up....change it if u want the steering looking more sportier and u drive like a maniac.!!!!

i have a sxi and the smaller steering .

no complaints!!!!
cheers
Old 29th April 2004, 23:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

As long as the steering diameter is the same you wont even feel the difference. But fitting a smaller steering will take a while getting used to. but it's no big deal really.

Go ahead.........

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 30th April 2004, 03:32   #4
BANNED

my friend recently got a sparco stering wheel for his ikon and i think it looks great. hey one hting to note ...see the one u get is u r comfy with it else it may prove a hassle later. also invest in good quality ones!!!
Old 30th April 2004, 09:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sid,

I have driven the ikon with the "small sporty steering-wheel"(that comes from ford), it is quite comfortable and fun, however the ikon does have a steering wheel that is rather firm to turn in comparison to some cars, and you say that you are happy with your current steering wheel, so i guess it is the question of if you think its really worth 2.5k !!

cya
Rehaan
Old 21st May 2004, 13:09   #6
Tom
BHPian

Guys!

What are the advantages of having a smaller steering wheel?
except the looks part of it....does it make driving easier?
Old 21st May 2004, 13:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hey Tom,

The smaller the steering wheel is the less you have to move your arms to get the same angle of turn on the steering column. Hence it allows more rapid inputs from the driver. (Also makes turning lock to lock a much faster process, usefull for hillclimbs and winding roads etc)
The disadvantage is that you have less leverage (but in the days of power-steering that is not a huge issue), and slightly less precision controll.
Thats all i can think of at the moment...

cya
R

Old 21st May 2004, 13:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

What are the advantages of having a smaller steering wheel?
Yes, an after-market steering wheel definitely looks better. Butttttttttttt its all a matter of personal preference in it making your driving experience better.

A smaller steering wheel will make your steering inputs that much quicker and sharper. I like it this way, and loved the change my Esteems smaller steering brought to the drive.

But beware, the steering also becomes significantly harder especially if you have wider rubber on your wheels. Not an issue with power steering equipped cars though. Another consideration is that, if you car has air-bags its better not to change the steering as you will lose that safety protection.

GTO
Old 21st May 2004, 15:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 21 2004,11:54)]Hey Tom,

The smaller the steering wheel is the less you have to move your arms to get the same angle of turn on the steering column. Hence it allows more rapid inputs from the driver. (Also makes turning lock to lock a much faster process, usefull for hillclimbs and winding roads etc)

cya
R
Hey rehaan,

I may be wrong, but aren't you mixing up changing the steer wheel diameter with actually changing the ratio itself (i.e. quickening the steering ratio).

Changing the diameter of the wheel alone will not affect the way a car turns in. It will not reduce the amount off turns required lock-to-lock, but will infact increase this.

A smaller wheel does however make it more sporty to drive and just gels a whole lot better when you drive fast!
Old 21st May 2004, 16:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech,

Nope, im not mixing up smaller diameter steering with different ratio.

Look at the cheapass diagram i have made, - where the wheel is rotated by 90degrees the distance you have to push the larger steering is much more than how much u have to move your arms to move the smaller steering, even though the angular distance is the same (90*)
Though it will get a bit harder due to less leverage and the law of moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]It will not reduce the amount off turns required lock-to-lock, but will infact increase this.
Ummm.....actually the amount of turns lock to lock will remain the same, its just that your arms move less! Lock-to-lock only changes if you change the Ratio.

heres the crappy diagram..sorry its 520am and i have clas at 8

cya
R

Old 21st May 2004, 16:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

Looked at it for the Vtec but not really worth it. I did it on my tata sierra - was well worth it on that.
Old 21st May 2004, 16:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

do'h! I was just sitting and thinking of this in my head after I posted that reply. You're right, i'm stupid!
Old 22nd May 2004, 00:35   #13

hi
theres no problem changing to a smaller wheel but u'll feel it a bit more heavier !!!
Old 19th July 2004, 18:26   #14
bhp
BHPian

i drive a ford ikon 1.6zxi . i wanted a hub and a momo steering wheel . the hub is not available with the local dealers in mumbai . i would like to know where can i get them and how much will it cost ??
Old 26th June 2010, 01:38   #15
BHPian

Is it possible to plonk a swift's or Wagon R's steering wheel in an Alto ??? Has anyone tried it ? Any changes required to do to the steering column ???

Last edited by 911turbo : 26th June 2010 at 01:40.

Most Viewed