Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 11:25   #136
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anything that costs more than a dealer-service-centre respray with company-supplied paint is just silly. Unless it contributes something really substantial, such as a beyond-amazing deep gloss that self-heals, for instance. And even that would be luxury spending for the deep pocketed.

The day something that gives a super gloss and absolutely repels dust, dirt, water, oil, bird crap, etc, to the extent that they just blow off in the breeze, and one never ever has to even wipe the car... I'd dig a little deep in the pocket for that one. It is probably on the way. And it will probably cost more money than is in my pocket anyway. For starters, the finishing company will never see those cars again!
I would partially agree to this. Repainting a car would mean completely stripping down the car. Even if you get this done at the most organised garages or MASS, dismantling the bidding's, door handles, panels, etc and then reassembling them back after painting will always take a toll on the rubber and fiber parts. It starts showing. Also not to forget the major hit the cars resale value will take. I believe protecting the car paints by shelling out some extra money will always have its advantages over repainting the car. My experience with ceramic coating has been fantastic till now. Its been 1 months now and almost 1000 Kms done but the car continues to glow. It went through couple of bad rains in Mumbai 2-3 weeks back but i just had to wipe the car with wet microfiber cloth and the dirt came out in no time.

This is not related to ceramic coating but the Tyre polish on the car still continues to show. This only talks about the materials used otherwise in most of times I used to get the cars washed at Malls and Tyre polish would not survive more than 2 days. All in all I am a satisfied customer.

Cheers
Old 13th November 2017, 11:46   #137
BHPian

My black Creta has done 7months now. While I got the 3M protection done right off the delivery and have kept it away from local washermen, I feel the shine and gloss won't last long. There are swirl marks and minor spots all around. It still shines but I have a hard time removing bird poop and loose dirt even if I rub a Jopasu every alternate day. The roof already has 3-4 spots that my F1 bug and tar remover is unable to clean. Also, I hate how the surface is a fingerprint magnet.

I'm debating if ceramic coating is the right thing to go for. Also, which one? The local Express Car Wash store quoted me 18, 28 and 38k for 2, 3 and 5 years warranty respectively, but I'd rather take it to a local detailer who'd put more heart and mind to the job. Any recommendations in Delhi NCR?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 12:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
My black Creta has done 7months now. While I got the 3M protection done right off the delivery and have kept it away from local washermen, I feel the shine and gloss won't last long. There are swirl marks and minor spots all around. It still shines but I have a hard time removing bird poop and loose dirt even if I rub a Jopasu every alternate day. The roof already has 3-4 spots that my F1 bug and tar remover is unable to clean. Also, I hate how the surface is a fingerprint magnet.

I'm debating if ceramic coating is the right thing to go for. Also, which one? The local Express Car Wash store quoted me 18, 28 and 38k for 2, 3 and 5 years warranty respectively, but I'd rather take it to a local detailer who'd put more heart and mind to the job. Any recommendations in Delhi NCR?
Would request you to check out Dazzle Car Studio, which is in Ramesh Nagar and owned by a Bhpian as well. He is really very passionate about the work that he does and will provide you the best solution (not the most expensive) depending on your budget.

Pm me if you need contact details for the owner, alternatively you can google the name and go through their facebook page.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 15:19   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Few informative videos about Exterior detailing & Ceramic coats

Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 09:31   #140

I had applied glass coating to my Sunny and results were less than impressive. For about a week it repelled water and dust and looked shiny but the first wash (just plain water) just washed away the coating .. money wasted !!
Old 1st December 2017, 10:48   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmiki View Post
For about a week it repelled water and dust and looked shiny but the first wash (just plain water) just washed away the coating .. money wasted !!
Did you apply it yourself? If yes, you have used a substandard one or application is wrong. Glass coatings last more than a year. Water beading lasts upto 2 years or more with topups.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Did you apply it yourself? If yes, you have used a substandard one or application is wrong. Glass coatings last more than a year. Water beading lasts upto 2 years or more with topups.

Could you give more details on the brand used and how it was applied. I have ceramic coating on my car and it's almost an year now, it's holding up extremely well.

Edit: Sorry,quoted the wrong post. Intended for @valmiki.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 1st December 2017 at 11:35.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:54   #143
BHPian

Ceramic Coating comes with terms and conditions which need to be agreed and followed diligently as per instructions. Recently I met with a guy who worked as manager of a renowned ceramic coating brand (read Always Dry) in my cousin's marriage. After a good discussion about how the coating lasts he told the bitter truth that it is not worth spending the huge amount on these coatings unless you can strictly follow the regime as per the guidelines.

First thing first we have to take care of all cleaning jobs our self be it washing, wiping or cleaning and say goodbye to daily washing guy. As many already mentioned the cloth these guys are using is next to sand paper which can introduce swirls on any surface.

Next is to always use good quality microfiber cloth which has to be replaced frequently based on the condition or usage. If by mistake you forgot carrying microfiber with you on long outstation trips then better to keep car in same state (read dirty) else the swirls might be developed with a single wipe too.

Then, How to keep my car clean and shiny?
To which he replied the best and easiest thing on earth is a good wash and wax and that can be done at nearby car washing center. Basically a typical wax last for at least 2-3 weeks so if you plan to take your vehicle every month then also it will be much cheaper than these expensive coatings.
Apart from this he also advised for basic 3M services(Not PPF) which he told are worth the money spent.

Party Trick: Opt for water less wash & wax available in mall parking's. I usually pay 600 bucks for my car and save the time for taking to washing garages.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:17   #144
BHPian

I think we should also factor in which car we own. When i took delivery of my Baleno a while back, i was all gung-ho bout ceramic coating. however during my first week with the car, while driving to office one morning, I hit a dog with my front bumper after and the results were interesting. Not a scratch on the dog as it pelted away happily but my bumper had caved in properly (forget pedestrian safety, this can has even dog safety!) Also, a small area also had the paint chipped off cleanly. I could tell that the paint coating is very very thin on the Baleno. Used to hot water method to fix the bumper.

Whats the point of getting a great ceramic coating on a car with panels like egg shells? If you have a solid car, go for it. Else, daily wash guy will suffice along with the occasional wax coat.
naturaldisaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:34   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I hit a dog with my front bumper after and the results were interesting. Not a scratch on the dog as it pelted away happily but my bumper had caved in properly (forget pedestrian safety, this can has even dog safety!)
The bumper did what it was supposed to do -absorbed the impact and prevent injury to the dog. It could have been any other being there.

the coating is for protection of the paint. So nothing to depend on thickness of sheet metal. Even otherwise. why not get the protection for the metal panels alone ? Bumpers are prone to damage inspite of our care.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The bumper did what it was supposed to do
Agreed Sir. But the point remains that our roads are always prone to such and similar incidents. Should we spend a ton on paint protection where even the bumpers aren't safe? Accidents can be rare but incidents are quite common.
Old 1st December 2017, 14:04   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Agreed Sir. But the point remains that our roads are always prone to such and similar incidents. Should we spend a ton on paint protection where even the bumpers aren't safe? Accidents can be rare but incidents are quite common.
The protection you are talking about is different. Like Condor has mentioned, Ceramic coating or for that sake any coating like wax or sealant is to keep the paint and gloss in top shape, by providing some protection against natural stuff like bird droppings, tree sap along with being repellent towards dust, mud etc which are easier to wash off without much of scrubbing.

Just because a car is prone to small incidents and brushes, I dont feel like leaving the paint neglected. Of course, how much money you spend is a personal choice, but the bare basic would be a good wiping cloth, which many skip. Hence, if a person is willing to spend money on a ceramic coating, that is just to keep the car shining like new always. One month of washing by the washer guy can ruin the gloss of a car which is evident in my apartment. Hence, they both are like comparing apples and oranges.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 23:21   #148
BHPian

Ordered Ceramic Coating from AliExpress, gonna test it out once it arrives and share results.. I will be doing a proper application as shown in some of the videos on YouTube with first doing a through wash (touchless wash is not possible for me as i don't have the pressure washer, then using claybar to remove contaminants, then using sandpaper to remove scratches, then buffing with cutting compound& then applying polishing compound, & finally applying carnuba wax then ceramic coating.

Product ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cera...311.0.0.sNVGJ6
dreamz_mak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 11:55   #149
BHPian

Is it safe to use Jopasu duster on daily basis after getting a nano coating? Since there is a lot of emphasis on maintenance, I plan to use Jopasu daily + waterless wash once in 2 weeks + pressure water wash at express car wash with own microfibre clothes when needed to remove tough dirt. Does it make sense?

The reason I don't want to do the 3M routine annually is they emphasize on compound rubbing and after a couple of sessions, the clear coat will start giving away. I intend to retain this vehicle for another 5-7 years.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:29   #150
Senior - BHPian

Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Is it safe to use Jopasu duster on daily basis after getting a nano coating? Since there is a lot of emphasis on maintenance, I plan to use Jopasu daily + waterless wash once in 2 weeks + pressure water wash at express car wash with own microfibre clothes when needed to remove tough dirt. Does it make sense?

Yes, Jopasu can be used after coating. Make sure you do not use it in the first 3 days after the application.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed