Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 24th July 2019, 19:15   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
My assumption was that most folks here follow the two bucket rule and use MF cloth to wash their cars,

which is what I meant by normal wash.

If you need to wash a ceramic coat car with expensive shampoo and sprays, then its really not economical and it might make

more sense to get regular wax + sealant. The whole point of a hard layer over the clear coat is to ensure that the extra

layer tackles the swirls, contaminants and what not thereby ensuring that your clear coat is safe and doesn't need to be cut

often.
Its a common misconception that a ceramic coating is applied to prevent scratches or swirls. Wax \ Sealant \ any Coating is nothing but a layer to give a glossy finish, none of these do any protection than a clearcoat. The fact is that a coating is harder and long lasting, most imp is the unmatched glossy finish among these 3, yes it can give a slightly better swirl or bird poop protection too. All 3 will loose its finish with improper washing method.

Another misconception about washing is that 2 bucket method is the safest, to me its not since the soiled medium is used again on the paint, dirt trapped inside a wash mitt or an mf cloth wont come out by just rubbing in a clean water, it will still be there. Instead use new surface each time, either multiple wash mitt or good mf cloths so that everytime you wipe with a new surface. This single bucket method will be far far better than a two bucket method.

Also there is a myth created in the detailing industry (which has some fact in case of wax and sealants) that we should use pH neutral shampoo to avoid stripping the wax. However no pH neutral shampoo will clean the surface properly, should be slightly alkaline to completely clean. I use Amway LOC \ VIM liquid dishwash. Yes, it will strip wax, it wont do anything to the clearcoat. When I was using wax I used to use pH neutral Meguiars shampoo and once in 1 or 2 months I use this LOC \ dishwash to clean the car thoroughly and wax it with Megs Ultimate paste wax. On claying I never used to find a dirty bar. Now with coating, I use LOC always (pre rinsing and do a touchless wash using the same liquid) and it wont affect the coating but cleans the car thoroughly. It leaves a glossy finish as a freshly polished surface always. So there is no need for any expensive washing procedure, rather a proper washing method that keeps the finish.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 24th July 2019 at 19:34.
::CMS:: is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2019, 23:15   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I imported Mr Fix 9H ceramic coating from AliExpress for around 7$. Going by the reviews from the Youtube I was quite sure that the product is a fake one and I took the application part casually and boy I messed up badly.

I had no decent polish and the car being comparatively in good condition I used the Meg's Ultimate Polish with a wool pad on DA, washed the car after that and applied the coating. Now the instruction says to apply to part of the panel wait for 5 minutes in summer and 5-10 minutes in winter and then wipe off with a damp MF towel followed by dry MF towel. What I did was I applied to the complete panel and by the time I completed a panel it was about 10 minutes, I tried to wipe off and it turned almost gummy and was difficult to remove. I applied some more of the coating and tried to wipe off. This time I could wipe off but there was already uneven streaking on the car. For the next panels I followed the instructions and there was no problem at all.

I thought that I will be able to polish off the unevenly applied panel. But with my my DA, wool pad and 3M one step finishing compound and a lot of work it is still there. So the coating is extremely hard and adhesion is extremely good. Remember I have not done any IPA wipe down of the car after polishing and it still managed to get bonded so well. The MF towels that I used for applications even after washing with a good detergent have become quite hard/rough.
How was it on the other panels that you worked upon ? I may order one too. Till now using the meguirs 2.0 wax + meguirs polish combo.
Mr. Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 10:14   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
How was it on the other panels that you worked upon ? I may order one too. Till now using the meguirs 2.0 wax + meguirs polish combo.
The finish is good. Water beading and sheeting is good. The panels are very easy to clean. But your end result will depend on how well you prepare the surface before applying the coating. It is quite VFM product and I specially like it during the the monsoon as cleaning the road grime becomes much easier for me.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 15:24   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The finish is good. Water beading and sheeting is good. The panels are very easy to clean. But your end result will depend on how well you prepare the surface before applying the coating. It is quite VFM product and I specially like it during the the monsoon as cleaning the road grime becomes much easier for me.
Thanks, flipkart too has it listed for 799. https://www.flipkart.com/generic-liq...g!357012996401!
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:04   #245
BHPian

So I have a year old car with some amount of swirl marks. Was planning to get ceramic coating done. Noob question I guess, but does the treatment include detailing to get rid of the swirls and then the ceramic coat on top, or should I get a detailing job done separately and then get the ceramic done?
zebanaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:31   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
So I have a year old car with some amount of swirl marks. Was planning to get ceramic coating done. Noob question I guess, but does the treatment include detailing to get rid of the swirls and then the ceramic coat on top, or should I get a detailing job done separately and then get the ceramic done?
Certainly! Preparation is the most important part of ceramic coating/sealant/wax application! Make sure all swirls are taken care off.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 17:22   #247
BHPian

I have given up on things like car detailing, ceramic coating etc. Since my car is mostly parked in basement-2 (both in home and office), I tell my cleaner to clean the car every 3rd day, daily cleaning does more harm than good. No doubt that car enthusiasts love to keep their cars shining and in mint condition. For the topic being discussed here, Ceramic coating may be useful but we have to look at expense versus benefits analysis.

Spending Rs. 20000 for a hatchback or Rs. 25000 on Ceramic coating for mid level sedans is kind of a deal breaker moment, we can get full body paint job done by paying a bit more. At the same time, it makes sense for high end cars. Perhaps its more of an individual choice.
Motor_Nut is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 18:26   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

The last time a comparison was made, it was with a guy who had a hatchback (Polo?) Who had the car resprayed. I think the cost was 50k. I think there are ceramics that cost rust much, but if you are comparing to 20k, it isn't s bit more, it is triple.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 19:01   #249
BHPian

hi,
thanks for sharing.
I too bought my first sedan.
Am getting sonax ceramic coating done.
Been informed to after deep cleaning, compounding, cleaning agent nano polish, after that mop the car 3 times, a spray of paint prep and then a base coat, and finally ceramic coat.
After that wax layer is optional, if i want.

The company is recommending just one ceramic coat,

Any feedback?
daebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 19:07   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The last time a comparison was made, it was with a guy who had a hatchback (Polo?) Who had the car resprayed. I think the cost was 50k. I think there are ceramics that cost rust much, but if you are comparing to 20k, it isn't s bit more, it is triple.
Definitely a paint job cost would be higher than a Ceramic coat job, depending upon car type and segment. By drawing comparison, I just wished to draw attention of readers that a Ceramic coat may not suit everyone's needs.

I had a Sea Grey Figo, kept it for 7+ years. Did some detailing stuff initially but results were not encouraging. Then I adopted an approach of a pressure wash every 3 months, a pressure wash if car is dirty after a long highway drive and car cleaning every 3rd day by the car cleaner. At the end, car had a nice shine & looked new, made me happy. However I would like to point out here that my car's regular parking place was a basement (both at home & office), this might have helped. So I think its like a 'life style' thing with a car when it comes to detailing and coating stuff .

Last edited by Motor_Nut : 3rd August 2019 at 19:15. Reason: Corrected a sentence for clarity.
Motor_Nut is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 20:49   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_Nut View Post
Definitely a paint job cost would be higher than a Ceramic coat job, depending upon car type and segment. By drawing comparison, I just wished to draw attention of readers that a Ceramic coat may not suit everyone's needs.
You are right. The treatment lifetime needs to be taken into account too. If money was no object, perhaps both would be nice!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 12:57   #252
BHPian

Hi,

While a lot of names in this thread are from Bangalore and South Mumbai, very few in Suburban Mumbai seem to exist.

This brand called "Autotriz" in Malad West seems to be topping the search results on Google.

Has anyone tried them, or had any experience with them? Would appreciate any feedback before I call them for the 9H ceramic coating.

My Octy 1.8TSI is 2 months old now, and I've been inspired by @nikhilb2008 's VRS! So want to get done a Ceramic Coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by SDP : 11th August 2019 at 18:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote and removed video link from quote
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 03:15   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
Hi,

While a lot of names in this thread are from Bangalore and South Mumbai, very few in Suburban Mumbai seem to exist.

This brand called "Autotriz" in Malad West seems to be topping the search results on Google.

Has anyone tried them, or had any experience with them? Would appreciate any feedback before I call them for the 9H ceramic coating.

My Octy 1.8TSI is 2 months old now, and I've been inspired by @nikhilb2008 's VRS! So want to get done a Ceramic Coating.

Cheers,
R_S
From my research, there's only one legit Ceramic Pro retailer in Mumbai, which is opposite Star Bazaar. I'm planning to get ceramic coating (the gold package) for my 320d done from there this week. Any reviews of ceramic pro (that particular outlet, or in general) would be appreciated. Also a couple of questions

1. How long does the entire process take? Do I need to leave the car for a few days? Or is it the kind of thing where I can drop it off in the morning and pick it up later.

2. I read on the Ceramic Pro website that the car should be used minimally for a week and ideally kept in a covered environment for the duration. Is that true?

3. I plan to get all the chrome elements on my Med Blue 320d (rear chrome band, window frames) wrapped black and my kidney grille painted black. Should I do this before or after the ceramic treatment?

4. My other alternative is 3M's trizact treatment. I've had a good experience with my local 3M dealership (Santacruz, Mumbai) and am tempted to stick with them for the quality of service they provide. Any reviews for this? What are the pros and cons of this as opposed to Ceramic?

My main motivation to get ceramic is the fact that I have open parking under a tree, and the bird poop has made me super paranoid when it left marks on my previous car's roof after just 2 days out of town without being able to cover the car. What acid are these birds eating?! Want a ceramic coat that's easier to clean and will prevent the poop from leaving marks on my paint. And also the basic level of paint/scratch protection it would provide from random things like random people in the building leaning against the car (why do they always pick MY car to lean against? I just don't get it. Why is my car every house help's conversation starter?)

Last edited by zebanaff : 11th September 2019 at 03:21.
zebanaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 09:28   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
From my research, there's only one legit Ceramic Pro retailer in Mumbai, which is opposite Star Bazaar. I'm planning to get ceramic coating (the gold package) for my 320d done from there this week. Any reviews of ceramic pro (that particular outlet, or in general) would be appreciated. Also a couple of questions

1. How long does the entire process take? Do I need to leave the car for a few days? Or is it the kind of thing where I can drop it off in the morning and pick it up later.

2. I read on the Ceramic Pro website that the car should be used minimally for a week and ideally kept in a covered environment for the duration. Is that true?

3. I plan to get all the chrome elements on my Med Blue 320d (rear chrome band, window frames) wrapped black and my kidney grille painted black. Should I do this before or after the ceramic treatment?

4. My other alternative is 3M's trizact treatment. I've had a good experience with my local 3M dealership (Santacruz, Mumbai) and am tempted to stick with them for the quality of service they provide. Any reviews for this? What are the pros and cons of this as opposed to Ceramic?

My main motivation to get ceramic is the fact that I have open parking under a tree, and the bird poop has made me super paranoid when it left marks on my previous car's roof after just 2 days out of town without being able to cover the car. What acid are these birds eating?! Want a ceramic coat that's easier to clean and will prevent the poop from leaving marks on my paint. And also the basic level of paint/scratch protection it would provide from random things like random people in the building leaning against the car (why do they always pick MY car to lean against? I just don't get it. Why is my car every house help's conversation starter?)
Some comments from my experience. Experts can correct me.

1. 2 to 3 days and around 12 hours to cure. I left my car for 5 days (2 days for curing).
2. You mean after the treatment? Maybe just a precaution so that the curing is proper. But I did go for a long drive in the rain right after taking my car.
3. Before the ceramic treatment.
4. No comments
5. From my experience it's really easy to clean the bird poop after this treatment. As for the scratches, it does take care of minor scratches as I had a pretty good few days after the treatment and I could simply wipe it off. Had posted the pics here I guess.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 17:19   #255

Hi guys I’m getting delivery for my new Ciaz in a weeks time I was wondering if you guys can suggest the best ceramic coating shop in Mumbai. Also noob question: Is Teflon coating required to do if you getting your vehicle a ceramic coating.. Thanks in advance...
makatak is offline   Reply With Quote