Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 04:06   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Teflon coating is a waste anyway. Don't let anyone sell it to you.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 10:47   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daebis View Post

The company is recommending just one ceramic coat,

Any feedback?
Some brands recommend layering (multiple coats), some brands do not recommend that. It is best to check with the brand website for such information.

Did you get it done already ?
Old 29th October 2019, 12:46   #258

Folks, any recommended detailing shops in Hyderabad, that you folks vouch for Ceramic Coating or PPF work.

I am planning on getting these done on my upcoming vehicle (Octavia), and having doubts whether I should go for a full body PPF or Ceramic Coating or both based on the prices quoted by the detailing shops. I was planning on visiting 3M Car Care located in Madhapur. But would like to hear from learned folks from Team BHP about any precautions or warnings that I need to heed to, before I start negotiating with the shops.

I have a roofed car park in the basement of my apartment, but there is a lot of construction dust that keeps accumulating and would like to keep the car in good nick. I am contemplating whether I should get PPF done, but I love the way ceramic coating aids in keeping the muck away (dust and paint stains). I had a bad experience earlier when my Grand I10 was sprinkled with silver paint from a can that was left behind by construction worker, and it exploded due to the heat, had a tough time to get these blots to be removed from the bonnet.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and tips.

Last edited by 773.raviteja : 29th October 2019 at 12:57.
Old 29th October 2019, 13:29   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773.raviteja View Post

I have a roofed car park in the basement of my apartment, but there is a lot of construction dust that keeps accumulating and would like to keep the car in good nick. I am contemplating whether I should get PPF done, but I love the way ceramic coating aids in keeping the muck away (dust and paint stains). I had a bad experience earlier when my Grand I10 was sprinkled with silver paint from a can that was left behind by construction worker, and it exploded due to the heat, had a tough time to get these blots to be removed from the bonnet.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and tips.
Both Ceramic coating and PPF ? I don't think both will be necessary together. Ceramic coating will give the paint a higher gloss and some protection from bird droppings, tree sap, etc. It also makes washing the car easier as most of the water slides off and also gives a slick feel to the finish. But there is a known issue of water spots being formed if rain water or any hard water dries on the surface. And I don't think paint spills, once dried on the ceramic coating will be easy to remove, unless it's evenly sprayed.

Whereas PPF will neither give extra gloss to the surface nor make the surface feel slick but it'll protect paint from chipping off due to the small stones on the highways. It also protects the paint from scratches upto some extent, like key scratches, nail scratches etc. For the incident that you mentioned where the paint can exploded, PPF would be better, as you'd just replace the film, but I don't think such incidences are frequent occurences.

But do remember, with improper washing methods, both PPF and Ceramic coatings will start developing swirl marks. So maintenance is necessary for both, just as you'd maintain the original paintwork.

So, you might accordingly want to plan on which parts you want PPF. I don't think dealers will apply ceramic coatings to just some panels. So the ceramic coating is for the car ± windshield, wheels, tyres, interiors (based on the package you choose).

People usually go with the PPF for bumpers and side mirrors. There are some who also go with having their whole car covered in PPF. It's your choice.

Congratulations in Advance for the lovely new car . Hope to see plenty of pics of your new car.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 16:26   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
Both Ceramic coating and PPF ? I don't think both will be necessary together. Ceramic coating will give the paint a higher gloss and some protection from bird droppings, tree sap, etc. It also makes washing the car easier as most of the water slides off and also gives a slick feel to the finish. But there is a known issue of water spots being formed if rain water or any hard water dries on the surface. And I don't think paint spills, once dried on the ceramic coating will be easy to remove, unless it's evenly sprayed.

Whereas PPF will neither give extra gloss to the surface nor make the surface feel slick but it'll protect paint from chipping off due to the small stones on the highways. It also protects the paint from scratches upto some extent, like key scratches, nail scratches etc. For the incident that you mentioned where the paint can exploded, PPF would be better, as you'd just replace the film, but I don't think such incidences are frequent occurences.

But do remember, with improper washing methods, both PPF and Ceramic coatings will start developing swirl marks. So maintenance is necessary for both, just as you'd maintain the original paintwork.

So, you might accordingly want to plan on which parts you want PPF. I don't think dealers will apply ceramic coatings to just some panels. So the ceramic coating is for the car ± windshield, wheels, tyres, interiors (based on the package you choose).

People usually go with the PPF for bumpers and side mirrors. There are some who also go with having their whole car covered in PPF. It's your choice.

Congratulations in Advance for the lovely new car . Hope to see plenty of pics of your new car.
Thanks @saisailendra for the quick reply.

Sure pictures will be added Still awaiting for a confirmation of the delivery date as SA was saying that factory doesn't have octavia 1.8 L&K in black. Hoping for an update in the first week of November.

Any idea how much does PPF(for full body) and ceramic coating would cost for Octavia sized cars?, and does it make sense to have a PPF and then add a ceramic coat on top of that, saw a couple of videos on youtube, where a ceramic coat applied on top of PPF will give PPF the water repelling properties of the ceramic coat and the protective features of PPF ( scratch resistance) are still retained. ().

I know it can be a costly affair for getting both done at the same time. But if it makes sense probably I will get them done stage-wise in the order of priority (PPF first and then ceramic coat).

Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 19:20   #261
BHPian

Quote:

I know it can be a costly affair for getting both done at the same time. But if it makes sense probably I will get them done stage-wise in the order of priority (PPF first and then ceramic coat).
You're welcome. Ceramic on PPF.. some say this will protect the PPF and help it last longer. But you are saying you'll get it done stage wise. So by the time you go for the ceramic coat, the PPF might be taking some damage already. Ceramic coatings are best done with maximum effectiveness on a properly prepared surface. I'm not sure what the detailers are going to say about it.

One alternate is using a coat like Gyeon CanCoat by yourself on the PPF if you're looking for the water repelling properties. It's also a product which has the same components as a ceramic coat but at less concentrations. And this can be applied by ourselves, thus making the job way more cost effective. It's not difficult either.

And the PPFs have a limited life of 5-10 years, I guess less than that in our climate conditions. So you might have to replace the PPF after a certain amount of time. So, do you feel spending so much money on a ceramic coating on the film which you inturn have to remove after sometime is worth it ?

I'm not pulling you back from the idea but these are my views, due to the known high prices of both PPF and ceramic coatings.
And I'm not sure about the exact prices of coatings as such, so other fellow Team-BHPians will throw some light on the same.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 19:38   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much does PPF(for full body) and ceramic coating would cost for Octavia sized cars?
I remember a blue octavia that had a full ppf wrap and it costed approx 2L and was done at 3M a couple of years ago.

Quote:
does it make sense to have a PPF and then add a ceramic coat on top of that
A good ceramic coat will make it hard for the ppf to stay on.

Quote:
ceramic coat applied on top of PPF will give PPF the water repelling properties of the ceramic coat and the protective features of PPF
IMHO, that is just overkill. Next they will recommend that you get a nano coat on top of the ceramic coat to keep it clean and it will become an endless cycle.

Both PPF and Ceramic have their pros and cons and I would suggest you decide on one based on the use case. If protection from scratches and general abuse is your primary concern (because you park outside or the area you live in has a lot of kids who cant keep their hands to themselves etc.), then PPF makes sense. The biggest problem with PPF is the orange peel effect and the dullness that sets in over time. Ceramic makes sense if you primarily want to protect clear coat from a lot of natural + man made problems (bird poop, fruit droppings, mud & slush etc.) but the flip side of ceramic is it cant really help with general abuse and needs to be topped up every few years.

Couple of pics of a black octavia with Kamikaze miyabi and ISM. Similar to what Nikhil has posted on his octavia vrs ownership thread.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-bag2.jpeg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-bag1.jpeg

procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 10:33   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
A good ceramic coat will make it hard for the ppf to stay on.
I am also getting my Hyundai Verna (5 year old) detailing done in the next few weeks, and BMW X1 - Ceramic coated, there is a 12 piece set for PPF covering Door corners, handle voids, front and rear bumpers etc, most of the car decor shops keep it with them. So the whole car gets Ceramic coated first, because you do not want ceramic coating to be left out in certain areas, and then get the 12 piece PPF done to protect the critical areas of a car that are more prone to scratches.
ANy Idea on which PPF is better, Avery Dennison offers a self healing PPF, while 3M doesnt.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2019 at 18:05. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please qoute only relevant portions of posts - no pictures & videos. Thanks!
Old 31st October 2019, 14:39   #264
BHPian

3M has a self healing PPF called Venture Shield. There is a thread on this here on team bhp.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 23:07   #265

Quote:
Folks, any recommended detailing shops in Hyderabad, that you folks vouch for Ceramic Coating or PPF work.
"IGL Coatings (Ceramic Coatings & Car Spa)" in Manikonda has good ratings on Google Maps.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:49   #266

"Mani Car Spa" behind Nexa Jayabheri in Gachibowli also has good reviews.
Old 27th November 2019, 19:02   #267
BHPian

Hi,

More I read, more I get confused. I am getting my Seltos next week, Its Intense Red, I believe Red colour fades quicker than others, so planning ceramic coating. Just watched a youtube video from Rishabh, promoting "Car Gloss" in Ludhiana. 25k for full body coat.

Could somebody please tell me, if ceramic coating is really useful. Will that protect my paint for 3-4 years. Car Gloss is giving 3 years guarantee. Should I get it coated when its new or should I plan after 3-4 years. How is Car Gloss? I learn they have franchises, any user reviews?

There are few ceramic coating liquids available online. Can we do the process at home or it has to be done at detailing shop only.

Experts please help.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:12   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkg2423 View Post
Hi,

More I read, more I get confused. I am getting my Seltos next week, Its Intense Red, I believe Red colour fades quicker than others, so planning ceramic coating.

Hello gkg2423. Firstly congratulations on you new investment. Hope you have a great experience with the car.

Next, about your belief. Cars these days come with a reasonably thick clear coat on the paint. So, the paint does not fade. It's the clear coat, which due to scratches and swirl marks gives a dull/faded look to the finish. This is more evident on dark colors than light colors.

I'll try to reply to your post, question-wise.

Coming to Ceramic coatings, I personally have no first-hand experience with ceramic coatings, but due to my enthusiasm and interest, I've spent a reasonable number of hours/days reading and seeing videos about the same, thus gathering some knowledge. So, I believe I'm reasonably eligible to answer your query.

" There are few ceramic coating liquids available online. Can we do the process at home or it has to be done at detailing shop only. "

To have a car paint ceramic coated, there is a process to be followed.

1) The car might have a layer of protection when delivered from a dealership as they tend to apply a layer of wax before delivery to enhance the gloss. This changes from dealership to dealership. So, the first process is to remove any kind of protection/layer that is on the paint. So, a reasonably strong shampoo wash is necessary to do that.

2) Once the paint is stripped off of the protective layers, it must be checked for swirl marks/imperfections. This is because ceramic coatings look best and adhere best to surfaces which have minimal swirls and scratches. Applying the coating on a paint surface with swirls/imperfections would not give the best results with respect to both looks as well as durability.

3) Once the car is assessed for imperfections and swirls, the process of paint correction begins. Depending upon the depth of swirls, the car may need compounding & polishing (if it is heavily swirled), or just polishing (If it's relatively new). This process needs some experience, patience and the right tools as well.

4) The process of paint correction involves use of polishes/compounds which will have substances in them (Oils, as the internet says). These substances again would interrupt the bonding of the ceramic coating to the paint. So, now these oils must be wiped off the paint using Isopropyl Alcohol/Paint prep sprays like Gyeon Prep or CarPro Erase.

5) Now, on the clean paint, ceramic coating can be applied as per manufacturer recommendations. Few manufacturers recommend wiping off within a specific time and few manufacturers don't recommend buffing off.

6) Curing. Almost every ceramic coating needs some time to cure. And during this time, it's safe to leave the car in a closed space, away from dust and water. To accelerate this process, the cars maybe kept in specific chambers with specific lights (IR ?). After all this also, the consumer may be instructed to prevent washing for a specific number of days with water and shampoo. This is also brand specific.

So, with all these steps, I do not think it is feasible to apply the coatings at home. There are some products like the Gyeon CanCoat which are consumer friendly but, they too advice against washing the car for 7 days after application. (That is one reason that's holding me back from purchasing it).

" Could somebody please tell me, if ceramic coating is really useful. "

Usefulness depends on what you are expecting from it.
  • You want gloss? It does give a mirror like finish, but you have to maintain it.
  • You want protection from UV ? It does.
  • You want to wash the car with ease ? Yes, it makes the cars paint hydrophobic, thus allowing the water to slide off easily, so washing becomes relatively easy. So does drying.
  • Protection from bird droppings, tree sap ? Yes, it does relatively give you a bit of protection, but still, you need to clean them as soon as possible.
  • Protection from scratches ? Depends on the kind of scratches. It is after all, another layer on your clear coat. So, with improper wash techniques, you'll end up putting swirl marks on the ceramic coat as well. If someone / some kid deliberately tries to scratch the car with a key / stone, then the ceramic coat would not be of much help there.

" Will that protect my paint for 3-4 years. "

This again depends on the way you maintain it. Maintain it properly, it will last you a reasonably long time. Also depends on the environment that your car is exposed to. If parked outside in the sun and rain all the time, then it will see a lower lifespan than when parked in shade or even better in a garage. But frankly, 3-4 years sounds too optimistic.

" Should I get it coated when its new or should I plan after 3-4 years. "

Anytime you decide to get it coated, the process will be the same. After 3-4 years also, the dealer should do a proper paint correction and then only apply the ceramic coating. But if you have very deep scratches after 3-4 years, like ones that happen by bikes/autowalas scraping the paint off, then it will be difficult to address such scratches. When it is brand new, you won't have such scratches.

Last edited by saisailendra : 28th November 2019 at 11:15.
saisailendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 13:40   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Hello gkg2423. Firstly congratulations on you new investment. Hope you have a great experience with the car.

Next, about your belief. Cars these days come with a reasonably thick clear coat on the paint. So, the paint does not fade. It's the clear coat, which due to scratches and swirl marks gives a dull/faded look to the finish. This is more evident on dark colors than light colors.

I'll try to reply to your post, question-wise.
Thanks a lot. No one could have explained it better. These points will help me and others in taking decision.
gkg2423 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 13:48   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkg2423 View Post
I believe Red colour fades quicker than others
If this is your biggest concern, then a good wax or even a nano sealant that is wipe on walk away will suffice. As suggested by sai in his post, ceramic helps in situations where your car is exposed to the elements a lot. Makes it easier to clean and maintain and the glossy look just makes you feel great.

Quote:
After 3-4 years also, the dealer should do a proper paint correction and then only apply the ceramic coating.
More the swirls, harder to correct. Hence the cost for paint correction can go up + more cutting involved, which means your clear coat is thinner.

I got ceramic done for my car after 3 years of purchase but the caveat is that I always had a wax/nano sealant layer on the clear coat. Got ceramic done because rusting in M&M cars is a real issue and I wanted to try and reduce the possibility of that happening.

Is a ceramic coat absolutely necessary - No. A good wax is still a good option but only needs more frequent top up vis a vis ceramic.
Does it help? Yes, but again conditions apply.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks