Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 19:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
2) I saw the used bottle of this ceramic coating. I could see the oxidized liquid leaked near the cap of bottle. It has hardened to a level which will required real hammering to break. Meaning the hardness of this layer is true to some extent if not full 9H.
This is a misconception. The slivers you find on the bottle cap are what, 0.5mm thick? thats 500 microns; 500-1000 times thicker than the coating that ends up on the car after application.

9H is all a myth. Even if the coating is 9H hard, it will never last on something softer than it such as paint. Construct a granite house (9h coat) on a sponge foundation (paint), now tell me will the building hold or will it collapse at the slightest breeze?

Quote:
3) DIY guys like me, would always want to apply by themselves. Go ahead if your car is completely new and scratch & swirlmark less.
No car is swirl mark free from the factory. This is completely a myth.

Look at this video. See what paint finish is on a new Porsche straight from the factory.

If you can't see swirls it doesn't mean its not there. If you put a coating on top of your existing swirls; they'll be locked under the coating and will forever be visible. If you want to remove them after a while, the coating will be first to be removed in the process.

Quote:
Simply use the ironX to take out all the oils from the surface before applying any ceramic coating.
This is just not true. IronX will not remove oils from the surface.

Quote:
The cars older than 4 months may require some paint correction (compounding and polishing) before applying this coating. Thats where we have to pay once to this demanding detailers. We would need the tools and tackles to perform the pre-treatment and prepare the surface for such coat, which is not really practical to procure.
True gloss/finish comes from prep work (wash,clay, decontaminate) and proper compounding/polishing. Coating does add a but to the look but its less than 2% whereas rest of the steps contribute to 98% of the look.

Quote:
6) The color of your car matters. Have you ever seen such a demo video on a white car? never or hardly right, thats because lighter color couldnt really show the effect. This is where the color of the car plays role. If you have a white color car, think really hard before going for such expense, remember, one of the reasons you bought a white since its easier to maintain.
The color of the car matters but that's just one part of the story. Light colour cars can create effects that dark coloured cars can never do.

Any detailer worth his salt should also be able to make white/light colour cars pop.
SunnyBoi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 22:32   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything that costs more than a dealer-service-centre respray with company-supplied paint is just silly. Unless it contributes something really substantial, such as a beyond-amazing deep gloss that self-heals, for instance. And even that would be luxury spending for the deep pocketed.

The day something that gives a super gloss and absolutely repels dust, dirt, water, oil, bird crap, etc, to the extent that they just blow off in the breeze, and one never ever has to even wipe the car... I'd dig a little deep in the pocket for that one. It is probably on the way. And it will probably cost more money than is in my pocket anyway. For starters, the finishing company will never see those cars again!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 12:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

The results of ceramic coatings are amazing as what I have seen in videos as of now. I have not got a chance to see them in reality till date.

But I have said this before and I am saying it again; the care to be taken post ceramic coating is the same as that required when you do a professional detailing job. The car should not be washed by the watchman, cloths should be micro fiber only, separate buckets which should not have dirt or grime, etc. The problem here; I'm sure with most of us, is that it is not possible to have such ideal conditions unless you make time to wash your car yourself. If you are going to spend more than double the amount to get a ceramic coating done which needs the same care as that of a professional detailing job, I do not find it worth the price.

Last edited by Epic : 19th July 2017 at 12:32.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 19:50   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we should take each other's advice, and shop around, for the best value-for-money long-life protection and enhancer, without shelling out the biggest bucks that, like audiophillia, seem to be part of the appeal of some brands. This H-scale thing is just hype. Probably, in this context, it refers to the price tag!
Quote:
The results of ceramic coatings are amazing as what I have seen in videos as of now. I have not got a chance to see them in reality till date.
Sure. Nobody takes videos to show that they spent megabucks and... meh. And photographing the results in (literally) the best possible light has become part of the trip. Well, why not: we want to show off our auto beauties.
Old 17th August 2017, 12:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

An interesting write up.

http://ecowashhawaii.com/2017/08/11/...amic-coatings/
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 09:28   #126
BHPian

We recently brought home a Hexa XT, Arizona Blue. The next morning I got up at 6'o Clock and excitedly went out to the parking area to see how the vehicle is laid out - spend some time understanding the controls etc. That kiddish excitement is there since this is my first *New* vehicle with my own money.

What I find there take away all the excitement - the car looks dirty and I am scared to clean it up with a normal cloth to prevent scratches coming up. I ordered Jopasu n all of that stuff but still the car cleaner has managed to put swirl marks all over the car. I need something to protect the paint.

I haven't really gone for these expensive treatments on my car ever, since I used to follow a normal regime of weekly deep clean, bi-weekly wash with ArmorAll wash + wax and 4 month wax treatment - which fared well for me.

I will probably be following the same but thinking of getting an initial protection done.

Is the ceramic coating or the nano, 9H - whatever these are - are these advisable ? I've no experience with them so please pardon me on being unaware. Any suggestions for a good centre in Gurgaon would be highly appreciated.

Edit : I've also seen some good work by Detailing Devils and Ceramic Pro !! DD say they use 9H Nano coating and CP says they use ceramic coating. Any feedbacks on both ? Approximate cost and cost worthiness ?

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 13th September 2017 at 09:31. Reason: putting in a comma
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 15:08   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Please do get paint protection for your new vehicle!

With my previous car, I took it to 3M straight away. This was just the "ordinary" treatment, but I was still amazed that they made the car look better-than-new! And the protection was long lasting.

These days there is much greater choice than just 3M, and I suspect that an independent-enthusiast local business might offer better advice and results. Make your choice and go for it! And then keep your car away from cleaners with dirty rags. Such a person is just a guy with sandpaper!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 12:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I at least find ceramic much preferable to Teflon. The latter is soft and will probably wear off in a few months. I am waiting for more feedback on Ceramics.
Have you checked OptiCoat Pro Plus?
If you have, do share your experience.

Regards
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

So I have been in two minds of getting a ceramic coating done and debating on its benefits and its worth on the premium being paid.

I decided to take the plunge and get my 2011 manufactured VW Polo 1.6 detailed and coated. Here are the results:

HOOD (BEFORE)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-before-hood.jpg

HOOD (AFTER)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-after-hood.jpg

TRUNK (BEFORE)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-before-trunk.jpg

TRUNK (AFTER)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-after-trunk.jpg

DIAGONAL (BEFORE)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-before-diagonal.jpg

DIAGONAL (AFTER)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-after-diagonal.jpg

SIDE (BEFORE)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-before-side.jpg

SIDE(AFTER)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-after-side.jpg

ENGINE (BEFORE)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-before-engine.jpg

ENGINE(AFTER)
The Ceramic Coating Thread-after-engine.jpg

I am sure the question is whether it was worth paying the premium for this outcome. The answer is - I do not know yet as it now depends on how long this lasts which I will know in due course of time. However, I must say that my car did get a second look by most motorists which was something I missed for a very long time.
Epic is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:30   #130
BHPian

I had been evaluating this ceramic coating for quite sometime now and finally decided to go ahead with it. I could bargain a good deal for my car. I own an XUV 500 W8 2012 model done 94K Kms odo. I intend to keep the car for atleast 2-3 years now and keeping my cars glowing has always been an habit for me. I generally get the car detailing done around dassehra and Diwali and this year went ahead with ceramic coating. Results are for all to see. Personally I was impressed with the results. It was much better than I expected it to turn out. I have been told that the coat will survive 3-5 years provided I do the maintenance check ups every 6 months. Also care has to be taken that car is washed using microfiber cloth only. But honestly, if this coat survives 2+ yrs for me, I am happy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4933.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4934.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4896.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4897.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4898.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4936.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4937.jpg  

sumitdongerkery is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:38   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I have been in two minds of getting a ceramic coating done and debating on its benefits and its worth on the premium being paid.

I decided to take the plunge and get my 2011 manufactured VW Polo 1.6 detailed and coated. Here are the results:
Can you please share the details of the dealer from where you got it done and the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
I had been evaluating this ceramic coating for quite sometime now and finally decided to go ahead with it. I could bargain a good deal for my car. I own an XUV 500 W8 2012 model done 94K Kms odo. I intend to keep the car for atleast 2-3 years now and keeping my cars glowing has always been an habit for me. I generally get the car detailing done around dassehra and Diwali and this year went ahead with ceramic coating. Results are for all to see. Personally I was impressed with the results. It was much better than I expected it to turn out. I have been told that the coat will survive 3-5 years provided I do the maintenance check ups every 6 months. Also care has to be taken that car is washed using microfiber cloth only. But honestly, if this coat survives 2+ yrs for me, I am happy.
Please share the deal details as well if you can. I am currently evaluating Ceramic Coating (costs about 23k for new Verna from a good dealer) vs PPF Kit (about Rs. 12k covering both bumpers, ORVMs, Door Handles.)

Last edited by pathik : 4th October 2017 at 14:41.
Old 4th October 2017, 18:12   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Can you please share the details of the dealer from where you got it done and the cost.
I got it done from Pimp My Pride (PMP) located at Kandivali East. I paid 20k for interior and exterior detailing.
Old 11th October 2017, 20:00   #133
BHPian

An interesting excerpt on Car detailing from a JC review for the Sunday Times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sunday Times
First of all, it’s very hard work. You have to do all the exercises favoured by people in gyms. Bending over, stretching, rubbing. But at least when gym bunnies finish, they have glistening, toned bodies that make them look good. You? You’re just going to put your back out. And the more you clean, the more you’ll notice is dirty. If you’re not careful you’ll end up polishing the inside of the tyre valves and then not wanting to use your car if it’s raining.

And have you ever actually tried those cleaning products that are available in supermarkets? There are any number of sprays, creams, waxes, shampoos. It’s like being in Richard Hammond’s bathroom cabinet. Except, as far as I can tell, they don’t actually do anything.

Why are you washing the car in the first place? A car will not get smelly armpits or a cheesy groin. Bathing it will not increase its life expectancy or decrease the chances of a breakdown. All it does really is demonstrate to others that you have a tiny mind and an empty life. I want you to think carefully about this.

Oh, and here’s another thing. Washing a car is the only time you ever get up close and personal with all of its panels. Which means you will find a million depressing little dings and scratches that you would never have spotted had you left it caked in grime.
Link: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/20-ye...r-review-2008/

Last edited by petroguzzler : 11th October 2017 at 20:01.
petroguzzler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 20:36   #134
BHPian

I got the ceramic coating from UltimateDetailerz using CarPro C-Quartz about a year back. The car was parked in a covered parking for a week after the coating was applied with no water or sunshine reaching the paint. The paint suffered heavy watermarking during the first set of rains though. This was when I was away from the car for a week and it rained on and off followed by bright and hot sunshine and the car was parked in the open throughout.
The paint had suffered from watermarking before too but was worse after the coating. A couple of washes later the marks reduced. The car is black and still has some more than average number of watermarks on the bonnet and roof. The side/vertical panels are ok though.
Anyone faced a similar situation?

Overall the coating has helped. The car has less swirls and is bright and glossy after a wash despite being parked in the open. The car gets washed about once a month by me using MF cloth and two bucket method. I noticed a significant increase in swirls after the MASS washed it during a service and henceforth have always opted out of their car wash.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:28   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

A Youtuber's take on Ceramic Coating

Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks