Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:29   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
I ordered 3 bottles of Mr-Fix9H Link which arrived in a couple of weeks. The package contained 1 bottle of the product, a few paper-like tissues & an applicator sponge.
I applied Mr Fix on my Ninja six months ago, and must say its holding up to its name. Even today, after many soap water washes with a pressure hose, the water beading action is still as good as day one and so is the deep gloss.

I applied three coats on most of the panels, including the plastic trim and it is worth the money paid. However, like you said, it is important to wipe it off within 10-15 minutes. The instructions are clearly demonstrated in many Youtube videos and can be followed compared to their badly translated instructions. After that, I tried the same on my Dio. Since I applied only one coat, the water beading effect is there but is not entirely water repellent like my Ninja.

I am not finding enough time to work on my car, but this is definitely worth the price paid, even if it lasts for 6-8months.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 11:33   #167
BHPian

Quote:
I ordered 3 bottles of Mr-Fix9H Link which arrived in a couple of weeks. The package contained 1 bottle of the product, a few paper-like tissues & an applicator sponge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I applied Mr Fix on my Ninja six months ago, and must say its holding up to its name.
A few questions:

Is one bottle sufficient for an XUV5OO? Ofcourse, at just $10, can buy 2- 3 bottles and be done with it.

What kind of elbow grease is required to buff the car panels. I wax my XUV5OO with my hand, so, would I be able to do a DIY here as well?

One of my cars is "washed" daily by the apartment washing guy, wondering if the micro-scratches that will eventually come be a bigger eyesore.

No issues like paint fading or discoloration? Atleast on the bike, given that this was applied 6 months back

Do we still have to wax our cars, once this a ceramic coating is applied?

TIA.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 4th May 2018 at 11:36.
Old 4th May 2018, 11:46   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

Is one bottle sufficient for an XUV5OO? Ofcourse, at just $10, can buy 2- 3 bottles and be done with it.

One bottle might be sufficient for the XUV500, but for a single coat. I would suggest you to do at least two coats, which will need more than a bottle.

Quote:
What kind of elbow grease is required to buff the car panels. I wax my XUV5OO with my hand, so, would I be able to do a DIY here as well?
As long as the panels of your car are in good shape, with no swirls and fading, applying Mr. Fix is an easy job. It does not take much effort to apply the coat, and to buff it off is easy as long as you dont leave it for too long since after that, its pretty difficult to wipe it off like how StreetAddict has mentioned. It is as easy as wiping a wet panel, maybe with a little more force.

Quote:
One of my cars is "washed" daily by the apartment washing guy, wondering if the micro-scratches that will eventually come be a bigger eyesore.
Could be the case. But my Ninja does not go through the daily washing schedule. Even my cars which are being washed daily with a MF cloth will no longer receive that treatment once I give it the coating. Hence, you might have to rethink on that plan. But I think it should resist swirls better than the stock paint.

Quote:
No issues like paint fading or discoloration? Atleast on the bike, given that this was applied 6 months back
Nope. Mine is a jet black paint scheme and even the plastic panels which are uncoloured are holding up pretty well without any issues. Even I was pretty doubtful about this product, but now after six months I can recommend it.

Quote:
I haven't given a thought about this. That too given I have a huge can of Meguiars sealant and Collinite 845 remaining unused
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 12:06   #169
BHPian

Quote:
As long as the panels of your car are in good shape, with no swirls and fading, applying Mr. Fix is an easy job.

I haven't given a thought about this. That too given I have a huge can of Meguiars sealant and Collinite 845 remaining unused
A few micro-scratches and minor swirl marks might be there. Can always get a local car wash guy to rub the car with a medium grade rubbing compound. The XUV has a few big scratches on one panel that I am planning to get touched-up

No waxing post this application would mean that I would be visiting the give-away thread to post my 80% full bottle of Collinite 845
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 19:06   #170
BHPian

Quote:
The product description says that this product binds to the paint at a molecular level. Going by that logic, applying a wax coat before applying this won't make a lot of sense. And, waxing after applying this product would be an overkill IMO as this product already provides all the functions as a wax would (water bead, gloss)

Quote:
Quote:
No waxing post this application would mean that I would be visiting the give-away thread to post my 80% full bottle of Collinite 845
Tell me about it. I went extra stupid & also ordered a tub of Meguiar's gold wax at the same time I ordered Mr. Fix. Now, it's just lying around doing nothing staring right in my face.

Last edited by StreetAddict : 4th May 2018 at 19:08.
StreetAddict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 19:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got my car treated with Ceramic Pro. It has been exactly a year now and it has held off well. The paint still is very glossy and water still runs off well. It is really easy to get the dust of with a Jopasu.

I do use Ceramic Pro Sport every 3 months. It is an after coat maintenance product. Very good in my opinion.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 20:27   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The product description says that this product binds to the paint at a molecular level. Going by that logic, applying a wax coat before applying this won't make a lot of sense. ... ... ...
I think that a lot of the labour that one pays for when getting a detailing shop to do this, is removing anything and everything that might come between the paint and the treatment.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 22:24   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that a lot of the labour that one pays for when getting a detailing shop to do this, is removing anything and everything that might come between the paint and the treatment.
Agree. But I'm the DIY kind, low on spare time, broke & the truck is less than 6 months old. All these points kept me from visiting the nearest detailing shop (which quoted 35k for the basic package)
Old 5th May 2018, 02:00   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Agree. But I'm the DIY kind, low on spare time, broke & the truck is less than 6 months old. All these points kept me from visiting the nearest detailing shop (which quoted 35k for the basic package)
You are being overcharged. I got MaxProtect V2 done in 12K, and its the same coat thickness and process.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 11:27   #175
BHPian

So after going through and other threads talking about Ceramic coating, I think we have consensus that ceramic coats do indeed enhance the life of the paint, albeit, marginally. For me, CeramicPro is way too expensive. As soon as I get the delivery of my car (XUV) I'm going to the following things:
  • 3M Underbody coat (Body Schutz Gold Gun - 5 years
  • CarPro CQuartz coat
  • 3M PPF on the bumpers, door edges & OVRM

The cleaning schedule I'm going to follow is (I have a covered basement parking and will be doing all these myself):
  • Jopasu Duster - everytime before heading out, and after coming back if its not been raining
  • Once a week rinseless wash (Garry Dean method using ProKlear Raw Extreme CX Carnauba Wax Rinseless)
  • Once a month DIY car wax using Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax(would this be overkill?)
  • Once a quarter (or whenever the car is too dirty for a rinseless wash) a professional wash at Ultimate Detailerz
  • 6-month scheduled ceramic coat top-up

I've read a few posts where fellow TBHPians said they stopped using wax after the ceramic coat, was that because the car was looking good or does waxing corrode at the ceramic coat?
Old 11th June 2018, 11:40   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinide View Post
So after going through and other threads talking about Ceramic coating, I think we have consensus that ceramic coats do indeed enhance the life of the paint, albeit, marginally. For me, CeramicPro is way too expensive. As soon as I get the delivery of my car (XUV) I'm going to the following things:
=========
I've read a few posts where fellow TBHPians said they stopped using wax after the ceramic coat, was that because the car was looking good or does waxing corrode at the ceramic coat?
You may contact Ultimate Detailerz, Bangalore based. They do ceramic coating for much lesser with similar effect. Albeit of a different brand.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2018 at 17:22. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Thanks.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 13:18   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
You may contact Ultimate Detailerz, Bangalore based. They do ceramic coating for much lesser with similar effect. Albeit of a different brand.

Regards,
Shashi
Ultimate Detailerz are the authorized dealers of CarPro CQuartz in India and I'm doing the coating from them (the Jakkur franchise, would have loved to take it to Moshin, but the Jakkur franchise is on the way from the showroom to my house
Old 11th June 2018, 16:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if wax is recommended. The brand that you finally decide will also have a maintainance polish.

I have used Ceramic Pro and they have a polish called Ceramic Pro Sport. This is like a maintainance coat which I use once in 3 months.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 19:20   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Not sure if wax is recommended. The brand that you finally decide will also have a maintainance polish.

I have used Ceramic Pro and they have a polish called Ceramic Pro Sport. This is like a maintainance coat which I use once in 3 months.
I have pretty much decided on going with Ultimate Detailerz, just need to figure out if it is going to be their entry level CQuartz coat or their CQuartz professional.

I don't think they have a maintenance polish, and depending on the package you pick with them, you get a top-up coat every 6 months or so.

I have also read that if you clean your car properly (regular dusting, microfiber cloth, proper lubrication while cleaning, not too much elbow grease) the ceramic coat should last well. I just need to now decide which option to go with for the coat. UD has given a quote of 32.5k for the XUV for the CQuartz Professional which has a 2 year warranty, whereas 21k will use the entry level CQuartz and have a 1 year warranty. The franchise at Jakkur is pushing for CQuartz Professional of course, but I find it to be quite steep, especially since I plan to do PPF on parts of the body and the underbody coats which would take the total expense to about a lakh immediately after I drive out of the showroom
Old 11th June 2018, 20:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
would have loved to take it to Moshin, but the Jakkur franchise is on the way from the showroom to my house

I would still take the trouble of going to Mohsin. He is such a passionate detailer. The output will definitely be better and worth the extra effort. Since it a probably a 2 day job, leave the car on a Saturday and pick it up on a Sunday. You probably can spend the whole of Sunday with Mohsin and he will give you great tips on maintainance.

Quote:
I just need to now decide which option to go with for the coat.

If it is just a 10 k difference maybe it is worthwhile. Negotiate a little more and take the plunge on professional.

You can easily postpone the under body coatings by 6 months if required. It is not a must have for Bangalore, unlike the coastal cities.

PPF is required from day one in Bangalore.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 11th June 2018 at 20:29.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks