Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2022, 18:14   #496

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

What are the options for getting a graphene ceramic coating done in and around Mangalore or Bangalore? Any suggestions guys
albertrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 00:32   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya1 View Post
I have an urgent question. I had my car picked few days ago after Crystal serum ultra ceramic coating. On the very same day bird pooped on my shining new car. I washed my car with pressure water only. Will that tap water harm the coating? It was approximately 23 hrs after coating

Any ideas.
Most coating mfg’s have a strict no wash policy for a period of 7-14 days post coating application, now assuming it was a light rinse and no shampoo was used it shouldn’t be too much of an issue, but let the installer know it happened and monitor the performance of the coating going forward. Also check for water spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Is it better to just get paint restoration and detailing done every year rather than a ceramic coating? Price wise it’ll end up costing half over a 5 year period.
Not at all, every time you get your paint corrected it’s being microscopically abraded and losing a few microns in the process, given how thin paint is on new cars (thanks to cost cutting) it’s only a finite amount of times you can polish and correct your paintwork until it’s too thin to safely polish.

Prevention is always better than cure, learn about safe wash technique to avoid swirls in the first place.

Cost of a 2 step machine polish + sealant from a quality shop is around 13-15k. Ceramic coatings start at 25-30k and will last 2.5-3 years for most entry-mid level coatings. Doing the former every year will cost 45k (probably more due to inflation) over a 3 year period. Not to mention you’ll get much superior chemical protection and water beading with a coating.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 17:56   #498
BHPian

Hi All, while I await the delivery of my XUV700 (it has just been billed), i was wondering if anyone has an opinion about 3M's ceramic coating and the difference between ceramic and graphene coating. While I would have wished for a PPF, most of my budget has been devoted to the car with little room to spare :(

Also, any dealers you would recommend in Mumbai? the 3M guys are close by in Chembur - wondering if there are any others i should shout out to.

Thanks!
Old 17th June 2022, 09:36   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Cost of a 2 step machine polish + sealant from a quality shop is around 13-15k. Ceramic coatings start at 25-30k and will last 2.5-3 years for most entry-mid level coatings. Doing the former every year will cost 45k (probably more due to inflation) over a 3 year period. Not to mention you’ll get much superior chemical protection and water beading with a coating.
Ok. I'm seeing ₹8000 as the cost for Paint Correction/Swirl Removal Treatment with Sealant at UltimateDetailerz in Thrissur.

For ceramic coating, they charge ₹30000 for 2 year warranty for the same size (medium SUV).
Old 17th June 2022, 11:07   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Ok. I'm seeing ₹8000 as the cost for Paint Correction/Swirl Removal Treatment with Sealant at UltimateDetailerz in Thrissur.

For ceramic coating, they charge ₹30000 for 2 year warranty for the same size (medium SUV).
Swirl removal generally refers to a 1 step paint correction. Wash - decon - polish - IPA - sealant.

With a coating there will be a multi step correction (wetsanding if needed, compounding and polishing). So ask them what their highest level non ceramic paint correction and protection package is. This is what I was referring to and most quality shops will be at least 12-15k. Unless it’s a new car.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 16:40   #501
BHPian

Hello All,

I am looking for some good ceramic coating place in Hyderabad.

I have looked into Detailing Mafia, but their cost is a bit on the higher side. Is there any other place in Hyderabad with good Ceramic or PPF coating available.
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:19   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saats07 View Post
Hello All,

I am looking for some good ceramic coating place in Hyderabad.

I have looked into Detailing Mafia, but their cost is a bit on the higher side. Is there any other place in Hyderabad with good Ceramic or PPF coating available.
IGL Coatings has a authorised center in Hyderabad and i would reccomend to go with their top line product IGL Kenzo which offers 5 year warranty.I have got it done last year from Punjab and so far it has been holding well.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:12   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
IGL Coatings has a authorised center in Hyderabad and i would reccomend to go with their top line product IGL Kenzo which offers 5 year warranty.I have got it done last year from Punjab and so far it has been holding well.
Thank you Artyom.
Is it still good after year of use? Will any topup be provided in case of any damage?
Old 22nd June 2022, 21:40   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saats07 View Post
Thank you Artyom.
Is it still good after year of use? Will any topup be provided in case of any damage?
Its a graphene+ceramic coating and is pretty hard. Its been almost 6 months now and its been performing very well.
All I use is the IGL Car shampoo for washes.
As a top-up although they recommend to use IGL Premier /Enhancer but honestly i have been using Carpro Ech02 as a Quick Detailer and its been working fine.

Any coating when damaged has to be re applied so that's a hard fact. Cant really help.

Below is the whole experience for you're reference

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Getting Artyom shielded again with IGL Kenzo (Graphene infused ceramic coating))

Last edited by Artyom : 22nd June 2022 at 21:47.
Old 25th June 2022, 17:55   #505
BHPian

Gtechniq crystal serum ultra coating(9 years warranty) done on mine. Even a non mettalic color like white shines. See for yourself.
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1206-2.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1208-2.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1210.jpg

Last edited by Surya1 : 25th June 2022 at 18:16.
Surya1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:33   #506

Hey folks,

Considering ceramic coating on my VW Taigun

Visited 3M outlet in Airoli, Navi Mumbai and was quoted 26k (negotiable) for one year warranty (with couple of free maintenance visits) which includes 2 layers of coat. They dont have any longer warranty product to offer and as per the salesman, all 3 or 5 year warranty products available in the market are pretty much useless since the coat life cannot be that long anyways. He went on to suggest PPF if i was looking for long term treatment with a quote of 480/sqft (which i felt was low, but he showed 3M branded film)

Would appreciate some guidance here -

a. Is one year life standard as explained by him?
b. If so, is 26k reasonable considering it is 3M branded?
c. Should i consider PPF at 480/sqft price point?

Thanks !!
Old 25th July 2022, 11:37   #507
BHPian

I recently went to a nearby detailing shop for checking out the coat options and prices.
Under the budget of ~25k for Nexon XZ+ (few days old), I was given two offerings.

(I kept the budget strictly ~25K and thus didn't go for PPF etc coating - as I felt it's overkill for a Car that costs ~12-13 lakh. Perhaps a repaint job would be cheaper.)

1. Ceramic Coat (9H) - for 15k with 3 years of Warranty/Services in case of coat damage.
2. Graphene Coat (10H) - for 28K with 5 years of Warranty/Services in case of coat damage.

They will offer another coat after a year/on-demand free of cost.
Upon negotiation they offered the Graphene coat to me for 18k INR but with 3 years of warranty.
I am not too familiar with coating so I did my research and checked with few friends who suggested that Graphene coat is better if the price difference is not too much b/w Ceramic and Graphene.

I went ahead and gave my car for coating. They kept the car for a day and half.
I got my car back the next day evening and I did find swirl marks on the hood, so I am speculating they didn't do a great job at pre-coat :(. I doubt if it's easy to remove those swirl marks now as they're hiding underneath that coat. Although they are not that prominent.

To verify that the coat is indeed there, I performed some water droplet tests and it did seem that the water resistance is higher now or at least the droplets don't stay there sticking to surface. Cleaning seemed easier as well but I maybe under a placebo.

I have few questions for the coating veterans:
1. How do I verify the quality of coat ? To me, it seems that someone can even perform a deep cleaning and coat with some other similar material that is not long lasting and it won't make any difference to a newbie's eye.
2. Why is it that the detailer was able to reduce the price effectively from 28k to 18k, however at lower warranties of 3 years instead of 5 ? Cost saving on re-coat job few years later ?
3. Are there are recommended wax/polish etc. for graphene infused coats ? I saw some products from TurtleWax like Graphene Infused spray, hybrid etc but wasn't too familiar to understand which one to pick for (after a car wash treatment).

Thanks.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 11:39   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar11 View Post
Hey folks,

Considering ceramic coating on my VW Taigun

Visited 3M outlet in Airoli, Navi Mumbai and was quoted 26k (negotiable) for one year warranty (with couple of free maintenance visits) which includes 2 layers of coat. They dont have any longer warranty product to offer and as per the salesman, all 3 or 5 year warranty products available in the market are pretty much useless since the coat life cannot be that long anyways. He went on to suggest PPF if i was looking for long term treatment with a quote of 480/sqft (which i felt was low, but he showed 3M branded film)

Would appreciate some guidance here -

a. Is one year life standard as explained by him?
b. If so, is 26k reasonable considering it is 3M branded?
c. Should i consider PPF at 480/sqft price point?

Thanks !!
Since you are from Mumbai and looks like looking for a durable coating i woukd suggest visiting IGL Coatings.They have their product IGL Kenzo which is a graphene Ceramic coating with a promised duration of 5 years ofcourse with proper maintainence.I got it done almost 8 months back and so far its holding up pretty good.Talk to them and bargain hard for the IGL Kenzo treatment and understand the terms and conditions.It is a hard coating and should last for a good tenure.They were not happy with the review i had put for the IGL Coating when i got it done particularly with the pricing as i got a very good deal.I got mine and dads car coated.So bargain hard as majority of the price they quote is for the labor.The product doesnt cost that much.Here is the review.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Getting Artyom shielded again with IGL Kenzo (Graphene infused ceramic coating))
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:37   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
I have few questions for the coating veterans:
1. How do I verify the quality of coat ? To me, it seems that someone can even perform a deep cleaning and coat with some other similar material that is not long lasting and it won't make any difference to a newbie's eye.
2. Why is it that the detailer was able to reduce the price effectively from 28k to 18k, however at lower warranties of 3 years instead of 5 ? Cost saving on re-coat job few years later ?
3. Are there are recommended wax/polish etc. for graphene infused coats ? I saw some products from TurtleWax like Graphene Infused spray, hybrid etc but wasn't too familiar to understand which one to pick for (after a car wash treatment).

Thanks.
Seems like you got scammed, no serious shop will go from 28k to 18k. Coating warranties are just marketing, as detailers it is impossible to get a claim from the coating mfg. and if you read the fine print for any of the big name coating brands, you’ll see for yourself how difficult it is to prove.

To add, anybody offering a ceramic coating for under 25k is anyway suspect as either an unbranded cheap coating is being used or they’re not spending enough time doing the paint correction.

1) The only way to check for a ceramic coating (or any other form of paint protection) is via hydrophobic performance or how aggressively it beads water. Using a DFT gauge is useless as ceramic coatings are not more than 1-3 microns thick and paint varies by 12-15 microns in thickness anyway on each panel. Without water testing, no professional can tell you if a surface is coated or not.

2) Quality coatings don’t need reapplication every year or even 2 years, they are largely maintenance free, maybe a chemical decon with tar and ferrous removers every few months that’s it.

3) You don’t need to apply any waxes (graphene infused or otherwise) to a quality coating, it’s like taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back, as you loose the extreme hydrophobic properties of the coating as they’re masked by whatever you put over it. Polishes are abrasive and should never be applied over a coating unless you want to strip it.

If you see swirls under the coating take it back to the shop, it’s just poor paint polishing and can easily be fixed and the coating reapplied on the affected areas.
AJ56 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:25   #510
BHPian

I have booked Honda City, Golden Brown Color, being a dark shade would like to do Ceramic Coating.

I spoke to Carzspa Chennai(Graphene), they were asking 40K for the basic package and 55K for the full package(Interior, Exterior, Alloys and Glass) with 5 years warranty.

Spoke to another guy Car Sense, he is using Turtle Wax 10H+ Ceramic Coating, he is asking for 27k with 3 years warrant, according to him he says only Turtle Wax has 10H+ it is a new product with Graphene additives and it is superior than Graphene Coating.

Not sure which is correct, can anybody help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks