Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 17:24   #361
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Hi I am looking for having a ceramic coating done on my new XUV 300 in Mumbai.

I have approached autoritz and I have been quoted 45k for the top exterior protection plan.

Does anyone one has an experience with autoritz?
Old 1st May 2021, 22:14   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
Hi I am looking for having a ceramic coating done on my new XUV 300 in Mumbai.

I have approached autoritz and I have been quoted 45k for the top exterior protection plan.

Does anyone one has an experience with autoritz?
You haven't mentioned what is included in this quote(hardness of coat, make of ceramic coating used, no. of layers, wheel, trims, chrome coating included+interior also covered) and the warranty for this.
But in general I think 45k is costly and you must start looking for other options if nearby and then compare. You can also ask them to share the pics of the cars they have detailed.
blueshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 22:27   #363
BHPian

This is the quote I have received. It is only for exterior.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-screenshot_20210501222343.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2021, 14:54   #364
BHPian

Hello. I got my Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 ceramic coated by Feynlab, Bangalore. Can anyone suggest me ways to maintain it. I read about pH neutral shampoos. Can anyone suggest a nice one?
Old 3rd May 2021, 02:31   #365

[quote=DDiSLover;5029890]WOW! Totally drool worthy!
If you dont mind, please could you share the price for this, and how long it took?

Sorry for the late reply. It was about 30k and took 3 days.
Nthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 04:37   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Hello. I got my Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 ceramic coated by Feynlab, Bangalore. Can anyone suggest me ways to maintain it. I read about pH neutral shampoos. Can anyone suggest a nice one?
For dusting the vehicle use Jopasu duster(Handglove Version)
Carpro Reset is Ph Neutral
Gyeon Bathe is Ph Neutral
Gyeon Bathe+ is Ph Neutral with additional Sio2 in it(Reccomenfed for Ceramic Coatings)
For Waterless wash:-
Carpro EchO2 which has Sio2
Proklear CX waterless wash
Optimum No Rinse
Sonax BSD diluted 1:2 as a quick detailer
For Tyres use any Tyre Polish
For degreasing or removing stains use any APC in proper dilution
Buy some spray bottles for making solutions
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:25   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
15 to 20 micron thickness on a ceramic coating? Is this being sprayed like clear coat. Please check this. 10H is as hard as diamond, with this kind of hardness you would have your car shatter proof and not scratch proof The number of layers is more a marketing gimmick than anything else.

One spray coat of clear coat will have DFT of 20 to 25 microns. No way, a ceramic coating unless being sprayed like clear coat would give you this thickness.

Cost of the coating is not just dependent on the brand, it should be more on the workmanship. Poor workmanship can make even the best coatings to fail big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
For dusting the vehicle use Jopasu duster(Handglove Version)
Carpro Reset is Ph Neutral
Gyeon Bathe is Ph Neutral
Gyeon Bathe+ is Ph Neutral with additional Sio2 in it(Reccomenfed for Ceramic Coatings)
For Waterless wash:-
Carpro EchO2 which has Sio2
Proklear CX waterless wash
Optimum No Rinse
Sonax BSD diluted 1:2 as a quick detailer
For Tyres use any Tyre Polish
For degreasing or removing stains use any APC in proper dilution
Buy some spray bottles for making solutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Apart from the list of shampoos provided by Artyom, add Sonax Gloss Shampoo to this, it is cheap and efficient. Costs about 550 bucks a litre which is cheaper than quite a few brands. I am using this for the last 5 years, gives satisfactory results.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 3rd May 2021 at 11:33.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:45   #368
BHPian

[quote=nkrishnap;5056014]15 to 20 micron thickness on a ceramic coating? Is this being sprayed like clear coat. Please check this. 10H is as hard as diamond, with this kind of hardness you would have your car shatter proof and not scratch proof The number of layers is more a marketing gimmick than anything else.

One spray coat of clear coat will have DFT of 20 to 25 microns. No way, a ceramic coating unless being sprayed like clear coat would give you this thickness.

Cost of the coating is not just dependent on the brand, it should be more on the workmanship. Poor workmanship can make even the best coatings to fail big time

There is only one coat of nano serum that is ceramic coating and on top of that there is a top coat. Remaining 5 coats are of base coats which afaik is not ceramic coats but they are for better adhesion to the clear coat ; gloss and better protection.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:04   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is only one coat of nano serum that is ceramic coating and on top of that there is a top coat. Remaining 5 coats are of base coats which afaik is not ceramic coats but they are for better adhesion to the clear coat ; gloss and better protection.
Ok. So presumably there are no spray coats to obtain the said thickness. 20 micron is a tall claim.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:29   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Ok. So presumably there are no spray coats to obtain the said thickness. 20 micron is a tall claim.
Honestly I have no idea about the claim.
From what I read in the thread as well as some research on the net there is no clarity on the number of ceramic coats that needs to be applied.
Many just prep the car and apply a single coat. While rest apply things like base coats and then do the ceramic coat and apply top coat.

Generally for follow up maintenance the top coat is reapplied.

This is honestly my second car and I had never done any stuff to my old car so I am very new to this concept.
I read about synthetic sealant which last about 6 months but have not found any studio in Mumbai that does it.
Initially I was planning to get the synthetic sealant types done as it won't cost me a bomb however since I couldn't find any I had to look for ceramic coating.

Also would like to enquire if the anti rust coating do work and is it advisable to get it done
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:42   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you use the money for filling up the tank instead, imagine how many thousands of Kms that will take you and the experiences you can have.

Being a new car, all it needs at this point is cleaning once a week, preferably waterless wash done properly by yourself.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 08:26   #372
BHPian

6 month update of Modesta BC 08 Ceramic coating

Ceramic Coating - Is it really useful? - A hard NO!

Background Info:
1. I spent more than Rs. 30,000 in adorning my black Creta 1.4 SX(O) with a Modesta BC 08 from Autotech, New Delhi. I have no complaints about the detailer's job in applying the coating.
2. I have also meticulously maintained the coating for these past 6 months. This includes covering my car with a microfiber lined TPH Pilot 373, which is a quite a chore thanks to its thickness and size, upto 2 times in a day (home and office; both open parking).
3. I have dutifully removed bird droppings as soon as I saw them with wet wipes and judicious use of cleaning spray. I 'dry wash' the car personally every week using Proklear waterless wash, have invested in a shelf of Turtle wax products for specific parts (glass, tyres, odour, etc.). No one apart from me and detailing studios (once a month) touches my car; I refused the neighbourhood wash-man.

Incidentally, one of my neighbours also bought black Creta 1.4 SX(O) within a couple of weeks of my purchase. It is usually parked a couple of paces away. My neighbor hasn't bothered with any coating or treatments and just lets the 'wash-man' clean his car every morning.

Reality check:
1. My neighbour's car actually looks better on most days than mine. As I can't dry wash it every day, it accumulates fine dust even under the mighty TPH Pilot 373 and the only time it really shines is for a few minutes after half an hour of cleaning or out of a detailing studio. That Ceramic shine is overhyped unless you have dust-free indoor parking or can hire someone to clean the car properly (using all those non-scratching techniques) every day.
2. The water beading effect is useless for me as I can't water hose my car anyway. I don't think it helps in rain-dust or regular dust adhering less to the surface as I have to invest the same time/money in cleaning it afterwards.
3. The car has accumulated minor scratches and scuff marks, which to be honest I did not expect the coating to protect against, but in retrospect even a cheaper Rs. 40K (Avery Dennison category) PPF would have definitely protected against. I wish I had spent my money on PPF instead, though how useful is it for Rs. 22 lakh Hyundai car is a separate discussion.
4. I still get 'spider-webbing', 'hard-water marks' and 'acid-marks from bird droppings' despite the coating and all my efforts.

The coating I should have got all along
Remember that turtle wax shelf I told you about? I bought their Hybrid Ceramic Spray to 'top-up' my coating and believe me it works as well or better than what my Modest BC 08 ever did. At 1/1000th of the price! In fact it is so good, I sprayed it on my toilet bowl and sink bowl to lessen soap scum and other scum marks. And guess what? It does exactly that!

Verdict
If you have stumbled upon this post before you have spent your hard earned money on ceramic coatings, then don't waste your wallet. I have intentionally not posted any photos because those 'black-paint mirror-shots' taken right after detailing under perfecting lighting angles are plain marketing gimmicks.

If your car is expensive enough that a PPF (including replacement when necessary) is cheaper than repainting the panel, then get that instead. If you still want some of that shine, then get the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray (or maybe even Meguairs, though I haven't tried it yet) - the bottle will last for at least 10 applications, i.e., 5 years or more at less than 1/1000th of the cost. If you just want a clean car every morning, and aren't minutely looking for paint dullness - just pay your colony 'wash-man'.
iamitp is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 11:28   #373
BHPian

This is one happy Ceramic Coating story.

Its been 2 years since I got my 7 year old Linea coated by Krithi Car Care (Nkrishnap) and the Gyeon coating is holding strong without any top up coat. I do have the luxury of washing my car at home, and I find keeping the car clean is easier after the coating though most times I just use a Jopasu duster and only wash if the car is really dirty.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-gyeon-2-years-2.jpg

During the first lockdown last year I decided to try my hand at a DIY ceramic coating on my 15 year old Swift with a Kit from Avalon King that I got from a fellow member. I probably spent 1/10 the time preparing the car that a professional would take but was pleasantly surprised by the end result which looks as good after a year.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-swift-ak-1-yr-1.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:16   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
... I have also meticulously maintained the coating for these past 6 months. This includes covering my car with a microfiber lined TPH Pilot 373, which is a quite a chore thanks to its thickness and size, upto 2 times in a day (home and office; both open parking).
According to me, the entire purpose of a ceramic coating would be to keep the car looking good with less maintenance and work! If it did not do so, then forget it, especially at the costs involved! It is regularly said, and should be kept in sight, that the cost of these special coatings can approach (even exceed?) the cost of a full dealer-service-centre respray! .
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:47   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
[b]
3. The car has accumulated minor scratches and scuff marks, which to be honest I did not expect the coating to protect against, but in retrospect even a cheaper Rs. 40K (Avery Dennison category) PPF would have definitely protected against. I wish I had spent my money on PPF instead, though how useful is it for Rs. 22 lakh Hyundai car is a separate discussion.
4. I still get 'spider-webbing', 'hard-water marks' and 'acid-marks from bird droppings' despite the coating and all my efforts.
When a piece of silica (sand) rubs against a plastic film - something has to give, usually its the plastic, but once you spend a bomb on a plastic film, you`ll be duty bound to protect that as well , perhaps ceramic coat a plastic film, now the ceramic is very expensive so to protect that a round of wax polish and then the cycle continues.

Whatever ceramic coating you did was to protect your paint and not having to deal with all this paint care routine that you have been doing. So in the end you`ll be back to square one.

A daily drive vehicle needs a round of ProKlear over the weekend - maybe a round of cream polish once or twice a year depending on usage.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed