Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 21:36   #421
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Most likely it happened during the repaint as the dealer (have faced it multiple times with Honda) didn’t bother masking the other panels and windows before respraying your door.

Clay may or may not remove paint overspray as each case varies, even if it does it will leave micro marring (fine swirls) in the paint as clay is abrasive and will require at least a 1 step paint correction to fix correctly.
In some cases you’ll need to wetsand as the absolute last resort but that is more an exception than the norm.

As detailers, we start with the least aggressive approach and step up until we get the results we’re aiming for, that’s the safest approach in my opinion. Would be more than happy to help you as I operate a detailing centre in Gurgaon - 5C Car Care. You can message for contact details or just put our name in google maps and you’ll get it. Cheers.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this.

I cannot message yet, so will try the Google way and call on the number available there.
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:44   #422
Senior - BHPian

Ceramic coating really helps but mainly depends on four factors:-
1. The professionals working on your car.
2. The procedure used by them. Curing and applying ways are important.
3. The quality of the product used. There are loads of duplicate and cheap products floating in the market.
4. When the coating is done? The newer the better. If your car is brand new, the coating will look better and last longer.

I did mine here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumba...mi-mumbai.html (Car Detailing : Detailing Dons (Kharghar & Mahalaxmi, Mumbai))

Last edited by Aditya : 4th December 2021 at 18:38. Reason: Punctuation, typo
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:56   #423
BHPian

I am contemplating Ceramic coating for my 2019 BMW X3.

Visited a local shop who suggested a brand called Motor Glaze https://motorglaze.in/

Says it’s at par / better than 3M and is giving me a 5 year warranty with free polishing every 6 months.

MRP is 28200 his quoting price is 24000.

I know this guy since a long time so I can always take warranty and service.

Questions are

1. Is ceramic coating really that expansive ?

2. Is motor glaze a good brand ?

3. Any other recommendations ?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:43   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
I am contemplating Ceramic coating for my 2019 BMW X3.

Visited a local shop who suggested a brand called Motor Glaze https://motorglaze.in/

Says it’s at par / better than 3M and is giving me a 5 year warranty with free polishing every 6 months.

MRP is 28200 his quoting price is 24000.

I know this guy since a long time so I can always take warranty and service.

Questions are

1. Is ceramic coating really that expansive ?

2. Is motor glaze a good brand ?

3. Any other recommendations ?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Let me answer your queries as i just got my vehicle coated last month.
Here is the review just in case you are interested to view
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Getting Artyom shielded again with IGL Kenzo (Graphene infused ceramic coating))

1.Most of the coatings are manufactured in Korea based upon my knowledge. Some are manufactured in India the local ones you hear from XYZ detailing shops.

2.The preparation for a ceramic coating involves polishing and compounding to even out the paint surface and remove any swirls and marks. Every time you do that its removing a very fine layer of clear coat and the more you do it the more depletion. Hence i would strongly against getting the top-up done every 6 months.

3.The 5 year warranty holds try IF and only IF the maintenance of coating is done properly. Maintenance is not difficult at all however it needs some dedication and technique to be followed.

4.The actual cost of the coating is usually the least expensive part. The majority of the expense is for the expertise and the preparation which is done by the detailer. This also means different detailers will quote different prices for the same job.24000 is a very reasonable number provided the product is good and offers what it promises.

5.Ceramic coating prices vary from city to city and brand to brand. A same brand coating can cost X in City A and Y in City B s there is not really an apple to apple comparison.

6.I have personally never heard of the brand Motor Glaze so no comments.

7.There are many other international brands like Carpro, Gyeon, GTechnique, Ceramic Pro, IGL Coatings. So I would suggest to search your city and make a note of various offerings by different brands and what all they are including in the package and then take the call.

8.Most brands offer 1,2,3,4,5 year coatings and the prices vary for each of them. You have to decide which one suits your requirement .The higher the number the thick is the coating.

9.Another suggestion is to get PPF done on your vehicle since yours is a luxury vehicle and the best protection will be offered by PPF.PPF is relatively more expensive but its the best you can give your vehicle. Plus PPF doesn't require any major maintenance and is a rough tough option. Again the prices vary from brand to brand .CAUTION: PPF will cost you in the range of 80k+ easily so keep that in mind.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th January 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Spaced out the post and picture for better readability & visibility. Thanks.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:52   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Let me answer your queries as i just got my vehicle coated last month.
Here is the review just in case you are interested to view
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Getting Artyom shielded again with IGL Kenzo (Graphene infused ceramic coating))
8.Most brands offer 1,2,3,4,5 year coatings and the prices vary for each of them. You have to decide which one suits your requirement .The higher the number the thick is the coating.
9.Another suggestion is to get PPF done on your vehicle since yours is a luxury vehicle and the best protection will be offered by PPF.PPF is relatively more expensive but its the best you can give your vehicle. Plus PPF doesn't require any major maintenance and is a rough tough option. Again the prices vary from brand to brand .CAUTION: PPF will cost you in the range of 80k+ easily so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the clarification buddy. All clear now.

Can you suggest a good brand for PPF coating ? 3M is unreasonably expensive.

I am giving it a serious thought.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th January 2022 at 08:20. Reason: u = you. No SMS language please. Please trim large posts when quoting and replying to it. Thanks.
Old 24th December 2021, 17:48   #426
BHPian

Quote:

Can you suggest a good brand for PPF coating ? 3M is unreasonably expensive.

Just like with Ceramic there are many fakes in the PPF domain as well.
3M and STEK are few which i heard are good but again i have seen people importing PPF from importers directly and getting them installed as well. So i would suggest check our forum and you will definately find a reliable installer in your city itself. I remember there is a seperate thread for PPF in TBHP which should help you in deciding.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th January 2022 at 08:20. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 02:02   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Can u suggest a good brand for PPF coating ? 3M is unreasonably expensive.

Good brands for PPF- Optimum self heal, Llumar, Expel, etc.
3M is priced at par if not cheaper than other big brands, generally you’re looking at ₹850-920/sq.ft which translates to around 1.6-1.9L for something like an X3 roughly. Keep in mind PPF doesn’t have the self cleaning, water beading and chemical resistance a quality ceramic coating has, which is why some people apply a ceramic coating over PPF but that gets expensive.

If you’re not doing heavy off roading or a lot of highway driving I’d recommend a high quality ceramic, unless you’re prone to getting rock chips (coatings won’t help with these). Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 14:15   #428
BHPian

Quote:

Can u suggest a good brand for PPF coating ? 3M is unreasonably expensive.

While Ceramic Coating gives a good sheen and protects the paint from bird droppings and minor scratches PPF will protect the car from real scratches. In my opinion it would be useful to get the scratch prone areas like the bumpers wrapped in PPF. I got the four corners of my XUV500 protected with PPF when I bought it in 2017; the corners have many scratches but have not reached the paint, Ceramic coating would not have withstood the scratches.
Old 9th January 2022, 17:44   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirjaipur View Post
While Ceramic Coating gives a good sheen and protects the paint from bird droppings and minor scratches PPF will protect the car from real scratches. In my opinion it would be useful to get the scratch prone areas like the bumpers wrapped in PPF. I got the four corners of my XUV500 protected with PPF when I bought it in 2017; the corners have many scratches but have not reached the paint, Ceramic coating would not have withstood the scratches.
PPF is definitely recommended if one can afford it. Else a good ceramic coating plus insurance with NCB protector should suffice. Can get the bumpers and fenders repainted through insurance if needed in case of deep scratches and stone hits.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:12   #430
BHPian

Re: Ceramic Pro Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I have had the Ceramic Pro coating done on my C250 at Indranagar.

Haven't done a write up on the forum because I actually wanted to see the results before I write up a review. It's been slightly over a month and a half since the car was coated.

I had 3 coats of 9h and one coat of light applied. I haven't had any issues or swirl marks develop on the car since. Water really beads away quickly. I have to hold my judgement for at least another 2 months before I am able to commit on the effectiveness.
Given how this ceramic coating job is now coming up on close to 5 years, it'd be interesting to know what the long term result of the ceramic coating has been like - given that's one of the main draws to getting this procedure done.

Could you share your experience? How the coating held up over the years? Did you feel the need to get anything else done between then and now?

Of course, that all is assuming you still have the car, but if you sold it, then how was your experience up to that point?

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2022 at 18:53. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Travis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 05:25   #431

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating getting the ceramic coating done for my 2019 Verna. However, there is a seemingly small portion with paint chipped off of sorts in the front bumper (black layer is visible), and a minor scratch in the rear one.

Being very fussy about scratches on my ride, in particular, I thought of getting either or both the bumpers re-painted at the ASC but sanity seems to have prevailed, and I'm now thinking, or rather hoping that the scratches might get taken care of in the preparation stage (claying, compounding, sanding, etc.) of the whole ceramic coating job done by a detailer.

Should I instead opt for a paint touch-up in the front bumper(from outside ASC) prior to the prep stage itself, and anticipate that there won't be any issues with the matching of paint, and neither would there be any apparent signs of botched paintwork post-application of the ceramic coating?

I would obviously not like to unnecessarily splurge on getting the bumper(s) repainted at the ASC, given that there would still be no subsequent assurance regarding the paintwork getting cent percent matched or that there would be no fading of the paint, etc.

Also, I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions regarding which detailing store should I get the ceramic coating done from - Alwaysdry or CeramicPro? (Assuming the services are priced even at 30-35k tops!)
Old 16th January 2022, 07:38   #432
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ceramic Pro Coating - Is it really useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Given how this ceramic coating job is now coming up on close to 5 years, it'd be interesting to know what the long term result of the ceramic coating has been like - given that's one of the main draws to getting this procedure done.

Could you share your experience? How the coating held up over the years? Did you feel the need to get anything else done between then and now?

Of course, that all is assuming you still have the car, but if you sold it, then how was your experience up to that point?
Hey Travis, that is a super old post that you have dug up.
I still do have the car with me and hope to hold on for atleast another year.

The ceramic coat has held up pretty well.
There have been the occasional swirls which the guys at ceramic pro have worked on from time to time. They remove the swirls and use ceramic pro sport after the swirls are removed. The car still retains a wet glossy look.
How ever with the advanced PPF that we have today I would suggest getting the film over the ceramic coat. They seem to be maintainance free.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:26   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
If you’re not doing heavy off roading or a lot of highway driving I’d recommend a high quality ceramic, unless you’re prone to getting rock chips (coatings won’t help with these). Cheers.
Are you aware of good detailing shops providing ceramic coating in Gurgaon? I searched over Google and found a dozen of them, all with good ratings, but literally no one mentions the pricing on their website and only a few mentioned the brand they are using.
Old 17th January 2022, 16:19   #434
BHPian

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board either directly or indirectly (over PM).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2022 at 18:45. Reason: Mod note attached.
AJ56 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:00   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakpun View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating getting the ceramic coating done for my 2019 Verna. However, there is a seemingly small portion with paint chipped off of sorts in the front bumper (black layer is visible), and a minor scratch in the rear one.

Being very fussy about scratches on my ride, in particular, I thought of getting either or both the bumpers re-painted at the ASC but sanity seems to have prevailed, and I'm now thinking, or rather hoping that the scratches might get taken care of in the preparation stage (claying, compounding, sanding, etc.) of the whole ceramic coating job done by a detailer.

I would obviously not like to unnecessarily splurge on getting the bumper(s) repainted at the ASC, given that there would still be no subsequent assurance regarding the paintwork getting cent percent matched or that there would be no fading of the paint, etc.

Also, I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions regarding which detailing store should I get the ceramic coating done from - Alwaysdry or CeramicPro? (Assuming the services are priced even at 30-35k tops!)
Paint chips need either a spot repaint (for 100% correction) or if you’re ok with slight imperfection (80-90% improvement) a touch up kit can be used like Dr. ColorChip, you put in your car details and they send you paint matched to your precise OEM shade, alternatively you can have the same shade mixed by your trusted body shop or get it from the authorised service centre (some brands give some don’t, Honda does for eg. in my personal experience). This step must be done prior to handing it over for ceramic coating.

The scratch, provided it’s not through the clearcoat, can be taken care of by the detailer during the coating process. Avoid the respray from the service centre as it has the potential to create more paint issues like pinholes, clear peeling off, excessive orange peel, fisheye, shade mismatch, etc.

Having said that there are body shops that do much better work than the authorised service centres (which are terrible) and can deliver paint quality even better than the original finish, but they’re rarer than unicorns in India and very expensive.

Ceramic Pro any day over the other one. Their coatings hold up well over the years provided you wash safely. Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks